The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Buying something nice
Old 27th August 2020
Here for the gear

Buying something nice

Hello everyone,

I was hoping for some direction or guidance.

This could potentially be a long post so apologies in advance to anyone that reads, and yes, it's another of these types of threads,which I acknowledge are annoying to some.

Long story short - I've ended up with some money that wasn't expected, and once the grown up stuff has been taken care of, I have £1000 left over.

As it has been for everyone else on the planet, this year has been particularly trying. For me this has been compounded by my son having a life changing diagnosis, a parent passing and a sibling having life altering surgery (to mention just a few things from this year!).

The Mrs has said I can spend on whatever I want, and naturally I want something for the studio.

Because it's a hefty wad of cash, I'd like to get something really nice, that I wouldn't normally consider.

I know people like as much information as possible, in these thought exercises so..
My set up is mainly samplers these days, and I use ableton on a pc.
I play live in an electronic duo, and my tastes tend to be in the real of eletronia and techno.
I have octatrack mk2, mpc one, toraiz sp-16

Things I'm currently considering are:

Tanzbar 2

Tasty chips gr 1

Isla s2400

Norns

Mod duo x

Access virus ti

I'd like suggestions of things that are a bit different, or that are unique. I'm happy for a difficult learning curve, as it's something I'd like to buy for life.

Again apologies for the length of post and the type of post, however these types of forums are really the best place to ask these questions!

Thanks for your responses.

B.
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Empress Zoia is pretty unique effects wise, I’m aiming to get one in the next few months.

Gotharman Tiny LD is very unique and crazy.

Prophet REV2 module or a Peak could be fun.
Old 27th August 2020
Lives for gear

Oh. If I had spare cash I wanted to convert into something nice I wouldn't mind a Tasty Chips GR1. No direct sampling is a big let down for me though.

But... so cool.

Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Empress Zoia is pretty unique effects wise, I’m aiming to get one in the next few months.

Gotharman Tiny LD is very unique and crazy.

Prophet REV2 module or a Peak could be fun.
Thanks for this. I've looked at the gotharman stuff and it does seem to be pretty unique and versatile

With the Zoia, would you say there's less or more versatility than the mod duo X?

And a rev2 module is a fantastic suggestion!!!

Thanks
Old 27th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
Oh. If I had spare cash I wanted to convert into something nice I wouldn't mind a Tasty Chips GR1. No direct sampling is a big let down for me though.

But... so cool.

It is such a lovely piece of kit, isn't it!

I need to research it a bit more, as I wasn't aware that there was no direct sampling. I watched the (loopop?) video and must have missed that.

Thanks
Old 28th August 2020
Here for the gear

Last night, I spent a lot of time looking at videos for the Peak and the Essence FM

The EssenceFM looks amazing, albeit it out of budget. I may have to spend some time in the thread for that one.

The Peak, I haven't paid much attention to as I find Novation to have a particular 'sound', which isn't for my tastes. However they're a fantastic company in regards to both innovation and support.... May need to delve deeper.

Anyway, enough rambling on... Thanks everyone!

B
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear

AMS Hydrasynth?
Old 28th August 2020
Gear Guru

Did you look at the a4 mk2?

Brilliant synth, so under rated and seeing as you already know the otmk2 it would make sense and looking at your setup it seems to suit your chosen workflow

I'm in the s2400 train, that's going to be quite a special piece of gear I am sure , looking forward to mine arriving
Old 28th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Did you look at the a4 mk2?

Brilliant synth, so under rated and seeing as you already know the otmk2 it would make sense and looking at your setup it seems to suit your chosen workflow

I'm in the s2400 train, that's going to be quite a special piece of gear I am sure , looking forward to mine arriving
Hi Jamie,

I was a long time user of the A4 mk1 (as well as AR, DT and DN!), and it's a fantastic machine - capable of so much more than you would expect. I'm not sure if I would like a return though - time to see what else is out there!

And the S2400 has really piqued my interest as well. It appears to be nailing the OG and then some. I'm interested to see the beta units in action, particularly as I see Mr Kenny Dope is one of the testers!

Thanks

B
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
AMS Hydrasynth?
Hi Mprinsen,

I've only watched a couple of vids for the Hydra and it's not really got me interested. Perhaps I'm watching the wrong ones though!

Do you have any experience with it yourself? Is there something I've missed that makes it an essential purchase?

Thanks

B
Old 28th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrydonut View Post
I'd like suggestions of things that are a bit different, or that are unique. I'm happy for a difficult learning curve, as it's something I'd like to buy for life.
Pulsar-23 is a bit over-budget but would fit this description.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Pulsar-23 is a bit over-budget but would fit this description.
Hahaha that thing is both brilliant and completely bonkers - I'm not sure teo lifetimes would be enough to get my head around it
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi Jamie,

I was a long time user of the A4 mk1 (as well as AR, DT and DN!), and it's a fantastic machine - capable of so much more than you would expect. I'm not sure if I would like a return though - time to see what else is out there!

And the S2400 has really piqued my interest as well. It appears to be nailing the OG and then some. I'm interested to see the beta units in action, particularly as I see Mr Kenny Dope is one of the testers!

Thanks

B
yeah i can understand that Barry, i had mk1 and moved upto mk2 which is a keeper but yeah if i was in your shoes then of course try some new blood

well the 2400 is supposed to go up by about 600 so if you are tempted now is the time to give in, my total invoice inc. shipping to England was about 800quid, i expect this rise will happen once the demos hit because interest is going to shoot up as the OS and features start to get shown and like you say, we will have house guys showing it too
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for this. I've looked at the gotharman stuff and it does seem to be pretty unique and versatile

With the Zoia, would you say there's less or more versatility than the mod duo X?

And a rev2 module is a fantastic suggestion!!!

Thanks
I think the Zoia is a bit more versatile as it has more modulation. It can do osc FM, but it can’t audio modulate every parameter yet, you just have LFO’s up to 40hz...get a Nord G1 if you want audio rate modulation on everything Lololol. Of course the Reverb on Zoia is worth the price alone.

The Critter Guitari Organelle is in the same ballpark, open source instruments that people make crazy stuff for. The organelle has ports of mutable instruments stuff on which is cool.

The Peak has plenty of audio rate mod, as does the REV2, looping envelopes, fast LFO’s etc on both of them, and...on both you can modulate effects parameters!

Now I don’t own those synths but I’ve had a lot of fun modulating effects parameters in the past and you can get some insane weird sounds.

Of course, if I didn’t have one already, my “second hand” pick, and think I would buy instantly is an Ensoniq EPS16+ and a floppy emulator to go in it, it’s the best synth I’ve ever used, hands down...so unique.
Old 29th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

well the 2400 is supposed to go up by about 600

This is really useful information, thanks for the heads up. I've been giving the specs another look and watched some vids and it does seem to be calling to me!

Do you happen to know if it will time stretch audio, ala octatrack? If I can play loops in sync (like I were djing), it would be really hard to not place a preorder.

Thanks again

B
Here for the gear

Quote:

The Critter Guitari Organelle is in the same ballpark,
Oh yes, this is another of those unlimited playground /pure data type things, isn't it.

I like the idea of these types of things and can see myself using it for all sorts, however I do have concerns about the 'programming' aspect of all these devices. I know there's a large community and database, so I suspect most things would be covered,but having no experience in that world, I'd be at the mercy of developers /prgrammers/community etc.

Norns was also something that I have taken a look at,in a similar vein.

Maybe I'm worried about option paralysis!

Thanks for the reply!

B
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is really useful information, thanks for the heads up. I've been giving the specs another look and watched some vids and it does seem to be calling to me!

Do you happen to know if it will time stretch audio, ala octatrack? If I can play loops in sync (like I were djing), it would be really hard to not place a preorder.

Thanks again

B
t.s is not here at firmware 1.0 but he has said it will happen so do what you will with that info

never buy something on what will happen though, that way you aren't pi$$$ed off later if it doesn't happen no reason why he wouldn't implement it though, he has been very clear all the way through this last 18 months or more and has said many many times this machine is way over powered so he can keep adding crazy stuff - i believe him or i wouldn't put my money down

tbf though if you are djing the pitch fader isn't time stretch anyway
Old 29th August 2020
Lives for gear
I personally would snag a Rev2 desktop if I had the cash right now. A full analog 8-voice synth with 3 envelopes, 4 LFO’s, effects, and a modulation matrix? Can’t go wrong there. The Novation Peak is another close contender for me as well.
Old 29th August 2020
M32
Lives for gear

Start building a little eurorack setup?

Some nice filters,& some weird Noise engineering modules would make a kickass techno rig addition.
Behringer's new eurorack 19 inch racks + psu only cost 99 euro's...

Plus, you'll never have this spare cash problem anymore. ever
Old 30th August 2020
Gear Guru

For $1000 I’d suggest things that were a bit different than what you mentioned. Since you already use Live, I’d suggest looking at things that aren’t purely digital. My experience is they’re too similar sounding than what you maybe already have.

Prophet 08 module. (might even be able to get an REV2 8 voice)
Prophet 12 module
Peak
Analog Four
Grandmother

All unique with nothing really similar sounding in software and fun to use. I think any one would complement what you already have nicely, though it might be good to know what kind of music you’re making.
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear
Why not put the money towards a family holiday in the future?
Old 30th August 2020
Lives for gear

iPad Pro.
Old 30th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
The Peak has plenty of audio rate mod, as does the REV2, looping envelopes, fast LFO’s etc on both of them, and...on both you can modulate effects parameters!

Now I don’t own those synths but I’ve had a lot of fun modulating effects parameters in the past and you can get some insane weird sounds.
The REV2 only has oscillator mod source for the filter. Still, it’s a crack’n good synth.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog8 View Post
Why not put the money towards a family holiday in the future?
A friend of mine who works or a major healthcare company says to buckle-up for another year or so of this, even if there is a vaccine, so I’d get the synth so the next year isn’t as grim.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
The REV2 only has oscillator mod source for the filter. Still, it’s a crack’n good synth.
Yes, but the LFOs go quite high too, or you can loop an envelope very fast. Or all at the same time 😂
📝 Reply