The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom arq48 now £79
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 View Post
Anyone getting the random error message when loading certain samples. I can’t seem to figure out why some samples will load but others won’t.
I believe it may be the filenames (character set), and it only takes 16 or 24 bit samples and possibly not at all sample rates.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone getting the random error message when loading certain samples. I can’t seem to figure out why some samples will load but others won’t.
They have to be 44.1 kHz and I think 16 bit
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. I've captured a sample on the machine, taken it into an editor on the SD card, extracted a section and taken it back to the ARQ and it said error when I tried to load it. I hadn't changed the sample name or format.

Not sure what went on there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

From the manual:

HINT
• Files that meet the following conditions can
be used as oscillators.
– WAV format files that have been recorded
as 16/24-bit PCM audio with 44.1kHz
sampling frequency
– Playback time is 6 minutes (12 minutes if
mono) or less
File name uses only English letters and
numbers
• The total length of audio files that can be
added as instruments on the A is 6
minutes (or 12 minutes if mono).

I had trouble with some 32 bit files i got off the net - converting to lower bit depth did the trick.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Does the AR-96 have (usb) MIDI out to a computer?
Yes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibrain View Post
Yes.
Cheers. And I guess this should allow for MIDI out from the AR-96 to other keyboards and modules:
https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxc
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

superb video just been uploaded to youtube a must watch
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Cheers. And I guess this should allow for MIDI out from the AR-96 to other keyboards and modules:
https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxc
No, at least not directly. You would either need a Device with USB Host capabilities, such as https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxm or use the device you found with a PC and route the Midi through a DAW.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibrain View Post
No, at least not directly. You would either need a Device with USB Host capabilities, such as https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxm or use the device you found with a PC and route the Midi through a DAW.
Thanks. Now I understand. As for the AR-48 heralded in this thread, I fail to see why it would be more useful than the AR-96. At least for studio use, it’s the other way around. The editor is much easier to use than those tiny knobs, and MIDI works through the DAW. The AR-48 has no insert effects and (100) fewer sounds as well as (80) fewer pads and always needs AA batteries to function, while the AR-96 is charged by its dock station. Also, the AR-96 looks much nicer IMO with its color screen, 96 color pads all around (instead of only 16 on top) and an uncluttered surface. And it includes Bluetooth between the ring and the base station, yet also provides wireless connection to Mac computers and iOS devices, allowing the ring to be used as a multifunction MIDI controller. Also, as the AR-48 only has 16 color pads on the upper side of the ARQ, its ring could easily have been reduced to two dimensions instead of three.
My conclusion: the AR-48 may be easier for live use, but the AR-96 is the better production tool by far. And I have to thank @ djwaxxy for showing me the way in another GearSlutz thread.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. Now I understand. As for the AR-48 heralded in this thread, I fail to see why it would be more useful than the AR-96. At least for studio use, it’s the other way around. The editor is much easier to use than those tiny knobs, and MIDI works through the DAW. The AR-48 has no insert effects and (100) fewer sounds as well as (80) fewer pads and always needs AA batteries to function, while the AR-96 is charged by its dock station. Also, the AR-96 looks much nicer IMO with its color screen, 96 color pads all around (instead of only 16 on top) and an uncluttered surface. And it includes Bluetooth between the ring and the base station, yet also provides wireless connection to Mac computers and iOS devices, allowing the ring to be used as a multifunction MIDI controller. Also, as the AR-48 only has 16 color pads on the upper side of the ARQ, its ring could easily have been reduced to two dimensions instead of three.
My conclusion: the AR-48 may be easier for live use, but the AR-96 is the better production tool by far. And I have to thank @ djwaxxy for showing me the way in another GearSlutz thread.
A few points of order re. the 48 if I may

MIDI is MIDI. It'll send 16 tracks of sequencing to a DAW as easily as to 16 hardware devices. It'll receive them too apparently, not that I've tried.

It has several insert fx, though no delay/reverb. It has compressor, chorus/flanger/phaser, distortion, bit reduction, and a few others. Only one per track though.

AA batteries and docking stations - do you mean for the ring? If being used wirelessly then yes obviously the ring will need batteries. Otherwise it doesn't need batteries at all, but very usefully the whole thing will run off any 5V USB power supply including power banks (a small 10000MA one will run it for many hours). Maybe the 96 does this too, dunno. Edit: oh you mean the 96 ring has rechargeable batteries built in. Fair enough. I think the whole ring control thing is too gimmicky anyway and I have no intention of using it wirelessly.

The ring functions are perhaps a matter of preference, I haven't used the 96 but have read there are far too many pads on the ring to be useful. More than 16 on the 48 would be good though, I agree with that.

For sure a software editor for the 48 would be nice, but never gonna happen.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just received my Arq48 but it fails to power up. I had to buy an adapter, as they sent me one for the UK. It should work with the adapter. I also tried connection to the computer over USB, no luck. The ring does fire up, though, after inserting batteries.

So, is my unit broken? Or am I missing something obvious? According to the manual, you only need to hold the power button (the one with the fist) for a couple of seconds).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymooger View Post
A few points of order re. the 48 if I may

MIDI is MIDI. It'll send 16 tracks of sequencing to a DAW as easily as to 16 hardware devices. It'll receive them too apparently, not that I've tried.

It has several insert fx, though no delay/reverb. It has compressor, chorus/flanger/phaser, distortion, bit reduction, and a few others. Only one per track though.

AA batteries and docking stations - do you mean for the ring? If being used wirelessly then yes obviously the ring will need batteries. Otherwise it doesn't need batteries at all, but very usefully the whole thing will run off any 5V USB power supply including power banks (a small 10000MA one will run it for many hours). Maybe the 96 does this too, dunno. Edit: oh you mean the 96 ring has rechargeable batteries built in. Fair enough. I think the whole ring control thing is too gimmicky anyway and I have no intention of using it wirelessly.

The ring functions are perhaps a matter of preference, I haven't used the 96 but have read there are far too many pads on the ring to be useful. More than 16 on the 48 would be good though, I agree with that.

For sure a software editor for the 48 would be nice, but never gonna happen.
Good points indeed. I guess the editor difference is most important to me, from a production POV.
Old 1 week ago
Yup Ive had both, the 48 is easier to use, dedicated step sequencer buttons (my main reason for purchasing it), bigger pads, midi out, two screen...but the editor is missed big time

Last edited by kcearl; 1 week ago at 03:44 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
So, is my unit broken? Or am I missing something obvious? According to the manual, you only need to hold the power button (the one with the fist) for a couple of seconds).
That's not the power button. The power button is small, round and on the base unit below the "Sequence" push encoder.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by varntvar View Post
That's not the power button. The power button is small, round and on the base unit below the "Sequence" push encoder.
Hahaha! Thanks, man!
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
Hahaha! Thanks, man!
I did the same thing when mine first arrived!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did the same thing when mine first arrived!
Yeah, the big button on the top has the power indicator right under it, so I guess it's easy to make that mistake
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Good points indeed. I guess the editor difference is most important to me, from a production POV.
I inspected the 96 sooner.. but what's the fun of a computer editor while you can have a controller like the AR on a DAW?

From what I've seen now on the 96 the pads can be stepbuttons or used to trigger sound.. On the 48 you'll have both accesable instantly.. to program/check steps for a pad or pads/notes in a step.. that makes a huge difference in performance.

I also like the dedicated mute and solo buttons on the 48.. but it has to be hold. From what I've seen now on the 96 you have to select this in the menu..
One also mentioned that the screen is a bit small.. togehter with a lot menudiving to navigate to functions..

Respite the missing performance controls I'm still trying to buy a 96. But it's just me collecting all kind cool toys..
For the money it's still an awesome deal! btw.. Is there any kind of preset management for the synth engine on the 96? I red you where mentioning more presets??
On the 48 there isn't any feature to save presets as far as I discovered.. They get copied within patterns. I wish it would've selected sounds from a bank or something instead.. I find myself copying variation patterns all the time and have to edit all sounds for the variations.. that's a bit annoying.. but maybe I shouldn't be too demanding and just let them be different.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got most of the comparison info from this German review: https://www.amazona.de/test-zoom-ar-...ro-rhythmtrak/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Got most of the comparison info from this German review: https://www.amazona.de/test-zoom-ar-...ro-rhythmtrak/
ah ok..
They're talking about 11 insert fx on the 96.. I red there where only 4 availabe in the manual.. don't know??

But the fact they re-designed it tells enough I think.. To be honest I think 32 tracks is a bit too much for the polyphony the internal synth offers.. but maybe the 48 is different from the 96.
When using a few polyphonic synths on the 48 notes will get cut cause of the limit in polyphony.. but midi out on the 48 is another advantage witout having to add external stuff like USB to midi host..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverGear View Post
After some more nights experimenting I noticed that when being in 'scale mode' the ledring also gives visual feedback.
Contrast is a bit low, some colors also make difference..
But this is super handy together with being able to focus on steps and the notes they contain (Y). It really suprised me again!! Nearly nothing I own can do such tricks..

Here's a video I did tonight.. some parts can be a bit boring.. me spending minutes on finding notes.. to afterwards get on the same note I had before

I have to correct myself about the low contrast of the selected pads for steps. I tried some different settings on color (in the menu located under led) but contrast seems maximum when it's turned to off
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Actually that rotating sequencer pad sequence on the ARQ AR-48 makes me go potty
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Price keeps going up - $108 now. I really wish they made an editor for it like the AR-96 - way too much menu diving for me to get the sounds I want.
Old 1 week ago
I menu dove so deep I came up the other side with no sound!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I picked one of these up and was sent the wrong power adapter for the US. I emailed Zoom and they are sending me a US replacement.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear