The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synthétiseurs hardware for Trance / Trance Uplifting
Old 29th August 2020
Synthétiseurs hardware for Trance / Trance Uplifting

Hello,
I would like to have your opinion on this list of hardware for making Trance/ Trance Uplifting.

Nord wave 2
Nord lead a1
Sequential Pro 3
Roland mc 707
Roland tr 8 s
Argon 8 x 61 keys
Genelec 8040 bpm
Zoom Track L 12
If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to share them.
I thank you in advance
Old 29th August 2020
That's a very solid collection of gear. You could probably produce most any electronic music genre with that lineup, including trance.

Are you set for delays and reverbs? Maybe add an analog delay?
Old 29th August 2020
Thank you for your reply.

Here, I'm just asking your opinion for a set to compose Trance with hardware.

I haven't bought anything yet.

Indeed, even if already effects in the synths, a good Shimmer, analog delay would be a good idea
Old 29th August 2020
Phaser-delay combo is great for trance; something to create stutter edit/glitches/programmable gate. Compressor for side-chaining bass. Maybe possible with onboard synth fx?

IMO it's good to have some sort of freeform controller - like an X-Y finger pad (Kaoss-style), ribbon slider or joystick.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear
I think an access virus would fit in there nicely
Old 29th August 2020
I'm guessing you have decent keyboard skills and plenty of spare cash with that list? If so, looks great.

I'd probably be more cautious myself any buy the recorder, monitors, 707 and TR8s along with one keyboard initially. Then I'd work with that for some time to decide what I felt was missing before incrementally adding more stuff. But that's my cautious nature and perhaps my thinner wallet talking.

I would also be tempted by the Tascam Model 12 as an alternative to the Livetrak just because it has MIDI I/O! Anyway, read the manual for each and do a feature comparison before choosing.

A MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru would also be on my list to make life easier with MIDI interconnectedness. I'd also be considering a hardware sequencer - but that's a workflow preference that also probably says more about me than anything else.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Phaser-delay combo is great for trance; something to create stutter edit/glitches/programmable gate. Compressor for side-chaining bass. Maybe possible with onboard synth fx?

IMO it's good to have some sort of freeform controller - like an X-Y finger pad (Kaoss-style), ribbon slider or joystick.
Zoom CDR-70 has ”trance-Gate” FX + phasers and delays etc for $100.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal View Post
I'm guessing you have decent keyboard skills and plenty of spare cash with that list? If so, looks great.

I'd probably be more cautious myself any buy the recorder, monitors, 707 and TR8s along with one keyboard initially. Then I'd work with that for some time to decide what I felt was missing before incrementally adding more stuff. But that's my cautious nature and perhaps my thinner wallet talking.

I would also be tempted by the Tascam Model 12 as an alternative to the Livetrak just because it has MIDI I/O! Anyway, read the manual for each and do a feature comparison before choosing.

A MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru would also be on my list to make life easier with MIDI interconnectedness. I'd also be considering a hardware sequencer - but that's a workflow preference that also probably says more about me than anything else.
Might I add that MIDI mergers are also very useful in a hardware setup. I have two. One so that I can sequence sounds from my sampler by either a drum machine or my Alesis MMT-8 sequencer. The other one merges the output of my MMT-8 with the output of my MIDI interface so I can edit menu heavy synths without having to change my MIDI routing in between programming sounds and using my sequencer since the MMT-8 does not pass sysex through it as it can only record it.
Old 29th August 2020
Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed, this kind of effects essential for this style of music.

For the side chain, I plan to take a compressor. As well as a Kaoss Mk3 from Korg.

The Virus is really great, but really want a different sound.

Regarding my experience in synths, I manage.

In this list, I do not intend to take everything except the two Grooveboxes from Roland.

The why I ask your opinion on the choice of material and if you have other suggestions do not hesitate.

A good alternative to Tascam, thank you. As well as the midi device.

What could you advise me as a hardware sequencer?

Thank you for the info regarding the Zoom CDR 70.

Thank you for this clarification for the Midi.
Old 29th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancer View Post
It's a very personal choice and another preferred workflow question. Another thing to wait on - and learn what you actually need (or whether you need it at all) through experience.

For now, you can do some sequencing with the MC707 and TR8S. Your computer can fill any gaps and help you define which sequencer features you need.

I have an Arturia Beatstep Pro and some eurorack stuff. I like the KeyStep Pro and will probably get one at some point. They are simplistic performance-oriented sequencers however.

Very different to stuff like Squarp Pyramid or Cirklon or Polyend SEQ or the Yamaha QY series. Or stuff that includes sequencing in addition to sound like Akai or Elektron machines.

Suffice to say, these are wildly different workflows, features and pros and cons ... hence my statement that it's a personal choice.
Old 29th August 2020
You should add Berhinger TD3 and MS1 to your list .

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Trance? You want to make Trance?

You might as well sell your whole list of hardware, get one or 2 plugins such as Vengeance Avenger and/or Massive. Then maybe some kind of sampler plugin for beats and that's all you need, really.

Trance is sucha cookie cutter style of music that it's best catered for by plugins that provide cookie cutter presets

All just my opinion of course.
Old 29th August 2020

In fact, the tr and mc ensemble is an excellent duo.

On the other hand, I no longer want to go through a computer platform, except for updating the equipment, or my interest in Zoom and Tascam.

I would like to have a stand-alone system, no more computers. Regarding sequencers,

I will go deeper into the subject. As said in the title, I no longer want the virtual, only the hardware.

behringer is also relevant in view of its many products and for an unbeatable price, it has very good products and which have a very good sound reproduction

It is true that the virtual remains an excellent choice given the offer, but I don t want more.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

I think the two current budget synths from Modal are very trance, rude street trance. Their bigger Modal brothers and sisters are more polite lush trance. But yeah, I don't understand why Modal Craft 2 and Skulpt are not talked about more. Think about it, they have Modal dna. They run on batteries and I have mine rigged up to be edited by the ipad app, both at once. Next I plan to sequence them while tweaking from the ipad (revolutionary I know). The knobs on them are not the greatest but otherwise they are beasts that could cost twice as much for the sound they have. I have jptrfx micro saturators on them to fatten and warm up their digital character and let me tell you they are well worth the mixer channel space (and particularly since they are double mono).
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I‘d join the Sequentix Cirklon waiting list - it‘s hard to find a more capable hardware sequencer.
For recording you could buy an RME Fireface UFX II or UFX+. These are very good, low latency audio interfaces which allow for recording on an usb stick without computer too and have DC-coupled outputs for CV/Gate - in case you want to use the computer again you have the flexibility .
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal View Post
It's a very personal choice and another preferred workflow question. Another thing to wait on - and learn what you actually need (or whether you need it at all) through experience.

For now, you can do some sequencing with the MC707 and TR8S. Your computer can fill any gaps and help you define which sequencer features you need.

I have an Arturia Beatstep Pro and some eurorack stuff. I like the KeyStep Pro and will probably get one at some point. They are simplistic performance-oriented sequencers however.

Very different to stuff like Squarp Pyramid or Cirklon or Polyend SEQ or the Yamaha QY series. Or stuff that includes sequencing in addition to sound like Akai or Elektron machines.

Suffice to say, these are wildly different workflows, features and pros and cons ... hence my statement that it's a personal choice.
I like to learn and use multiple sequencers for each offers different workflow and therefore different end results. I would buy a bsp just to see what's up (i like the Impact sequencer) but it seems unless u get that analog drum module with the trigger ins the bsp is kind of wasted some? I want one of the black ones.
Old 29th August 2020
Thank you for your opinion,

I'm going to take a look at the modal site to find out more.

There is Argon 8x, could it meet my research?

The Sequentix could be an option.

I did not know that Rme UFX 2 AND UFX + interfaces could be used without a computer.

You still need one for updates I guess where it is used with a tablet?

I presume if so, the interfaces can work with a Samsung Android tablet?
Old 29th August 2020
Gear Addict

It's not really my field of expertise, but I think doing trance - or at least that kind of uplifting trance that you get presented when you google the term - is very hard to do with just hardware. It's a genre that lives in the software production world.

That being said, you might want to consider a sequencer that can do long sequences, or patterns, not something like the beatstep, or elektrons which only have 4 bar patterns. You want at least 8 bar patterns and with 16 steps per bar, to do typical verses with dotted eights and the harmony changing every two bars. You might need/want need long cc automations etc so an "advanced sequencer" is imo required.

On a sidenote, imo the mentioned slicer effect on the MS-70 - while overall a good pedal - is useless for serious use, you can't sync it to midi clock, or even keytrigger. The pattern arp on the Nord Wave 2 on the other hand would be something useful here if you want to jam live.

Also side-chaining is more difficult -or less flexible- with hardware. The TR-8 could do it or external compressor.

Sure you can make uplifting trance with hardware, but I would absolutely recommend that you have quite some experience with producing it completely with software before making the switch.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Why are you asking? Seriously. We could make trance with a virus or jp8000, an akai sampler, a multi fx and a compressor, all triggered from an Atari ST, going through a Mackie or soundcraft mixer. So yes, your list will work.

But why are you blocked with your current setup?
Old 29th August 2020

I have virtual experience. I have used Fl Studio 20, Nexus 2, Avenger, Spire, Sylenth 1, Omnisphere 2, Serum, the complete fx pack from Vengeance.

It is true that in this musical style, almost always Vst. I start from scratch and want more Virtual, even though I am aware that more possibilities.

Want hardware, even for recording.

I hesitate between the Nord Wave 2 and the a1 It is true the Virus and the Jp 8000 is undoubtedly the benchmark in the field.

But already so used in the prods.

The why, I'm looking for other synths with another personality, sound palette.

The why also, I'm looking for the most suitable models for this musical style

I am not stuck with my current setup.

Here I am asking your opinion on a list of shopping ideas and if you have any other suggestions let me know.

I do not have any material yet, the reason for my request
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have virtual experience. I have used Fl Studio 20, Nexus 2, Avenger, Spire, Sylenth 1, Omnisphere 2, Serum, the complete fx pack from Vengeance.

It is true that in this musical style, almost always Vst. I start from scratch and want more Virtual, even though I am aware that more possibilities.

Want hardware, even for recording.

I hesitate between the Nord Wave 2 and the a1 It is true the Virus and the Jp 8000 is undoubtedly the benchmark in the field.

But already so used in the prods.

The why, I'm looking for other synths with another personality, sound palette.

The why also, I'm looking for the most suitable models for this musical style

I am not stuck with my current setup.

Here I am asking your opinion on a list of shopping ideas and if you have any other suggestions let me know.

I do not have any material yet, the reason for my request
If you want another sound personality, anything will do, it's how you program and treat it. Hardware won't help you there. Of course if you like it simply go ahead and buy some stuff and enjoy the ride.
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear

It was common for trance artists to use computers to sequence their tracks... even in the 90's. Want to play with hardware? Sure go ahead! But it might be better for trance to use the computer to sequence your hardware. I love my hardware setup, using hardware sequencers but it works much better for live loopy techno stuff than the more song structure that most "uplifting" trance uses.
Old 30th August 2020
Thank you for your answers.

I agree with you on the programming issue.

On the other hand in the list, there is perhaps material which could duplicate, for example the Nord lead a1 and the Wave 2.

Which is more relevant, Wave 2 or Nord Lead a1 and for example the Pro 3, two different machines and each with their specificities.

I share your opinion for the mixing, much more ergonomic simple with a computer.

Now, I can perhaps sequence via midi with a mc 707 via the clock of this one and take a module with several midi I / O and synchronize everything.

For the recording, go for example on a Tascam model 12 style mixer.

I no longer have my pc which was intended to be optimized for music.

I have an i5 laptop with 8 gigabytes of ram.

So, most definitely not enough to run a Daw and a full mix.
Old 30th August 2020
Gear Addict

You could do it all with a Virus TI, Blofeld, Tempest drum machine and the Pyramid sequencer. You do need fx units especially if you're going for the modern trance style. I myself like the 90s/2000s style way more because I have the feeling producers took more time to compose something good unlike today when its heavily abused by effects in combination with a bad composition.
Old 30th August 2020
Thank you for your reply. I just watched the Pyramid, it seems to fit well and meet my expectations.

Regarding the Tempest, I really appreciate the products of this company.

On the other hand the Tempest, I do not hang. I prefer the Tr 8s and the Mc 707, a question of feeling.

The Virus always and again 😊, but heard too much as already said and really want to have another soundscape.

For the Blofeld, I already had the desktop version and it left me with a good sound impression, on the other hand the edition not great.

For the effects, the majority of those of origin on the synths are already amply sufficient.

But, a good delay / reveb / analog phaser why not.
Old 30th August 2020
Gear Nut

Waldorf Kyra (formerly Valkyrie).
Multitimbral, huge polyphony, very capable sound generator for this style I think.
Old 30th August 2020

The Kyra is an improved Virus, supercharged in view of the sounds.

It remains nonetheless interesting.

But if I had to choose between the two, it would be the Virus without any hesitation
Old 30th August 2020
Gear Nut

The Virus has better price, effects and (maybe) workflow.
Kyra has much to offer. I have both and am not sure which would be better for trance music, but either one will get the job done.
Old 30th August 2020
JDN
Lives for gear

I'm shocked JP-8000/8080 isn't mentioned more here...that is to me the definition of trance.
Old 30th August 2020
Thank you for your reply.

As you have the two machines, can you tell me more and the advantages and disadvantages, in relation to ergonomics, sounds, possibilities, thank you in advance,

that really interests me. Because rare to have feedback on the Kyra

Do you control your Kyra with a master keyboard?

If so, what did you have as a keyboard?

Indeed, the Jp is an integral part of the Trance, like a lot of Roland product.

I was tempted by System 8 elsewhere. But, you have to go through a daw to change the plug ins. In addition, keyboard a little limited for the possibilities that this product offers.

Ergonomics apparently is not its strong point. If anyone uses it, I will be happy to have more information about this product
📝 Reply