Random Video Thread
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
"Sue everybody"

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post
I know, some fans of mine uploaded some songs I did over 20 years ago to Youtube.

I thought it was great, I mean why on earth would I have a problem with that?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Last edited by touched; 5 days ago at 05:41 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Old 11 hours ago
Gear Addict

I'm sad the Random Image Thread was deleted (my reduced post count tells me the thread is no more)

Old 8 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Never thought that would happen at a place like this, where we just having fun... but even my daughter sang a cover song on Youtube (accapella, the cup song). and they removed it.
Google does everything algorithmically. And large copyright holders abuse the holy crap out of that system.

I got a bit of a first had view from a friend who went through this me (I think with Sony). They have been known to get videos of classical players, playing public domain music (Mozart, Bach, etc.) from back when the notion of intellectual property hardly existed. He would record himself playing and it would get taken down immediately.

What they do is file the claim based on it being their property because they published a recording of an artist performing the piece. Google doesn't give a ****, they just immediately capitulate and make the little guy prove that they aren't in violation, and talking to google means filling out forms which are automatically rejected by an algorithm and it is impossible to get a real human being to look at anything at youtube. So proving anything is nigh impossible.

So, emboldened, these big guys scan the internets with their own bots (or sometimes just pay a bounty to external companies to do so) which are also automatic and don't differentiate between their content and public domain content played by someone that might sound like public domain content played by their artist (Say, an extremely common Beethoven piece in piano). They definitely don't worry about fair use, or whether it's a child singing something, or playing for 5 seconds in a car stereo in the background while you are filming in public, or anything else. The bots generate form complaints which are shipped off to websites in bulk, all without ever having to be seen or touched by a real person.

There's zero cost or repercussion for filing a false claim. And they are pretty sure nobody is going to take them to court because it would cost tens of thousands over the $500 (or $5) they might have earned in youtubes ad revenue. Larger volume websites that host publicly sourced content will just delete rather than bother to respond. And the law does not punish or fine companies, so little guys have no way to fight it.

So they don't care if they screw 10,000 people to catch that one guy trying to monetize their song by playing it while filming their kitty jumping into a box.

They may have some legitimate complaints. And so they could be legitimately trying to stop someone from, I dunno, maybe ripping music and then reposting it with ads, so taking ad revenue and not directing viewers to their official site. But they are indiscriminate and abusive in their tactics.

This is nothing new. Disney was big on suing people for "their" property, even when it was something they took from the Grimm brothers. They threatened to sue me for a clip art package once, 25 years ago, because it had Arial in it. They didn't even look, they just scanned file names and assumed it was one of their characters by the name. It wasn't, I know because I drew it myself and it was a cartoony picture of a radio antenna.

At least back then we just spent $50 to have our lawyer tell them to go pound sand on fancy letterhead and it was done. It has gotten way worse the last five years. It's just that with Google's tacit compliance and the power of internet bots the whole idea has become completely weaponized.

Probably a good thing. Most of my posts on that other thread were my personal IP. I bet ya'll were stealing them from me.
Old 8 hours ago
Here for the gear

Here's a video I took last night.

They did a drive in Opera. I went because I'm a subscriber and I'm not going to ask for a refund, lest there be no opera in the future.

But, in their wisdom, they had a generator running right behind my truck. At the opera. Where I'm listening (over the radio) to live singers and a live orchestra perform music.

So I got to "see" Puccini while hearing the hideous drone of an unmuffled small engine and smelling the rich, lovely exhaust fumes. Beautiful San Diego night and I can't even roll down my window, and even with it up the drone was still there, just lessened.

Man, how can you ruin La Boheme performed by the best talent in the world? 'Rona. That's how.

I hate this year.
Old 8 hours ago
Here for the gear

I need to make some music for my lava lamp videos.
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Addict

Oh, the image thread disappeared over a week ago? I'm a little slow...

Last night I made this to pose a philosophical question:

Is it pronounced 'Moo-gle' or "Moh-gle' ?

INB4 copyright
📝 Reply