The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Romplers - which ones are still relevant in 2020?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I'm on my second Yamaha W7. Is that a rompler? I guess so. But oh what a rompler (hate the drum sounds though).
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg42 View Post
Hi all,

I currently have:

1. Kawai K4
2. Roland JV-1080
3. Korg N1R
4. Yamaha TG55

"kind of" romplers:

5. E-mu Morpheus
6. Kurzweil K2000

What would you add if you wanted more romplers?

Or is this enough?

p.s. have a few of VA's/Hybrids + some analogs (DCO mostly + VCA monos) as well
If you have Kawai then you need another one: Kawai K1rII. Excellent character, fantastic sounding transposition, dirt cheap. Try those exotic waveforms, stack 4 of them, detune... enjoy.

Now the holy trinity of romplers:

Yamaha TG-77 - Extremely powerful! Loopable envelopes, additive synthesis, FM synthesis, subtractive synthesis, RCM synthesis. Yamaha's high end device from the 90's. The FM engine itself is way more powerful than DX-7II. You have three feedbacks, plenty of character from the old (Yamaha REV) effects. Check out this excellent demos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1wFRW4N3mc
https://youtu.be/7_wg6d7xnQQ?t=212 - turn SY-77 into Eno ambient machine. Super excellent tutorial!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW51sJ-pN08

Roland JD-990 - It has become a bit pricey so think wisely do you need it or not. Definitely not low fi device, the only ROMpler i can think of that cuts absolutely thru every mix.

Korg Wavestation A/D - In combination with two external inputs it becomes a very sophisticated soundscape tool since you can create complex feedbacks and incorporate them into the wavesequence.

Also worth mentioning:

Ensoniq TS series. Nice character and beautiful effects. Wave sequencing on steroids. You can use exponential and linear crossfade. Wavestation is fixed linear. You also have modulation modifiers for some experimental stuff very similar to Kurzweil modifiers. Wavesequence demos here: http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=902

TG-500 nice cult machine from the 90's with plenty of character. Grab one of those newly made RAM cards, install them inside and load in your own samples. Great character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFpYAw73DcY

Korg M1 series. It exist in the software form and as far as i know it sounds like the hardware version. Which can not be said for Wavestation A/D since there isn't a software version of it, just the Wavestation SR kinda exist in software.

Ensoniq SQ-R Plus (32 voice), nice character from the legendary SQ series.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksp View Post
Romplers will always be relevant as time is an illusion
Lunchtime, doubly so...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

In fact, missing the form factor of Korg’s DS-8 (and M1) I bought a new Korg i3 for under $500. Now there’s a rompler ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
TG-500 nice cult machine from the 90's with plenty of character. Grab one of those newly made RAM cards, install them inside and load in your own samples. Great character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFpYAw73DcY

Korg M1 series. It exist in the software form and as far as i know it sounds like the hardware version. Which can not be said for Wavestation A/D since there isn't a software version of it, just the Wavestation SR kinda exist in software.

Ensoniq SQ-R Plus (32 voice), nice character from the legendary SQ series.
Yep! Got three of those myself. Should get a RAM card for the TG500. And I could get a Wavestation AD on loan or real cheap from a friend.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense_A View Post
All those E-MU proteus, command stations, mophatts can be had with the Emulator X3 software, which was powerful and is heavily slept on.
not very good option.
it can't be activated anymore, but even if you don't mind using cracked copy, it won't work on modern windows (newer than 7).

but yes, almost all those samples are there.

the only samples i could not found in any software form are those from Definitive B-3 ROM.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
not very good option.
it can't be activated anymore, but even if you don't mind using cracked copy, it won't work on modern windows (newer than 7).

but yes, almost all those samples are there.

the only samples i could not found in any software form are those from Definitive B-3 ROM.
Thank you for mentioning that. Yes it became a headache because the server that checks the serial number/code was down. I think that forced owners who had legitimate purchased copies to use the crack that someone developed. Read up on it before anyone buys a used copy. I think I got mine with my old emu1820m.

As with all software and plugins, compatibility with future OS upgrades is a huge setback. Once you spend a whole weekend struggling with drivers, reinstallations, etc. You begin to understand why so many just want the hardware.

I still stand by my position. For rompler purposes, the 20+gb point and click edit and save software options are superior to most of the two unit rack solutions that got you bending over and hurting your back to edit, menu diving and all that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
A

For rompler type stuff, I'd just go to software solutions like this. Then use your Kurzweil K2000 or another sampler to sample your favorite sounds and have in your hardware setup. The days of buying rack mount romplers and then coming out of pocket hundreds of dollars more for extra roms is for suckers.
or people with good hearing who know you cant sample a synth and have an identical quality of sound and that a lot of these old romplers have quite unique tonality as they have coloured outputs.

No sampler can replace a rompler , i tried for 20 years on a off , the raw sound of them cant be matched sometimes and they have their place for people not locked down into this myth of a one box solution which is a myth.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I still stand by my position. For rompler purposes, the 20+gb point and click edit and save software options are superior to most of the two unit rack solutions that got you bending over and hurting your back to edit, menu diving and all that.
Unless of course you prefer the sound of the 2U option

Roland especially put a lot of money and talent into making the JV/JD/XV line. They also had Eric Persing at the helm who created some amazing samples.

One thing about them is that there is a lot of samples and waves from vintage analog synths that can never be recreated

In the early 90's Eric Persing was able to get mint condition analog synths that were only 5, 10, or 15 years old then recorded them in big studios in LA

Where are you going to get a mint 10 year old Jupiter 8 to make your multi GB sample set?

There is also magic in the hardware and software to pull out the best tones with limited memory and CPU power (by today's standard)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No sampler can replace a rompler , i tried for 20 years on a off , the raw sound of them cant be matched sometimes and they have their place for people not locked down into this myth of a one box solution which is a myth.
Well, some samplers can be romplers in the sense that if it is a sampler with a large available source of canned sounds (for example the E-Mu sample libraries.) To be even more "rompler" some samplers had options for actual rom sounds (Kurzweil, E-Mu E4, Ensoniq ASR).

The point you're making is true, though I'd probably qualify it a bit by saying that sampling a Kurzweil sound with an E-Mu only gives a tiny tastes of the "kurzweil sound". The only way to get the full sound is to get a Kurzweil. This isn't anything anyone would disagree with if I replaced "Kurzweil" above with "moog" or "prophet", but some people here seem to thing that all a rompler does is play back the ROM sound without modification. (this is part of my pet peeve of not calling romplers "synths". A Kurzweil or an E-Mu E4 and actually mold the sound significantly more that most hard wired OSC->FLT->AMP analog synths.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

miss my fa06 rompler and I think i will buy a modx6. Does that count as rompler?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

best fifty bucks i spent years ago was on a emu planet phatt

http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/phatt.php

i use it more and more than ever. has some killer sounds and like straight up sounds perfect usually with no eq or anything going in. the stereo imaging is great. its bright ugly ass purple also which rules.

spitfire and westworld did this contest not long ago. besides 1 track of my moog, i used about 20 plus tracks to make this thing, and all of them were the emu planet phatt. i ran a m185 into it and a sq1 also and a bit of my 303 controlling it. fun ****.

https://youtu.be/6iMBV5B6XC8
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
All those E-MU proteus, command stations, mophatts can be had with the Emulator X3 software, which was powerful and is heavily slept on.

It shipped with over 3GB of sounds, including the complete Proteus 2000 soundset, a stunning 1.5GB Grand Piano, 24-bit drums and grooves, Xtreme Lead X, and more – additional soundsets available. It replaces racks that would have cost you thousands of dollars to purchase.

E-MU Sound Central Library

Platinum 88
Modern Symphonic Orchestra
Xtreme Lead X
Techno Synth Construction Yard
Protean Drums X
Beat Garden X
MoPhatt X
Planet Earth X
Virtuoso X
Vintage Pro X Vol 1
Vintage Pro X Vol 2
Vintage Pro X Vol 3
Street Kits
Beat Shop Two

For rompler type stuff, I'd just go to software solutions like this. Then use your Kurzweil K2000 or another sampler to sample your favorite sounds and have in your hardware setup. The days of buying rack mount romplers and then coming out of pocket hundreds of dollars more for extra roms is for suckers.

In fact, once the integra comes down in price or Roland comes out with the next generation of the Integra 7, those old JV-1080s, 2080s, etc are going to crash in market value. That's if the capacitors on your JV cards don't blow up first.
Does the Emulator X3 software feature the randomize function? Cause it's very cool and useful on the Proteus 2000.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherun View Post
miss my fa06 rompler and I think i will buy a modx6. Does that count as rompler?
Yes. It's both a rompler and an FM synth. I'm gonna get it myself as soon as possible. Amazing synth
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No sampler can replace a rompler
Because samplers are actually Ramplers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'd love to see Roland release a Boutique series rompler that had all the sounds (including all expansion card sounds) from the JV1080/2080.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I'd love to see Roland release a Boutique series rompler that had all the sounds (including all expansion card sounds) from the JV1080/2080.
Doesn't Integra contain all of those?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg42 View Post
Doesn't Integra contain all of those?
Of course, but it is 2U and 3-4 times as expensive as a boutique.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just my humble opinion.... but I think literally ANY piece of gear is still relevant as long as you’re willing to put the work in. In fact as soon as you proclaim something to be irrelevant you’re begging to be made look stupid by someone who has mastered said piece of gear. A great deal of what is considered to be “modern” is based on convenience, not pure functionality. Most of those old “romplers” are actually quite amazing under the hood. I’ve had certain synth modules for 25+ years and have barely scratched the surface (due to my own laziness).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Just get a JV1010. It's a tiny 1/2 racksized unit. Has the complete JV factory rom and the session card built in. Also takes one expansion card
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
Of course, but it is 2U and 3-4 times as expensive as a boutique.
I had a Roland boutique and returned it quickly.

I have no regrets and consider my Integra a long term investment bargain. It's satisfied my V-drum, rompler articulations, Roland history, and multi-timbral needs. The extra 4 inputs and SPDIF capabilities just add to the bargain. There's a lot of great sounds that flesh out my Kronos shortcomings, more than I can say for the MODX, although there's a lot of great sounds there too.

We all have different tastes, budgets, and space requirements.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I had a Roland boutique and returned it quickly.
Frankly, I think that if someone wants a small-size synth with the JV sound set they should simply get a JV-1010 (as suggested above) or a XV-2020 (half rack XV module, takes two SRX boards).

Quote:
I have no regrets and consider my Integra a long term investment bargain. It's satisfied my V-drum, rompler articulations, Roland history, and multi-timbral needs. The extra 4 inputs and SPDIF capabilities just add to the bargain. There's a lot of great sounds that flesh out my Kronos shortcomings, more than I can say for the MODX, although there's a lot of great sounds there too.

We all have different tastes, budgets, and space requirements.
Yeah, I don't think that Roland will ever do a Boutique synth with all of the JV and XV patches as long as they can shift the Integra-7. And even if they did, the sound quality would be worse. I also suspect the physical interface would be outright horrible. Doing all those detailed settings on a small (or with no) screen is already rather disagreeable on most JV/XV synths, just imagine how awful it would be on something boutique-sized.

My own JV-desiderata got pretty much satisfied when I got lucky at a flea market last year and picked up a JV-35 for not much. The JV-35 is a Roland Sound Canvas SC-55 Mk.II/SC-88 hybrid (600+ patches) with limited real-time edit and 256 user memory slots, but also an expansion slot (JV-50 adds sequencer). One of the expansion cards adds the whole JV-80 sound engine and aggressive filter plus the JV-1000 sound set and sounds from a little known JV-80 expansion card (so 512 more patches + another 256 memory slots). Not everything can be edited from the front panel, but for what I paid for the synth and the expansion card it was absolutely worth it...

This is the JV-30 (lacks expansion slot), but basically JV-35 behaves the same:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Just get a JV1010. It's a tiny 1/2 racksized unit. Has the complete JV factory rom and the session card built in. Also takes one expansion card
It still wouldn't have all the expansion card sounds though. I already own two JV1080's (both loaded with different expansion cards). Would be cool to have a compact/easy to gig with synth that had all those old expansion card sounds.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
Yeah, I don't think that Roland will ever do a Boutique synth with all of the JV and XV patches as long as they can shift the Integra-7. And even if they did, the sound quality would be worse. I also suspect the physical interface would be outright horrible.
Now that Roland has the JV/XV Cloud version, it should be possible to release it as a Boutique. But maybe Roland rather wants to push the Cloud version. It should not influence the sales of the I7, which is still the top-line choice for the newer SuperNatural sounds.

The screen size should not be an issue - the JV1010 and XV2020 had a 3-segment LED only. Granted, a screen would help for editing, but for an easily-portable solution a Boutique would be hard to beat.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The 1010 is a monster, but impossible to edit from the screen. The various Ipad apps and old software sort of work, but kill the buzz utterly.

What's the magic word?

Sysex, BCR-2k, + AP500. Utterly brutal programing task. I'm in the middle of it. JD800 would be best controller, but they are not so cheap anymore.

Many vids compare the 1010/80 etc to newer stuff. Eyeopening.

Some of the cards now cost more than the 1010. Once you get even some simple real time control, for release and effects and voice mix (all cc), the instruments really get fun to play. Many great EPs and even the APs are not at all annoying with a few tweaks, or none. Strings are nice etc, Vintage synths are interesting, each a snapshot, but I can't wait to access the matrix and envelopes per tone.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I mean theres always roland cloud, the Korg triton plugin, xpand2 etc
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear