The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Romplers - which ones are still relevant in 2020?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Romplers - which ones are still relevant in 2020?

Hi all,

I currently have:

1. Kawai K4
2. Roland JV-1080
3. Korg N1R
4. Yamaha TG55

"kind of" romplers:

5. E-mu Morpheus
6. Kurzweil K2000

What would you add if you wanted more romplers?

Or is this enough?

p.s. have a few of VA's/Hybrids + some analogs (DCO mostly + VCA monos) as well
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Roland JD-990
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yamaha TG 33
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequadix View Post
Yamaha TG 33
Is it of any significant difference from the 55 that I have?
I remember there was a module with joystick and some "vector synthesis" - is that the one?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you like your JV-1080 (I have 3 of them)

Consider the following

IIntegra 7 has the entire JV/XV roms and presets plus all the SRX expansion cards, however also has the Rompler based VA engine in the Supernatural Synth Engine. When that first came out in the Jupiter 80 it got lost in the outrage that Roland dared called it a Jupiter and didn't make it analog

What got missed in all that was a very cool VA based on a deep Rompler sound set.

Mixing the VA with the legacy PCM sounds from the JV/XV line is amazing
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg42 View Post
I remember there was a module with joystick and some "vector synthesis" - is that the one?
If you are hoping for awesome swirling pads with motion you have found a great box. By today's standards it excels at that and fails at almost everything else. If you process with some external delay/chorus/reverb and EQ, it's really fantastic. It's capable of creating the typical late 80s breathy pads and layered bell/synth pad patches and I would say that at least 20 of the factory presets nail that stuff perfectly. Expect crappy basses and leads. And have the lowest of expectations for the rompler side of this box.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

For years I used ROMplers, everything from the lowly U220, GR33s, XV5050... for various reasons I felt like ITB solutions were as good if not better. I decided that I liked pure synthesis more. I was playing with the Roland Cloud XV5080 the other day and it was fun... but I don’t think I’ll ever use it again. If there was a ROMpler to buy in 2020 it would be the Korg Wavestate.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
If there was a ROMpler to buy in 2020 it would be the Korg Wavestate.
I'm trying to prove it's the JV1010.

It's small and cheap. Many sounds and takes the famous cards.

But inside are alot of parameters few owners ever reached. So once I get the Roland sysex down, I'll be able to compare it to playing with a DM12 or whatever. It won't be the same. But it might be just as interesting.

What the romplers have usually, is multi-timbrality. So one JV can pull off a few parts.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi all,

I currently have:

1. Kawai K4
2. Roland JV-1080
3. Korg N1R
4. Yamaha TG55

"kind of" romplers:

5. E-mu Morpheus
6. Kurzweil K2000

Or is this enough?

Yamaha CS6r
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely different instruments.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Hi all,

Or is this enough?
not counting your K2000, which is quite a deep and complex digital synth, i think you are solid stocked with "regular" ROMplers, and i would perhaps add another special one i.e. kind that offer something extra, either an additional synthesis option or processing function, to mangle the signal beyond the standard "PCM into lowpass filter" idiom that most basic ones have. favorites that i use from that subgroup are:

Yamaha SY/TG77 - lovely lofi rompler from late eighties plus 6op yamaha fm. its possible to use ROM wave as modulator operator in the fm engine.

Korg Wavestation AD - inside is AI² generation Rompler, but with wavesequencing, great effects with ext input, oscillator sync and other tricks. if you get waverex card you can feed it new waveforms.

JD990 - wonderful multimode filters, great selection of single cycle waves tailored for synthesis, various arhitectural structures involving dual filtering parallel/series and ring modulator, oscillator sync, even sort of fm in mono mode. fantastic chorus and reverb. bright and detailed sound, perfect complement to darker thicker Korgs from that era.

only simpler rompler i have is Yamaha TG500, which is a module version of SY85, just with doubled polyphony. never the less it sounds fantastic, so many usable presets. and has that unmistakeable early rave/trance/ambient-techno sound to it. also got a Sector101 card to feed it new waveforms.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

I currently have:

1. Kawai K4
2. Roland JV-1080
3. Korg N1R
4. Yamaha TG55

"kind of" romplers:

5. E-mu Morpheus
6. Kurzweil K2000

Or is this enough?

You really got the most relevant romplers; I would probably add a modern Yamaha one (some Motif-related module or keyboard) and get rid of the TG55.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you want to upgrade the TG55, you might want to look at the TG500 (SY85 rack). Multitambral out the wazoo. Full internal synth design tools.

Ensoniq SQr and equivalents have proto transwaves.

You do probably have enough, but that's rarely stopped anyone here from getting the itch....
Old 2 weeks ago
Anything E-MU Proteus 2000 series. Command Stations, XL-1, Mo Phatt, etc. Prodatum free software editor. Amazing ****. Get it if you can, while you can. It’s an amazing modular synth in a box which not only sounds superior but seriously rivals software synths of today.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Roland JD-800 or JD-990 for the best sounding rompler.

Yamaha MODX has the best rompler engine for bread and butter sounds, and you'll get awesome FM-X as a bonus.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Don't forget the Yamaha EX5R

if you can still find one at a reasonable price,these things have gone crazy price wise,this is one of the Romplers I wish I'd never sold it has a plethora of synthesis options inside it...sold it Because at the time my studio was full of Romplers and I decided to ditch most of my Rompler Racks which included among others Korg 01WR/TR Rack 2x Triton Racks,JV1080/JD990/D550,I'd sold them after getting a Korg Oasys,which also no longer is around!! When I look back and read threads of peoples desires of older gear like this is makes me sad to think of the gear that I've had and sold on,especially now since they are getting harder to source again at a reasonable price,that is if you can still get hold of half of them now,these digital things that were once in abundance seem to have vanished from every possible source of Musical Gear auctions and sites and when they do crop up they are pathetically way overpriced,as much as I would like to get back some of the old digital gems I've owned,I often change my mind when I think is it really worth it for the price they are selling it for.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

read all these advices, went to ebay to look at romplers... ended up getting a K5000R.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
Don't forget the Yamaha EX5R

if you can still find one at a reasonable price,these things have gone crazy price wise,this is one of the Romplers I wish I'd never sold it has a plethora of synthesis options inside it...sold it Because at the time my studio was full of Romplers and I decided to ditch most of my Rompler Racks which included among others Korg 01WR/TR Rack 2x Triton Racks,JV1080/JD990/D550,I'd sold them after getting a Korg Oasys,which also no longer is around!! When I look back and read threads of peoples desires of older gear like this is makes me sad to think of the gear that I've had and sold on,especially now since they are getting harder to source again at a reasonable price,that is if you can still get hold of half of them now,these digital things that were once in abundance seem to have vanished from every possible source of Musical Gear auctions and sites and when they do crop up they are pathetically way overpriced,as much as I would like to get back some of the old digital gems I've owned,I often change my mind when I think is it really worth it for the price they are selling it for.
One of the synths that I've sold and really miss is... KORG DS-8! But it was a long time ago and they are not really rare/expensive, so I'm sure I'll snatch one someday.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
Don't forget the Yamaha EX5R ....

I've still got mine. Sampling, AWM2, AN (VA), FDSP (polyphonic fx), and VL (virtual acoustic).

It has limitations - 'dsp resources full' messages get annoying.
But if you use it within those limitations, it still sounds great, and is pretty unique..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Anything E-MU Proteus 2000 series. Command Stations, XL-1, Mo Phatt, etc. Prodatum free software editor. Amazing ****. Get it if you can, while you can. It’s an amazing modular synth in a box which not only sounds superior but seriously rivals software synths of today.
Well, I used to have Vintage Keys Plus at some point in time, it was not bad. Does my (pre Matrix) Morpheus count?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chri View Post
Roland JD-800 or JD-990 for the best sounding rompler.

Yamaha MODX has the best rompler engine for bread and butter sounds, and you'll get awesome FM-X as a bonus.

Does MODX exist in rack form factor?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

No rack ;( That’s why I haven’t gotten a MODX (I‘ve waited to see what Yamaha would do). I don’t need another keyboard synth, but will soon buy a MODX. I am convinced there will be no MODX module.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

You've got a good spread, on your list I have a Kawai K4r and love it.

I'll second the Ensoniq SQ-R as something different you don't already have. I don't know what they're doing in that thing but it sounds great. I got an Ensoniq MR-Rack recently too but haven't spent any time with it yet beyond noticing the programming to be every bit as nonsensical as people said.

I chose the UltraProteus over the Morpheus but from what I know they're super similar.

I also have a Kawai XS-1 which I haven't dug into much either but there's a great Nacho Marty Meyer demo. It definitely has a sound I can see not having wide appeal but it's exactly the kind of thing I'm into.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
You do probably have enough, but that's rarely stopped anyone here from getting the itch....
amen to that! :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding View Post
You've got a good spread, on your list I have a Kawai K4r and love it.

I'll second the Ensoniq SQ-R as something different you don't already have. I don't know what they're doing in that thing but it sounds great. I got an Ensoniq MR-Rack recently too but haven't spent any time with it yet beyond noticing the programming to be every bit as nonsensical as people said.

I chose the UltraProteus over the Morpheus but from what I know they're super similar.

I also have a Kawai XS-1 which I haven't dug into much either but there's a great Nacho Marty Meyer demo. It definitely has a sound I can see not having wide appeal but it's exactly the kind of thing I'm into.

I find Kawai are THE best for non-common/weird sounds, and what's more is they all still sound very warm. They are almost the opposite of Roland - those tend to sound very clean and polished (not a bad thing either!). But where KORG is usually dark(ish) in sound, the Kawai are downright earthy/sandy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
read all these advices, went to ebay to look at romplers... ended up getting a K5000R.
Even better
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I've still got mine. Sampling, AWM2, AN (VA), FDSP (polyphonic fx), and VL (virtual acoustic).

It has limitations - 'dsp resources full' messages get annoying.
But if you use it within those limitations, it still sounds great, and is pretty unique..
I love the EX5R. So funky multiple engines. I played it for months when I first got it. CS6R/S80 were a lot of fun too. I still use the S80 frequently with it's weighted keys.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I had a CS6 and S80 too. Those are both long gone. I bought the EX5r when it first came out and have hung onto it all this time.
Never really considered selling it, because I knew I'd regret it if I did.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding View Post
I'll second the Ensoniq SQ-R as something different you don't already have.
Yeah. I had keyboard version (SQ2/32) and it indeed was great. The only downside is non-resonant filter. This synth uses the same chipset/engine as VFX and SD-1, but has more limited OS (three layers per patch instead of six, smaller display) and different waveROM - less transwaves inside in favor of more bread'n'butter sounds.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

definitely have to be added:

E-Mu P2000 and especially P2500 series (the latter is rackmount P2500 itself and desktop Command Stations).

also, Roland HandSonic HPD-15. for me, it's better than their current HPD-20.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear