The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Iridium
Old 4 weeks ago
Even if it doesn’t have analog filters, it may still be interesting to me as a real time granular effect and a sort of hardware Omnisphere. Omnisphere is great, but it can be a CPU hog.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Looks great, but I fear some cramp factor, that's a lot of knobs in a small space.
Has a lot less controls than my old concept with full controls, no unified lfo controls etc.. from years ago when I was trying to have them make it. But even that would have been fine with JX-03/Supernova sized controls.. I printed out a test version to compare to my other racks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

looks super cramped as someone has already mentioned. if thats a touch im not sure about the ergonomics of it with the knobs being right in front of it like that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Has a lot less controls than my old concept with full controls, no unified osc controls etc.. from years ago when I was trying to have them make it. But even that would have been fine with JX-03/Supernova sized controls.. I printed out a test version to compare to my other racks
your old concept looks great
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Its basically a Blofeld successor - all digital, desktop. The keyboard and analog filters for the Quantum were not of interest to me. I'm definitely getting one!
Old 4 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Even if it doesn’t have analog filters, it may still be interesting to me as a real time granular effect and a sort of hardware Omnisphere. Omnisphere is great, but it can be a CPU hog.
Exactly my Qu is among many things Omnisphere on steroids.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Shame it's only bitimbral. We need more multitimbral monsters.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, depending on release I found my next synth.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

ideally, i was hoping they would do an abridged key version. 37 note keybed would be impossible to turn down
Old 4 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
It still looks expensive.. I'm guessing around 3 grand.. still way too much for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
It still looks expensive.. I'm guessing around 3 grand.. still way too much for me.
The msrp is 1960 euros
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
Well, depending on release I found my next synth.
Yeah me too... in about 10 years when I can pick one up used! Looks absolutely lovely.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
1960 euro was read on the hp

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyedwards View Post
Yeah me too... in about 10 years when I can pick one up used! Looks absolutely lovely.
I hear you, assuming it’s around the Kyra price, which seems to be right based on MSRP in Euros, I plan to make a preorder as soon as possible. I’ve long wanted a quantum, but never thought I could afford it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You lose the Quantum’s analog VCFs and VCAs and the keyboard but you gain 8 more voices, a timbre, more affordability and a more compact a form factor. Hard to argue with this thing - it’s going to be awesome.

I am a bit surprised by the little pads... I can see the reasoning, but personally I would have preferred no pads and a bit more room between the controls. Unless it turns out they did something innovative with the pads we don’t know about yet, which is quite possible.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
You lose the Quantum’s analog VCFs and VCAs and the keyboard but you gain 8 more voices, a timbre, more affordability and a more compact a form factor. Hard to argue with this thing - it’s going to be awesome.

I am a bit surprised by the little pads... I can see the reasoning, but personally I would have preferred no pads and a bit more room between the controls. Unless it turns out they did something innovative with the pads we don’t know about yet, which is quite possible.
Completely agreed, apessino, I'm really liking this a lot.

The screen really should have been below the knobs...I can foresee a lot of bumped settings getting to the screen. I'm sure most people will tilt it on a stand, but even so, it will affect the usability of the screen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Yesssss.

Quote:
I guess the pads are for the sequencing/techno crowd - which is absolutely fine, but I, too, would have preferred more room for the knobs. I find even the knobs on my Q a bit too crowded for my big fingers.
And btw, I've just invested in some new stuff. So I guess I'll get this one in 5 or 6 years....
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The knobs are too close together. Definitely not what I’d expect for that kind of money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
No, silly. There’s a gate out for what it’s worth, but even with only the inputs you could use this thing as a big eurorack oscillator. Plug the audio-out into your filter of choice -> then into a VCA -> then gate the Iridium and your envelope of choice at the same time.

Granted you need an external VCA and envelope but those are inexpensive. With a VCA like the Tallin you can give your sound some analog overdriven character.

This is a lot more exciting than just sticking an NW1 into your rack.
Agreed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
The msrp is 1960 euros
Wow ok, that's pretty impressive..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Some of the pictures do have an embeded timestamp from August 15. 2019 and they apeare to be photos. Could be that we see them in the wild very soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
is it bi-timbral? and if so, why only one set of stereo outs? that is a dealbreaker in my book.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If this has MPE it'll very difficult to resist
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

16x voices, 6x LFOs, and 6 Envs... but only 1x Gate In?

Bah humbug.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
Same, but only bitimbral makes me doubt...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
im sorry, but what is MPE?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Much more appealing than the Quantum. Going to be very hard to resist.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
Polyphonic MIDI, basically.

MPE
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Same, but only bitimbral makes me doubt...
Doesn’t need multi-timbral functions to have MPE. Hydrasynth is an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
MIDI Polyphonic Expression = MPE
Old 4 weeks ago
just read a comment by synthanatomy on amazona.de that there might be more info on friday - some press outlets were shown a unit already, so no renders...

https://www.amazona.de/waldorf-iridi...m-als-desktop/
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear