The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Iridium
Old 25th July 2020
Lives for gear

Here is the next and last in the series of videos for the Waldorf Iridium. This video is part 9. A deeper dive into the Iridium's Pros and Cons.

Old 25th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
Here is the next and last in the series of videos for the Waldorf Iridium. This video is part 9. A deeper dive into the Iridium's Pros and Cons.

Thank you for taking the time to make another video on the Iridium.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
I just called and they said they were expecting a shipment to arrive on August 2nd, hopefully shipping the 3rd.

I may just grip the Quantum if I have to keep waiting. I was originally saving up for one before the Iridium dropped. I do like its form factor because space is an issue but I also prefer having built in keys.
Jeez, I don't know what to believe, now. I wonder if there's two shipments. I checked this morning and it went from 'processing' back to 'backordered'.

As long as I get it in the next month, I'll be happy, I have a new drum machine and a Wavestate to learn, in the meantime.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO1982 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to make another video on the Iridium.
Thanks for watching. I might make some more sound oriented videos later on (read that as less me, more Iridium) after I complete another project I have on deck.
Old 27th July 2020 | Show parent
Oop
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Does anyone else have problems with their OSC 1 Semitone/Octave knob?

With mine, I can turn the knob and increment in semitones, but pushing it down to jump octaves doesn't work. Osc 2 & 3 work fine.

Wondering if this is a software bug or some hardware defect.
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear
pushing osc 1 semitones changes it to octaves on the unit I have here
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop View Post
With mine, I can turn the knob and increment in semitones, but pushing it down to jump octaves doesn't work. Osc 2 & 3 work fine.
Just to be sure. Pushing the button switches between semi and octave. Turning the knob scrolls through octaves or semitones.
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Addict

Just got an update from Musicians Friend in the US. Thursday, they told me shipped today... today they say possibly Aug 22...

Does anyone know why these delays are happening? Did they stop production to fix something? Anyone with a connection at Waldorf that would know? I mean, it is what it is, but this is a bit frustrating.
Deleted 93fe8ef
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordradish View Post
So, I just checked with Musician's Friend, they told me it should be shipping Monday, not August, not October. Wonder why there's so much conflicting info, out there.
And is your Iridium shipped today as promised?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 93fe8ef View Post
And is your Iridium shipped today as promised?
Nope, as I mentioned above, now it's late August.
Deleted 93fe8ef
Quote:
Count on it that that date will be delayed too, they are afraid that people will cancel their orders. Just a commercial trick. My information is end september/october.
Gear Addict
Quote:
when I called them last they said August 2nd. fingers crossed.
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

This is a new video series I'm calling "Pairings". The idea is to pair up different gear in unexpected ways for fun sounds. Episode 1 features the Boss SY-1000, Waldorf Iridium, and Morningstar MC8.

Old 28th July 2020 | Show parent
Oop
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
pushing osc 1 semitones changes it to octaves on the unit I have here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertZ View Post
Just to be sure. Pushing the button switches between semi and octave. Turning the knob scrolls through octaves or semitones.
I wasn't aware of locking the mode by just pushing once. I thought it was a push and hold function.

Anyways, it's still not working for OSC 1 It still increases/decreases only by a semitone.

It works fine with OSC 2 & 3.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
when I called them last they said August 2nd. fingers crossed.
Might wanna call again, as it's changed 3 times in the last week.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I wasn't aware of locking the mode by just pushing once. I thought it was a push and hold function.

Anyways, it's still not working for OSC 1 It still increases/decreases only by a semitone.

It works fine with OSC 2 & 3.
so if you go osc1 > control > press and release the dedicated osc 1 semitones knob (not the soft-encoder next to the screen) - does the parameter label for the top left screen encoder change from "semitones" to "octaves"?
Oop
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz View Post
so if you go osc1 > control > press and release the dedicated osc 1 semitones knob (not the soft-encoder next to the screen) - does the parameter label for the top left screen encoder change from "semitones" to "octaves"?
Nope, it doesn't change to 'Octaves' for OSC 1. I'm guessing it's a hardware defect.

I guess I'll have to get in touch with Waldorf.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Have you tried restarting? I had this happen once but the problem disappeared after power cycling.
Old 29th July 2020 | Show parent
Oop
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboree View Post
Have you tried restarting? I had this happen once but the problem disappeared after power cycling.
Yep, I've gone through multiple power cycles and this has never worked unfortunately.
Old 30th July 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Yep, I've gone through multiple power cycles and this has never worked unfortunately.
Can you reflash the latest firmware?
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Still waiting for my Iridium!

But... I already have my printed Manual!

Better than nothing, isn’t it?
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Iridium-caae4c8a-3fb0-4b4a-8465-02a5c517a524.jpg  
Old 30th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Ambient Soundscapes with Waldorf Iridium

Old 30th July 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lovely demo.
Old 31st July 2020
Gear Nut

Its easy to get lost in the Iridium's particle and kernel oscillators, but you can still have fun with just its standard waveforms, this is a a patch with couple of square waves and pink noise.

Old 31st July 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lovely what’s going on with the patch I’d love to re-create it?
Old 31st July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Lovely what’s going on with the patch I’d love to re-create it?
I can send it you if you like, I've not tried exporting patches to usb but should be straightforward can I could try it later.
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know why (and not that there's something wrong or bad with the sounds coming out of the iridium) but so far there have been many demos from different users and for some reason, this supersynth capable of almost every synthesizer technique known to man seems to lend it self mainly to drones, long evolving pads or ambient textures, although i bet it can do almost everything.
What i mostly hear and see are presets that involve pressing a key and holding it for two minutes.
I'm sure it is capable of basses, leads, plucks, arps, hybrid sounds that combine samples and wavetables (such as a "new piano" for example) or whatnot.
Is this because of the synth? Does it simply lend itself to these kind of sounds? Or is it the person programming the synth? Why most of the demos sound like this?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
I don't know why (and not that there's something wrong or bad with the sounds coming out of the iridium) but so far there have been many demos from different users and for some reason, this supersynth capable of almost every synthesizer technique known to man seems to lend it self mainly to drones, long evolving pads or ambient textures, although i bet it can do almost everything.
What i mostly hear and see are presets that involve pressing a key and holding it for two minutes.
I'm sure it is capable of basses, leads, plucks, arps, hybrid sounds that combine samples and wavetables (such as a "new piano" for example) or whatnot.
Is this because of the synth? Does it simply lend itself to these kind of sounds? Or is it the person programming the synth? Why most of the demos sound like this?
I think because that’s where it sounds extra unique. You could do anything on this including deep keygroup, emulating analog, wavetable, etc.
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think it can do all sorts of things. Here's something from R Beny which isn't a drone https://www.instagram.com/p/CCXiFC-hT98/. With the resonators in particular its good for plucks. Looking around for some Quantum examples on YouTube would turn up some stuff which isn't a drone or ambient texture.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have posted many many examples of things other than drones, pads, and ambiences (and a few of those too). Heck there's even some country guitar licks in there too if you look. It can do bass, leads, arps, plucky stuff and anything you want.
📝 Reply