The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nostalgia thread
Old 17th August 2020
Nostalgia thread

Anything music related, showing how our industry has changed etc..old synth adds, gear commercials, pics, magazines, videos you name it, I'll start with this..

Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

Ok. I was 14 years old. My guitar player buddy and I would ride our bikes to the local White Front store because they had a great record (or vinyl) department. They had a "new release" rack at the entrance of the department. Aside from Beatle releases, these two days changed my life forever. The release or "Fresh Cream" and "Are you experienced?"
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

I was in the front there somewhere high as F%&K on diet pills I stole from my mom LOL!!
A scrawny long haired Heavy Metal kid up to no good..
I remember thinking they sound nothing like the record they kind of sucked.

Stayed the frist three days bailed on the forth day country LOL!

Memory is kind of spotty as I stayed high for the whole thing..
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

Well, for starters, bands used to play live
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
I was in the front there somewhere high as F%&K on diet pills I stole from my mom LOL!!
A scrawny long haired Heavy Metal kid up to no good..
I remember thinking they sound nothing like the record they kind of sucked.

Stayed the frist three days bailed on the forth day country LOL!

Memory is kind of spotty as I stayed high for the whole thing..
I heard it was very hot, and sweaty. 400,000 people, or something. Wasn’t that before shout at the devil was released?
Old 18th August 2020

loads of synths..
Old 18th August 2020
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
I heard it was very hot, and sweaty. 400,000 people, or something. Wasn’t that before shout at the devil was released?
Yes very hot & sweaty + knucklehead kid like me wanting to be up front ..
The Motley Crue video is a lil cringy but back in the day things were less PC, different times.

I remember David Bowie with Stevie Ray Vaughan The Clash Van Halen Flock of Seagulls Missing Persons U2 Pretenders Stray Cats & all of the Metal day but the rest of the bands are not in my memory banks..
Old 18th August 2020

loads of synth and drum machine ads..
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Addict

I remember jamming with my buddy in his parent's garage and going to the record store to buy any metal records we could get a hold off. Many years later he joined this band...

Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

"I love the music of the 20th century!" - James Cole, 12 Monkeys
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

I was at this show at this arena, but I am not in the video. Everyone should watch this

Old 18th August 2020
Here for the gear

Old 19th August 2020
Here for the gear

Old 19th August 2020
Here for the gear

Old 19th August 2020
Here for the gear

Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I was at this show at this arena, but I am not in the video. Everyone should watch this

Hahaha Heavy Metal Parking Lot classic, somehow I doubt you were there...
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Hahaha Heavy Metal Parking Lot classic, somehow I doubt you were there...
Let's see grew up in Maryland, was into the whole 80s metal scene, the Cap Centre was less than 20 minutes from my house, my high school graduation was there, I even used to work there

Loved Judas Priest (still do) so yeah I was there.
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let's see grew up in Maryland, was into the whole 80s metal scene, the Cap Centre was less than 20 minutes from my house, my high school graduation was there, I even used to work there

Awesome! Forgive me for doubting you. We probably would have got along back then, brothers in arms..
I saw Priest at the US festival they definitely were a well oiled machine!
Old 19th August 2020

so many pianos and good look back at how crap video was only just in the 90's, it's amazing we have iphones that can film so good only 25 years later..
Old 19th August 2020
Quote:

Great one Grasspike! This event/video is somewhat legendary in Maryland, DC. I have several co-workers that claim to have been there, one even claiming they are in the video itself.

I never heard of this video before I moved up the GW Metro area..to which native Marylanders respond "no way, you have to watch this now!!"

It documents some of the rarest and most impressive species of mullets known to the Chesapeak Bay area at that time.
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Great one Grasspike! This event/video is somewhat legendary in Maryland, DC. I have several co-workers that claim to have been there, one even claiming they are in the video itself.

I never heard of this video before I moved up the GW Metro area..to which native Marylanders respond "no way, you have to watch this now!!"

It documents some of the rarest and most impressive species of mullets known to the Chesapeak Bay area at that time.
I proudly had an impressive mullet back then lol

Highlight for me is of course the great Glen Burnie/Baltimoron accents that can only be found here in Maryland

And of course shoutouts to all the 80s Metal Chicks you made the 80s metal scene AWESOME!!!

Ahhhh the 80s decade of big hair and big snares

Scary to think all of us in that parking lot are now in our 50s! Many (like me) are even grandparents
Old 19th August 2020
Gear Guru

well the first signs of senility are .. errrm ... damn! I forget what it is just now
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wishing for a follow up at the end of this video, like the tripping dude becomes a mega church pastor, the hot blonde has a sex change operation, the security guard becomes a US senator, the falling over drunk guy becomes an AA counselor
etc.etc.

Last edited by Analog Rob Lowe; 19th August 2020 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: AA
Old 19th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

Sounds like this thread is taking a trip down memory lane to suburban white trash circa 1980's.
Old 19th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Sounds like this thread is taking a trip down memory lane to suburban white trash circa 1980's.
Let's hear more about your rectal smegma obsession instead. That's always fascinating.
Old 20th August 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
You say that like its a bad thing!
Old 20th August 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

First Prophet 5 etc ad I saw in a magazine, International Musician I think it was. I made a photocopy and put it up on my bedroom wall.

Old 20th August 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

and this centrefold too

spot the mistake
Old 20th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
and this centrefold too

spot the mistake
The thumb key?