The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your go to Tool to create your Rhythm Track ?
Old 1st August 2020
Lives for gear

What's your go to Tool/s to create your Rhythm Track ?

Hi,

OK, so now that you have all these great sounding Synths, what is your go to tool to make some sizzling beats, basically what's your favorite rhythm track generation tool/s ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Last edited by muziksculp; 5th August 2020 at 07:01 AM..
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Nut

Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

DAW piano roll, using a mouse.
Old 2nd August 2020
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

For the past 10-12 years, it's been Maschine. It's the quickest and most inspiring tool I use for composing and constructing rhythms, bass lines, etc. The work flow and design aren't really conducive to complete studio production, but for jamming and coming up with interesting grooves on the fly it's really good. I especially like how quickly I can audition and construct new drum kits from the huge library of sounds they give you, and how smoothly it integrates with NI Komplete Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Maschine has pretty much made me forsake most of my old beat making standbys out of convenience. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I don't have to be nearly as resourceful as I used to be when working with outboard gear -- mostly hardware samplers and drum machines -- to create rhythms and other backbone elements of larger projects.

Runner up for me is Kong in Reason. Nothing fancy, but it does the job.

Previously my go-to's were the RS7000, MC909, Fantom X7, and Fantom G8. Sometimes the Korg M3. I still use them now and then just because I like them and I'm familiar with the interfaces.

More informally, I'd use the EMX and ESX alongside the MC909. That's a great combination.

I still wish someone would make a new hardware sampler with a multi track sequencer as straightforward and useful as the EPS I used in the late 80s and ASR-10 I used in the 90s. There's a reason that hip hop producers swore by them back then. It was so easy to lay down rhythms and grooves quickly without losing inspiration.

A hardware sampler/workstation with keys and something like the Maschine library built in and a sequencer like the ASR-10 would be a lot of fun to use.
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

My Akai MPD218 drumpad controller finger drumming/triggering Spark 2, Aly James Lab VST's or RD-8 and recording midi patterns to my Cubase DAW. I'm adding 2 more drum boxes eventually(S2400 and a 909 clone of some sort). I never seem to use the inbuilt sequencers as yet, never bothered to try.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Guru

Octatrack

Much as I love the rest I own, that's the 1st I grab for one reason
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

What's your go to Tool to create your Rhythm Track ?-img_0514_color_8x.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
What's your go to Tool to create your Rhythm Track ?-img_0514_color_8x.jpg  
Old 2nd August 2020
Lives for gear

Akai MPC4000 and Pioneer SP16 atm........Ive found to compliment each other perfectly.The beauty of this setup is the simplicity which is very important for me.And the integrity of the sound of course....
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Addict

A bunch of old Roland TR drum machines.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Addict
TR-8S for me. Can quickly dial in easy beats or get lost in full, lush productions, with everything in between.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear
Geist2 and a bunch of sample packs. Maschine as an alternative
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut
Primarily, a Pioneer DJ Toraiz SP-16. However, I also supplement it with a Roland TR-8S.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Maniac

UNO Drums and Native Instruments Battery. I tried to like Arturia SparkLE but didn't gel with the sound...
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

TR-8S when playing with my Erica DB-01, which is about 95% of my music these days. But for other stuff, my MPC is great.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

I keep as many drum machines up and running as I can - sometimes the result gets a little tribal and more than intended but its pretty easy to pare things away until there is a good texture. I really like a lot of different instruments cos they all have their own vibe so the outcome gets more 3 dimensional. A song can happen just by starting a hat pattern on one and then adding a kick on another and a shaker on the 3rd and there is a feeling of space and ensemble.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Ableton Push 2, hands down. I have found nothing more immediate than it to create complex, varied and satisfying rhythms very quickly without having to step out of the flow. Especially if you have created a couple custom kits to go to.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Out of the many many MANY drum machines I’ve used since my first DR220a in the 80s, I have to say the most fun I’ve had making beats was on the MC707. Even more than the TR8S.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
Out of the many many MANY drum machines I’ve used since my first DR220a in the 80s, I have to say the most fun I’ve had making beats was on the MC707. Even more than the TR8S.
Hi jiffybox,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried NI's Maschine MK3, but didn't like using it. before that I tried a Korg Electribe 2, and that was a disaster.

I'm currently using my DAW Studio One Pro 5, with and an ATOM Controller by Presonus to program/play my drums into my DAW. So, I'm not using a rhythm machine, but I really want to have a flexible, easy to use, and great sounding rhythm machine that is fun, and inspirational to use.

Actually I'm thinking about the Roland MC 707 as an option, but I haven't researched it's features in detail, which I plan to do before venturing into buying a dedicated rhythm machine.

Would you say the MC 707 has a very good user interface, is easy to use, and flexible enough for many genres of music production ? what about a Song Mode where you link/chain your patterns into a complete song, does it offer that feature ?

How about the built-in effects of the MC 707 ? can I rely on them if I just want to print the stereo output of the MC 707, using its internal effects, sent/inserted to various sounds as needed ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

E-lictronic Nava for me at the moment

Prior: Behringer RD-8, Elektron Rytm, MachineDrum, MonoMachine
Old 6th August 2020
Though for "real" tracks, I choose a Roland V-Drum kit and my Yamaha electric bass through a Tech21 SansAmp bass-preamp, I've finally honed my go-to rhythm section to a nice tight set-up which really speeds things up for quick tracks and no-fuss idea scratch-pads:

• Arturia BeatStep Pro + Alesis SR18: The highly capable BSP + SR18's great-sounding rock kits makes for the perfect pair—I love it!
• UVI Synth Anthology 2 + XKEY 25 + Apple Logic's arpeggiator: Best toolkit for making quick basslines fast.

Alesis SR18 drum machine [24-voice polyphony, 100 factory drum kits, 32MB of 500 samples, backlit LCD—$249].

CME XKEY 25 MIDI USB-keyboard [full-sized keys, velocity-sensitive, polyphonic aftertouch—$99].

• Yamaha AN200: I call it the "crazy-box!"

Though not as utilitarian as the units above, I got this box for a number of different reasons (about along the same lines as to why I'm still pining for a Roland SH32). Got a good deal from another member here. For some crazy beats, though, it can't be beat! I haven't quite figured out all of its secrets, but the Yamaha AN200 is super-fun. It's also got the much heralded four-voice VA in it that sounds damned analog, plus this super-cool "morph" feature (one of the main reasons I bought it). Not particularly useful for my kind of music-making, but it's a barrel of fun to play with:

Yamaha AN200 [discontinued—about $250 used; though, used prices currently are insane!].
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Totally depends. But top three for me is Analog Rytm, MPC live or DAW with Addictive Drummer 2 for acoustic drums. Depends on the flavour/sound one aims for, sometimes x0x programming or piano roll sudoku is more appropriate, sometimes fingerdrumming on pads / kbd is preferred. Programming fluidity FTW

I'd love to learn advanced beatjuggling too, would be a killer way to make some beats! But I suck too much to pull off anything more elaborate
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

I have a wee Roland TR-09 beside me on my desk at all times. It's a really fun box for jamming, and I come up with loads of ideas that I can later translate to my Analog Rytm. Or not. It's just fun and inspiring.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

A vintage Simmons kit, with SDS9 pads and SDSV and SDS9 brains, with Roland and Pintech cymbals into an Alesis Trigger iO into an Ensoniq Mirage for the cymbal sounds. I want to make a disk of just cymbal sounds for the Prophet 2002 with its voice stealing modes. Closed hat, pedal / open hat, crash / choke, and ride bell / bow.

But my actual drumming skills are rudimentary at best, so the Analog Rytm picks up the slack. It also pretends to be a DMX with samples, but I have the real thing on the way.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Addict

Maschine MK 3 will komplete ultimate expansions.
Superior drummer 3 to cover my acoustic vibes
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut

I usually just fire up my cowbell
Old 6th August 2020
Analog sequencers all the way for me at the moment, such as the Analogue Solutions Oberkorn.

Quantization is sort of a buzzkill for me with analog synths, my drum machines are off and I am doing my own patches and bass rhythms via CV only.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
I tested the MC707 today in the store.
The pcm waves are old stuff.
The Va synths sound great and fat as it is modeled.
The drums are punchy and warm but just the standard stuff.

Editing on the small screen is a little cumbersome.
It takes a LOT of button pushing!
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
I tested the MC707 today in the store.
The pcm waves are old stuff.
The Va synths sound great and fat as it is modeled.
The drums are punchy and warm but just the standard stuff.

Editing on the small screen is a little cumbersome.
It takes a LOT of button pushing!
Hi Musician,

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I was considering the MC707, but after a bit of research, I'm not very impressed. The small LCD display, lots of shift+.... Button presses, lots of menus to navigate, exactly the things that kills my workflow.

For now I will stick with my DAW (Studio One Pro 5), and the ATOM Controller. All is nicely integrated, and gives me a lot of flexibility, without having to learn tons of button presses, or deal with other odd workflow details.
📝 Reply