The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Romplers - which ones are still relevant in 2020?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
In 2020? All this memory lane talk is fun, but these are sounds of decades past. I love the idea of incorporating these guys into modern productions but there is little chance of anyone getting much headway with sync libraries, producers, labels or even publishers when rival producers (sorry 'beat makers') are dishing up tracks with things like Omnishphere, Nexus, Heat Up, a zillion Kontakt libraries and so forth.

These all have 'production ready' sounds, and if you go on Youtube you can see guys making credible contemporary beats in minutes. Try that with any of these classics. They all need to be processed and layered extensively to compete.

I admire anyone with the passion, determination and skills to use these in 2020 but unless youre doing KPop, aka 90s RnB, you're at a major disadvantage.

These next gen romplers do take away much of the sound design elements, and can be accused of being presets for dummies, but everybody from Mozart to Miles Davis used presets! The age of the hero synth programmer from about 1980 to 2010 might be over.

People are interested more in making music and want to leave sound design to the professionals, whether its Stradivarius or Loopmasters.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
In 2020? All this memory lane talk is fun, but these are sounds of decades past. I love the idea of incorporating these guys into modern productions but there is little chance of anyone getting much headway with sync libraries, producers, labels or even publishers when rival producers (sorry 'beat makers') are dishing up tracks with things like Omnishphere, Nexus, Heat Up, a zillion Kontakt libraries and so forth.

These all have 'production ready' sounds, and if you go on Youtube you can see guys making credible contemporary beats in minutes. Try that with any of these classics. They all need to be processed and layered extensively to compete.

I admire anyone with the passion, determination and skills to use these in 2020 but unless youre doing KPop, aka 90s RnB, you're at a major disadvantage.

These next gen romplers do take away much of the sound design elements, and can be accused of being presets for dummies, but everybody from Mozart to Miles Davis used presets! The age of the hero synth programmer from about 1980 to 2010 might be over.

People are interested more in making music and want to leave sound design to the professionals, whether its Stradivarius or Loopmasters.
ok dad
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRSTPHRNLD View Post
ok dad
But he is dead on right, that is the reality of today.
Plus within a synth you have only so much mileage.
Sound designers combine elements from so many sources.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRSTPHRNLD View Post
ok dad
Lol. TBH I thought you were all the old masters trying to cling on to the past!

I therefore wrote respectfully, but it seems like my efforts and my respect were wasted on you.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

He’s absolutely right if we’re framing this in the context of “I want to make money/get famous/work as a session musician”; if you’re just a hobbyist the rules change dramatically: it’s then entirely about what makes you happy and improves your creative workflow.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpseDixit View Post
He’s absolutely right if we’re framing this in the context of “I want to make money/get famous/work as a session musician”; if you’re just a hobbyist the rules change dramatically: it’s then entirely about what makes you happy and improves your creative workflow.
Yes, if its just for you it doesnt matter if its 2020 or 1980. Do what you love with gear you love!

Oh and The Weekn'd just recently proved that there's life in the ol' gals yet...with 'Blinding Lights' - the exception that proves the rule.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In 2020? All this memory lane talk is fun, but these are sounds of decades past. I love the idea of incorporating these guys into modern productions
Yet "Modern Production" at least on the internet is all about Analog Synth Sounds literally the sound of decades past
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Don't agree at all.

With this theory, all old music is now unlistenable. Is that the case?

These sounds are in the mix and everything heavily processed into the bargain. No one cares or in most cases can even tell where it originated from.

I'd rather listen to a random track featuring JV1080 over Omnisphere any day just based on the law of probabilities of which one will be good.

If you need a certain instrument or VST to sound good then the chances are you are actually bad.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Yet "Modern Production" at least on the internet is all about Analog Synth Sounds literally the sound of decades past
Sure, and I have Arturia's 'Analog Factory' and a bunch of old keyboards organs and EPs, brass, steings etc (as VIs) because they're great. Even the 808 is literally underpinning everything.

Like I said, with work and skill you can use this gear to make cutting edge sounds, especially if you have outboard gear that is even older, going back to the 50s even.

But in 2020, which is what this thread is about, all that is too slow and too difficult, hobyists excluded. Kind of like TL;DR.

A shame? Absolutely.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Getting stuff done with my XV5080 is much easier than dealing with Roland Cloud updates, and that sadly is a fact.

There is no serious producer that can't deal with old romplers and gear 100 times more effectively than a hobbyist. They are hobbyists on steroids.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
Don't agree at all.

With this theory, all old music is now unlistenable. Is that the case?

These sounds are in the mix and everything heavily processed into the bargain. No one cares or in most cases can even tell where it originated from.

I'd rather listen to a random track featuring JV1080 over Omnisphere any day just based on the law of probabilities of which one will be good.

If you need a certain instrument or VST to sound good then the chances are you are actually bad.
What a lot of hostility in this thread! A lot of baseless inference surging forth.

Who said old music was unlistenable? Who said the sounds are not all over modern music?

As you say yourself, the sounds are heavily processed. The next gen romplers do that for you, to serve 2020's need for speed and convenience (unless you're a hobbyist). Old romplers need knowledge and skill to be used. New ones do not.

I dont know what is so hard to understand here.

As you were.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
I dont know what is so hard to understand here.
Maybe this part - get Omnishphere, Nexus and a Kontakt library, and sound like everyone else.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
there is little chance of anyone getting much headway with sync libraries, producers, labels or even publishers when rival producers (sorry 'beat makers') are dishing up tracks with things like Omnishphere, Nexus, Heat Up, a zillion Kontakt libraries and so forth.

These all have 'production ready' sounds,
And if you use the "production ready sounds" you will sound like everyone else with the same software

Many people enjoy music because they love to play. I am willing to bet I could make far more money playing live with my Integra 7 and a JV1080 in a cover band than 99.9% of the people trying to sell the same ****e online as everyone else using "production ready" sounds.

And most importantly have a lot of fun doing it.

In 2020 there will ALWAYS be someone using the same software as you with the same presets willing to give stuff away for free for "exposure" or sign all their rights away to a worthless online label.

I'll take having fun anyday
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
And if you use the "production ready sounds" you will sound like everyone else with the same software

Many people enjoy music because they love to play. I am willing to bet I could make far more money playing live with my Integra 7 and a JV1080 in a cover band than 99.9% of the people trying to sell the same ****e online as everyone else using "production ready" sounds.

And most importantly have a lot of fun doing it.

In 2020 there will ALWAYS be someone using the same software as you with the same presets willing to give stuff away for free for "exposure" or sign all their rights away to a worthless online label.

I'll take having fun anyday
This is deeply judgmental and short on logic.

Just because you don't like the music or the way the music industry works in 2020 doesn't make it ****e.

A cover band is something that caters to older music by definition. Not music of 2020 so much. Of course Omnisphere is going to fall over in a cover band! But you go rock that Integra at those high school reunions! Knock yourself out.

You're really just saying I like my old stuff and all new music is bad. They said the same thing about Rock and Roll 70 years ago?

This thread is unhealthy. Good luck!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
A cover band is something that caters to older music by definition. Not music of 2020 so much.
This is deeply judgmental and short on logic.

You clearly have no idea how actual working musicians work and get paid if you think cover bands only play older music
Old 1 day ago
<moderator message - @ grasspike @ Shaolin reminder; be polite?! thanks >
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Yahoo! The slutz didn’t succumb to the virus. Live long my friends
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

I still remember when each and everyone used the same DX7 presets in the 80s :-) Yet, there was Brian Eno who made it sound like nothing else....
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

How does this help answer the original post?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

This thread is unhealthy.
Not originally, no.

p.s. You come into a thread that is specifically talking about old/aged/vintage digital synths and surprised when your idea of "software is the way and all these old instruments are obsolete" isn't accepted here with enthusiasm?
Old 1 day ago
Here it is 2020 and my 76 key master controller is a Trinity and my main rack synth is a xv-5080. I write music that I like and hopefully it brings enjoyment to one or two people as well. I couldn't imagine writing music that is supposed to sound a certain way or it isn't mainstream enough. I could see how trying to make it in the industry would be a grinder and myopic in scope. Write now I can mix a mellotron with a Trinity layered with hardware synths and Kontakt libraries if I so choose. I know that won't sell records but when that's not the goal all the pressure becomes pleasure.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I know that I won't sell records but when that's not the goal all the pressure becomes pleasure.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Even tho i have an arsenal of modern monos and polys songs usually start from an idea on a d50 or lately a sy77 . If you have that sensibility for early 90s electronica ambiance they are as relevant as ever and in no way sound cheesy if used in correct context.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear