The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Searching for good FX pedals (not the usual known ones).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Searching for good FX pedals (not the usual known ones).

Hello, I'd like to add some FX pedals to my synths, but:

1- I don't want to spend lot's of € (I prefer to use money to buy synths);
2- I don't want to buy the usual known ones. I'd like to buy some "hidden gems".

Do you guys have some suggestions? Thx!
Old 5 days ago
That's a very wide gamut. Thousands of possibilies. You might need to narrow it down a bit. What are you looking for?

The best value will be in multi-effects. Especially used. I find my Zoom B3 "bass effects" to be capable of achieving really good effects chains for synths and drum machines, but a B1 or MS-60B would do most of it for less $. Aside from being a bassist, the reason I like the bass versions is that they tend to have full-range effects that are more general purpose than the guitar versions as well as having dry-wet mix on a lot of stuff like drive effects and some compressors.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

EXH Ring Thing. Way more than just a ring modulator, really flexible, huge range of tones and begs to be tweaked while you play. Takes a lot of exploration but rewards.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Kaoss pad 3+.
Perfect for synths, many effects and also a looper.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I’m in a similar boat. I bought a empress echosystem, empress reverb and gfi clockwork delay this week. At some point I want a GFI Specular reverb too, if I can find it.

For hidden gems... Generation Loss, Death by Audio Rooms, Red Panda Tensor, and the aforementioned GFI stuff. Maybe they aren’t hidden gems, but they aren’t the ones I hear of the most.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
EXH Ring Thing. Way more than just a ring modulator, really flexible, huge range of tones and begs to be tweaked while you play. Takes a lot of exploration but rewards.
I agree, one of my favourite pedals. Nothing slides a guitar (or whatever) into some out there electronic context as seamlessly than the RT. It's like an old friend at this point.

It's worth noting EHX do lots of great stuff way at relatively sane prices. Unique and/or far out (Superego, Ravish Sitar, POG2, HOG2, etc...), their own takes on the ubiquitous stuff (Grand Canyon, Oceans 11, etc...), and just very useful well priced common tools, like cheap mod and dirt pedals, or the stereo OD and Compressor pedals they do.

Other brands I'd recommend, great reverbs and delays and so on that aren't Strymon or Chase Bliss expensive.;

Neunaber,
Mr Black,
OBNE,
Digitech pedals from the last 5-6 yrs or so (Polara, Supernatural, RV7, etc...)

Lastly, if the Zoom MS pedals are too ubiquitous for you, look into older Line 6 modellers and pedals Often even cheaper than the Zooms, used. Anything with Particle verb like an M series or HD. Lots of decent sounding FX from trad to weird.

All have been fine with synths, just a case of being very careful with gain staging in some instances.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Not sure how obscure or cheap they need to be. Tried to keep things under $300

EHX Mel9, Tube Zipper, Super Ego/+, Ravish, Stereo Talking Machines, Mod Rex, Flanger Hoax, Polychorus, Polyphase ...I could go on with them. Best pedal maker ever imo

TC Electronic Brainwaves, T2 Reverb, SCF Chorus Flanger, Mimiq, Sentry, Spark, DittoX4, Spectradrive-Bass
Boss MD-2, PS-3, PN-2, AC-3, RV-3, MT-2, HM-2 (Behringer HM300) BF-2, MO-2, SG-1 and SL-20(These last 3 models were incorporated on to the Boss MD500 I believe)
Behringer HM300 (Boss HM-2)TM300 Tube Amp Modeler, WD300 (Hughes & Kettner Warp Factor) VD400 (Boss DM Series), Tube Monster (Ibanez Tube King)
Digitech Luxe, Obscura, Feedback, TimeBender, Vocal 300, Space Station
DOD Meat Box, Gonkulator, Gunslinger, Looking Glass, Rubberneck
Way Huge Fat Sandwich, Swollen Pickle, Pork Loin, Saucy, Camel Toe, Ringworm
Zvex Mastotron, Lo Fi Junky, Fat Fuzz Factory, Box of Metal, Wooly Mammoth
SolidGold FX Funkzilla
BBE Mindbender, Two Timer, Soul Vibe
Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water, Randy's Revenge, Unpleasant Surprise, Meet Maude
Malekko Charlie Foxtrot, Scrutator, Goatkeeper, Sneak Attack, b:Assmaster
Gamechanger Audio Plasma ( epic)
Bananna Effects Mandala, Abracadabra
Mars Mini Yes Man Auto Wah (OG EHX Mini Qtron but with extra features. get it.)
Catalinbread EchoRec, Bicycle
Diamond Effects Halo Chorus
Tech 21 Character Series VT Bass, Blonde
Dr. Scientist Bitquest
Electro-Faustus EF107 Regurgitator, Super Disruptor
Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe, Big D
Maxon CS550, AD999, AF9
Joyo Ultimate Drive (Fulltone OCD), Acetone (Vox Amp sim) California (MesaBoogie sim)
Source Audio Lunar, AfterShock, Spectrum
Bogner Ubserschall
Mr. Black Downward Spiral, Stereo Ensemble Chorus
Matthew Effects the Chemist
Old Blood Noise Reflector Chorus/Pitch Shifter
Dwarfcraft ARF, Happiness
Rifftone Mantra
Mooer Ana Echo (Maxon AD series)
Danelectro FAB Chorus
Fulltone Supa Trem2
Mad Professor Snow White AutoWah (b/g switch)
K.M.A Wurm (fancy Boss HM-2)
Mountainking Electronics Magnetar
MXR Raijin Drive, ilDiavolo Drive, Bass Distortion (rat inspired) M222 Talk Box (Don't be scared homie)
Death By Audio Soundwave Breakdown
EQD Pyramids, Disaster Transport SR, Spatial Delivery, Rainbow Machine, Arpanoid
Deadbeat Sound Delay laylaylay, visible overdrive
Xotic Effects XW-1 Wah, RoboTalk2
Ibanez Weeping Demon, DE7 Stereo Delay
Arion Stero Metal Master, SCH-1 Stereo Chorus
Hotone Krush, Grass
Valeton FL-10HB flanger (Boss BF-2)
Fromel electronics Seraphim (Boss Dimension series. Expensive and rare, usually. Sold for $300 originally)
Steel Panther Pussy Melter
Dark Glass Alpha Omega and Vintage Microtubes Series
Artificial Noise Velvet Dream (not a pedal, but such a glorious phaser.)

Last edited by Shadowkast; 4 days ago at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Cleanup, a few additions
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
Kaoss pad 3+.
Not a pedal. Cool box though.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsanddrones View Post
Co-signed on this! I love Digitech's work, they are very underrated.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Ty all for the replies!

@ shado kast: I will check your huge list! And btw with cheap I meant everything costing €300 at max.

I bought the 1st one (I found it by chance, I didn't know it):

Collision Devices - Black Hole Symmetry/

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I love my maudio black box I currently use it with my behringer td3 and sometimes use it for drum machines.. It was. Designed by Roger linn and is basically a adrenalinn pedal with more features. It has a USB and midi ports so your fx can be synced too your master tempo.
If your getting one try get the reloaded black version it's got more fx and preinstalled last firmware.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

A hodge-podge playlist of 350+ videos of pedals+synths that is routinely updated. I hope it us of some use to you all.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TYVgYo-AYPgDFe
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
Kaoss pad 3+.
agreed!
Much better for most synth players than getting a bunch of guitar pedals anyway.

Also as mentioned in a few posts, look at Zoom effects, they seem pretty underated in the guitar world so often really keenly priced for what you get.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
I love my maudio black box I currently use it with my behringer td3 and sometimes use it for drum machines.. It was. Designed by Roger linn and is basically a adrenalinn pedal with more features. It has a USB and midi ports so your fx can be synced too your master tempo.
If your getting one try get the reloaded black version it's got more fx and preinstalled last firmware.
I have one of them lying around, reloaded with the foot pedal...I just remembered. It had pretty crap guitar amps on it but the fx were good...gonna dig that out!

Boss SL20 is a great pedal for slicing things up or adding rhythm to pads etc

Digitech Luxe is a pretty unique chorus detuning pedal but only mono

Boss rv500 can sound totally out there...great pedal

Electrix Mo Fx, cheap fun but 2u rack not pedal..midi syncs though

EHX super ego +
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato View Post

2- I don't want to buy the usual known ones. I'd like to buy some "hidden gems".

Empress ZOIA will scratch plenty of itches. Can do synth, can do fx, looper, granular...
If you're into sound design it's a path well worth following. Check out the FB discussion group and the group's contributions on Patchstorage (https://patchstorage.com/platform/zoia/)

Cheers (o meglio, ciao... ;-) )

Paul
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGroOve View Post
Empress ZOIA will scratch plenty of itches. Can do synth, can do fx, looper, granular...
If you're into sound design it's a path well worth following. Check out the FB discussion group and the group's contributions on Patchstorage (https://patchstorage.com/platform/zoia/)

Cheers (o meglio, ciao... ;-) )

Paul
A great unit, no doubt. But it is above the stated budget.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

The fantastic channel of 3rdStoreyChemist has a ton of videos related to pedals+synths. Over 1700 in the playlist!

Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qDcVyNlnV3emO_

Also, Knobs does a lot of lo-fi/weird pedal demos and will timestamp the part of the video that corresponds to the instrument they are running through the effect. So you can skip past the Ukelele into a Warped Vinyl or whatever the fvck might not interest you.

Very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCar...jYOhQ/featured
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I have one of them lying around, reloaded with the foot pedal...I just remembered. It had pretty crap guitar amps on it but the fx were good...gonna dig that out!

Boss SL20 is a great pedal for slicing things up or adding rhythm to pads etc

Digitech Luxe is a pretty unique chorus detuning pedal but only mono

Boss rv500 can sound totally out there...great pedal

Electrix Mo Fx, cheap fun but 2u rack not pedal..midi syncs though

EHX super ego +
yeah i have the expression pedal board too
totaly agree the guitar amps dont sound brilliant on guitars but run a drum loop threw it mate it turns into a tasty beast.
the thing which is pretty unique too the blackbox are the tempo synced arpegiated delays ..too hear it in action check out this john mayer track this was done with one..

the main repeating guitar line is one of the presets.

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I don't like John Mayer at all.

Just wanted to say that.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato View Post

go look @ JPTRFX

fernweh (crazy twin delay), roygbiv (filthy modulation), kaleidoscope (reflektor verb) are pretty special and different from 'normal' pedals and a great starting point in his catalogue, they are fine with line too

in fact all his stuff is different, cool design, cool guy too, big fan of his stuff

use code

homeiswhereyourfuzzis

for 20% off
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

i sold most of my pedals. One i kept: a 70s Ernie Ball Wah. So cool to filter live with it.
Besides that i would today only look at EHX or a good multi pedal. Pedal frenzy is expensive, unless you know exactly what you want for your personal signature sound

Last edited by TonStrom; 1 day ago at 02:19 PM..
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Nah, pedals kick ass. <deleted by moderator - why this hostillity?! >

Last edited by Reptil; 19 hours ago at 08:23 PM.. Reason: -
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I don't like John Mayer at all.

Just wanted to say that.
i agree hes a douche bag and i dont like his songs but i did like that arp line.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsanddrones View Post

Other brands I'd recommend, reverbs and delays and so on that aren't Strymon or Chase Bliss expensive.;

Neunaber,
Mr Black,
OBNE,
Another vote here for Mr. Black. I just go a Twin Lazers and it’s nice.

The stereo pedals aren’t dirt cheap—in the $200’s—but they don’t sound cheap either.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
go look @ JPTRFX

fernweh (crazy twin delay), roygbiv (filthy modulation), kaleidoscope (reflektor verb) are pretty special and different from 'normal' pedals and a great starting point in his catalogue, they are fine with line too

in fact all his stuff is different, cool design, cool guy too, big fan of his stuff

use code

homeiswhereyourfuzzis

for 20% off
TY they are currently on sale at the JPTRFX shop (20%) on Reverb, with free shipping too!
So I bought this:

📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear