The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prologue 8 or... Argon8 for an only synth?
Old 5 days ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Prologue 8 or... Argon8 for an only synth?

Another boring question for a buying advice of two hardly comparable synths, so please bear with me . Getting back into music (as a hobby) and buying a synth after a long time.

I'm a bit more of a player than a knob twister. I need something to get inspired with in the home studio and to have on the side when I sing/play live. A synth as wide as possible without being too complicated and without having to dive into the menus with it (no patience for that). Minilogue XD seemed really exciting at first glance, but I think the 4 voices and the mini keys (I haven't got a chance to try it though) are too limiting. Then I checked out the Prologue 8 and it feels, looks and sounds really awesome (I might buy an SQ-1 with it). Love at first sight.

However, rationally - in which cases would an Argon8(X) be a better choice? I always liked the sound of the Blofeld for example. So I'd like to get an idea which synth I'll be more comfortable with as an only synth. Would I appreciate the sheer analogue quality of the Korg more? Are the possibilities on the Argon8 wider without a complicated user experience and where it lacks in terms of sound comparing to the Korg? The Argon8 is also quite a lot cheaper than the Prologue 8 where I live.

So, as you can see, I have an idea but I'm still a bit lost on what I'd like. I also know I want my synth to sound huge as I really like the epic leads and pads from the late 80s/early 90s (from Depeche Mode to Tears for Fears) .

Thanks for any thoughts/advice!

(btw, I also checked out the Hydrasynth which I liked, but best to forget about that as it will quickly become too overwhelming. I might go for the Summit later if I get serious enough to justify the price, seems perfect ).
Old 4 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
kwaping's Avatar
I don't know enough about the Argon 8 to make the comparison, but I could live with a Prologue as my only synth. It was the last synth I bought in my small collection, but if I had purchased it first I wouldn't have bought the others. Besides being polyphonic, it has epic mono and unison modes. The analog oscillators and filter are gorgeous, and the digital oscillator is a gift that keeps on giving. Even the presets are so good that I've hardly wanted to create my own sounds, and I'm a sound designer by nature.

It's not perfect in terms of features (missing aftertouch and general flexibility), but I think it is pretty near perfect in terms of sound.

Footnote, I have the 16 and I recommend that over the 8 for not that much more money.
Old 4 days ago
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

I had a 8 then upgraded to a 16. the 8 is great but the 16 is thicker in sound, the extra keys and having that compressor is helpful.

Honestly i could do with a 8 or a 16, but i do say again that compressor does add a nice warmth.

I dont know much about the argon but i would think the prologue due to having the 3 user oscillator option as well as a user effects option.

If i had to pick one poly or do everything synth in my collection, it would probably be it.

If i had a novation summit it might be a different story, but i have yet to hear one in person so i cannot judge. It just seems like a very flexible synth.
Old 4 days ago
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

If you care about sound, Prologue
Old 4 days ago
  #5
Gear Nut
 

It's prologue 100% without much internal debate.
Old 4 days ago
  #6
I have both, I dont think youd be disappointed with eithers sound...both have decent keybeds too. The prologue is limited in some ways (no mod matrix, single filter option, one lfo) but the extra keys would make it my suggestion. The Argon is a more interesting synth to programme but 32 keys? Also something I didnt see before was that the UI is very hard to read in low light while the leds will burn your retinas...mind you if you dont like fingerprints on your synth buy some gloves for the prologue...small things but they get on my tits a bit.


Unless you buy the 61 key Argon...then Id recommend it lol, forgot about the 61 key

Overall my reviews/comparisions are rubbish...61key v 61 key the prologue has a lovely tone but is limited, the Argon has quite a bit more options..forget its digital it sounds great

So Id say the Argon 8 X
Old 4 days ago
  #7
Also the hydrasynth would probably be my choice over either if it was a one synth only option, but they are very different synths...Ill shut up now
Old 4 days ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Also the hydrasynth would probably be my choice over either if it was a one synth only option, but they are very different synths...Ill shut up now

Hydrasynth as a one and only... First person ive ever heard say that....
Old 4 days ago
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson View Post
Hydrasynth as a one and only... First person ive ever heard say that....
it does a lot, and it can do a lot badly...but in that price range, for a player...I dont know, maybe youre right, but its been a while since I played something and went wow (not always a good wow) The Argons been played a few times (that UI led thing annoys me as I play at night) and the prologue was just very nice tone but slightly uninspiring...the hydra is borderline exciting always and at the same time it can sound totally awful if you are not careful...each patch has like a multitude of variations in the matrix and around 60% sound great....poly AT mmmm... Itll be a classic for sure.



as you can tell I like it
Old 4 days ago
  #10
Lives for gear
I'd go with the Prologue (16 if possible) as an only synth. Perks:

- bi-timbral
- lots of variety of sounds
- analog only, or digital only, or hybrid
- various synth engines: wavetables, FM/PD, physical modelled strings, sampled

The analog knob per function makes it easy to dial in what you want. As you get more familiar with it, you realize how much the digital OSC / FX really brings to the whole package. Especially since it's expandable... check out all the custom user OSC and FX you can download into it.

My Hydrasynth is really flexible, probably more than an Argon, but I'd still take a Prologue as an only-synth anyday.
Old 4 days ago
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson View Post
Hydrasynth as a one and only... First person ive ever heard say that....
Let me be the second

Very versatile synth.
Old 4 days ago
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

If i had a one and only synth i tell ya.... i would want one without menu diving...

just say...

an "one and only synth" would be like a prophet 6 or something along those lines.

Id say prologue makes the cut to no menu diving, more or less at all, vco's and for the price.

but all in all if someone were and synth snob they would say a prophet-6 for a poly. i seen the prophet 12 on price drop.
when regarding the prices, my vote is prologue. but i do say, the hydra synth is very interesting looking. sounds pretty cool. Poly aftertouch is a plus, not sure about having to go menu to menu through it all.

is there someone that owns both out there?
Old 4 days ago
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson View Post
If i had a one and only synth i tell ya.... i would want one without menu diving...

just say...

an "one and only synth" would be like a prophet 6 or something along those lines.

Id say prologue makes the cut to no menu diving, more or less at all, vco's and for the price.

but all in all if someone were and synth snob they would say a prophet-6 for a poly. i seen the prophet 12 on price drop.
when regarding the prices, my vote is prologue. but i do say, the hydra synth is very interesting looking. sounds pretty cool. Poly aftertouch is a plus, not sure about having to go menu to menu through it all.

is there someone that owns both out there?
Well I tried the 6 and went with the OB6...but it still wouldnt be my first choice for an "only" synth and the OP is obviously working within a budget and is also not worried about knob per function.

The hydras menu system is almost pure genius, I like knob per function synths as much as the other man but the matrix and the buttons to bring up lfos etc with the scribble screens are very very clever. I honestly feel theres way more menu diving on my XA than the hydra and its way easier to navigate than the Argon but maybe not quite as warm sounding even with the latest firmware.

Funny enough out of everything I own the XA would be my choice if I had to keep one, covers loads and has some great tricks, but Im a Roland fanboy for sure
Old 4 days ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Well I tried the 6 and went with the OB6...but it still wouldnt be my first choice for an "only" synth and the OP is obviously working within a budget and is also not worried about knob per function.

The hydras menu system is almost pure genius, I like knob per function synths as much as the other man but the matrix and the buttons to bring up lfos etc with the scribble screens are very very clever. I honestly feel theres way more menu diving on my XA than the hydra and its way easier to navigate than the Argon but maybe not quite as warm sounding even with the latest firmware.

Funny enough out of everything I own the XA would be my choice if I had to keep one, covers loads and has some great tricks, but Im a Roland fanboy for sure
I'll wait until i play one in person until i really judge. But i find it hard for me to have my only synth be jumping around menu to menu. I get how it works ive seen a bunch of videos on it, but for now its not for me.

Love some of the sounds though and that poly aftertouch. I will just wait until the hype dies out on it and then see what everyone says, then play for myself.

I love my OB6 but as an only synth im not sure... I dont just use synths... so i would rather be able to make a sound on the fly then dive in for hours and hours to make some sounds constantly. Some days i make patches and some days i just make music. On my prologue i just dial in mad quick... its a joke, but i understand the limitations.

I can get the sound i want faster out of a prologue most of the time or a synth with that knob per function that that having to "navigate" through a bunch of stuff. That being said... The Hydrasynth could have some kinda organization down. I just personally like having a hand on one knob and another hand on another muscle memory and twist about.

Everyone is different.

Its nice to have a new kinda of synth to the table though like the Hydrasynth. New synths and companies are always welcome!! Stoked to see what they do in the future thats forsure.
Old 4 days ago
  #15
Absolutely...love that digital is making a bit of a comeback too...I hope 2020 isnt the end of this second golden era of synths
Old 4 days ago
  #16
Here for the gear
 

I also think the Hydrasynth could as well be a useful buy (and not just an exciting one). Really like what I'm hearing in some of the youtube videos, It seems digital in all the right ways.

I'm just "afraid" that I'd just find a preset collection I like and wouldn't turn a knob ever again (except for the fx maybe) , which makes it kinda pointless.
Old 4 days ago
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by janosp View Post
I also think the Hydrasynth could as well be a useful buy (and not just an exciting one). Really like what I'm hearing in some of the youtube videos, It seems digital in all the right ways.

I'm just "afraid" that I'd just find a preset collection I like and wouldn't turn a knob ever again (except for the fx maybe) , which makes it kinda pointless.
Ah but each preset is like a smaller bank of presets once you get into the macros. Maybe its just me and my lack of experience with this type of synthasis but the options are almost limitless and very easy to access.

I going to marry it and make small half Scottish half digital synth children!
Old 4 days ago
  #18
Gear Head
 
JesperS's Avatar
Had both both (Argon 8 not 8X). The Prologue 8 is one of my favorite synths, the Argon 8 went back to the store.

If you are an 80s head like me I doubt the Prologue will disappoint you. It's also super nice to play.

I know it is limited in some ways but I think it can cover quite a lot of ground soundwise. It's also a beautiful instrument.
Old 4 days ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I going to marry it and make small half Scottish half digital synth children!
Change your avatar first! You'll scare them! ;-)
Old 4 days ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperS View Post
Had both both (Argon 8 not 8X). The Prologue 8 is one of my favorite synths, the Argon 8 went back to the store.

If you are an 80s head like me I doubt the Prologue will disappoint you. It's also super nice to play.

I know it is limited in some ways but I think it can cover quite a lot of ground soundwise. It's also a beautiful instrument.
The digital oscillator transcends analog-ness of the logue series. I often turn the VCO's off entirely until the end - just to add meat to the fundamental, or fill some other hole. There's just so much sonic texture to be had on the digital side.

Menu's are a part of the instrument. I use them constantly. That's where all the finesse comes in on almost any synth.

Argon and hydra synth had my attention for a while, but they seemed like one trick pony's once I got start with the prologue's digital oscillator.

Last edited by SkyWriter; 3 days ago at 11:02 PM..
Old 3 days ago
  #21
Here for the gear
 

Thanks everyone! I think I almost made up my mind on the Prologue now and we'll see. Any other synth we forgot to mention?
Old 3 days ago
  #22
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by janosp View Post
Thanks everyone! I think I almost made up my mind on the Prologue now and we'll see. Any other synth we forgot to mention?
Blofeld... as a compliment to a Prologue.

Although more than a few here have made full tracks with just the Blofeld alone
Old 3 days ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Hows the Rev2 8 voice priced where you are? Out of budget?

If you can save up a bit more, you really hit another tier at $1000 USD plus, but I don’t know prices and availability elsewhere.

The again, something like one of the two the OP mentioned plus a monosynth (the new Dreadbox?) can go a long way.
Old 3 days ago
  #24
Here for the gear
 

Blofeld as a compliment to a Prologue is a good idea!

Yeah, i was checking the Rev2 out as well. You have to add another Minilogue XD on top of the Prologue 8 for Rev2 8 in Europe. If I already knew I'd get really serious with playing, it wouldn't be too much. But realistically, the Prologue 8 is quite suitable to my budget at the moment.
Old 3 days ago
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
32 keys?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...le-synthesizer
Old 3 days ago
  #26
Quote:
Yeah I know


Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post


Unless you buy the 61 key Argon...then Id recommend it lol, forgot about the 61 key
Old 2 days ago
  #27
Gear Nut
 

Yeah, go for the Prologue 16 - that way you can get your 8 poly with 2LFOs, 4VCO 2digitalOSC, 4 ADSR, 2 filters.... yeah, go with the 16 and much of the shortcomings will be eliminated.

AT via midi, not that big a fan of ChAT I prefer PolyAT. The keybed is great in my opinion.
Old 1 day ago
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by janosp View Post
Blofeld as a compliment to a Prologue is a good idea!

Yeah, i was checking the Rev2 out as well. You have to add another Minilogue XD on top of the Prologue 8 for Rev2 8 in Europe. If I already knew I'd get really serious with playing, it wouldn't be too much. But realistically, the Prologue 8 is quite suitable to my budget at the moment.
If you're keeping it simple, though, then the Prologue can still work quite well without getting a Blofeld. The 'logue digital oscillators can do pretty much anything the Blofelds can, except perhaps audio rate mod.

Synth engine types currently available for the 'logue series:
- wavetable
- basic sample import
- FM / PM / basic additive
- phase distortion (Cain CZ's OSC is pretty good!)
- physical modeled strings
- "alternative" PWM types (something like the Hydrasynths' PWM modes)
- various VA engine types, including old school divide down tech

And there are several types of filter types available as downloads as well. A Prologue should serve you well for quite some time.
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump