The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Iridium
Old 1 week ago
nny
Gear Head
Two Questions 1.) Does it micro-tune, take micro-tunings or scales? This would be an automatic purchase for me personally. 2.) When should it be around in the US? If Rolf is on here... Thx!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can import Scala definitions and set your own steps by cents from root or ratio's ... not done it, but seen the options when using more common settings. .. the manual is a download from Waldorf's site
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
nny
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
You can import Scala definitions and set your own steps by cents from root or ratio's ... not done it, but seen the options when using more common settings. .. the manual is a download from Waldorf's site
the manual surprisingly has nothing on this, thank you so much for your reply though!! the manual is very nice i agree. glad to know scala is supported, at least to some degree.
Lives for gear

Just had a look ... it doesn't talk about microtunings specifically... but the basics are on p164-5
nny
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
Just had a look ... it doesn't talk about microtunings specifically... but the basics are on p164-5
Great!! Thanks for mentioning this
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVR ➡️
Wow MPE support! I was on the fence but will def buy an Iridium now. Unfortunately hard to find one available in Switzerland or Germany at the moment.
Listed at session.de as available.
Gear Head

Interestingly, Iridium audio outputs have different noise levels when master volume is not maxed. Tried to set it up for recording session and used two mono inputs in mixer console calibrating levels afterwards. Left channel (the one closer to power input) produced noise at about 3 dB higher than right channel. But this effect has gone as soon as I set master volume to maximum - now both channels have the same bearable amount of noise.

So if you up for quality studio recording, I suggest you to make sure you have your master volume at maximum. Your mileage may vary, though.
Gear Nut
Something interesting:

With regard to the Free Envelope mod sources, I’m noting a value offset with max delay, 0 attack, 0 decay, 0 sustain, etc.

I’d been under the impression that envelopes were unipolar. I’m not sure why it’s behaving this way. Hmm.

(I’m on Version 2.5.4)
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvilms ➡️
Something interesting:

With regard to the Free Envelope mod sources, I’m noting a value offset with max delay, 0 attack, 0 decay, 0 sustain, etc.

I’d been under the impression that envelopes were unipolar. I’m not sure why it’s behaving this way. Hmm.

(I’m on Version 2.5.4)
I've tried routing free env 1 to pitch, with 0 adsr and 2 sec (max) delay - it's not affecting the pitch at all for me.

3.0 beta 8.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_xyz ➡️
I've tried routing free env 1 to pitch, with 0 adsr and 2 sec (max) delay - it's not affecting the pitch at all for me.

3.0 beta 8.
Hmm, I just tried again and am not getting discrepancies. I’m not sure what was happening, hmm.

Have you (or anyone else) been finding 3.0b8 to be mostly steady?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Yes, I've been very happy with 3.0 beta 8 - the new features are great.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvilms ➡️
Hmm, I just tried again and am not getting discrepancies. I’m not sure what was happening, hmm.

Have you (or anyone else) been finding 3.0b8 to be mostly steady?
I just dove in to it last night, so far, I found one MPE bug, but I'm waiting until I have access to the beta forums before bringing it up.

But overall, pretty good. I hope they expand on the MPE capabilities, with assignable X and relative or absolute Y, and release velocity, as well.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Resonator

Hey y'all,

Got my iridium beginning of the year and it's pretty much all I hoped for. The UI is fantastic. I love making patches on it.

I find the resonator volume to be much lower than the other modules. When combining I set the others pretty low in volume to make sure the resonator has presence. I don't think it's a bug or issue, I think that's just how it is. Anyone have any suggestions other than setting the volumes really low and boosting resonator?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtlecrisis ➡️
Hey y'all,

Got my iridium beginning of the year and it's pretty much all I hoped for. The UI is fantastic. I love making patches on it.

I find the resonator volume to be much lower than the other modules. When combining I set the others pretty low in volume to make sure the resonator has presence. I don't think it's a bug or issue, I think that's just how it is. Anyone have any suggestions other than setting the volumes really low and boosting resonator?
Resonator volume is velocity-dependent. Low velocity key strike will cause different sound.
Gear Maniac

I just want to say that 6 polyphonic LFOs is soooooo much fun!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoC ➡️
I just want to say that 6 polyphonic LFOs is soooooo much fun!
Don't forget the Komplex modulator
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Does the iridium scratch that waldrof microwave itch for those who have used both? Does the iridium feel unique enough to justify the purchase? If it had analog filters like the quantum or CV OUT it would be an instant buy for me. These days I use the cv out to run my hydrasynth into my analog eurorack filters.

Cheers
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nleif ➡️
Does the iridium scratch that waldrof microwave itch for those who have used both? Does the iridium feel unique enough to justify the purchase? If it had analog filters like the quantum or CV OUT it would be an instant buy for me. These days I use the cv out to run my hydrasynth into my analog eurorack filters.

Cheers
I have not Iridium, but a Q and MW1. The analog filter and VCA in the MW will behave very differently when VCO levels are high. It will distort and saturate. I haven’t heard this kind of sound coming out of the Iridium. MW sounds without any internal effect very raw in a good way. Iridium is to my ears softer. Not better or worse, just different.

And... no, adding saturation as an effect doesn’t sound the same. In the MW saturation “is” in the signal path and changes dynamically according to the signal levels.

Other than that, Iridium is way more flexible than MW.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I've not used the earlier Waldorf's, but the Iridium is an extraordinarily powerful and complex instrument I would suggest it has uniqueness in spades, certainly alongside the Hydrasynth which I also have ... and I haven't found myself ever thinking "what I would like to try here is an analogue filter", let alone thinking it was "needed" (Tim Shoesmith did an I v's Q comparison video from which I took that he didn't much either) ... but I'm sure some might ...
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorange ➡️
I have not Iridium, but a Q and MW1. The analog filter and VCA in the MW will behave very differently when VCO levels are high. It will distort and saturate. I haven’t heard this kind of sound coming out of the Iridium. MW sounds without any internal effect very raw in a good way. Iridium is to my ears softer. Not better or worse, just different.

And... no, adding saturation as an effect doesn’t sound the same. In the MW saturation “is” in the signal path and changes dynamically according to the signal levels.

Other than that, Iridium is way more flexible than MW.

Actually Iridium has different filter modes that will emulate this and probably go beyond it. I use to have a MW1, I forget what revision. The two are not the same, but for me the Iridium is good enough. I wish I could use the legacy wavetable mode for a more crunchy sound without dropping voices. But it's still pretty good. The modern amenities of the Iridium make it the right choice for me.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nleif ➡️

Cheers
I have a Microwave XT and an Iridium. They definitely share many basic attributes but can go to very different places with programming. Iridium is definitely worth having alongside one of the older Waldorf synths.
Old 24 minutes ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

I have handmade Iridium wood ends available again:
Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) 4 pairs
Vermont Black Cherry (3 pairs) they are a bit more colorful than the pic
Red Oak (1)
Brown Ash (1)

$45 shipped, Paypal, CONUS

See attached for pics, PM if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_21.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	948093   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22.jpg
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	948094   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_23.jpg