The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synapse Obsession is out!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Synapse Obsession is out!

Synapse Audio (DUNE 3, The Legend) just released the latest in analog-poly synthesizers emulations.

An Oberheim OB-Xa emulation with some nice extras.

Go check it out!

https://www.synapse-audio.com/obsession.html

Last edited by Yorrrrrr; 2 weeks ago at 09:23 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorrrrrr View Post
Synapse Audio (DUNE 3, The Legend) just released the latest in analog-poly synths synthesizers. An Oberheim OB-Xa emulation with some nice extras.

Go check it out!

https://www.synapse-audio.com/obsession.html
I'm in love!

(with the synth... sorry! )
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yes, it is pretty good!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Arturia have some competition here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Arturia have some competition here.
It does not IMHO. OB-Xa V is OK synth, Obsession is between 6 and 27 levels up. It's I-can't-pull-bad-sound-of-it good. Better than Legend and Repro.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's really, really good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci View Post
Better than Legend and Repro.
Well, judgement reserved as both of those are (what I consider to be) the tops in analog emulations.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I think this belongs in the same league as Legend, RePro. All incredible soft synths. Nice to have another flavor of analog (Oberheim), done right. And this is unique because it lets you have different polyphonic voices (all parameters can be modified using the trimmers, per voice). Brilliant.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment View Post
Well, judgement reserved as both of those are (what I consider to be) the tops in analog emulations.
I have both Legend and Repro and consider them absolute top notch in VA land. But after 2 hours of testing I think that Obsession is better.

I'm not convinced that Obsession absolutely 100% nails OB-Xa, but I couldn't care less because Obsession does sound like flagship analog synth.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Been going through the presets, and there are a *lot* of instantly usable ones.

The "Jump Higher" -- meh. This "Butchers Cine Pad" -- O. M. G. Totally channeling Richard Wright here.

And, just in time for Father's Day! Kids, buy this for your dad. No, really. Just do it. He'll wonder how you knew...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My studio is currently in shambles, but once it’s all moved and setup again this is the first thing I’m gonna demo. Legend is an absolute beast of an emulation, very very close to real analog, reminds me so much of SE-1X and Omega8. So this new one I have high expectations.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have both Legend and Repro and consider them absolute top notch in VA land.
I don't think I really expressed what I meant on that original statement, which is to say that for me, Legend is the king of MiniMoog emulations, and Repro is the king of Prophet emulations. And for me, Diva is probably the best "all-around" VST.

I'm very pleased with Obsession, and am happy to put this at the top of OB emus, although I still have a real soft spot for OPX-Pro-II (and I hear they're about to release OPX-Pro-III).

Quote:
I'm not convinced that Obsession absolutely 100% nails OB-Xa, but I couldn't care less because Obsession does sound like flagship analog synth.
It really, really does sound like a flagship analog synth.

Me so, so happy right now...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Compare this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

with this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_I7XxkSWhs

and when yuo dont hear how much better real analog sounds, then something is wrong.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Why are we comparing Obsession (a software emu of a vintage Oberheim OB-Xa) to a Sequential Pro 3 (modern hardware mono/paraphonic)?

Last edited by Yorrrrrr; 2 weeks ago at 02:55 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Compare this video

with this

and when yuo dont hear how much better real analog sounds, then something is wrong.
Similarly unimpressed, not because the Pro 3 is any standard bearer but I think the Legend does its shtick more convincingly, this just sounds like yet another VA VST.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Compare this video

with this

Apple, meet orange.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

In the normal playing range Obsession will be scary close to the Original. I had the OB-8 in the 90s for 10 years so I remember quite well. Only in the higher octaves Obsession has aliasing. Original Oberheim is cleaner in the higher octaves. At the moment I would say, this is the best sounding analog synth emulation available. Glad I've sold the Moog One. Never liked it as much as I like Obsession. Who said, the Jump preset is meh...? Listen to the original song!! It's close. If you want to make Obsession sound fatter, try the init Saw preset and tweak it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWestSE View Post
Similarly unimpressed, not because the Pro 3 is any standard bearer but I think the Legend does its shtick more convincingly, this just sounds like yet another VA VST.
The real OBXa sounds more impressive than this. I like Dune 3 though. I think Repro is more authentic. Somehow I miss the presence in the heights here, the airband is a bit unclear (listened through Neumann310). The demo sound is full of reverb and other effects. Is it really necessary? A real analog tone doesn't need any reverb to impress. Just a thought.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Finally! Can’t wait to check it out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
when yuo dont hear how much better real analog sounds, then something is wrong.
I have a Minimoog Reissue. But, I use Legend because it’s convenient. The sound is the same to me.

For me, Legend, Repro, and Obsession are the top analog VSTs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone1313 View Post
I have a Minimoog Reissue. But, I use Legend because it’s convenient. The sound is the same to me.

For me, Legend, Repro, and Obsession are the top analog VSTs.
Most of the people ive talked to are loving this synth. There is always going to be a cork sniffer or two, but if it inspires you to make tracks thats all that matters.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
It does not IMHO. OB-Xa V is OK synth, Obsession is between 6 and 27 levels up. It's I-can't-pull-bad-sound-of-it good. Better than Legend and Repro.
So, I bought Obsession without even demoing it. I’m that confident he’d nail it. But I actually have been using OB-Xa V since it’s released and I really like that one. After I went though some presets on OBsession, I loaded up Arturia’s emulation along side and... really different. So different... like different synths were emulated. The resonance range in OB-Xa V was greater, the cutoff ranges were totally different... in some ways I like the OB-Xa V more, sometimes Obsession. I have to scratch my head as to what synths they were both using to make their emulations.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I only collect the best VST synths, don't see the need to have every single VST synth out there, that's why my VST synth folder only has Diva, Hive, Repro and Sylenth, now I will add this one for sure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
So, I bought Obsession without even demoing it. I’m that confident he’d nail it. But I actually have been using OB-Xa V since it’s released and I really like that one. After I went though some presets on OBsession, I loaded up Arturia’s emulation along side and... really different. So different... like different synths were emulated. The resonance range in OB-Xa V was greater, the cutoff ranges were totally different... in some ways I like the OB-Xa V more, sometimes Obsession. I have to scratch my head as to what synths they were both using to make their emulations.
Played with Obsession for a few minutes. Sounds great. Haven’t had a chance to compare it back-to-back with the Arturia one yet, but I noticed right away it uses way less CPU. I think I read something about it making heavy use of AVX. Maybe that’s the difference.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sample rate definitely seems to have an impact. Project and/or oversampling (via metasynth).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Played with Obsession for a few minutes. Sounds great. Haven’t had a chance to compare it back-to-back with the Arturia one yet, but I noticed right away it uses way less CPU. I think I read something about it making heavy use of AVX. Maybe that’s the difference.
I wasn’t focused on CPU, but I seemed to be fine on either of them. I’m really curious as to how these two emulations of the same synth can have such vastly different parameter ranges.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm hearing some pretty realistic VCA saturation in the signal path, pretty nice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good sounding synth!

Video walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtSe...ature=youtu.be
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I wasn’t focused on CPU, but I seemed to be fine on either of them. I’m really curious as to how these two emulations of the same synth can have such vastly different parameter ranges.
I have enough CPU power for both, but when I have 8 voices active on the Arturia one my CPU meter in Ableton Live (which idles around 10% with my default template) jumps up to 50%; with Obsession it only goes up to about 25%. I believe that only shows the activity on the busiest core and not the percentage of all CPU power available across all cores. Maybe the Synapse one just automatically uses multiple cores. I see the same apparent reduction in the CPU meter when I turn on the multicore option in Repro-5.

Arturia often has greater ranges for things like filter cutoff frequency and envelope times compared to the original instruments (which makes it a bit of a hassle to properly match patches to hardware or even other emulations). That said, in the case of OB-Xa V the manual does state the cutoff tops out at around 13 kHz to match the original, and you have to use the filter envelope to make it go higher than that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The demo sound is full of reverb and other effects. Is it really necessary?
Huh, you can turn off effects - and should turn them off, because FX sound between bad and nothing special.
I mean, you did demo it yourself before you judged it, right?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear