The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Endless Encoders of Arturia Controllers
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Endless Encoders of Arturia Controllers

I want to have a controller with endless encoders that can operate in relative MIDI CC mode in order to better control soft synths. On paper, Arturia controllers look great and are priced right (e.g., Beatstep, Minilab). However, I've quickly found quite a few negative reviews about the Arturia encoders being jumpy, unprecise and unreliable. Can you share your experience with Arturia encoders?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I don't know if they're the same as the macro knobs on my Matrixbrute, but those are amazing. Super buttery action and I haven't seen any bad behavior from them.

I heard that the Keylab MKII uses the same keybed as the Matrixbrute, so maybe they use the same rotary encoders too. Would make sense if they did.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Those encoder problems are universal. I don't think I've heard about an encoder equipped synth model that doesn't have it's encoders degrade and fail (possible exception below). I've had my share of bad experiences in this area.

Synths simply use too cheap encoders. Encoders that are built to last for years of rigorous use, and with high resolution, are too expensive for synths - although I'd gladly pay a few hundred dollars extra to know that a top shelf synth's panel controls would last 'forever'. The one possible exception I know about is Modal. They claimed to be using high quality encoders and I haven't heard complaints about them so that may be a case of paying for quality (of course the Modals are still fairly new and there aren't that many of them).

The MatrixBrute does not have any encoders - it uses endless potentiometers instead. They have a couple of orders of magnitude greater angular resolution (4096 steps in the MxB vs typically 24 or 32 steps for an encoder) and they're as solid and nice feeling as potentiometers. That's the way to go for continuous parameters IMO. Detented encoders are still perfect for discrete parameters, i.e. multi position switches and selecting items from a list.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the education, Doc! As always.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

You're welcome
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear