The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synthétiseurs hardware for Trance / Trance Uplifting
Old 3rd September 2020
Thank you for the info regarding the Montage.

Really did not know that this Workstation was especially dedicated to electronic music.

I'll take a look at this, but I don't think this kind of machine could interest me in my set right now. Thanks anyway for the info.
Old 3rd September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancer View Post
Thank you for the info regarding the Montage . . .
I appreciate that it might not be your cup of tea. But, seriously, check one out. Once you play one of tons of EDM patches you may change your mind. The automatic-ducking is cake.
Old 3rd September 2020
Yes I understand, sorry as new to me, I am a little scattered in my remarks.

I will try to be more clear and defined in my requests. I will take an example of a set that will be more simple and concrete. Based on the fact that I want to avoid the computer as much as possible, except because perhaps no other solution for multitrack recording.

Imagine, I have a Virus Ti2, Modal 001, Mc 707, Tr 8S, Pro 3. I would like this material to work with a hardware sequencer.

Make sequences on several tracks with the different synths, Mc, Tr.

The mixer, for example the Zoom, would record all the sequences of the different machines by the hardware sequencer. Synthes / Mc / Tr8 --------> Hardware Sequencer -------> Mixer Zoom.

I hope my request is clearer this way. What,

I have no idea at all, what hardware or machine sequencer can do this kind of thing (Akai Mpc, Elektron Octatrack Mk3, others).

Regarding the Elektron, the Analog Four Mk2, could be a choice for my set beyond a sequencer use, but maybe not immediately. Unless this is better than the Nord Lead A1, Pro 3.
Old 3rd September 2020
The Phantom, I don't know at all.

I'm not sure he could be a centerpiece in my future set.

Thank you for the info.

I'm going to watch the Phantom like you told me about it, which is the least, seeing as you answered.
Old 3rd September 2020
I suspect that the best is to try some machines, this way easier for a choice.

The concern, some synths are not in store, which makes a test impossible and therefore getting an idea is not easy.

I just went to listen to the Montage, as well as the ModX.

The ModX, which is apparently a Montage Light, sounds really great, its arpeggiator sequences motions impressive power.

A great sound discovery, thank you.

On the other hand, I don't think, given my current configuration of my future set, that the ModX is in its place, at least at the beginning.

Regarding the Phantom, not really liked. Thanks for the info anyway.

I will stick to the above-mentioned choices, one day perhaps, if the need, the usefulness to complete my set, I can certainly let myself be tempted by the Modx.

But in this case, I will stick to the choice of the beginning
Old 6th September 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Imagine, I have a Virus Ti2, Modal 001, Mc 707, Tr 8S, Pro 3. I would like this material to work with a hardware sequencer.

I have no idea at all, what hardware or machine sequencer can do this kind of thing (Akai Mpc, Elektron Octatrack Mk3, others).
Hi Trancer,

If I were you, I would try:

- Virus Ti2 or Nord Lead A1, choose only one that suits your taste more (I like immediacy of Nord Lead A1 and that would be my first choice, but I totally understand people, who would choose the former);

- Modal 001, but only if you find its sound appealing. I would recommend to at least try it yourself as it is very capable. And I am glad that there are no new, as this forces you to deal with life and face the risks of it - just buy with protection and video record with phone your unpacking of the parcel and then eventually deal with what emerges - more often it is only your fear and not reality. I have yet to receive damaged equipment and I bought stuff from around the world except southern hemisphere;

- MC-707 - I would go WITHOUT TR-8s for now and think about it after you try MC-707 first** and at least learn that you don't like it, and that would probably be because of not so immediate interface. Only after you find selection of your drums or immediacy of you drum/sample machine not good for you, think about next instrument;

- Pro 3, as it would give you VCO and new VCF flavours, also its wavetable oscillator differ from Modal 001 oscillators (and plural here is also what speaks for Modal 001 in complementing your setup);

- Mixer with recorder of your choice - either Tascam Model 12 or Zoom LiveTrak L-12.

- monitor speakers, headphones, cables and some space to put all that stuff.

And I would stop at this. Why no sequencer? Well, you didn't specify your phrase length and therefore I assume you have no idea what would that be. Best way to find out is by using what you will have at hand in setup above.

So: use MC-707 as your sequencer. Only after you find that MC-707 is lacking in your music production, you can specify, what is it that it lacks for you and we will have better insight at what to recommend you.

Anyway, less is more in some instances. Set yourself limit and don't burn money too fast. Buying gear used protects you from justifying your purchase, when it is not your cup of coffee. Or tea. Or juice. See? It is rather probable that you will try to rationalise you decision to not face fact of money lost in unhappy purchases.

Now: you need to think in signal buses in your setup. You will have audio buses, control buses, power buses. At beginning it is not much, but one thing should be learned from beginning - different bus types don't mix.

The setup will be like this:

MIDI bus

MC-707, port A --> Virus
MC-707, port B --> Pro 3 --> Modal 001

and that's it for sequencing.

Audio bus

MC-707, out L --(TR-TR)--> Mixer, in 1
MC-707, out R --(TR-TR)--> Mixer, in 2
Pro 3, out L --(TR-TR)--> Mixer, in 3
Pro 3, out R --(TR-TR)--> Mixer, in 4
001, out L --(TRS-TRS)--> Mixer, in 5
001, out R --(TRS-TRS)--> Mixer, in 6
*) Modal 001 has no effects, but you could send it thru MC-707 external input and magle it from there.
Nord A1, out 1 --(TR-TR)--> Mixer, in 7
Nord A1, out 2 --(TR-TR)--> Mixer, in 8
Mixer, Master out L --(XLR-XLR)--> Speaker L
Mixer, Master out R --(XLR-XLR)--> Speaker R

I know, that you know it, when you hold cables and it should be just as simple as that, but now you need to think with it in more structured way. Or you might surprise yourself with no more inputs in your mixer and two plugs in your hand. :D
And also remember about plug types - I checked all manuals and found out that only Modal 001 sends balanced signal therefor wrote down TRS plug.

Power bus is how you distribute power from your outlets via splitter and power surge protection. ;]

Now, you CAN mix bus types, but only after you know, what you are doing, so let's leave it at that for now. It is like with banana jacks: "Do I need banana sockets?", "If you need to ask, answer is NO". You will know, when you know. And I don't know many people who use AC to audio and that is one crazy guy whose creations barely can be named "music". :]

Oh, and if you feel pressure to buy some kind of sequencer - buy used Squarp Pyramid. I know reasons, why some might not like it, like interface and way of work for me, but first - at least try it and write down your remarks. At least this one is not expensive.

What next?

Check this:
Cordially,
Norman

**) some people would recommend to buy only MC-707 and try how do you like your new way of making music and what would you change to improve your experience, working up toward better setup.
Old 6th September 2020
Yeah. VirusTI definitely.
Old 6th September 2020
Lives for gear
I’m still not sure if the sequencer in the 707 would be enough for what the OP is trying to do. I think the MPC One or MPC Live would be better for more complex melodic sequencing than the MC-707. Both MPC’s have something like 32 MIDI tracks, 8 audio tracks, 8 standalone plugin tracks, and I’m not sure how many drum/keygroup sampler tracks. I use my MPC Live 2 to sequence all my synths including an MC-101 that I primarily use as just a sound module.

I do think it would still be worthwhile to get the MC-707 first and if it can’t sequence to the OP’s needs and then looking into one of the MPC’s at that point.
Old 7th September 2020
Hello Norman,

First of all, I thank you very sincerely for your very complete answer and for your opinion.

A very big thank you again.

I read your opinion with great attention, I watch a lot of videos on the Modal 001, on the Pro 3.

The Pro 3 looks more inspiring, although the Modal 001 is no doubt a great machine.

I will follow your advice and start with the Mc 707, there will always be time to take the Tr 8 S later.

On the other hand, I also look at the side of a sequencer in case the Mc 707 is not sufficient.

It seems to me that a Mpc would be more suitable in view of its possibilities to fill the so necessary lack of the Mc. What do you think ?

I really hesitate between the Virus and the Nord Lead a1.

Even if preference for the Virus, even if it is a little dated, it still remains a reference and which I think has not yet been dethroned even after so many years.

Regarding the speakers, I have a room for my future home studio of 20 m 2, even if not at all the same speakers, I am looking for speakers with crystal clear sound, with a presence of all sound spectra and a good presence in the bass.

For the mixing desk, I think I take the Zoom.

Indeed, I do not know the length of my sentences, I put it in your opinion and expertise, I will only take the Mc 707 at the beginning.

There will still be time thereafter to evolve in my set. Thanks for your wise advice.

Thanks also for the configuration of cables, models and links. I will think a little more about the set and I will be sure to let you know. Thank you again for your kindness and your opinion.

Fabian
Old 7th September 2020
Thank you for your answer.

I check out videos and the Mpc manual and watch l Akai Force as well.

If I had to take a hardware sequencer, I think that given the possibilities offered, it would be more the Mpc than the Pyramid.
Old 8th September 2020
I have watched a lot of Akai Force videos and tutorials.

For informations, as a hardware sequencer, the Force is better than the Mpc Live 2 ?
Old 9th September 2020
After reflection and following your advice, in particular that of Norman, again a very big thank you to you and maj for Norman.

Here is the final set.

Access Virus Ti2

Roland Mc 707

Sequential Pro 3

Zoom Track L 12

Genelec 8040 bpm

Regarding Modal, I like it well, but I prefer to buy it in the store where I buy my equipment.

The waiting time is really too long, when it becomes available again I will take it.

Perhaps afterwards, if the Mc 707 shows its limits in relation to my use, I will take an Mpc One.

Otherwise, I really like the Rev 2, but it most definitely risks duplicating the Pro 3.

I'm looking to have a different sound palette and mix sounds with a different grain. I'm thinking of Moog's Peak or Subsequent 37
Old 9th September 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
After reflection and following your advice, in particular that of Norman, again a very big thank you to you and maj for Norman.

Here is the final set.

Access Virus Ti2

Roland Mc 707

Sequential Pro 3

Zoom Track L 12

Genelec 8040 bpm

Regarding Modal, I like it well, but I prefer to buy it in the store where I buy my equipment.

The waiting time is really too long, when it becomes available again I will take it.

Perhaps afterwards, if the Mc 707 shows its limits in relation to my use, I will take an Mpc One.

Otherwise, I really like the Rev 2, but it most definitely risks duplicating the Pro 3.

I'm looking to have a different sound palette and mix sounds with a different grain. I'm thinking of Moog's Peak or Subsequent 37
Hey, I am glad that I could help!

I think that you will have superb starting platform for great productions. After you hook up everything and learn it, you should know, where are limitations, that are counterproductive and you will be better prepared to expanding your gear.

One thing that I would think about are monitors. Have you considered APS? They have great quality to price ratio. I am using pair of APS Klasik in my one flat and pair of APS Aeon in another. Both work great and those Klasik have more bass than my neighbours can handle. ;]

Cheers!
Norman
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here is the final set.

Access Virus Ti2

Roland Mc 707

Sequential Pro 3

Zoom Track L 12

Genelec 8040 bpm

cool! Hope you enjoy it! I assume you will bounce your stems/submixes to the L12 to workaround the 8 tracks limit of the MC707?
Old 10th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here is the final set.

Access Virus Ti2

Roland Mc 707

Sequential Pro 3

Zoom Track L 12

Genelec 8040 bpm

Don't forget about hardware sidechain. Without this effect trance music does not exist.

https://suonobuono.net/nabcp/

Last edited by sakamoto; 10th September 2020 at 06:56 PM..
Old 10th September 2020
Again a big thank you to you and you Norman.

Indeed, I think I have a good starting set, a balance to evolve subsequently as needed.

It's fun to discover new machines and learn a very different operating system than usual, my last set was only virtual.

Regarding the speakers, I went to the site and looked on the Internet.

These speakers look really good, even better than the Genelec 8040 bpm.

I thank you again for your patience, kindness, your help.

Thank you to all of you for participating and helping me with my research.

Indeed, I intend to use the Zoom in this way.

I did not know this side chain module at all, a big thank you for the info.

It will be an additional purchase and very useful for my use.
Old 14th September 2020
Here for the gear

Ti2 + séquentiel pro 3 , on the same Time ?
SP 3 as a midi contrôler also ?
What about the audio interface ?
Neumann kh10 much better for trance ( midrange l flat réponse )
Old 14th September 2020
M32
Lives for gear

Funny no-one has mentioned the SH101 yet. It was used ostensibly for those rubbery, snappy rolling basses and for leadsounds. The bender/modwheel combo is great for animating melodic stuff, and it sits nicely in the mix in front of those big pads and supersaws.
To me the sound of trance was almost 100 percent Virus, Nord Lead and SH101. Often just the stock presets.
Old 15th September 2020
Thanks for your feedback.

The Virus Ti2 and the Pro 3 together indeed.

A different sound imprint and it should complement each other well.

What are you talking about SP 3?

My audio interface will be a 3rd generation Focusrite 2i2. I got the second and very good product.

Regarding the Neumann speakers, I did not know.

I went to the site and I prefer the Genelec.

If I had to take into account the purchase of the Neumanns,

I would rather take the Adam A8 X.

Indeed, the HS 101 a sacred reference.

The Nord lead, it is true an excellent machine for the trance.

I prefer the A1 more to the Nord lead 4 personally.

The Virus remains the pinnacle, still today.

Not yet matched and not yet surpassed.

There is the Valkyrie, but, I prefer the Virus anyway. Regarding the north, apart from more direct access, it risks duplicating the Ti2 Virus.

Now, the choice of the Pro 3 is quite simply due to a different sound from the Virus, the reason for my choice instead of the Nord lead A1.

For the SH 101, if I want to acquire it, the model from Behringer seems not bad.
Old 17th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback.

The Virus Ti2 and the Pro 3 together indeed.

A different sound imprint and it should complement each other well.

What are you talking about SP 3?

My audio interface will be a 3rd generation Focusrite 2i2. I got the second and very good product.

Regarding the Neumann speakers, I did not know.

I went to the site and I prefer the Genelec.

If I had to take into account the purchase of the Neumanns,

I would rather take the Adam A8 X.

Indeed, the HS 101 a sacred reference.

The Nord lead, it is true an excellent machine for the trance.

I prefer the A1 more to the Nord lead 4 personally.

The Virus remains the pinnacle, still today.

Not yet matched and not yet surpassed.

There is the Valkyrie, but, I prefer the Virus anyway. Regarding the north, apart from more direct access, it risks duplicating the Ti2 Virus.

Now, the choice of the Pro 3 is quite simply due to a different sound from the Virus, the reason for my choice instead of the Nord lead A1.

For the SH 101, if I want to acquire it, the model from Behringer seems not bad.
The perfect match will be the TI2 desktop + Hydrasynth ( just phénoménal for melodic trance ** pure polyphonic Aftertouch )

How you will connect these 2 synth into 2i2 ? ADAT INPUT ?
Also curious about the PC setup i7 ? I9 ?
Old 19th September 2020
Thank you for your reply.

L Hydrasynth, I listened to it and the videos didn't really convince me.

I suspect it's pretty good, but what more can it offer me than the Pro 3.

The Pro 3 arpeggiator sequencer is magnificent, can the Hydrasynth offer me so much flexibility and ergonomics?

For the PC, I will certainly take an I9 with 32 gigabytes of ram, for the I9, I am inquiring because not sure that for audio the number of cores is so important, I mean by that, the capacity of the daw to take charge of it.

On the other hand, apparently the clock frequency is important.

Regarding the audio interface, the 2i2, because I intend to use the MC 707 to sequence the two synths.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

Did you consider Novation Nova desktop or Supernova?
They are both excellent for trance, especially for the renowed sequencer.
Also check Mpc Live for sequencing/sampling, it has a very nice filter gate that sounds perfect for Trance
Old 19th September 2020
Thank you for your reply.

Indeed the Super Nova a pure wonder.

But, I don't want to buy used equipment, repairs, parts that are not always easy to find, see, plus the components produced.

Concerning the Mpc, very interesting machine, but, if the MC 707 is sufficient, I do not initially intend to take another sequencer.

I have explored the subject a bit, if the MC 707 is not suitable, the Mpc could be an option.
Old 19th September 2020
Quote:

Here is the final set.

Access Virus Ti2

Roland Mc 707

Sequential Pro 3

Zoom Track L 12

Genelec 8040 bpm

Why do you need the zoom mixer? If you’re only using two stereo synths then the 707 has two steep inputs so you could use two channels of the MC-707 as a mixer to adjust volume, pan, add effects, compression, EQ, record loops, sample etc. This is how I use it but I use one stereo input (Peak) and two mono inputs (BassStation2 and TD-3)
Old 4 weeks ago
Thank you for your answer.

Considering that two synths, I intend to use only MC 707, if not sufficient, at this time I intend to take another sequencer.
📝 Reply