The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just Got My Poly D...I Don't Like It Yet
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just Got My Poly D...I Don't Like It Yet

So I just got my Poly D and was messing around with it for a couple of hours. It hasn't wowed me yet. Don't know if I'm going to keep it.
Attached Thumbnails
Just Got My Poly D...I Don't Like It Yet-20200620_233351.jpg  

Last edited by Michael T; 1 week ago at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Added Photo
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Great post. Keep us updated.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
So I just got my Poly D and was messing around with it for a couple of hours. It hasn't wowed me yet. Don't know if I'm going to keep it.
Have you ever used a minimoog or any moog? Just wondering if it doesn't measure up to that experience or if it's something else? Have you used the Behringer Model D clone?

I put one on pre-order during an MF sale, but they quietly canceled it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I could have said the same with most analog synths I've ever used. I wasn't wowed by the Model D or Pro One straight out of the box as so used to having presets on synths but after putting them in a mix and actually having to learn how to create sounds soon realised their beauty.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I was the same with the original MiniMoog Model D ... gave it plenty of time to be sure ... not everyone likes the same thing and there are no absolutes.
Old 1 week ago
3bc
Gear Addict

Not liking a minimoog sound is like not liking pizza. Of course those people exist. But they tend to be wrong in many other facets of life as well.

Not liking the behringer user experience makes sense to me tho.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It may have to grow on you. I've had synths like that, I wasn't sure if I cared for the sound until I dug in more and got used to it.

Interestingly, my first Moog (Sirin) I fell in love with from the first note. It sounds THAT good.

According to your studio link, you have a Behringer Odyssey too. How are you liking that compared to the D? Maybe you prefer the ARP or Odyssey sound over Moog, some people do. Nothing wrong with that.

Got some effects to run it through?

Try the headphone out-to-external in feedback trick.

Watch some Youtube reviews/patching tips videos to get some ideas.

P.S. Also, with analog, the first impression might be "this just sounds like my others", since they all produce more or less the same waveforms and filter them more or less the same way. Sometimes it takes time to find a new synth's niche, sweet spot, or whatever that draws you in. For me and my Sirin, it's the filter that drew me in. Maybe play around with that sweet ladder filter for a while. On the other hand, if you really crave PWM, hard sync or full ADSR envelopes, you might find the D architecture disappointing.

Last edited by kpatz; 1 week ago at 01:55 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Interested to hear others' experiences with it. I may yet get one.

I agree with others that it can take a few days or more, rather than a few hours, to get into an analogue synth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post
Have you ever used a minimoog or any moog? Just wondering if it doesn't measure up to that experience or if it's something else? Have you used the Behringer Model D clone?

I put one on pre-order during an MF sale, but they quietly canceled it.
I have a Moog Lil Phatty and the sound is just so warm and phat, instantly vintage goo yet modern. I can't say that about the Poly D yet. I liked the sound of my Behringer Odyssey instantly. No I haven't used Minimoog or Model D before. I'm kind of not impressed. I was looking for a "true" polyphonic Moogish product but the Poly D is not that. Paraphonic. Now my Prophet 6 is just sonic bliss.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
It may have to grow on you. I've had synths like that, I wasn't sure if I cared for the sound until I dug in more and got used to it.

Interestingly, my first Moog (Sirin) I fell in love with from the first note. It sounds THAT good.

According to your studio link, you have a Behringer Odyssey too. How are you liking that compared to the D? Maybe you prefer the ARP or Odyssey sound over Moog, some people do. Nothing wrong with that.

P.S. Also, with analog, the first impression might be "this just sounds like my others", since they all produce more or less the same waveforms and filter them more or less the same way. Sometimes it takes time to find a new synth's niche, sweet spot, or whatever that draws you in. For me and my Sirin, it's the filter that drew me in. Maybe play around with that sweet ladder filter for a while. On the other hand, if you really crave PWM, hard sync or full ADSR envelopes, you might find the D architecture disappointing.
As I have stated above Kpatz, I have a Lil Phatty and the sound instantly made me fall in love with it. That and my Prophet 6 I hope to never part with. I liked the sound of my Behringer Odyssey instantly as well. The tone is there instantly like a good vintage synth. The Klark Teknik effects on it are ok but nothing to write home about. I almost purchased a Sirin but I was after a bass synth and purchased the Minitaur instead. That thing is beastly. I was afraid that the Sirin might of took something away from the original sound. According to some it did.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

As far as effects, I don't like them when just listening for the initial sound of a synth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz View Post
I was the same with the original MiniMoog Model D ... gave it plenty of time to be sure ... not everyone likes the same thing and there are no absolutes.
So you never got to liking it? It just didn't work for you? You are right as far as different strokes for different folks. I hate the sound of the OB6 but love the sound of the Prophet 6.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I sent mine back too. Problem for me was that playing it as a 3- OSC mono synth didn’t sound at all like the Model D. And the paraphony is no replacement for a real poly, so it was kind of good at neither IMO. Chorus was very nice though...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a Moog Lil Phatty and the sound is just so warm and phat, instantly vintage goo yet modern. I can't say that about the Poly D yet. I liked the sound of my Behringer Odyssey instantly. No I haven't used Minimoog or Model D before. I'm kind of not impressed. I was looking for a "true" polyphonic Moogish product but the Poly D is not that. Paraphonic. Now my Prophet 6 is just sonic bliss.
Maybe paraphonic isn't for you then? Since you like the Odyssey and Phatty, how does the Poly D sound to you in mono mode?

Maybe you like some overdrive in the sound? Try the feedback trick, or turn up drive. Play with the mixer levels, some synth mixers are designed to clip some when turned up to change the character of the sound.

Or you are just particular about the sound you like. Little/Slim Phatty has its own sound, distinct from the Model D sound.

In any case, I'd give it a few days, at least wait until you are nearing the end of the return period, in case it doesn't end up gelling with you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
I sent mine back too. Problem for me was that playing it as a 3- OSC mono synth didn’t sound at all like the Model D. And the paraphony is no replacement for a real poly, so it was kind of good at neither IMO. Chorus was very nice though...
This is my fear as well. I don't know if I will ever like it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Maybe paraphonic isn't for you then? Since you like the Odyssey and Phatty, how does the Poly D sound to you in mono mode?

Maybe you like some overdrive in the sound? Try the feedback trick, or turn up drive. Play with the mixer levels, some synth mixers are designed to clip some when turned up to change the character of the sound.

Or you are just particular about the sound you like. Little/Slim Phatty has its own sound, distinct from the Model D sound.

In any case, I'd give it a few days, at least wait until you are nearing the end of the return period, in case it doesn't end up gelling with you.
To be 100% honest, in mono mode it's nothing special to me. I got instant satisfaction from my Bass Station II and SE02. They just sound good like amazing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I will post some clips soon. Chorus I, Chorus II, Unison, Mono and Poly modes.
Old 1 week ago
Try make some basses with it?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Is it as dark sounding as your photo?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabme View Post
I could have said the same with most analog synths I've ever used. I wasn't wowed by the Model D or Pro One straight out of the box as so used to having presets on synths but after putting them in a mix and actually having to learn how to create sounds soon realised their beauty.
I came from analog synths in the 80s, moved to digital synths in the 90s until the mid 00s, where I moved to using software for a stretch. When Dave Smith released his MoPho for $399 I thought it would be worth checking out. I picked it up at my local Guitar Center so I could easily return it if I didn’t like it.

It definitely wasn’t love at first sight. It took me a solid week to start to appreciate it and probably a month to really learn to love it. I realized that the on board feedback and filter FM sounded significantly better than any plugin at that time. I know the Model D featured filter FM, so I imagine the PolyD does as well. The original also let you do feedback if you fed the headphone into the audio input. Some analogs build this in now, as it ended up being so popular.

Anyway, you have to think of (most) analogs like a good quality steak at a steak house. If you’ve been eating at your local Indian restaurant, you’d wonder where the flavor is. The high end steak house is going to put it’s efforts into a high end cut of meat that’s cooked to perfection with a minimum of adornment. You are meant to just appreciate the meat. The Indian restaurant (except for the local one here, that has a Michelin star!) is most likely going to serve you cheap cuts of meat, and focus on the spices and curries. Of course, you may just want to put a few good quality effects processor on your PolyD, which can always help spice things up. I personally love the Strymon, UAD, or any number if plugin effects processor.

I love Indian food and I love a good steak.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be 100% honest, in mono mode it's nothing special to me. I got instant satisfaction from my Bass Station II and SE02. They just sound good like amazing.
I'd still give it at least a week, or longer if you have 30 days to return it. You may find a niche for it yet.

Seems you have a lot more analog synths than your "My Studio" link alludes to. Maybe time to update it?

You may also be at your point of "analog saturation," and another one will just be redundant, or not be as satisfying to you as what you have now. Or you really want the "Boog" Model D. Or... with the SE-02, Phatty and Minitaur you've got Moog well covered already... plus Odyssey, BSII and Prophet 6 for additional flavors.

Last edited by kpatz; 1 week ago at 11:51 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I love Indian food and I love a good steak.
Be careful wearing your "I love a good steak!" t-shirt into the Indian restaurant
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterfriendly View Post

Is it as dark sounding as your photo?
Lol. Yeah it's pretty dark sounding if you ask me. Here's a better picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Just Got My Poly D...I Don't Like It Yet-20200621_202057.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I brought a beautifully built and wonderfully conceived instrument, A Pioneer Toraiz As1 and had exactly the same response. It was a quality synth with a nice but not perfect interface, designed with some fun elements and super loud and punchy output volume. But just dull and murky, no real fizz in its filter and no sparkle in its resonance IMO, I actually went through all of its presets and didn't find one that wow'ed me (In my book a good indication if you're going to connect with it)

But it has many fans, just not my thing, I made a mistake, not the fault with the synth in any way !

Stop tormenting yourself and just admit you don't really enjoy the sound a Poly D makes and move on

Actually if you go through the threads you will see a lot of electronic musicians do not like paraphonic synths ( or don't get them ) , probably the same crowd that have been brainwashed to dislike thin sounding synths, as everything has to be Phat sounding in their world.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Would you mind expanding on how the 3 OSC mono mode didn't live up to your Model D? I own a Model D Reissue, and that is interesting to me. I.e., how could they be that different when they're both based on tri-VCO subtractive designs.

Quote:
Maybe paraphonic isn't for you then?
My favorite iterations of paraphony are my Roland RS-09, and ARP Solina. I personally think Behringer should have spent more time focusing on their Oberheim vco poly replica... that thing will be a watershed moment.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I think you need to learn and understand how the model d works, isn't a "typical" adsr, lfo, etc etc
When I get the boog I was a little bit disoriented too

anyway I'd never spend all that money in a modern synth without preset
It's ok for 300euro but over 700 no. no. no. no. nononononono

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoslo View Post
Would you mind expanding on how the 3 OSC mono mode didn't live up to your Model D? I own a Model D Reissue, and that is interesting to me. I.e., how could they be that different when they're both based on tri-VCO subtractive designs.
I wrote about this in another thread but in short: something with the gain staging to accommodate 4 VCOs with polyphony killed the balls in the 3-Osc mono sounds.

I found it impossible to get the same beefy sounds I could get from the D on the Poly D. I also found the envelope behaviour to be different. In short, this must be treated as an instrument in its own right and not as Model D, plus the benefit of a 4th VCO/Paraphony/Juno Chorus.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
Great post. Keep us updated.
Literally laughed out loud. Sorry, nearby humans.

On that note, dear gods we as a subspecies (Homo Slutzus) are spoiled.

No, it’s not just you, OP. We are all awful people. Such is the nature of slutz.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
Literally laughed out loud. Sorry, nearby humans.

On that note, dear gods we as a subspecies (Homo Slutzus) are spoiled.

No, it’s not just you, OP. We are all awful people. Such is the nature of slutz.
I often have to remind myself that one of my most joyful music times was me sitting on the floor of my apartment (no furniture) with a Korg Poly-800 (given to me in exchange for buying something with my employee discount for a friend) running into a Digitech PDS 8000 digital delay and getting played back by a Panasonic boombox.

It also wasn’t that long ago that if you wanted something that wasn’t a digital shadow of a Model D you’d have to shell out $5,000 or so. $3,500 for a reissue was a bargain. I’m not saying that anyone should keep a synth that they don’t like, but we should also remember that we’re so incredibly lucky to have such choice.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
i think he just doesn't like the old moogsound, and especially the operation. will probably be just as unhappy with a model-d or reissue. that's okay, but that's why he want to make a drama out of it .. I don't know.
great topic for the moanzone
Sometimes you have to buy to know, you know? I bought a Neptune 2 from another GSer. Absolutely loved the sound of that thing, but the operation was just not for me. No preset memory and a bunch of features were only accessible via MIDI. I noticed that I just wasn’t using it a lot. Fantastic synth, I highly recommend it, but it was just not for me, and there was really no way of knowing until I had it in my studio for a while. I’m sure the PolyD, and Boog, for that matter, would not be for me either.

Still, I recommend keeping the PolyD until the return period is over before I made a final decision. That’s how things work out sometimes. I struggled with my Peak for the entire 30 day return period, but when I decided that it was going back, something happened. I was less anxious about getting what I wanted out of it and I relaxed and was able to focus on what it was giving. I made a handful of fantastic sounds that I’m sure I could not have gotten from any of my other synths and I kept it. I didn’t like the interface, but a software editor was good enough and we all lived happily ever after.
Closed
Topic:
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear