The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is your thoughts on Roland Cloud for sounds?
Old 4 weeks ago
What is your thoughts on Roland Cloud for sounds?

If you can pay $199 a year for so many of the Roland sounds, does it back sense to get a nice midi controller and just use all these sounds on a laptop? What are your thoughts on the costs of the software plan vs buying a real hardware keyboard?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The ACB models are absolutely killer. The other stuff i can take or leave, not impressed with Zenology yet.

If you like them i would just get a System 8 used - i wouldn’t want to use a different hardware controller than that with them, it’s perfect.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

My take on them is that the sound is very good, but very CPU intensive. Unlike other plugin instruments, they eat CPU cycles even when they’re not doing anything. The plugins aren’t as full featured as other developer’s plugins, like Repro, Legend, etc, but they do have some stuff the originals didn’t, like effects. There are a decent amount of instruments at this point, so there’s a lot of variety, but it’s all Roland, so if you want something that sounds like a Model D, you’re out of luck, though you may get a bit close to some sounds with the System 100 plugin. The Roland Cloud app can be sketchy, and there have been many times I’ve had to reinstall it to update and sometimes it doesn’t connect to their servers.

So, install it. I think you get a free full month to kick the tires. You could buy a System 8, but it doesn’t run all the plugins, and you may find yourself just clicking/mousing around for sounds. That’s fine to me, but not everyone likes that type of thing. Any good MIDI controller can work to do the job, though you’ll have to remember how you set it up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They also take forever to load, no matter how fast your computer or Internet connection. In fact, I’d have considered $200 for a year if they weren’t so damned hard to manage. After saving a track with 3 Roland Cloud plugins and then loading it the next day, I immediately uninstalled everything and said good riddance.

I like them and they sound good. But they’re not friendly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I didn't really have problems with the app other than sometimes it would be a little unresponsive. I mean once you install the synths, you're not really using that app much more than once or twice a month.

The ACB stuff really is great, I was lucky enough to get a jupiter 8, system 8, sh101 and jx3p out of it and I really have zero desire to get their analog counterparts anymore. Hardware purists go jump in a lake these are really great products.

Haven't tried zenology yet, but if it sounds like the new fantom stuff it's probably pretty darn good.

I think a lot of vitriol comes from the fact that people are so anti-subscription here (but like these cheapskates would ever pony up 250 for a good ACB roland synth but they'll lick the diva boots all day long) and thus there's a lot of shade thrown on what is a really high quality product.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
They also take forever to load, no matter how fast your computer or Internet connection. In fact, I’d have considered $200 for a year if they weren’t so damned hard to manage. After saving a track with 3 Roland Cloud plugins and then loading it the next day, I immediately uninstalled everything and said good riddance.

I like them and they sound good. But they’re not friendly.
They don't take forever here. I have an older i7 and they take just as long as any other soft synth, I counted 7 seconds lol. Maybe your DAW or hard drive is the real issue here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
My take on them is that the sound is very good, but very CPU intensive. Unlike other plugin instruments, they eat CPU cycles even when they’re not doing anything. The plugins aren’t as full featured as other developer’s plugins, like Repro, Legend, etc, but they do have some stuff the originals didn’t, like effects. There are a decent amount of instruments at this point, so there’s a lot of variety, but it’s all Roland, so if you want something that sounds like a Model D, you’re out of luck, though you may get a bit close to some sounds with the System 100 plugin. The Roland Cloud app can be sketchy, and there have been many times I’ve had to reinstall it to update and sometimes it doesn’t connect to their servers.

So, install it. I think you get a free full month to kick the tires. You could buy a System 8, but it doesn’t run all the plugins, and you may find yourself just clicking/mousing around for sounds. That’s fine to me, but not everyone likes that type of thing. Any good MIDI controller can work to do the job, though you’ll have to remember how you set it up.
There's no denying they eat cpu when idle. However each additional instance, even if it's a diff synth only takes about 1/3rd of the original instance. Ie in FL Studio my cpu hit is about 25 on the first, then approx 5-8 per additional roland cloud ACB.
Old 4 weeks ago
Do you have to be on line in order to use the software?
In programs like Cubase, once you record the keyboard track, can you freeze it so you don't have to worry about a subscription running out or perhaps needing to be on line? I have seen one video where the guy doesnt like that it takes a while to load and many of the older keyboards sounds he said would never use. I am thinking if I keep the Jupiter X, maybe the only other thing I may want is the Fantom sounds from the Cloud to be triggered by the Jupiter?

It sounds like its better to own like a Roland Jupiter X as every sound and control is fast at at your finger tips. Once you have it, would you ever want the older sounding Jupiter 8?. It seems the Jupiter X gets the Jupiter 8 sounds and modernizes them a little which is a good thing for using it with your music of 2020 if your not just after getting very authentic retro sounds.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
I didn't really have problems with the app other than sometimes it would be a little unresponsive. I mean once you install the synths, you're not really using that app much more than once or twice a month.

The ACB stuff really is great, I was lucky enough to get a jupiter 8, system 8, sh101 and jx3p out of it and I really have zero desire to get their analog counterparts anymore. Hardware purists go jump in a lake these are really great products.

Haven't tried zenology yet, but if it sounds like the new fantom stuff it's probably pretty darn good.

I think a lot of vitriol comes from the fact that people are so anti-subscription here (but like these cheapskates would ever pony up 250 for a good ACB roland synth but they'll lick the diva boots all day long) and thus there's a lot of shade thrown on what is a really high quality product.
I wasn’t super happy with the subscription model, but I found myself using them so I bought into it. What made me quit was that I’d start up my computer and have the Roland Cloud app window sitting their with a error message that wouldn’t go away no matter how many time you clicked the acknowledgement box. Then it would take forever to restart and when it did, it would tell you there was a new version. You’d click install and then wait for it to download and it would stop at 100% and hang there... forever. Sometimes plugins would do this too. It was infuriating. My system isn’t anything special, but man it ended up becoming a pain, and if there’s one thing I don’t want when I’m in my studio is to have to spend a half hour f’n around with an application that doesn’t make a sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
They don't take forever here. I have an older i7 and they take just as long as any other soft synth, I counted 7 seconds lol. Maybe your DAW or hard drive is the real issue here.
Could be the DAW, but I’m not switching for a subscription to Roland. Its not the computer (9900k oc’d, m2 sad, etc) or connection (1 gb synmetrical).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Do you have to be online all the time to use the plugins? Im on an offline pc.

What about if i just want one plugin? Can i buy a life time key and use it like any other normal vst?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
Do you have to be online all the time to use the plugins? Im on an offline pc.

What about if i just want one plugin? Can i buy a life time key and use it like any other normal vst?
I haven't tried it, but the plugins need an online re-auth periodically. As far as I can tell, they use the same infrastructure even with a lifetime key so I don't think it will work with a permanently offline machine. I don't know for sure - check with Roland. But I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have a S8 sounds amazing but would suck to program on a computer, depends if you are used to that, the presets aren't amazing generally. I had MC707 and I liked Zen sounds a lot. Honestly 3$ a month or whatever it is just for Zenology and a controller would be where I start. Try out the others on a months sub. Wouldn't plunge in at 200$ a year.

I am interested in how the orchestral expansion cards sound vs stock Zen brass and strings (which are very dated but usable) I guess they are similar since they are ancient.
Old 4 weeks ago
The sounds of Roland cloud are great. The application itself, however, isn't the most fun in my experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
The ACB models are absolutely killer. The other stuff i can take or leave, not impressed with Zenology yet.

If you like them i would just get a System 8 used - i wouldn’t want to use a different hardware controller than that with them, it’s perfect.
Cheaper in the long run to just get a System 8, or find equivalent plugins from another company that lets you buy a perpetual license.

$199/yr sounds cheap, but think of the price over 10-15 years. If you fall on hard times in the future, you instantly lose everything. With a perpetual license, you can still use the software, even if you can't afford the latest update.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It's not like you are renting this perpetually, certainly not 10 or 15 years. After a year you will probably be done with it or at least be well informed on what you actually need.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
It's not like you are renting this perpetually, certainly not 10 or 15 years. After a year you will probably be done with it or at least be well informed on what you actually need.
I certainly use my purchased plugins for longer than 1 year. Some like Sylenth1 have been in use for well over 10 years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedFollower View Post
Cheaper in the long run to just get a System 8, or find equivalent plugins from another company that lets you buy a perpetual license.

$199/yr sounds cheap, but think of the price over 10-15 years. If you fall on hard times in the future, you instantly lose everything. With a perpetual license, you can still use the software, even if you can't afford the latest update.
Well, think about it this way. They give you how many plugins a year? I’m really only interested in their “Legendary” emulations and the System 8 plugin, so for me let’s just say that’s 10 plugins. I’m not sure what the cost per plugin is, but let’s say that it’s $150, which is the cost of equivalent non-Roland emulations like Repro. So in 10 years you’ve spent $1,500 on the Cloud, which is the same as I’d pay for all the plugins I want, and that doesn’t account for new emulations and updates. Or even the preset packs they give you, if you care about such things.

I’m just saying that it’s not really a horrible deal, especially if you’re really into all the plugins. One weird thing is, I thought you were now able to just buy the ones you want, but I couldn’t find a mention of it anywhere.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I think the emulations are superb but a bit cpu intensive and cloud manager is a bit slow and buggy, I am currently subscribed to the Zenology which is excellent and since using it haven't used the MC707 as much as I find its easier finding patches quicker with the vst. I actually found the Zenology sounds better at emulating the XV and D50 than their dedicated vsts which is a bit weird. Might go Pro once the Zen models are all out, no point atm as I have PG8X which is fantastic.

For £3 a month its a steal for Zenology and even the £20 a month is pretty decent for everything, especially if you are a professional or running studio but I'd like to see other packages with different bundles and prices and a slicker Cloud interface.
Old 4 weeks ago
HSi
Lives for gear

Did anyone compare the SH101 to the D16 version?
Old 4 weeks ago
At this point I am interested in downloading the EXZ Concert Grand Pianos for the Jupiter X if that will work
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Legendary Series, SRX, Aira (ACB/DCB=analog/digital circuit behavior) sounds really amazing and is among the best virtual analog and digital synths in plugin form. It is more expensive in CPU because of its detailed circuit modeling, but extremely close sounding to the hardware it models.

The Zen Core/Zenology (ABM=analog behavior modeling) is the new CPU light modeling which does not aim to accurately model the circuits of the original synths, but gives a general flavor by modifying the Zen engine parameters slightly to get closer to specific synths. Its advantage is that because it does not do deep modeling it is lighter on CPU and can be used with cheaper processors on the new series of Roland gear (Jupiter X/m, Ax Edge, MC-101, etc). These hardware synths do not have the processing power of the earlier System 8 which runs the ACB/DCB tech.

They also have some ROMpler versions (non DCB) such as FLAVR which are just sample versions and sound as such.

The Zen modeling is less expensive to implement and has advantages in being cross platform (hardware synths and Cloud), while the Legendary Series/System 8 has the advantage of sounding much truer to the original analogs. The GUI for Legendary/SRX/Aira are skeumorphic and look like the hardware (in maybe a slightly cartoonish way...it could be better and easier to use) and the Zenology has a modern flatter look that is consistent across its own models.

I've compared models of the originals (Juno 106 and D-50) to my vintage hardware, Legendary/System 8, Zenology, and FLAVR. The FLAVR is the worst, followed by Zenology, whose dry synth sounds are sterile and don't have the analog life. Legendary/SRX/Aira all sound really good and the ACB/DCB versions sound much better and closer to their respective originals than the Zen and FLAVR versions. It is not even close in my opinion.

There is some physical modeled and sampled acoustic instruments as well, but I didn't use them as I had other plugins I liked better.

I let my subscription end (keeping two synths from Play 2-4 Life promotion, but if they add more Legendary Series, I'd resubscribe. I'm disappointed that the JX-8P was Zen and not Legendary...it misses some of the features of the original. It does sound a little better to me than the vanilla Zen engine, but if I'm going to pay $149 for a lifetime license, it had better be ACB. For now I can live with a System 8 and my two lifetime Legendary Series synths.

A computer running a DAW, Roland Cloud and a decent MIDI controller would be an excellent setup for a home studio.

-------
tl;dr: Cloud has a wide variety of synths, some much better than others. The Legendary/SRX/Aira sounds are among my favorite virtual analog plugins (which would include U-He synths and Omnisphere).
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear