The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
July 2020 new gear thread
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

July 2020 new gear thread

So, it’s already July here.

I started the month with a BR2032 battery fo my old Mac Mini which I use to make music... Last evening it showed some vertical lines while booting and then rebooted before login; a quick search suggested it could be the pram battery; I measured the voltage after removing it and it read 2.9V (while a new CR2032 read over around 3.2V on the same multimeter). Unfortunately I can’t put a CR2032 in that small box (because of heat).

The stores near home - both big technology stores and local electronic components stores - don’t list the BR2032 on their website; my remaining options were Amazon (but I found only a third party selling it crazy expensive) or RS (which was cheaper... or rather “normal price”)
So I ordered the battery from RS, actually more than one piece because I have other old Macs which may fail soon, given their age (and I don’t want to wait anymore for a few days just to get a battery), and I added a few other items (which I didn’t need right now, but that can be useful at a later time) in order to get free shipping. So I just spent around 15 € for 4 batteries and something like 100€ in electronic parts like knobs, ribbon cables and such for my diy builds

From a certain point of view these are still music/gear related purchases, but I wish I didn’t need to start the month this way!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

It's gonna be a light month for me as far as purchasing, but hopefully most of the stuff I bought last month will start arriving. Feels like I've been waiting forever for Model:Samples and Model:Cycles.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Got this Solton Programer 24 just in time to finish this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4pcNpxzdc

Also just got a Kawai K4 in the mail today that I'm super excited to dive into

Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Steinberg is running a 40% discount on Cubase (they use to run a discount sale in summer) and I decided to upgrade my licenses from 10.0 to 10.5.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I bought a Tascam Model 12 mixer today and should get it in another week or so. Makes more sense than using the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre I have, which costs about the same. So I'll sell the 4Pre and it will basically be a swap out. Pretty excited for all this mixer can do.

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Ordered a Boss Nextone 40w stage amp to go with the strat i bought last month as just been using amp sims. Was torn between that and the Fender tonemaster deluxe amp. Need something thats able to go down to bedroom levels and has fx loop and is flexible for studio use. Will be interested to see what its actually like vs a real tube amp.
Have had a various amps over years and the last was an awesome toneking falcon grande but its jut too loud to get the right use out of valves amps in a small studio space even that it has an attenuator as it seems to just suck the soul of it.
All the stuff I'm buying is guitar based at moment but then moving on to some pres and more hardware. Started almost like a band project working with 3 other people its the most liberating thing I've done in years. To go from sat at a computer and synths, pretty much a hermit, to now bouncing ideas around 3 other people who are super talented singers and guitarists (but also get synths and electronic stuff ) is amazing. Hard to really nail the sound we are going for but influences from BRMC,radiohead,massive attack,portishead and surfy reverb spashy guitar rock mixed with some pretty juicy electronic elements. so much fun and even draft ideas sound sweet.
Old 1 day ago
buying some utilities to finally hook up mytek converters i got last month; madi cables, avid db25-trs snakes etc...

however, it wouldn't be right to leave this month with boring utility stuff, so i finally nabbed a synth i played decades ago and always fancied. got it for a very low price due to a broken key, which i already found a replacement for on ebay. next: probably Oled display.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I'm done for July

Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
I'm done for July

woo blow that smoke off your wallet

and your brain becuase that joint is complicated
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
I'm done for July

The end of this thread!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

downsized...sold my grandmother and got the A4 mkII.

much much MUCH more suited for me.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Decided I really wanted to upgrade my monitoring situation this summer.

First stop was ordering room treatment which arrives in two weeks.

Next stop was picking up some Focal Solo Be6's as an upgrade to my JBL LSR305s which arrived today.

Wow, what a step up. I'm still in the burning in stage with these but I feel a veil has been lifted from the music. I can hear the different bass notes being played much more clearly, and that's without using a sub.

I am just going through my spotify playlists listening to tracks I know well, and it's like before I was listening to them with plugs in my ears. So much more detail. Oh, and they look fucking sexy. Looking forward to treating the room for even more improvement.

Next stop is the RME UFX+

Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

I'm impressed you beat the forum swear filter..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I didn't know there was one.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Try to contain your raging jealousy:

Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

My 2011 Mac Mini is definitely broken, replacing the PRAM battery didn’t solve the issue.
A new pc is coming very soon (I planned to upgrade, anyway); I have to decide between something avaible at the local tech store and a custom configuration which I’d have to build by myself (which I’ll choose if there’s a huge performance boost for a similar price... even if I’d rather spend my free time on something else than building a pc).
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

So much cool new gear this month I'm happy for you guys.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolafish View Post
downsized...sold my grandmother and got the A4 mkII.

much much MUCH more suited for me.

OT but if I may ask, how'd you customize your MPC? Looks great.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ View Post
Decided I really wanted to upgrade my monitoring situation this summer.

First stop was ordering room treatment which arrives in two weeks.

Next stop was picking up some Focal Solo Be6's as an upgrade to my JBL LSR305s which arrived today.

Wow, what a step up. I'm still in the burning in stage with these but I feel a veil has been lifted from the music. I can hear the different bass notes being played much more clearly, and that's without using a sub.

I am just going through my spotify playlists listening to tracks I know well, and it's like before I was listening to them with plugs in my ears. So much more detail. Oh, and they look fucking sexy. Looking forward to treating the room for even more improvement.

Next stop is the RME UFX+

Monitors- make sure you get the sexy ones so you can make that sexy music
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
buying some utilities to finally hook up mytek converters i got last month; madi cables, avid db25-trs snakes etc...

however, it wouldn't be right to leave this month with boring utility stuff, so i finally nabbed a synth i played decades ago and always fancied. got it for a very low price due to a broken key, which i already found a replacement for on ebay. next: probably Oled display.

If you find a decent oled display can you let me know. The display on mine is knackered.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
OT but if I may ask, how'd you customize your MPC? Looks great.
12inchskinz dot com

I designed it in Photoshop
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
What does it say about me that I had to read it 5 times before I noticed the word?

Here is what I got to add to last months Quantum purchase.

Immediately heard where my money went. I hadn’t experienced a sense of space like this before. They are the real deal. More to come next week. There is a guitar and pedal store I found just 3 miles away, my wallet is doomed. Fortunately, my paycheck included a 20% COVID bonus today. As long as you don’t die, being essential has a few perks.
Old 7 hours ago
I’ve got my Neumann KH805 repaired, not fantastic new but newly back into the studio since I died in February.
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

I bought this lil one to scratch my P6 itch... it will feed my Nord Stage 3

July 2020 new gear thread-pioneer-toraiz-1-04-07-2020-2-.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
July 2020 new gear thread-pioneer-toraiz-1-04-07-2020-2-.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear