The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Iridium
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
Doesn’t need multi-timbral functions to have MPE. Hydrasynth is an example.

MIDI Polyphonic Expression = MPE
True, and yet still I'm doubtful in this case. May be Quantum entanglement feeding my doubts...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
1960 euro was read on the hp

Its actually same MAP price and exact footprint as Kyra
Dimensions (W x D x H): 440 x 305 x 85 mm
Weight: 5.7 kg
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
Its actually same MAP price and exact footprint as Kyra
Dimensions (W x D x H): 440 x 305 x 85 mm
Weight: 5.7 kg
ok, with us the kyra is over 2k, now @ thomann 2.079 €
that with the same housing makes sense, saves costs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This could be the best looking synth ever made. It is stunning.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm still startled at the "No analog filters" comments

I'm glad it hasn't got analog filters,

Looks a lovely synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I would love to see the Kyra get repacked into this housing, given the large screen and all. Still in white ofc
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Shame it's only bitimbral. We need more multitimbral monsters.
It's 16 part multitimbral if you buy eight.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the question remains, what is hybrid about this hybrid synthesizer?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

This looks brilliant to me ... the Quantum is the only synth that has had me wondering if I could possibly find room for a keyboard (knowing that the answer is clearly No) ... but destop version is just what I hoped for ... and expensive but not impossibly... just don't know how!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Best of Fairlight Series I, II, IIX disk collection for Waldorf Quantum/Iridium.

This is an early version of the collection im working on --please note the presets are only a demo of the disk contents -to use make another blank preset and load your sample or samples into new preset.(Each sample root note is A3 when played back at 14080 Hz)
These are from the Fairlight Sound Database - Carl Jakobssons wonderful site. Thank you Carl
http://www.nattvard.com/iix/utilities.php
I have made presets from what I think are the best disks from the collection, as these are 8 bit wav your Quantum memory wont be impacted a lot. These are not samples from the output of the instrument, these are the binaries on the 8"disk's that came with the machine converted to Quantum format, they retain the original character.
Each preset contains contents of the entire disk.
https://mega.nz/file/gpozjC6Y#2ZsuuK...mzIdHCZwc_gWAk

History of the 2X and famous samples
http://www.fortheloveofthefairlight.com/tag/series-iix/
https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.co...ents-fairlight

Famous Samples for Quantum/Iridium: The story of ORCH5!
Perhaps the first digital sample to become well known within popular music was actually a piece of Western art music, the fragment of Stravinsky's Firebird captured within the Fairlight Computer Musical Instrument, the first digital 'sampler', as 'ORCH5'. This loud orchestral attack was made famous by Bronx DJ Afrika Bambaataa, who incorporated the sound into his seminal 1982 dance track, 'Planet Rock'. Analysis of Kraftwerk's 'Trans Europe Express', also sampled for 'Planet Rock', provides an interpretive context for Bambaataa's use of ORCH5, as well as the hundreds of songs that deliberately sought to copy its sound. Kraftwerk's concerns about the decadence of European culture and art music were not fully shared by users of ORCH5 in New York City; its sound first became part of an ongoing Afro-futurist musical project, and by 1985 was fully naturalised within the hip-hop world, no more 'classical' than the sound of scratching vinyl. To trace the early popular history of ORCH5's distinctive effect, so crucial for early hip-hop, electro, and Detroit techno, is to begin to tell the post-canonic story of Western art music." Its included in STRINGS4 folder. taken directly from a disc image file so it’s an 8 bit audio file.

Last edited by d2ba; 4 weeks ago at 04:36 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Brian Eno; Aphex Twin DX collection for Waldorf Quantum/Iridium.

DX7 sysex files import into Quantum/Iridium and will create presets for you with the preset names and almost all of the settings perfectly. Its a game changer the Quantum is now the machine I always thought it could be. The real power comes when you mangle these presets with the rest of the Quantum objects (try bit crusher) ---This is a portal to a whole new Quantum/Iridium universe!
Quantum doesn't recreate DX7 pitch envelopes or multiple-operator feedback chains but give these a try, I think they came out great.
User 18081971 (Aphex Twin) posted on Soundcloud a collection of DX9 presets.The audio file is patch data from a Yamaha DX9. It contained 20 voices, the maximum amount of voices in one bank in a DX9, and it was in the cassette tape format.
������
Here are the ENO ones from Keyboard Magazine and the best of the User18081971 DX9 sounds I have made into presets.
(138 Quantum Presets)
https://mega.nz/file/cggAxAwY#ax83R1...Cr5-ACsVjpRWME
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Iridium-brian-eno-610x710.jpg  

Last edited by d2ba; 4 weeks ago at 04:23 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If it really has those many CV ins, I'll really need this!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
ideally, i was hoping they would do an abridged key version. 37 note keybed would be impossible to turn down
I know, right! Being all digital, I hope it sounds better than the Quantum. 37 key could be revealed on Friday... idk..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
I know, right! Being all digital, I hope it sounds better than the Quantum. 37 key could be revealed on Friday... idk..
Use Filter Domain = Digital in v2 Quantum (Analog Filter section , upper right corner) , and you will have a Digital Path/ Filters in Stereo.

So probably with that option they sound exactly similar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ooh, very nice!

The fact that patches are interchangeable between Iridium and Quantum suggest identical flow and design.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
This could be the best looking synth ever made. It is stunning.
This is what I also just thought.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
im sorry, but what is MPE?
It's one of the latest synths deceases, nasty if you catch it. It can get very expensive.....

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
This Iridium is going to be added to my Quantum as well :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

What's "hybrid" about it? Does hybrid only refer to analogue + digital. This appears to be waveshapes, wavetable and granular as sources, potentially all 3 in one voice? That makes it a hybrid of digital synth designs since a great many only do one or two of those.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Iridium + Osmose could be cool.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Even if it doesn’t have analog filters, it may still be interesting to me as a real time granular effect and a sort of hardware Omnisphere. Omnisphere is great, but it can be a CPU hog.
Bah! Granular, regular sampling, FM like you’ve never seen, wavetable far deeper than any other present wavetable synth out there (save Quantum), VA, physical modeling with Resonator, endless modulation, including the digital former which is just crazy, or subtle, or everything in between...... plus a really wide range of filter configurations.... you want this. Don’t fool yourself!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It uses a mix of different synth techniques that can be chosen per oscillator. So basically it’s every kind of synthesis out there, with your choice of how you want to put them together.

As @ Don Solaris has proven, the VA alone is a very capable synthesizer. Use all the other synthesis techniques alongside that and you can sound design in amazing depth and variety.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

MPC style pads on synths is the the new fad, first Hydra now this..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
What's "hybrid" about it? Does hybrid only refer to analogue + digital. This appears to be waveshapes, wavetable and granular as sources, potentially all 3 in one voice? That makes it a hybrid of digital synth designs since a great many only do one or two of those.
I don't read anything 'Hybrid' about the Iridium.

Some close up pictures of the filter section Iridium vs Quantum
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Iridium-screen-shot-2020-06-11-00.05.07.png   Waldorf Iridium-screen-shot-2020-06-11-00.06.41.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
just read a comment by synthanatomy on amazona.de that there might be more info on friday - some press outlets were shown a unit already, so no renders...

https://www.amazona.de/waldorf-iridi...m-als-desktop/
"Das sind noch ein Paar Fehler drin bezüglich Features."

Now I have to know what the two mistakes are.

Can we start a pool?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
It uses a mix of different synth techniques that can be chosen per oscillator. So basically it’s every kind of synthesis out there, with your choice of how you want to put them together.

As @ Don Solaris has proven, the VA alone is a very capable synthesizer. Use all the other synthesis techniques alongside that and you can sound design in amazing depth and variety.
It’s a shifting term. In plugin land it means what Realtrance stated above, but I’ve mostly seen it use to describe synths that have digital sound generating technology going though VCAs and VCFs. Personally, I would have called it a multi-engine digital synth. I’m sure there’s a German word that means all of that. Synthesizermehrmotorigerdigitaler.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used to be a stickler for multi-timbrality (a lion’s share of the whining on this forum is probably from just me). But now with things like the USAMO being important in my setup I’m wary of even bi-timbrality for latency/jitter’s sake. Same with the lack of a second pair of audio outputs. I’d never use the bitimbrality except for stacking sounds perhaps.

But this looks fine to me, I’m not against recording one track at a time with the USAMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
Seems to be a Quantum in desktop version and without analog signal path.
It's a logical way to use the Quantum platform.

i am speechless,, its as if Waldorf has been reading my mind and my outmost desires about Quantum concept... and pretty sure shared by many other people here..

since the release of Qu i felt frustrated as its analog filters weren't as spectacular as i hoped them to be, and i wasn't crazy about the D/A/D signal path either. what interested me most was pure digital stuff, specifically granular, resonators and sampling. so i was hoping they do a scaled down digital-only version, without the analog filters and without the bulky keyboard. and MOARR voices.

otoh, my only other option to get hands on performance granular was Tasty Chips. and i was going back n forth on buying it since late 2018. i tried it, and it sounds spectacular doing granular - sonically blows away all my ITB and iOS aps. but is limited in memory, in synthesis arhitecture and no active audio input. and pricey for what it is. so i hoped for an upgraded "GR-2" of sorts with audio input, more memorey and comprehensive digital synthesis engine.

and lo and behold ,,,, Waldorf comes thru - everything is here in one neat package..

ok time to hop over to @ Don Solaris lair, to try his Quantum in person, before i jump the gun and blow cash on this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Bah!
Humbug!

Quote:
Granular
Got it x 10! (Including as a real time effect)

Quote:
regular sampling
Check!

Quote:
FM like you’ve never seen
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Quote:
wavetable far deeper than any other present wavetable synth out there (save Quantum)
How so?

Quote:
VA
Check!

Quote:
physical modeling with Resonator
Check!

Quote:
endless modulation
Like endless salad at Olive Garden! LIES! They kick you out after your 10th bowl!

Quote:
including the digital former which is just crazy, or subtle, or everything in between...... plus a really wide range of filter configurations....
Check! (What’s digital former?)

Quote:
you want this. Don’t fool yourself!
Check!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Before the page was removed the last thing it said was:
"Iridium has been released and is now available from a dealer near you. Please inquire at our distributor for your country."

Maybe they posted the page a little too early and its not actually available at dealers yet, but hopefully seems like it might be soon.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear