The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom R8 or R16 midi sync to external sequencer
Old 3 weeks ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 

I thought a lot about midi on a multitrack mixer and I could not come up with a reason for needing it the way that I work. I do think all multi-track mixers should have it anyway but this is not reason for me to turn away from my Zoom L-12. I have not compared but I feel the Zoom probably sounds better, though I'm sure the Tascam sounds fine. The way I use multi-track is to jam and record to hi-md stereo as well as multitrack and then chop up bits for reworking further for different kinds of tracks and remixes. I have audio interfaces and Yamaha n12 mixer interfaces but they all require computer. I also wanted 12 tracks of just no computer at all work. My n12s have midi but again I see no need for them.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
Well it may be fun to use midi clock on multitrack as a master so you can get stuff fairly in sync when you overdub rhythmic stuff with keyboard. For example my wavestate benefits from external clock. (Which I use the roland RC505 for)
It also allows (some of them) to simply chain two multitracks (I understand the R24 does this anyway?). I did it with the DP24 and DP32 for a glorious 56 track multitrack that I literally never used. I was just curious if it works. And it does.
But absolutely, I assume 99% of people who buy these have nothing to plug to the midi, so hence it was omitted in latest versions. I probably used midjacks with multitracks like 5 times in entirety and it was probably 4 times redundant.

My eye is on the AKAI force update that is supposedly coming veeeery soooon. It adds multi midi and arranger - so in some way it should work as a pretty strong 8 stereo track recorder with full (?) midi capabilities and I happens to own one. I will see if it can beat R8 for simplicity.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Well it may be fun to use midi clock on multitrack as a master so you can get stuff fairly in sync when you overdub rhythmic stuff with keyboard. For example my wavestate benefits from external clock. (Which I use the roland RC505 for)
It also allows (some of them) to simply chain two multitracks (I understand the R24 does this anyway?). I did it with the DP24 and DP32 for a glorious 56 track multitrack that I literally never used. I was just curious if it works. And it does.
But absolutely, I assume 99% of people who buy these have nothing to plug to the midi, so hence it was omitted in latest versions. I probably used midjacks with multitracks like 5 times in entirety and it was probably 4 times redundant.

My eye is on the AKAI force update that is supposedly coming veeeery soooon. It adds multi midi and arranger - so in some way it should work as a pretty strong 8 stereo track recorder with full (?) midi capabilities and I happens to own one. I will see if it can beat R8 for simplicity.
This is where things like Octatrack, my Gotharman LD3, and anything else with 4 inputs and sampling/recording/rearranging earns extra points. I did get on the Force bandwagon recently based on comments here. I was looking for two of them so me and a friend that makes music and is moving away could collaborate. I will just wait for the new OS so I can learn it all once.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
This is where things like Octatrack, my Gotharman LD3, and anything else with 4 inputs and sampling/recording/rearranging earns extra points. I did get on the Force bandwagon recently based on comments here. I was looking for two of them so me and a friend that makes music and is moving away could collaborate. I will just wait for the new OS so I can learn it all once.
Yeah, fingers crossed it is released on Force soon... I had been waiting for a year.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #35
Gear Head
 

I just bought a Philip Rees TS-1 and XRI XR300.

http://www.philrees.co.uk/service/ts1quick.htm

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/xr...chroniser/2219


Want to use them to hook up my Electribes and Circuit to my Zoom L-12 and Tascam DP-24SD. Might be nice to get the DAW going as well, but maybe that is a tad unrealistic without some kind of external Clock box.

I'm just about to buy an Elektron Model:Cycles too and it would be good to get that hooked up.

I think what I really need is FSK and the Phil Rees unit has something like FSK+ - a slight variation on it. I have no idea if these things will work. I did my research but there aren't that many people hooking up old systems with this stuff these days. The DAW business is just another level again and I'm not expecting that to work.

I didn't spend much on them and they will come in handy for things like SMPTE and MTC. Just seems like old drum machines work best with FSK.

I'll post my findings when I get things working (or not).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Oscar1's Avatar
I was just today recording for fun on the BR800 - oh I do dislike that 8 track! It sounds nice, has really good effect but the whole touch interface made me mad within 10 minutes. Either get rid of it or use it just as effect box.

This is what I "produced"


Last edited by Oscar1; 3 weeks ago at 07:05 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #37
Here for the gear
 
modenadavid's Avatar
 

Too much bickering about Zoom ( other digital recorders also)and sync. As a matter of interest I wrote to Zoom a year or more ago saying that the lack of midi sync was an omission. I wanted to sync my Arturia Drumbrute at the time. I now own a Roland MC 101 which I would dearly love to sync to my Zoom R8 to so I could put musical ideas from the Roland and jam with guitars as well. Have em all lined up to loop and edit. I can’t so it’s now gathering dust and I am back on the Mac. I kind of hoped Zoom would add the feature on a new version of the R8 but I am not holding my breath. As has been said, it’s probably a cost thing and the Zooms are pretty good for the price and we can’t have everything can we....chill.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 
enossified's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Just for the fun of it: the Tascam Model 12, just released a few months ago, has MIDI!!! Just saying for the third time.
We all know about the Model 12. But you can say it again, if you like

Some of us just wish Tascam would put MIDI back into the DP24 and DP32, that's all. We've said that a few times, too.

A mixer that does very basic multitracking isn't the same as a dedicated multitracker, but today it's the only game in town if you need MIDI clocking in a brand new device.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #39
Here for the gear
 
modenadavid's Avatar
 

Almost immediately after my last post about Zoom recorders I remembered I own a Roland VS 840 which has been
in a cupboard for 15 years or more. It has Midi sync....yeah....Sadly the Zip drive ( remember those?) was kaput after
I retrieved it and booted it up so not possible to use it . Anyway, after doing some research it is possible to retrofit an
SD drive on those machines. Adaptor has been ordered so that’s my new project 😀
Old 2 weeks ago
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modenadavid View Post
I wrote to Zoom a year or more ago saying that the lack of midi sync was an omission.
me too
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 155 views: 28147
Avatar for deanmadonia
deanmadonia 8th March 2020
replies: 56 views: 21918
Avatar for nickknack
nickknack 21st August 2017
replies: 444 views: 92121
Avatar for Jamie munro
Jamie munro 26th June 2020
replies: 109 views: 7579
Avatar for AudioSoundzz
AudioSoundzz 16th June 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump