The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Someone please make a damn rack sampler! Now!!!! Or else...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmer View Post
yes. my tastes wernt dance music, bloody awful racket.
A good DJ is a good DJ even besides that kind of techno dance music it has become associated with. Somebody who controls how the music flows no matter the genre, or whether they're injecting 303 squelches or rubber ducky squeaks between tunes (or as the tune, but then they're more the musical act than the "DJ" anyway as I see it). Hate that all these old terms have been captured by certain musical trends (that are passing into history themselves).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes. my tastes wernt dance music, bloody awful racket.
please dont force that "you need to understand" claptrap on me. i dont like dance music, end of.
each to their own, agree to disagree and move on.
Oh, you're perfectly free to like what you like. I'm just saying that the idea of DJ'ing isn't going to make much sense outside of dance music, so if you don't like it then that's that. You're also of course free to get annoyed that other people do enjoy it and see an art form in it, but, yeah. Each to their own, agree to disagree, move on?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i never got the whole dj worship thing,
worshipping someone who can put a record on?

i did like The Golden Path.
Well it's a bit more involved than that, you are looking at someone that is finding music and pushing it, understanding how to mix it with other music over a period of time to build feeling and get people going in a club. It's quite skilled.

I never understood good chefs though, just mixing together stuff they didn't create, coming up with tasty combinations. Any idiot can do that.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Well it's a bit more involved than that, you are looking at someone that is finding music and pushing it, understanding how to mix it with other music over a period of time to build feeling and get people going in a club. It's quite skilled.

I never understood good chefs though, just mixing together stuff they didn't create, coming up with tasty combinations. Any idiot can do that.
i dont understand the facination of todays djs. as most are playing tracks that sound the same, mixing boringly.

a computer could do better.

couldn't hold a candle to the likes of carl cox ect.. of yesteryear who'll take two completely different sounding tracks and cut them up to make them fit together.

imo..

example: https://youtu.be/muMAs2lYMas?t=744

Last edited by Preston135; 3 days ago at 02:05 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post
i dont understand the facination of todays djs. as most are playing tracks that sound the same, mixing boringly.

couldn't hold a candle to the likes of carl cox ect.. of yesteryear who'll take two completely different sounding tracks and cut them up to make them fit together.

imo..
I don’t know much about nowadays, haven’t been to a club in 10 years I guess

Was just trying to say that being a good DJ is not straight forward.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston135 View Post

imo..

example: https://youtu.be/muMAs2lYMas?t=744
This parodic video just nailed it some years ago:

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I went to a restaurant once. Ordered an entrecote steak and to my shock, the chef didn't kill and skin the cow right there, but used a pre-killed cow instead. How lame and needless to say, I left the restaurant immediately and refused to pay.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I consider good DJ'ing actually a very difficult skill. Not the beat syncing part, but the time and effort required to build up a good collection of music and knowing when to play each track. It takes lots of practice to be so good at at that that it's obvious you're better than the rest. I most certainly am not a good or even decent DJ and I value the good ones like Joe Claussell, Danny Krivit, DJ EZ etc quite highly.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
I went to a restaurant once. Ordered an entrecote steak and to my shock, the chef didn't kill and skin the cow right there, but used a pre-killed cow instead. How lame and needless to say, I left the restaurant immediately and refused to pay.
i went to a resto once (in china)
the chef took me backstairs, to a staple of aquariums/tanks
i had to point to the fish i wanted on my plate
📝 Reply