The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My weakest link advice - about to spend Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd July 2007
Gear maniac

My weakest link advice - about to spend

Ok so I have recently sold off a couple of older synths i never used (Arp Odyssey, Juno 106) and a Focusrite Pre

to help me afford something new, something midi, something phat.

I have roughly 4 - 4.5 grand to spend now i have waited a little while

my gear list is now:

Motu Traveller
Roland SH-101
Nord Lead 2 (Rack)
Juno-6
Fender Strat-Squire
Korg MicroKontrol Midi Controller
Alesis M1 Monitors

and I am wondering what you guys think i should be looking at next, personnally i feel i need a bass machine, something better than the 101

I have been thinking a voyager, any thing you guys think i need more looking at that setup (I get very nervous when dropping this amount of cash on one thing)

after the voyager will be a mixer, probably a TL Audio M3 or the like or maybe even better monitors

but for now i think another killer synth will help me alot

at first i looked at Virus TI's but felt unimpressed by it for some reason

all adivce welcome

cheers

P>S - I also played a poly evolver, little phatty, waldorf pheonix and a bunch of others in store, the evolver didnt appeal to me
Old 3rd July 2007
Lives for gear

A voyager is never a poor idea, but at the same time- you're not going to get one with the money you get from selling the SH-101 obviously.

I'd say that for the most part you're fine. Perhaps depending on the type of music you do, an analogue (or machinedrum) drum machine might help you out a bit? Even an M-base01 just for kick?

I think you're already covering some nice sounds there.
Old 3rd July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luko View Post

"I have been thinking a voyager"

"at first i looked at Virus TI's but felt unimpressed by it for some reason"
I was also unimpressed by the Virus, any of them for that matter. I finally aquired one I can't imagine not having one! The TI is MASSIVE and has enough in it to keep you busy for a long time. I especially like the available 16 part multi-timbral abilities with complete different effects on each part. The available sounds are great, arpeggiators, vocoder, the list goes on.

The people at Moog Music are awesome. Thanks to that team we now have the Moog sound with Midi and what a wonderful sound it is. Don't get a Voyager. I have one and don't want you to have one because I have one up on you by having one.
Old 3rd July 2007
Lives for gear

Damn. If I sold some of my synths, I would have thought about buying an Arp Odyssey and Juno 106!

A +1 for the Voyager here. When you find the sound you're looking for, it always sits right,
Old 3rd July 2007
Gear maniac

Tibbon - I am never selling the 101, what i meant was i have already sold the Arp and the 106 and a pre

so i would have enuff money to get something new and nice, like a voyager

just wanted to see if that was the wise choise considering the kit i already have

hey Popbott, so it is like that eh? :D thats what i thought and why since leaving the store the voyager has been printed on the brain!
Old 3rd July 2007
Gear Addict

get the voyager then

cant go wrong when it comes to sound, its just the price which makes it a hard decision...

Old 3rd July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX View Post
get the voyager then

cant go wrong when it comes to sound, its just the price which makes it a hard decision...

You can always get lucky of course when it comes to the price. I found mine for $2,200USD after much searching (I was only looking for a signature edition)
Old 4th July 2007
Gear maniac

yeah tell me about it and the price out here in Australia if you wanna buy local is even more again

they are doing nice bundles out here with the keyboard tho, ATB hardcase, both rack expansion modules the moog rack to mount those in and probably a moog hand towel to mop up the love juices

all for an inclusive package that is around the same price as buying a single unit thru moog themselves i belive

my latest thought was to get the voyager rack, and then spend the saving on a waldorf pheonoix Q or another nice little rack module like that

or maybe get really slutty and get a voyager rack and a little phatty for live use and for some of trhe sounds it pulls - ALOT different to the voyager imo

i was seriously impressed by the LP for what it is

anyway cheers for the responses

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search