Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Blofeld. Done.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
what a sweet demo!
Thank you, that’s very kind of you to say. I do really like my Prophet 12 for those sorts of sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator Music View Post
Prophet 12 and Rev2 both sound like ****.

I like being relaxed in space, it's dangerous enough out there without abrasive shrill sounds busting your eardrums unexpectedly. If you want DSI/Sequential flavor, go Prophet6/AS-1/ProphetX/OB-6. They all sound glorious and buttery sexy smooth at practically every moment.
Haha, I don’t agree, but I think there’s some truth in the P12/Rev2 needing some careful programming not to get into the shrill territory. They’re not synths where you can lean on the filter to make everything sound insta-nice, and certainly not all sweet spot synths. External reverb makes a difference too, especially for ambient and spacey. There’s a lot of rock, ice and micrometeorites in space, my OB6 doesn’t that capture aspect of the cosmos so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereality View Post
The Prophet 12 videos a few posts above do sound nice, although I'm still not convinced it's the one as much as I'd like it to be....

...I think the DeepMind 12 is the more sensible choice to start with, although do think in the long run due to the smaller keybed and oscillator limitation I'd be looking at something along the lines of a Summit.
The DeepMind has really good on board effects, something that can give you a lot of scope for spacey and ambient. Unless you’ve got loads of outboard effects, this is a solid reason to choose it over the Blofeld. The mod matrix looks like it offers a lot more flexibility than first meets the eye too. I’m tempted to pick up a module one of these days. The filter isn’t quite the juno clone we all wanted otherwise I’d have picked one up already.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I apologize for going off into “dreamy” when you’re asking about spacey. There’s some in here from the Virus TI. Like I said a few pages back, it’s my go to for spacey ambient sounds.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Prophet 12 videos a few posts above do sound nice, although I'm still not convinced it's the one as much as I'd like it to be.

I've been watching a few videos of the Peak recently and am warming to it quite a bit, even though it can sound a tad cold/dark at times. I really like the design/layout of the Summit, which has almost everything I'd ideally like out of a synth - 16 voice, 61 keys with velocity/aftertouch, split, layer/bitimbral and loads of patches available. I'm not convinced about analog vs digital oscillators either way and it also has also no sequencer, although the Novation Circuit would more than take care of that.

I think the DeepMind 12 is the more sensible choice to start with, although do think in the long run due to the smaller keybed and oscillator limitation I'd be looking at something along the lines of a Summit.
I have the Peak and don't love the sound. It is a very solid and good sounding synth, but just doesn't make me love the sound of it... just doesn't move me. It also has a bit more menu diving than I like. I decided to sell it.

I had the DM12... good synth but not exactly a desert island synth for me... too much dependence on the FX for that. I would want more flexible synthesis. Still a pleasing sound and works well enough as a controller. I gave it to a friend of mine but that was more cause I was happy to help my friend than wanting to get rid of it.

The nice thing about something like the Virus Ti as a single synth is that it is multitimbral. You can actually compose some music on it and play it in realtime without having to multi-track everything every time even when you just want to try some idea out because you only have 1 synth playable at a time.

I also like the Elektron boxes for that.

If you are mostly ITB and using 1 hardware synth, that synth does not have to be able to do everything. In that case, my priority would be a synth that really offers something sonically I cannot get ITB. Otherwise the convenience of ITB would cause me to not use the synth over time.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Blofeld. Done.
The Blofeld didn't do it for me unfortunately. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
I apologize for going off into “dreamy” when you’re asking about spacey. There’s some in here from the Virus TI. Like I said a few pages back, it’s my go to for spacey ambient sounds.

Dreamy is more than welcome, it maybe even more accurately describe what I'm going for.

I say 'space ambient' as an ethereal/spacey mind-expanding sound is my main intention, however I don't so much enjoy cold/dark style space ambient which I hear a lot from the Virus. I lean towards emotionally warmer, dreamy, psychedelic and trance styles of space ambient.

This video for the DeepMind 12 is perhaps more dreamy than spacey and is something I would love to get lost in for a while...

I am back and forth at the moment but do overall feel the DM12 is the right choice, it's just whether the best idea, as bftucker first suggested, is a 61 key master keyboard like the Novation SL, Arturia KeyLab or Komplete Kontrol, then adding a DeepMind 12D. As much as I really like the DeepMind 12 as a complete unit and the compactness of a synth and keys/MIDI controller in one, I think in the long-term I'd prefer 61 better quality keys.

Last edited by Ethereality; 1 day ago at 06:27 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

BTW If we are talking about the Virus, there is that VSTi emulation by Adam Szabo:

Most YT demos are in totally different genres, but with the newly added wavetable oscillators it should be able to do most of what the TI can do - including Space Ambient.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...p?f=1&t=470486

[edit]
Found something more ambienty.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Also i remembered and tested just now that with the good old freebie Oatmeal i can get pretty similar timbres to what you can hear from Dreamstate Logic.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133930
Just pick any pad preset and tweak from there.
Spawn some 4 instances and pan them wide with chorus and reverb.
Maybe stack with another VSTi that can do good supersaws.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Seems like you joined two days ago just to troll. Have fun!

Thanks man.

If there's one guy I need the support of, it's a random dork who posts here 24/7 and changes out his gear like his underwear. EVERY post is about your favorite software synth or your damn living space issues. You're practically a bot at this point.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Sometimes a space vibe is all about effects. So to the OP, I'd recommend something that has either it's own set of good effects or sourcing some external to the synth. I like pedals and plugins over racks but whatever. Reverb, delay, and pitch-shifting are priorities in my opinion.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator Music View Post
Thanks man.

If there's one guy I need the support of, it's a random dork who posts here 24/7 and changes out his gear like his underwear. EVERY post is about your favorite software synth or your damn living space issues. You're practically a bot at this point.
OIC, you’re a guy who was banned who joined under a new account. Have fun getting banned again.

(I’ve not changed a synth in years, though I did buy a new interface when I started having issues with my old one)
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

Dreamy is more than welcome, it maybe even more accurately describe what I'm going for.

I say 'space ambient' as an ethereal/spacey mind-expanding sound is my main intention, however I don't so much enjoy cold/dark style space ambient which I hear a lot from the Virus. I lean towards emotionally warmer, dreamy, psychedelic and trance styles of space ambient.

This video for the DeepMind 12 is perhaps more dreamy than spacey and is something I would love to get lost in for a while...

I am back and forth at the moment but do overall feel the DM12 is the right choice, it's just whether the best idea, as bftucker first suggested, is a 61 key master keyboard like the Novation SL, Arturia KeyLab or Komplete Kontrol, then adding a DeepMind 12D. As much as I really like the DeepMind 12 as a complete unit and the compactness of a synth and keys/MIDI controller in one, I think in the long-term I'd prefer 61 better quality keys.
The truth of the matter is this. That Deepmind demo is so simple that the core synth sound could be done with really any synth and a decent multi effects processor. So if the kid of sound design your after is basic synth sounds with tons of effects, the Deepmind is probably the best, and definitely a good value. I can’t really think of a synth that has a better build in effects processor... maybe the Moog One? Quite a different price range. I use a Behringer X-Air as an effects processor on a Modal 002r, but that’s also quite a jump in price.
Old 13 hours ago
Gear Addict

As I said, my advice is based on my own perhaps unique experience. Though I have accumulated many older synths with great keybeds over the years, I confess that, because of space issues, I most often use an old but trustworthy Novation 49SL mkII at my computer and with various modules, including the DM12D. If I need more keys, I switch to a Kurzweil K2600s which has 76 keys, Mod and Pitch wheels, 2 assignable buttons, 2 x Ribbon Controllers (one programmable), 8 independently assignable sliders, transport control buttons, 4 footswitch inputs, 2 continuous control pedal inputs (1 CC2 and 1 CC2/breath controller).
Attached Thumbnails
Synth for Space Ambient-25a866e6-0aaf-4c75-a1c1-8924d845ff28.jpeg  
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Regarding the Deepmind 12, be aware that some users have complained about fan noise.
Old 12 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
Regarding the Deepmind 12, be aware that some users have complained about fan noise.
Yes because they were too lazy to read the manual and maybe you should do it too?
You can set it on every rate you want but under normal conditions you can set it somewhere under 40 and than the fan is mostly not running and it's not a problem for the DM at all.
Maybe you better read the whole thread before you post something, already 2 or 3 people said that you can set the fan at any rate you need.
Old 12 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
The truth of the matter is this. That Deepmind demo is so simple that the core synth sound could be done with really any synth and a decent multi effects processor. So if the kid of sound design your after is basic synth sounds with tons of effects, the Deepmind is probably the best, and definitely a good value. I can’t really think of a synth that has a better build in effects processor... maybe the Moog One? Quite a different price range. I use a Behringer X-Air as an effects processor on a Modal 002r, but that’s also quite a jump in price.
I have decent outboard effects (Strymon Bigsky & TimeLine) but still have the impression that the synth can make some difference - analog vs digital, warm vs cold, design/layout/workflow, amount of menu diving etc. As a newbie and as I like to create ambient music, I'll play mostly simple sounds then learn and grow from there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
As I said, my advice is based on my own perhaps unique experience. Though I have accumulated many older synths with great keybeds over the years, I confess that, because of space issues, I most often use an old but trustworthy Novation 49SL mkII at my computer and with various modules, including the DM12D. If I need more keys, I switch to a Kurzweil K2600s which has 76 keys, Mod and Pitch wheels, 2 assignable buttons, 2 x Ribbon Controllers (one programmable), 8 independently assignable sliders, transport control buttons, 4 footswitch inputs, 2 continuous control pedal inputs (1 CC2 and 1 CC2/breath controller).
Yeah I currently feel the best option would be a synth with a great 61 keybed to also use as a controller, or a decent 61 key controller with hardware synth/s, the latter seems more financially viable and there's no 61 key synth that really appeals to me right now. Of the controllers I've looked at, it's between the Novation SL MkIII or the Arturia KeyLab. The Komplete Kontrol doesn't have any CV/Gate connectivity which I wouldn't currently use but may someday for a modular synth, so it's between those two really.

I prefer the build of the Arturia - a metal chassis with wooden cheeks, yet I also like that the Novation MkIII can act as a sequencer/recorder - you can store up to 64, 8 track songs onboard which could be good for live plug and playing without a DAW/PC screen.
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I prefer the build of the Arturia - a metal chassis with wooden cheeks, yet I also like that the Novation MkIII can act as a sequencer/recorder - you can store up to 64, 8 track songs onboard which could be good for live plug and playing without a DAW/PC screen.

If you like them both maybe it's good to know that Novation has one of the best support desks if you need aftercare.
Five days a week they have a livechat function on the website. so it's very easy to get some help if you have questions or problems.
A few years ago I had some questions about my Ultranova and the guy helped me for 45 minutes and one question he didn't knew the answer so he told me he would look for it and later that day I received a mail with a clip that he made about some settings.
That's a perfect service for me.
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Addict
Some more suggestions for space ambient sounds:
Teenage engineering OP-Z. Great effects and multi timbral and amazing sequencer.
Roland D 50 or D05.

Last edited by Brain fairy; 11 hours ago at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Autocorrection for president
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

Novation SL MkIII or the Arturia KeyLab
Keybed on the Arturia is pretty meh, if you care about such things.
Old 11 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
Thanks, I definitely do. Apart from having 61 keys, one of the main reasons I'm looking at a master keyboard is the keybed on the DeepMind 12 isn't all that great.
Old 10 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post

Thanks for posting this. Beautiful sounds.
Old 9 hours ago
Quote:
Thanks, I definitely do. Apart from having 61 keys, one of the main reasons I'm looking at a master keyboard is the keybed on the DeepMind 12 isn't all that great.
The sound of modern "space ambient" played on various online radio stations is basically the sound of a Lexicon and Eventide effects processors. Something like PCM-81 and H-7600 will get the ball rolling, while tone generators are perhaps not too important. Even an old Korg 01 R/W will sound like a "space ambient" soundrack when played thru these.

Yeah, that setup is kinda pricey though.

Cheaper option? Perhaps a Kurzweil K2600R with sample input board. Has an excellent synth engine and top effects processor (KDFX).
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
I had an earlier Arturia Keylab 61 for a very short time. It was indeed very heavy (lead weights?) and its sides were very like wood.

But I also did not like the action or the feel.
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have decent outboard effects (Strymon Bigsky & TimeLine) but still have the impression that the synth can make some difference - analog vs digital, warm vs cold, design/layout/workflow, amount of menu diving etc. As a newbie and as I like to create ambient music, I'll play mostly simple sounds then learn and grow from there...
It depends on the sound and how covered in effects it is, but the sound in that demo seemed like a very run of the mill type of sound. Strip away the effects and it could have been a Blofeld. Here’s Don Solaris’ “Analog Voltage” soundset in action:

Not really ambient in any way, but you get the idea. Throw enough Big Sky on some of those and you’re there. A lot of people don’t like the Blofeld interface though, but my point was more that if you are willing to spend more money and learn a more complex synth, you could get a 61 key synth that makes the sounds you want and had a lot more range. Something like a Novation Summit, Prophet 12 or Prologue.

Quote:
Yeah I currently feel the best option would be a synth with a great 61 keybed to also use as a controller, or a decent 61 key controller with hardware synth/s, the latter seems more financially viable and there's no 61 key synth that really appeals to me right now. Of the controllers I've looked at, it's between the Novation SL MkIII or the Arturia KeyLab. The Komplete Kontrol doesn't have any CV/Gate connectivity which I wouldn't currently use but may someday for a modular synth, so it's between those two really.

Old Kurzweil and Ensoniq synths had really great keyboards. General Music too. If you can find one of those, they’re often better than modern controllers. I’m using an old General Music S2 that blows away my old Remote 61, and I used to think the Remote line was one of the best. They can make for interesting sound sources too, though they’re not analog and do have a more digital vibe to them.
Old 8 hours ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually tried a Blofeld earlier in this thread but it wasn't my cup of tea. Ideally I would like a 61 key beast of a synth and then just use that as a controller.

I initially almost bought a Prologue 16 but after researching found that apparently the modulation isn't the greatest for a dedicated ambient synth. I can also get a very good deal on a Prophet 12 but haven't been taken by its sound much, it could be the digital oscillators, or could be I just need to explore my own sound and add FX. The Summit is probably the 61 key synth I'd go for if I had to choose one, I'm just not totally sold on it and it's a big investment.

I'm considering a few options at the moment... either giving the DeepMind 12 another shot, a 61 key master keyboard with a DeepMind 12D, or something along the lines of a REV2, Prophet 12 or Summit.
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I lean towards emotionally warmer, dreamy, psychedelic and trance styles of space ambient.
Link some YT examples of that.
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
Yes because they were too lazy to read the manual and maybe you should do it too?
You can set it on every rate you want but under normal conditions you can set it somewhere under 40 and than the fan is mostly not running and it's not a problem for the DM at all.
Maybe you better read the whole thread before you post something, already 2 or 3 people said that you can set the fan at any rate you need.
Why would I read the manual when I'm not interested in the synth? Why would I read through the whole post when I just want to give some friendly advice? Maybe you should just chill out and don't take my post as an attack on your precious synth.
Old 5 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Link some YT examples of that.
The music I want to make blending space, dreamy, psychedelic etc I can't post videos of as I haven't made it yet.

These are a few of my favorite space ambient tracks tho...

Many of the videos I've heard of the DeepMind 12 fall into these kind of sounds, whether it's because that's it's character or just the way it's being played I'm not sure.

I'm probably wasting mine and others time and will realistically try the DeepMind 12 again. It provides a workable amount of keys which are fine to play and is a nice synth to learn on without breaking the bank. Had the one I initially received not had a faulty keybed Id've been happy to carry on...
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
The music I want to make blending space, dreamy, psychedelic etc I can't post videos of as I haven't made it yet.

These are a few of my favorite space ambient tracks tho...

Old 3 hours ago
Gear Maniac
If it hadn’t been mentioned the Siel DK 600 will get you some serious SCI FI Star Trek type sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXAEvp-npU&app=desktop
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poumtschak View Post

I was literally listening to Derelicts when I saw your post. I'm on a CBL binge lately. Great interview.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear