The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternatives to the Prophet 6?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Maniac
Alternatives to the Prophet 6?

Are there any real alternatives to a Prophet 6?
In terms of its sound and general vibe? Does the MFB Synth Pro or even the Poly D get close somehow
or we still have to pay 2.7K if we want that thing?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Korg Prologue 8/16. A "simple" vco poly with lots of sweetspots.

Otherwise, Toraiz AS-1 and SP-16 for authentic flavor of a Prophet in a different format.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Maniac
Really? You think it comes close?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Close enough to make music.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares View Post
Really? You think it comes close?
Just listened to that MFB Synth Pro Demo(s) on YT and I think it sounds fine as a cheaper alternative to the P6, Maybe read the user thread on here for it as I'm not a user myself and not aware if it has any user issues, I have a P6 though(module).
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 

You can get a p6 keyboard for 2000 if you are patient. I’d never pay 2700.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #7
Gear Maniac
Crazy how the Prophet 6 sits alone on its spot uncontested at U$2.8K. I'm tempted but unhappy.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Nut
 

You can get a brand new one for $2000 to $2100 if you are patient.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares View Post
Are there any real alternatives to a Prophet 6?
In terms of its sound and general vibe?
If the sound is really what matters most to you:
Check U-He Repro.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
If the sound is really what matters most to you:
Check U-He Repro.
And maybe add that for a bit more vibe.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Gear Nut
 

The Rev 2 is the closest match. But it’s still not quite like the 6. Just be patient and save up for it. If you settle for less, you’ll have to deal with buyer’s remorse and more time spent having to sell what you settled for, and more time spent having to save more money from the loss you took.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares View Post
Crazy how the Prophet 6 sits alone on its spot uncontested at U$2.8K. I'm tempted but unhappy.
Many would say it's sibling is at least equal, but that won't bring the price down.

But, I do agree that saving for what you want, is better for settling for something fast. If you can afford to do so.

Summit and Rev2 are about as close as you can get in the price tier just below, I believe - in regards to polys.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
Richie Witch's Avatar
Paid $2150 for mine--you have to shop around and wait for a sale.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #14
The Rev2 is the ugly fat sister you settle for instead of truly quenching your thirst and earning a beautiful, voluptuous goddess to be by your side. You will fantasize about Prophet6 or OB6 while you have musical relations with your boring old lady. You may even call out the other gal's name.

Don't do it man.

Last edited by Devastator Music; 2 weeks ago at 10:08 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 2 weeks ago
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

A used P6 module looks like it can be had for $1600-1800, B-Stock from somewhere like Alto ~$1900.
The MFB sounds good at times but the user reports of bugs and issues put me off of it.

I was doing the same quest recently and finally bit the bullet for a b-stock keyboard for $2150. The alternatives I was weighing in the end (desiring a WYSIWYG as much as possible poly) were module/OB-6 or something like a 'vintage' Juno, but I couldn't wrap my head around paying just as much for a vintage 106 as a Prophet.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooderson View Post
A used P6 module looks like it can be had for $1600-1800, B-Stock from somewhere like Alto ~$1900.
The MFB sounds good at times but the user reports of bugs and issues put me off of it.

I was doing the same quest recently and finally bit the bullet for a b-stock keyboard for $2150. The alternatives I was weighing in the end (desiring a WYSIWYG as much as possible poly) were module/OB-6 or something like a 'vintage' Juno, but I couldn't wrap my head around paying just as much for a vintage 106 as a Prophet.
I got a new OB6 module from alto for 1580 with a promo code, I think they made a mistake with the code though. Anything they list as preowned or b stock arrives new, though, same with Pro Audio Star, at least in my experience. Other companies don’t like them because they allegedly do this to undercut the competition without going below the manufacturers minimum price agreement. I have no idea if that’s the truth, but the products I’ve gotten were all brand new.

For example

https://www.altomusic.com/dave-smith...ild_index=1612

I’d stop just short of guaranteeing that arrives new in box.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Wonder if Alto and ProAudioStar charge tax if you buy direct...many places still don't. On Reverb they are forced to, but in those cases I just buy direct.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs801 View Post
Wonder if Alto and ProAudioStar charge tax if you buy direct...many places still don't. On Reverb they are forced to, but in those cases I just buy direct.
Pro audio star does, alto doesn’t.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #19
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
Pro audio star does, alto doesn’t.

Awesome, thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs801 View Post
Awesome, thanks!
No problem! That could vary depending on the state, though. Both will charge tax in New York for sure, but that’s been my experience in Georgia.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Oh yeah, they're both located in NY so that's understandable. I'm in TX. If the various Alto coupons actually do work on b-stock stuff then I better grab something before taxes start there too lol...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

the upcoming p800 certainly has something in common with the CEM version of the prophet.
maybe there will still be a p5 .. who knows ..
the obx-a reissue also uses almost the same chips ..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs801 View Post
Oh yeah, they're both located in NY so that's understandable. I'm in TX. If the various Alto coupons actually do work on b-stock stuff then I better grab something before taxes start there too lol...
They're weird. The SAFE7 code doesn't work on the website for the Prophet 6 (used/refurb/b-stock whatever they're calling it) and the ALTOBUCKS code doesn't give you the full 10%. The code does work for the OB-6s, though. Possible that they're more flexible on the phone, though.

The Prophet 6 keyboard even without a code (and especially with no tax) came in a few hundred cheaper than I could find it elsewhere, though, so I just got $60 in Alto Bucks.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I can stack Alto Bucks for a future purchase.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #24
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares View Post
Are there any real alternatives to a Prophet 6?
In terms of its sound and general vibe? Does the MFB Synth Pro or even the Poly D get close somehow
or we still have to pay 2.7K if we want that thing?
I got the module for $1650. New, but an “open box” deal. It seemed factory sealed when I got it and. I’ve never had an issue.

The only other VCO poly in the same price range is the Prologue, but...

No aftertouch. (Receives it, though... I couldn’t figure if it was only mono or poly aftertouch)

No audio rate modulation.

One per-voice filter.

But...

16 voices (or 8)

61 keys (or 49 in the 8 voice)

Super cool digital oscillator.

Bitimbral

Ring and cross mod

I definitely want one, but unless they make a module, it’s unlikely. I had a plan to build a keyboard shelf desk, but thanks to Herr Twitler’s lack of response on a global pandemic, my studio is now my wife’s home office for the foreseeable future. If you like a 61 key keyboard and don’t need aftertouch, I’d definitely consider it.

I don’t even consider the MFB. I’m in the USA and they barely seem to have distribution here. I had to wait until I found a used Dominion 1 and that was years after it had been released. I also found the demos to sound lack luster.

After that... you start hitting much more expensive synths. Check out the Black Corp. synths.

https://black-corporation.com/

I had no idea that the Deckard’s Dream was so cheap... hm.

[edit] I guess it’s not cheap, but probably worth it if you have the money. My point is, the next tier gets pretty pricey. If I had the money, I’d probably go for an Omega 8.

Last edited by zerocrossing; 2 weeks ago at 04:51 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I had no idea that the Deckard’s Dream was so cheap... hm.
"The total price is $3749 with free worldwide shipping, the remaining balance of $2550 is to be paid when the product is ready for shipping. Delivery is expected in June 2020"
Old 2 weeks ago
  #26
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino_ View Post
"The total price is $3749 with free worldwide shipping, the remaining balance of $2550 is to be paid when the product is ready for shipping. Delivery is expected in June 2020"
Oh, well at least there’s free shipping! (that seems more in line with what I thought it would cost.)
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
orcoaffamato's Avatar
I wanted to buy a Prophet 6 too, instead I bought a Toraiz AS-1.
I sample and load its sounds in my Nord Stage 3... so now I have a bi-timbral "Prophet Nord" with more polyphony.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

if you read this thread you can use a used p08, very, very similar sound. one must not forget one thing .. dave is packaging artist ..


Prophet 6 vs Prophet 08
Old 2 weeks ago
  #29
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Nothing replaces the P6, I've wanted one for years and years, they have been going up and up in price here in Australia,..and now I finally have one. Had a prologue 8 sold it, Matrixbrute sold it.. used the money and savings to finally buy my 'ex demo' P6, only had it a day or so but I am super happy, straight away I know this is the synth I've always wanted and hope keep for a very long time.

Alternatives to the Prophet 6?-img_9957.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Alternatives to the Prophet 6?-img_9957.jpg   Alternatives to the Prophet 6?-img_9956.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
  #30
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Nothing replaces the P6, I've wanted one for years and years, they have been going up and up in price here in Australia,..and now I finally have one. Had a prologue 8 sold it, Matrixbrute sold it.. used the money and savings to finally buy my 'ex demo' P6, only had it a day or so but I am super happy, straight away I know this is the synth I've always wanted and hope keep for a very long time.

Alternatives to the Prophet 6?-img_9957.jpg
Welcome to the cult.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump