The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Iridium
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Anyone here also own a Kyra?

I made some nice wood endcaps for my Iridium to replace the plastic ones, two pairs of cherry and one of yellow birch, and am thinking of selling some. It looks like the Kyra already has wood panes, but it'd still be interesting to replace them. It looks the same as the Iridium, but I can't tell.

I'll post some pics here when I finish them.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by court131 View Post
Is it worth the price difference? Iv'e been looking at the Quantum and been wanting feedback on how it is for the price. Especially compared to Omnisphere.
I'm a big fan of Omnisphere, and wanted to point out a few things.

First is that if you get the main Spectrasonics suite of Omnisphere, Keyscape, and Trilian it's $1200.
All 3 packages are great, but it's premier pricing, and adds up quick if you want everything. If you don't need/want realistic pianos and basses, you can just use Omnisphere on it's own.

In Omnisphere there are so many great patches that you get lost just picking and rating them. I see this as a great thing, and it's very inspirational.
I don't think anyone has heard all the 16K+ patches, and they are actually intelligently organized.

While the FM is fairly straight forward, it's coupled with things like harmonia (multiple offset voices), and can be applied to any wave shape, plus you can use wavetables and animate them within FM.

Granular is the same way, as it's straight forward to use, but when integrated with everything else in Omnisphere's arsenal it's very powerful.
For example you can have 4 layers of granular in a single part, with 8 parts per Omnisphere instance (if your CPU can handle it).

I've owned many VSTs, and now I use Omnisphere for pretty much everything. Not because I'm forcing myself to, but because I just prefer it. It sounds better, and I esp love the effects and effects routing.

So if I'm such an Omnishpere fan, why did I pre-order an Iridium?
Because having purpose built music hardware that works outside of a DAW is very attractive to me. I don't have to think about CPU usage or limits, it's just does what it does.

So basically I'm a gearslut.
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

If you love Omnisphere, Iridium is just getting a mutual love back it’s magnitude more with physical control, while the “Things” are very same.

I enjoy Omni too, now on its own. I was hoping it’ll be much more tangible when I use my Moog Subsequent 37CV as an overpriced controller to Omni. Not much, so I play it as every other VST mouse and some assignment to controller in hands.

One thing though Iridium is not in list of Omni, maybe later. And Rolf said no VST for Iridium. Caring of us “playing outside of the box”. I can’t agree with that, I want to play inside the box, outside and the rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoC View Post
I'm a big fan of Omnisphere, and wanted to point out a few things.

First is that if you get the main Spectrasonics suite of Omnisphere, Keyscape, and Trilian it's $1200.
All 3 packages are great, but it's premier pricing, and adds up quick if you want everything. If you don't need/want realistic pianos and basses, you can just use Omnisphere on it's own.

In Omnisphere there are so many great patches that you get lost just picking and rating them. I see this as a great thing, and it's very inspirational.
I don't think anyone has heard all the 16K+ patches, and they are actually intelligently organized.

While the FM is fairly straight forward, it's coupled with things like harmonia (multiple offset voices), and can be applied to any wave shape, plus you can use wavetables and animate them within FM.

Granular is the same way, as it's straight forward to use, but when integrated with everything else in Omnisphere's arsenal it's very powerful.
For example you can have 4 layers of granular in a single part, with 8 parts per Omnisphere instance (if your CPU can handle it).

I've owned many VSTs, and now I use Omnisphere for pretty much everything. Not because I'm forcing myself to, but because I just prefer it. It sounds better, and I esp love the effects and effects routing.

So if I'm such an Omnishpere fan, why did I pre-order an Iridium?
Because having purpose built music hardware that works outside of a DAW is very attractive to me. I don't have to think about CPU usage or limits, it's just does what it does.

So basically I'm a gearslut.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoC View Post
So if I'm such an Omnisphere fan, why did I pre-order an Iridium?

So basically I'm a gearslut
A gearslut would do anything without discrimination, but you seem to have a method to your madness. My question is this: will the Iridium let me do real time tone shaping and modulation in a way you'd never do with Omnisphere's mouse-based sequential access. CC assignments are great with Omnisphere, of course, but Iridium makes a whole lot more available for random access, for playing in real time. I wonder, though, if Iridium will really be fun and practical this way, or is it primarily appealing as a DAW liberator? In other words, aside from being a computer with knobs, is it also a player? I'd sluttily order one just to find out firsthand, but with that price tag, I seem to be waiting for more demos.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Does anyone elses Iridium have a bit of “flex” in the screen at the lower edge.

When I touch mine the display works fine. If I press slightly more firmly at the bottom the display flexes and there is some color warpage on the screen.

There is definitely some physical movement happening. Its like there isn’t enough support beneath the lower half of the display
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipson View Post
A gearslut would do anything without discrimination, but you seem to have a method to your madness. My question is this: will the Iridium let me do real time tone shaping and modulation in a way you'd never do with Omnisphere's mouse-based sequential access. CC assignments are great with Omnisphere, of course, but Iridium makes a whole lot more available for random access, for playing in real time. I wonder, though, if Iridium will really be fun and practical this way, or is it primarily appealing as a DAW liberator? In other words, aside from being a computer with knobs, is it also a player? I'd sluttily order one just to find out firsthand, but with that price tag, I seem to be waiting for more demos.
You can see the front panel knobs in any picture of it - they give access to a big slab of the most useful tone shaping controls, and there are the screen-side encoders which can be used for realtime control over parameters for any specific screen - along with using the touchscreen to draw curves for envelopes, filters, komplex modulator and shape LFO speed/warp etc.

There's also a screen based x-y pad that can be used as mod source for live performance.

We can easily select the envelope pair/LFO to control via the knobs.

Despite the massive number of parameters on offer, they're all close to the surface. It's really quick and easy to move around the whole system - it can be set to jump to the relevant page when you move a related control or not depending on preference.

It's all a far more intuitive approach to realtime sound shaping than using a VST imo - even one as good as omni.

Plus you can still midi cc map most controls for use with an external controller if you want.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Does anyone elses Iridium have a bit of “flex” in the screen at the lower edge.

When I touch mine the display works fine. If I press slightly more firmly at the bottom the display flexes and there is some color warpage on the screen.

There is definitely some physical movement happening. Its like there isn’t enough support beneath the lower half of the display
See there's another thing: numerous reports of small hardware foulups so that importing a $2500 device is scary due to having to export for servicing. For example, Tim Shoebridge's video has some difficulties with the touchscreen's response. OK, it's not an iPad, but neither do I want it to move around. One thing that's totally scared me off the Quantum is this issue about air bubbles under the screen. I saw one for sale as new at Reverb where the seller says yes, it's got the air bubble issue that many people report as if you just have to accept it. I can't risk importing a $4500 20kg device that might need to be exported for servicing too often. From my location, even one time would be a nightmare. The Iridium is more of a possibility for me.

@ Paul_xyz : yes, it looks truly inviting to sit it on your lap and have a wiggle as an all-in-one instrument (among the other things it can be). But does it actually have a good playing feel that way, or would this just be a proof of a concept that you'd rarely actually bother with? In other words, does the thing (eventually) respond in fun and interesting ways to things your muscles can remember to develop a muscle memory that works musically for you? If you have to analyze and calculate and swipe numerous times through very long menus and enter precise values, etc., then that sort of thing takes you out of your musical frame of mind. So aside from sound design mode, does it offer a full enough set of playability features? No doubt, it eventually reaches a point where you just have to splurge and try it for yourself, but I wish I could see more demos of people taking this kind of approach.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
If you have to analyze and calculate and swipe numerous times through very long menus and enter precise values, etc., then that sort of thing takes you out of your musical frame of mind.
there are no long menus, it's a relatively small number of screens covering the various sections which are easily accessed via knob twist/button press and the information contained easily digested, so it is as much at home with realtime manipulation as it is for predetermined sound design.

there are enough dedicated panel knobs that a lot can be achieved without really using the screen, but even when going into the screens, the screen-side encoders still give a positive experience.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Head

Yes, the screen does look like it has its own performance elements to me. Aside from the videos of sound design and performance from a keyboard--which I don't doubt it does well--I'd love to see a YT video of someone operating it standalone, moving it through designs of sound to get a better sense of how smooth and flexible it is to work it in that mode. That's mostly what I'd want to use it for given I already have Omnisphere for more pointed sound design.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Head
Am I correct that neither the arp or the sequencer have any facility for triplets?
Old 17th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Well, after a week in the woodshop, I've made some nice wooden ends for my Iridium to replace the bland plasticky ones, I have a nice pair made of yellow birch, and if there's interest, I will be making more in cherry, birch, maple, and ash, so if anyone's interested, PM me for details and picture. CONUS only.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head

I mean performances like this.
Old 19th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
I wonder, though, if Iridium will really be fun and practical this way, or is it primarily appealing as a DAW liberator? In other words, aside from being a computer with knobs, is it also a player? I'd sluttily order one just to find out firsthand, but with that price tag, I seem to be waiting for more demos.

"is it also a player?" waited for mine for 2 months to answer exactly this. The answer is no (for me). No complains whatsoever on sound design possibilities (top!), visual feedback and overall handy experience. "The module" is an issue for me. I am certain now engine should be an integral part with keyboard, mod wheels, joysticks, touchies, morphees, etc (the Iridium pads no velocity is no issue in fact, they have their use and extra, so it is a plus). If it Iridium came in Quantum body (with all stereosness, etc Ir advanced from Q by now) I would likely kept it. It has lots of direct knobs, but always felt need more. Still need to poke screen often enough, so having it right above the keys in a middle like in Q would do. More dedicated knobs around is the best for abundance features Iridium has to offer. I understand $2.5K vs $4.3k difference to Quantum now.

The struggle of placement was real. I put it above, behind, in front, under, on a side, on vesa mount. No use. Only practical was this super ugly kamasutra mode with Moog. And to play Moog still need to put it aside or far behind. With amount of wires (and I have 37CV edition, so more CV wires both ways) it's not practical. The picture you see was the only comfy setup, and it is a crime against synths, I'm ashamed to share it

Of course not an issue for people who have dozen of modules around and a rack for boards. Not my thing, I just want one mono, one poly and one groovebox. Especially for poly at least 5 octaves is needed. Moog 37CV was not enough. I was thinking to get next Arturia Keylab for Iridium. Though it would go high enough, still need a good tilt, so will always be a big blob in a center of everything. I thought, know what, PolyBrute is the midi controller with "player" in mind, but with a bonus analogue poly. No brainer swap for me.

Stopped playing it last Monday, packing fat lady and return to nearest GC. She was very good and amazing instrument otherwise!!! What was I thinking?!?! (I though its lil smaller, but was blind looking at measuring tape. Fat lady is for a man can handle her My apologies taking a spot from someone who still waiting in line and could be happier with an instrument. Just wanted to share my experience. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/samprock/sets...lion-thank-you
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Iridium-waldorf-iridium.jpg  
Old 20th September 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordradish View Post
Well, after a week in the woodshop, I've made some nice wooden ends for my Iridium to replace the bland plasticky ones, I have a nice pair made of yellow birch, and if there's interest, I will be making more in cherry, birch, maple, and ash, so if anyone's interested, PM me for details and picture. CONUS only.
Just post pictures in the thread.
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Maniac

See attached
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Iridium-image_4.jpg  
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Well Late to the party, just pre-ordered an iridium today, no idea what batch i will be in or when I might get it but hoping I made it in to the next shipping batch.
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by samprock View Post
If it Iridium came in Quantum body (with all stereosness, etc Ir advanced from Q by now) I would likely kept it.
Why not just get a Quantum then?
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:

The struggle of placement was real. I put it above, behind, in front, under, on a side, on vesa mount. No use. Only practical was this super ugly kamasutra mode with Moog. And to play Moog still need to put it aside or far behind. With amount of wires (and I have 37CV edition, so more CV wires both ways) it's not practical. The picture you see was the only comfy setup, and it is a crime against synths, I'm ashamed to share it

I am curious looking at your picture, what is the issue with putting it next to your keyboard. I'm planning to put mine next to my OB6 on a desk and not understanding why this would be an issue. I also have some Neo-Flex Monitor arms I could use to vesa mount it anywhere at an angle if needed.
Old 20th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
"is it also a player?" waited for mine for 2 months to answer exactly this. The answer is no (for me). No complains whatsoever on sound design possibilities (top!), visual feedback and overall handy experience. "The module" is an issue for me. I am certain now engine should be an integral part with keyboard, mod wheels, joysticks, touchies, morphees, etc (the Iridium pads no velocity is no issue in fact, they have their use and extra, so it is a plus). If it Iridium came in Quantum body (with all stereosness, etc Ir advanced from Q by now) I would likely kept it. It has lots of direct knobs, but always felt need more. Still need to poke screen often enough, so having it right above the keys in a middle like in Q would do. More dedicated knobs around is the best for abundance features Iridium has to offer. I understand $2.5K vs $4.3k difference to Quantum now.

Of course not an issue for people who have dozen of modules around and a rack for boards. Not my thing, I just want one mono, one poly and one groovebox. Especially for poly at least 5 octaves is needed. Moog 37CV was not enough. I was thinking to get next Arturia Keylab for Iridium. Though it would go high enough, still need a good tilt, so will always be a big blob in a center of everything. I thought, know what, PolyBrute is the midi controller with "player" in mind, but with a bonus analogue poly. No brainer swap for me.

Stopped playing it last Monday, packing fat lady and return to nearest GC. She was very good and amazing instrument otherwise!!! What was I thinking?!?! (I though its lil smaller, but was blind looking at measuring tape. Fat lady is for a man can handle her My apologies taking a spot from someone who still waiting in line and could be happier with an instrument. Just wanted to share my experience. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/samprock/sets...lion-thank-you
Not a criticism, but I am somewhat surprised that you got caught so off guard by so many things. I already had my mounting/placement plan in place weeks before it even came here. I absolutely am blown away by this synth and would never even consider getting rid of it, especially over things that you do have control over.
Old 21st September 2020
Deleted 93fe8ef
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMN04 View Post
There's a link to a downloadable patch in the description for this video, there's also a few more where the link takes you to though perhaps not as interesting.

P.S. new patch created yesterday, in a Wim Daans style

and tweety birds from a few days earlier
Your Youtube videos disappeared.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Maniac

Still somewhat of a noob to sound design. Always been more of a preset guy, but the Iridium has been really great in getting me to understand sound design better. I have a question. I am making a new patch. Osc 1 has a pad on it that I want to sustain as long as I'm holding down a key. That works. Osc2 is a simple sine bass note. But I want that to just play once when I trigger it. But given I have to hold down the key for the pad to sustain, the bass note also sustains. I thought I'd be able to do that in the envelope, but I can't seem to do that. What am I doing wrong, here? Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Still somewhat of a noob to sound design. Always been more of a preset guy, but the Iridium has been really great in getting me to understand sound design better. I have a question. I am making a new patch. Osc 1 has a pad on it that I want to sustain as long as I'm holding down a key. That works. Osc2 is a simple sine bass note. But I want that to just play once when I trigger it. But given I have to hold down the key for the pad to sustain, the bass note also sustains. I thought I'd be able to do that in the envelope, but I can't seem to do that. What am I doing wrong, here? Thanks.
Try dropping the mix amount of the 2nd osc to 0/ using free envelope 1 (or whatever) to modulate that amount up from 0.
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear
If you're using mix levels to shape oscillators individually bear in mind the main amp envelope shapes the summed output, so likely best to have sustain set to full and release at least as long as the longest release you're using for the envelopes shaping individual mix levels. That way the individual oscillator envelopes sit within the extremities of the main amp envelope.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Maniac

I thought about doing the mix thing... is that the best way? For some reason I thought there was some basic element of synthesis that I was missing here.
Thanks for the input.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvilms View Post
Try dropping the mix amount of the 2nd osc to 0/ using free envelope 1 (or whatever) to modulate that amount up from 0.
So does that mean set the Osc2 mix to zero to start with, then set the envelope the way I like it?
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
So does that mean set the Osc2 mix to zero to start with, then set the envelope the way I like it?
yes - osc mix to zero, then use the mod matrix to modulate the osc mix value with an envelope of your choosing eg free1.

If I'm doing it this way then I'll shape each oscillator's mix with its own envelope, and then just ensure the main amp envelope doesn't get in the way by having full sustain and a longer release than any of the mix envelopes use.

The nice thing is that if you set the filter routing to parallel, you can also individually route each oscillator's output to dual filters/digital former/VCA eg you could have osc 1 going to dual filters then VCA, osc 2 going to digital former then VCA and osc 3 going straight to VCA.

That gives further ability to treat oscillators like self-contained synth voices.
Old 22nd September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
yes - osc mix to zero, then use the mod matrix to modulate the osc mix value with an envelope of your choosing eg free1.

If I'm doing it this way then I'll shape each oscillator's mix with its own envelope, and then just ensure the main amp envelope doesn't get in the way by having full sustain and a longer release than any of the mix envelopes use.

The nice thing is that if you set the filter routing to parallel, you can also individually route each oscillator's output to dual filters/digital former/VCA eg you could have osc 1 going to dual filters then VCA, osc 2 going to digital former then VCA and osc 3 going straight to VCA.

That gives further ability to treat oscillators like self-contained synth voices.
Thank you, very much!
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear

@ lordradish , in addition to above, also remember you can work with the two layers to create up to 6 independent oscillator/envelope settings as sources/destinations.
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear
Another interesting thing that can be done with this approach is to use the sequencer parameter lanes as "controllers" for the envelope-to-mix mod matrix slots.

Normally the sequencer is monophonic, but using the seqparam lanes you can control each individual oscillator's mix level envelope per step - allowing chords to be programmed if each oscillator is a different pitch.

Just set the envelope amount to 0 and seqparam controller amount to +100% for each oscillator slot in the matrix.

Now in the sequencer, the seqparam lanes control the amount of envelope going to the oscillator mix level each step, with 0 being silent and 100% being full.

We can also use additional seqparam lanes to control the pitch offset of each oscillator.

It doesn't have to be used for chords, the oscillators could each have a different drum sound synthesized and triggered this way.
Old 22nd September 2020
Lives for gear

Some nice sounds recently posted on Waldorf's channel.

📝 Reply