The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Iridium
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
@ lordradish , in addition to above, also remember you can work with the two layers to create up to 6 independent oscillator/envelope settings as sources/destinations.
Oh, I know! I'm just not there yet! Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Even both are different machines, how do you feel it compared to the XT or XTK ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's a new track featuring all sounds from the Waldorf Iridium. Also with aerial drone footage of the Delaware River from the Camden, NJ waterfront.

Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 93fe8ef
Beautiful, TJ
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 93fe8ef View Post
Beautiful, TJ
Thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Making use of a watery bubbling sample I found that I like the sound of to build a patch around.

As always, its just one patch recorded live, no multi-tracking etc.

Old 3 weeks ago
Hey, KMN04! Your pieces always make me think I'm watching the beginning of some sick sci-fi movie. I think you've single-handedly convinced me not to sell my Quantum and get back to recording my library of field-samples with the gear below, which I specifically bought for use with my then-new Quantum. Thank you for enriching the forum with your creative and inventive pieces which really highlight the instrument's potential. Bravo!

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaffin Music View Post
I'm contemplating selling my Quantum and getting the Iridium in its place. Honestly, the Quantum's analog filters don't really do much to my ears. The digital former sound just as good - if not better in some circumstances - so that and getting an extra 8 voices and a whole lot more desk space(!) seems a bit of a no-brainer to me...?

Unless... do Waldorf intend to extend the 16-voice capability to the Quantum? (Maybe they've done it already and I'm not aware of it? :D)

Zaff.
You can bypass the analog filters, right? Do that for a week, like people put synths in closets. See if after a week or two you still love it, if so, set it free and get the Iridium. Easy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoC View Post
I'm a big fan of Omnisphere, and wanted to point out a few things.

First is that if you get the main Spectrasonics suite of Omnisphere, Keyscape, and Trilian it's $1200.
All 3 packages are great, but it's premier pricing, and adds up quick if you want everything. If you don't need/want realistic pianos and basses, you can just use Omnisphere on it's own.

In Omnisphere there are so many great patches that you get lost just picking and rating them. I see this as a great thing, and it's very inspirational.
I don't think anyone has heard all the 16K+ patches, and they are actually intelligently organized.

While the FM is fairly straight forward, it's coupled with things like harmonia (multiple offset voices), and can be applied to any wave shape, plus you can use wavetables and animate them within FM.

Granular is the same way, as it's straight forward to use, but when integrated with everything else in Omnisphere's arsenal it's very powerful.
For example you can have 4 layers of granular in a single part, with 8 parts per Omnisphere instance (if your CPU can handle it).

I've owned many VSTs, and now I use Omnisphere for pretty much everything. Not because I'm forcing myself to, but because I just prefer it. It sounds better, and I esp love the effects and effects routing.

So if I'm such an Omnishpere fan, why did I pre-order an Iridium?
Because having purpose built music hardware that works outside of a DAW is very attractive to me. I don't have to think about CPU usage or limits, it's just does what it does.

So basically I'm a gearslut.
Also, the audio rate stuff in Omnisphere... doesn’t sound that great. I’m not even an Iridium owner and I’m sure it sounds better. Not cutting Omnisphere down, there’s a lot to love about it, but you don’t get the best FM... or analog modeled filters, which I’m sure are also better on the Iridium.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipson View Post
A gearslut would do anything without discrimination, but you seem to have a method to your madness. My question is this: will the Iridium let me do real time tone shaping and modulation in a way you'd never do with Omnisphere's mouse-based sequential access. CC assignments are great with Omnisphere, of course, but Iridium makes a whole lot more available for random access, for playing in real time. I wonder, though, if Iridium will really be fun and practical this way, or is it primarily appealing as a DAW liberator? In other words, aside from being a computer with knobs, is it also a player? I'd sluttily order one just to find out firsthand, but with that price tag, I seem to be waiting for more demos.
I look at it like this. A plugin is like a downhill slope. In Omnisphere, I can right-click assign like a speed skier, with nothing slowing me down. I can go from init to a very complex sound pretty quickly.

On a hardware synth, I feel it’s more like cross country skiing. Weaving though trees, taking slopes up and down. It’s just more physical motion. It sort of forces you to wander around a bit in a way that you might not with software.

For me, neither way is better, though it can vary by instrument. I’ve got hardware synths like the Peak where I’ve almost never touched it’s front panel. The menu frustrates me. Then there’s the Prophet 12 module next to it, which is a joy to work with. I think by the look of it, the Iridum is a joy to work with. They did the right thing by putting that healthy sized touch screen on it. I think on a synth with that much complexity, not having it would make it a bit of a sh!tshow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any of you has the Iridium and the mighty XT ? With all the issues reported in here I'm a bit worried and I'm wondering if I should go with an XT from pro store. Thanks for the inputs
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Greetings all.

Just wanted to thank everyone for this informative thread. Sometimes scary but other times reassuring. I have received my Iridium less than a week ago without any major issues, screen attached, light gap unnoticeable and in perfect mint condition.

My only problem really is the computer usb port causing noise issues but not the usb controller port.
I am waiting for a little usb isolator chip to see if it fixes the problem.

Special thanks to KMN04 for his videos while waiting 8 weeks to receive the unit.

Here is a little demo I did. Enjoy

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
You can bypass the analog filters, right? Do that for a week, like people put synths in closets. See if after a week or two you still love it, if so, set it free and get the Iridium. Easy.
Nah, since posting that I spent an entire week playing nothing but the Quantum. It’s dead to me man. Dead. Dead I tell thee. DEAD!

They’ll be no Iridium replacement. Going to stick with Alchemy for those duties.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Hey, KMN04! Your pieces always make me think I'm watching the beginning of some sick sci-fi movie. I think you've single-handedly convinced me not to sell my Quantum and get back to recording my library of field-samples with the gear below, which I specifically bought for use with my then-new Quantum. Thank you for enriching the forum with your creative and inventive pieces which really highlight the instrument's potential. Bravo!
Thanks for the compliment. Why were you contemplating selling the Quantum?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaffin Music View Post
Nah, since posting that I spent an entire week playing nothing but the Quantum. It’s dead to me man. Dead. Dead I tell thee. DEAD!

They’ll be no Iridium replacement. Going to stick with Alchemy for those duties.
Yeah, I hear you. I was somewhat thinking that the Iridum might be hiding some ghost of the old Wave... but no. I can’t put my finger on it, but to me it sounds too good, if that makes sense. Like the idea of heaven where everything is perfect and nice and in 5 minutes you’re wishing for a bit of fire and brimstone. I like my hardware synths to be a little filthy demon that’s going to get me to sell my soul. Is that so wrong?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Yeah, I hear you. I was somewhat thinking that the Iridum might be hiding some ghost of the old Wave... but no. I can’t put my finger on it, but to me it sounds too good, if that makes sense. Like the idea of heaven where everything is perfect and nice and in 5 minutes you’re wishing for a bit of fire and brimstone. I like my hardware synths to be a little filthy demon that’s going to get me to sell my soul. Is that so wrong?
This is why everytime I want to click on the order button for the Iridium, I hesitate because of old one such as the XT even the Iridium offers way more !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo_P View Post
This is why everytime I want to click on the order button for the Iridium, I hesitate because of old one such as the XT even the Iridium offers way more !
Sometimes it makes sense to go for a particular sound over options.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wald View Post
Sometimes it makes sense to go for a particular sound over options.
That describes exactly why I love my OB6. I like the Iridium demos I've heard but it almost seems to be a jack of all trades yet master of none..... and I'll have to hear one in person before I spend that $ on it. We've go sooooo many great options today and $2500 buys a lot of synths in 2020.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMN04 View Post
Thanks for the compliment. Why were you contemplating selling the Quantum?
It's mostly due to me not investing the time to import my own samples and really dive deep into my own patch-creation. My initial attempts at importing my own samples and manipulating them, resulted only in samey-samey cacaphonic drones—you really have to curate the "right" kinds of samples for this to pay off.

Few if any of the factory patches seem to include any real-world samples (e.g., like your "bubbles" clip). Your demos do, and are models for what my original sound design goals were with the synth. Finding that artful combination of real-world samples, mixed with the synth's other engines, is a bit more challenging than I had originally thought. But, when done well, it really impresses and is the principle reason I bought the synth in the first place.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
What synth do you guys think would complete the Iridium at this point ? an OB-6? KYRA ? Novation SUMMIT ? HYDRASYNTH ?

I am kind of looking around for an analog synth to complement my Iridium. I always end up with the OB6 in my sight.

Hydra for the MPE?
Summit to route Iridium into analog filters?

Kyra seems kind of very interesting although VA. OB-6 seems like a logical choice. Prophet REV2 or Prophet X seems extremely interesting as well.

What do you guys think?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Kyra is a great pairing ... less complexity in each part... but huge layering of sounds instead with 8 parts and 128 voices to call upon
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
Kyra is a great pairing ... less complexity in each part... but huge layering of sounds instead with 8 parts and 128 voices to call upon
Yeah and considering the Arturia OB-XA V is out i'll save myself some bacon.
Perhaps wait for the Behringer clone.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydalesis View Post
What synth do you guys think would complete the Iridium at this point ? an OB-6? KYRA ? SUMMIT ? HYDRA ?

I am kinda looking around for an analog synth to complement my Iridium. I always end up with the OB6 in my sight.

Hydra for the mpe?

Kyra seems kind of very interesting altough VA. OB-6 seems like a logical choice. Prophet REV2 or X seems extremely interesting as well.

What do you guys think?
Since you don't seem to be set on analogue a second hand Virus TI might be the ticket?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Studios View Post
Since you don't seem to be set on analogue a second hand Virus TI might be the ticket?
At this point I would go with a more modern Kyra and give my Iridium a girlfriend
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are there any cool stereo / panning things possible on Iridium?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
Some nice sounds recently posted on Waldorf's channel.

Very nice.

Was that Grace Jones - Slave To The Rhythm at the end?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Dairy View Post
Are there any cool stereo / panning things possible on Iridium?
sure - oscillators can be panned, kernels (which are like oscillators within oscillators) can be panned/spread - the main oscillators can be routed independently into the dual filters and/or digital former (all stereo), and all three can be panned, or the oscillators can be routed to the VCA direct. The panning is all modulatable.

and the 2 layers can be used to do that stuff twice for even more stereo goodness.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What synth do you guys think would complete the Iridium at this point ? an OB-6? KYRA ? Novation SUMMIT ? HYDRASYNTH ?

I am kind of looking around for an analog synth to complement my Iridium. I always end up with the OB6 in my sight.

Hydra for the MPE?

Kyra seems kind of very interesting although VA. OB-6 seems like a logical choice. Prophet REV2 or Prophet X seems extremely interesting as well.

What do you guys think?
I came from the other end - owning a Summit myself. I asked do I want more a Kyra (I fell in love the first demo of Welcome Strings I heard) and then the Iridium got released.

Now after looking at both closely I actually tend to go for the Iridium, because Kyra sits in pretty much the same spot like the Summit .. PADs are its strength.

You are going in the other way around and I would say, both are pretty damn good compliments. However Summit comes with a Keyboard (if that is of importance) and has a lot of analog parts in it which as you say can be used if you want to. Also the Effects (esp. the Reverb) is fantastic in the summit and can be used as well.

So for me it is the Summit for the more analog part (yes I know not analog really), and the Iridium for the opposit sound design requirements so the digital world.

Owning a Blofeld as well I would say that these two (Summit and Blo) would replace the Kyra.

There is just one thing I will miss.. that the two others cannot give you:
128 voices in 8 layers .. So that is giving you the PAD Monster you may want ... and that is what it excels in. Also if you are looking at the harsher side of VA - that is also Kyra. Summit is not that good at this particular thing. The OSC allways sound filtered even with filter fully open. (Wavetable is not really a strength in the Summit).
Old 3 weeks ago
Oop
Gear Addict

Quote:
My only problem really is the computer usb port causing noise issues but not the usb controller port.
I am waiting for a little usb isolator chip to see if it fixes the problem.
What kind of USB port noise issue are you facing? I have this problem if I hook up the Iridium to my USB Hub. If I connect it directly, the noise drops significantly. But, yeah with anything connected to the port, there's some random erratic noise in the signal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop View Post
What kind of USB port noise issue are you facing? I have this problem if I hook up the Iridium to my USB Hub. If I connect it directly, the noise drops significantly. But, yeah with anything connected to the port, there's some random erratic noise in the signal.
Typical ground loops. Got a Furman , tried to put everything in an outlet but still the same. Trying a few things before going 1x1 DIN usb.

Will try this : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then this :
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and finally this :
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanna try the Isolator , the Ferrite cable and a usb-c hub to see if I can solve this , If all fails, I will simply get a 1x1 USB DIN interface or something.
📝 Reply