The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Romplers - which ones are still relevant in 2020?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Romplers - which ones are still relevant in 2020?
All of them. They all aren't relevant to everyone but I'd be willing to bet that each and every rompler that has ever been made still has at least one person that it is relevant to, making every rompler relevant.

EDIT:Either define what you mean by relevant or use the question in the first post as the title question instead of asinine title that we currently have.

yea..i guess im just an angry son of a bitch thats tired of seeing these types of titles, and i just want to complain about it. Thread Titles Matter. All your gonna get is a random listing of romplers that people like or have experience with. you'll get people saying how they still use their M1 or how the EMUs still have a great sound and huge library or that the 01-W rules them all or whatever. It'll be about as helpful as throwing darts at Vintage Synth Explorer.

Keep the K4. Still got mine.
Also have a CS6x and an E-MU XL-7.

Just buy something current. It'll likely be large step up from what you have with tons of new stuff.

Last edited by pr0gr4m; 3 weeks ago at 08:47 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpudding View Post

I also have a Kawai XS-1 which I haven't dug into much either but there's a great Nacho Marty Meyer demo. It definitely has a sound I can see not having wide appeal but it's exactly the kind of thing I'm into.

There are a few half rack boxes that are absolutely worth it.

Kawai's GMega, the XS-1's predecessor, is also great. Both are essentially cut-down versions of some of Kawai's full size synths for the General MIDI crowd, but you can still edit everything and get features not seen on the typical GM box.

Yamaha TG-300 is another one. Looks like an early Yamaha GM rompler box, half rack, but 2U tall and with a nice big display. You get 195 waves besides the preset patches to make your own sounds and full editing capacities. It's like a halved TG-500 (no highpass filter though...). Also it's cheap.
Note: Some people claim Yamaha's later MU1000 and MU2000 XG boxes also have full editing capacities. This is not true, you can't edit any of the element parameters AFAIK, unlike on the TG-300.

The MU128/1000/2000 are still useful as hosts for up to 3 Yamaha PLG expansion boards, but for the price of a MU2000 you can also have a Motif ES Rack...where all parameters are accessible. MU128 still is a good option, despite the lack of patch editing, because it can also be used as a multi-effector thanks to its audio inputs, and is decently priced because the MU1000/2000 are more popular with the vintage PC gaming crowd.

Many of Korg's half rack and small tabletop rompler offerings can be fully edited via sysex (they almost all share the same sysex parameters, the ROM sizes are different). Some have special additional features, too. AG-3/AG-10 get (unintentional) modulation (see here).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
All of them. They all aren't relevant to everyone but I'd be willing to bet that each and every rompler that has ever been made still has at least one person that it is relevant to, making every rompler relevant.

EDIT:Either define what you mean by relevant or use the question in the first post as the title question instead of asinine title that we currently have.

yea..i guess im just an angry son of a bitch thats tired of seeing these types of titles, and i just want to complain about it. Thread Titles Matter. All your gonna get is a random listing of romplers that people like or have experience with. you'll get people saying how they still use their M1 or how the EMUs still have a great sound and huge library or that the 01-W rules them all or whatever. It'll be about as helpful as throwing darts at Vintage Synth Explorer.

Keep the K4. Still got mine.
Also have a CS6x and an E-MU XL-7.

Just buy something current. It'll likely be large step up from what you have with tons of new stuff.
Agree about the title, my bad. I guess I meant "what romplers that I don't have would be relevant to buy for me in 2020" :-) My thread title, on the other hand is a click bait. Guilty as charged!

But at the same time it's interesting to hear about some synths that might not necessarily be relevant to you, but still are to someone else and that makes you go look for demos on the youtube and discover something new.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg42 View Post
I find Kawai are THE best for non-common/weird sounds, and what's more is they all still sound very warm. They are almost the opposite of Roland - those tend to sound very clean and polished (not a bad thing either!). But where KORG is usually dark(ish) in sound, the Kawai are downright earthy/sandy.
I’ve heard that too about Kawai, which machine would you recommend? Also, are they still making modern synths with an interesting sound engine? All I ever see is their electric pianos. Which sound engine Is the mojo machine? I’ve always been interested in Kawai.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I’ve heard that too about Kawai, which machine would you recommend? Also, are they still making modern synths with an interesting sound engine? All I ever see is their electric pianos. Which sound engine Is the mojo machine? I’ve always been interested in Kawai.
Unfortunately they got out of the synth game quite long ago. The closest they currently have to a synth is the MP-7SE stage piano, but it is mostly a rompler (with a hidden General MIDI sound bank).

I would however love a MP-7 successor that actually offered K1/K3/K4/XD5/K5/K5000 virtual instruments besides the MP7's modelled acoustic instruments...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Romplers are like computers: most of the old ones are not worth using today, a few had special features and personality and can be interesting. But for the most part it is best to have a modern one with more features and capability.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Those that I still use, Ensoniq TS-10 has that big expensive presence which is hard to get with computer, Korg X3 sucks so bad its kind of interesting.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Majority of my experience is with K1 - unbelievably weird little synth. I wouldn't call any of KAWAI mojo machines. They are more like nerd's secret weapon - use them sparingly! Unless you're into some kind of experimental music, that is. :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
If you want the "set" then it would be one of the Korgs either 01/W or Trinity or Triton.
Also, as several have suggested, if you're happy to pay the price, a Roland JD990.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Alesis Nanosynth. I am in love. Except editing does not look deep via MIDI, it used a computer cable to work most of that stuff.

Rompler.......misleading term.

Every tweak you can do with a JD800, you can achieve with sysex and a JV1010. That is quite a few parameters adjustable in real time.

Like the 990, the 1010 has indivudal tone panning. But the Nano sounds pretty dang good and is yet half the size. But how to get to those parameters......

These are not easy to find.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Majority of my experience is with K1 - unbelievably weird little synth. I wouldn't call any of KAWAI mojo machines. They are more like nerd's secret weapon - use them sparingly! Unless you're into some kind of experimental music, that is. :-)
Ha! Funny. Thanks for the heads up! Lol. But yes, I do love experimental music, but nothing too rigid.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post

Alesis Nanosynth. I am in love. Except editing does not look deep via MIDI, it used a computer cable to work most of that stuff.

Rompler.......misleading term.

Every tweak you can do with a JD800, you can achieve with sysex and a JV1010. That is quite a few parameters adjustable in real time.

Like the 990, the 1010 has indivudal tone panning. But the Nano sounds pretty dang good and is yet half the size. But how to get to those parameters......

These are not easy to find.
Nanosynth sounds nice, but for the price they want for it (on EvilBay) you could buy a QSR which probably makes more sense, no?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I miss my Korg DS-8.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have been using a Roland JV-880 recently, like it a lot

this fellow has released a ctrlr for it: it's excellent

https://ctrlr.org/tag/jv-880/
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
comes down to the constantly debated point here of what a "rompler is" .... I went backed an looked at all my gear & found that, with only a few exceptions, majority of my studio stuff consists of what many would term "romplers".....so i like nearly all of them

But, for example, I have a jd990 & xv5080 they are great but i think with a better budget etc I would now get something else (Integra 7 for example)

If i was starting out I guess the standouts for me would be the;

EMU 2500 (very dependant on ROMs fitted though, the "composer is especially dated etc)

Yamaha EX5R - dont think its fair to call it a rompler (its one aspect of it) but whatever you call it its a powerhouse of a synth.

Korg Trinity - has the "glossy korg digital" sound (in a good way) dont know why just I like it better than the later triton or others from that similar era Korg family.

Ones I personally wouldnt own again -
JV1080 fantastic in its day but now a bit "meh" (but still more useful than things like the Korg M1 or Alesis quadrasynth)
Kawai K1 - Ive had most of the Kawai's this isnt worth bothering with
Not a huge fan of the Yamaha Motif/Es/XS either
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
I miss my Korg DS-8.
I liked that one too. But I guess it was a 4-op FM synth and not a rompler?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

embrace the term "rompler". Many use the term as a put down, but I love good romplers. The EX5 is definitely a rompler with added non-rompler engines. My Kurzweil's are all romplers. The Wavestation is a rompler, as are the Morpheus, most Ensoniqs and E-Mus. The make amazing sounds. Just because a synth can mangle the s**t out of ROM samples, doesn't mean its not a rompler. Like DJKrishna, most of my synths a romplers at their core.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
embrace the term "rompler". Many use the term as a put down, but I love good romplers.
Most people who put down "Romplers" do so because they can't program them and work under the hood

So they stick with "Fisher Price" aka Analog synths that only have a few waveforms and some knobs
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Most people who put down "Romplers" do so because they can't program them and work under the hood

So they stick with "Fisher Price" aka Analog synths that only have a few waveforms and some knobs
Bad user interface is its own disincentive. The rise of the rompler coincided with the collapse of clear interface design.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drglas View Post
I liked that one too. But I guess it was a 4-op FM synth and not a rompler?
True. And I’m very happy with 6-op FM on my latest Kurz PC4 rompler, but that DS-8 sure was something special. Exchanged it for an original Alesis QuadraSynth. Probably shouldn’t have.
Old 3 weeks ago
If using ROMplers, why not use the default patches? Like brass, strings, sax, guitar, bass, stuff like that. That’s what they were meant for imo.
I’d recommend if old Roland JV-1080/XP-60 or Emu Proteus/1 or Proteus/2.
If new Yamaha MX49/61 or Roland Juno-DS 61.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a Korg Triton rack with a bunch of extra cards. I haven't switched it on in about 10 years. It was really popular for a few years a long long time ago.
I really should sell it.
I also had a alesis nanobass which I loved and used all the time until it stopped working.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I had the Triton rack, XV-3080 and XV-5080, QSR and a bunch of others - all gone now.
I did keep a Motif ES rack, mostly because its got AN and DX plg boards installed.
For me, the usefulness of straight romplers depends on what you can do with the basic samples.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

That low sampling quality of my JV-1080 sure beats many new fizzy sounds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chri View Post
No rack ;( That’s why I haven’t gotten a MODX (I‘ve waited to see what Yamaha would do). I don’t need another keyboard synth, but will soon buy a MODX. I am convinced there will be no MODX module.
The keyboard is fugly but I would jump on a module. Don't have the cash for a Montage.
Old 3 weeks ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

I currently have:

1. Kawai K4
2. Roland JV-1080
3. Korg N1R
4. Yamaha TG55

"kind of" romplers:

5. E-mu Morpheus
6. Kurzweil K2000

What would you add if you wanted more romplers?

Or is this enough?

p.s. have a few o

f VA's/Hybrids + some analogs (DCO mostly + VCA monos) as well

No kawai k1 ?!
Tg77 !

Romplers will always be relevant as time is an illusion and the idea of ' dated ' sounds is the result of being lost in ' current ' time
Old 3 weeks ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Sounddiver !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post

This is why I love my new Fantom so much. I can get the depth of a rompler with Fisher Price ease.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
All those E-MU proteus, command stations, mophatts can be had with the Emulator X3 software, which was powerful and is heavily slept on.

It shipped with over 3GB of sounds, including the complete Proteus 2000 soundset, a stunning 1.5GB Grand Piano, 24-bit drums and grooves, Xtreme Lead X, and more – additional soundsets available. It replaces racks that would have cost you thousands of dollars to purchase.

E-MU Sound Central Library

Platinum 88
Modern Symphonic Orchestra
Xtreme Lead X
Techno Synth Construction Yard
Protean Drums X
Beat Garden X
MoPhatt X
Planet Earth X
Virtuoso X
Vintage Pro X Vol 1
Vintage Pro X Vol 2
Vintage Pro X Vol 3
Street Kits
Beat Shop Two

For rompler type stuff, I'd just go to software solutions like this. Then use your Kurzweil K2000 or another sampler to sample your favorite sounds and have in your hardware setup. The days of buying rack mount romplers and then coming out of pocket hundreds of dollars more for extra roms is for suckers.

In fact, once the integra comes down in price or Roland comes out with the next generation of the Integra 7, those old JV-1080s, 2080s, etc are going to crash in market value. That's if the capacitors on your JV cards don't blow up first.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense_A View Post
those old JV-1080s, 2080s, etc are going to crash in market value. That's if the capacitors on your JV cards don't blow up first.
FWIW the capacitor issue was WAY overblown (no pun intended)

Even Roland is not servicing them anymore or recommending you do

Could one blow? Sure, but that's true of any piece of old electronics

I happily use 20 separate expansion cards in my JV/XV synths only one has a new capacitor as it came that way when I got it used, zero worries
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear