The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
June 2020 New Gear Thread
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee View Post
Quadraverb is an ok unit with fx chain structure, but in my opinion some Boss units for example do it better. It has some classic effects though. The GT version isn't particularly noisy unit. I've read that from somewhere too, but I think he must have set the preamp limiter setting to high values and that obviously increases the source noise level. If you set the limiter (and overdrive, distortion etc.) to off, it's just as quiet as any Quadraverb unit.

Lexicon PCM 70 is more straightforward unit, but I like it's plates. For that classic Lexicon sound the bigger Lexicons are better (I have Lexicon 300 for that) since the chamber and concert hall algoritms are more vivid and lively in those units (more processing power).
Lexicon 300 is good. You like the 300 more then the 70?
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Maniac
Now post your credit card balances
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Guru

Talk about love/hate: I think this will be the fifth time I've owned one of these.
Old 15th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
i
Talk about love/hate: I think this will be the fifth time I've owned one of these.
How about you get a Waldorf Q and be done with dilemma once and for all.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
How about you get a Waldorf Q and be done with dilemma once and for all.
I really should, but for some reason I didn't vibe with the Q (or the XT for that matter). I love the sound and programming of the Blofeld, it's just that it keeps ending up in workstations where there's a lot of overlap with other synths. This time around, it's getting locked up with an MPC and the M:S, so hopefully I can leave well enough alone this time? Probably not though, so expect another Blofeld in the September New Gear thread.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same boat here. There's something about that synth for me where it eventually gets pushed into the dust pile and finally sold. Then after a while I find myself wanting one again then the process is repeated.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear
HALion 6
Tal sampler
Cpu for pc that got broken by overclocking

Trying for a very minimal month
Old 15th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Ok you don’t like it?

The one I was going to buy was GT but told to be careful as they are a noisy unit!

I wanted a Lexicon PCM 70 but gave up on the idea after hearing Bam
Not worth the trouble I thought.

I’m still fascinated by the Quadverb though.
Even an old midiverb ii but they don’t come up all that often anymore.
i dont find Bam sounding peticularly like 70, or any other Lexicon. to me its a very modern intepretation of classic algorithms. it has that plastic sheen and smoothness that is lacking that crusty vintage digital character which makes old lexis stand so well in the mix and wrap with the source.

300 vs 70. 70 sounds relatively older. while not identical, it does have 224 lineage in its sound, the rich plate and cd plate especially sound very vintage. also, its my favorite for rooms and small rooms, either for guitars, drums & drum machines. dirty but makes them larger than life.

300 i use for big vast reverbs, difussed delays into reverbs etc.. majestic is probably the best word to describe it. also love med and large chambers for pushing instruments into space without muddying the mix with long decays.

compared to 70, the 300 has much greater density, fidelity, and most importantly, it has spin and wand parameters to modulate/randomize within reverb engine feedback, like the 224 and 480 can.

i went after Quadraverb because its so different from the usual suspects, special sound when doing long ambient trails on certain polysounds, reminicent of early nineties warp records releases. Solon Music YT with SH101 are solid representation of how these machines sound with synths:

Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

I received these today ....

June 2020 New Gear Thread-image0-4-.jpg

.... to try and sort out this

June 2020 New Gear Thread-image2.jpg

June 2020 New Gear Thread-image1-2-.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
June 2020 New Gear Thread-image0-4-.jpg   June 2020 New Gear Thread-image1-2-.jpg   June 2020 New Gear Thread-image2.jpg  
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post

June 2020 New Gear Thread-image0-4-.jpg

June 2020 New Gear Thread-image2.jpg

June 2020 New Gear Thread-image1-2-.jpg
You can do it. Look how easy and tidy:

Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
You can do it. Look how easy and tidy:

Maybe I’m weird but that makes me incredibly aroused.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
Maybe I’m weird but that makes me incredibly aroused.
Oh I'm a big fan, myself.

No kink-shaming here.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
I just ordered a new Kaoss Pad Mini 2s.
It's my seventh of the series
I decided to get some more stuff - Korg Wavestate, Pioneer Toraiz Squid and a slightly beat up Korg Triton rack - it's missing the data wheel and got a few lines on the display, but it included 4 expansion cards - all for 50 US dollars (!). I also bought the Trance Attack and Dance Extreme plug-ins.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2020 New Gear Thread-ac700d9f-995c-4485-a2a8-b2a865e147ea.jpg   June 2020 New Gear Thread-65d4156d-b90e-446b-87e4-67954e437bad.jpg   June 2020 New Gear Thread-878e7f05-0137-4fb4-bbda-acd44cbc4d27.jpg   June 2020 New Gear Thread-639612da-01f0-4374-b741-efbe800e8535.jpeg   June 2020 New Gear Thread-5bc8537e-5388-4fa9-b592-60b06c522967.jpg  

Last edited by Perplexo; 16th June 2020 at 07:24 AM..
Old 15th June 2020
Here for the gear

Adam A77X, and arston spirit microphone... And a second hand iMac because I'm still on 10.6.8.... Last one, time for a major upgrade
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Guru

I was just browsing AMS and found they've got this in stock, so I grabbed it. Woo!

Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just browsing AMS and found they've got this in stock, so I grabbed it. Woo!

I love your avatar in how it perfectly expresses the existential angst one feels when pondering minikeys.

Oh, and congrats on the FM thingy...
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i went after Quadraverb because its so different from the usual suspects, special sound when doing long ambient trails on certain polysounds, reminicent of early nineties warp records releases.
If it’s anything like my Midiverb II whenever I send my synths through it using longer tail reverbs it’s like something out of a John Carpenter film, instant horror show. I could run a super happy chirpy sounding patch that would make Vince Clarke smile into it and out comes dark and foreboding. It’s the perfect complement to my modern more clinical sounding reverbs.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I had a similar experience with the Virus - six times.

Never with the Blofeld though. It's been love from the first try.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i dont find Bam sounding peticularly like 70, or any other Lexicon. to me its a very modern intepretation of classic algorithms. it has that plastic sheen and smoothness that is lacking that crusty vintage digital character which makes old lexis stand so well in the mix and wrap with the source.

300 vs 70. 70 sounds relatively older. while not identical, it does have 224 lineage in its sound, the rich plate and cd plate especially sound very vintage. also, its my favorite for rooms and small rooms, either for guitars, drums & drum machines. dirty but makes them larger than life.

300 i use for big vast reverbs, difussed delays into reverbs etc.. majestic is probably the best word to describe it. also love med and large chambers for pushing instruments into space without muddying the mix with long decays.

compared to 70, the 300 has much greater density, fidelity, and most importantly, it has spin and wand parameters to modulate/randomize within reverb engine feedback, like the 224 and 480 can.

i went after Quadraverb because its so different from the usual suspects, special sound when doing long ambient trails on certain polysounds, reminicent of early nineties warp records releases. Solon Music YT with SH101 are solid representation of how these machines sound with synths:

Interesting opinion about the Bam

I’m in love with it I think it sounds great, but yeah sure it can sound a little bright if you want it to though. Lots of reverb can sound bright if you program it that way.

I’m not using it for real spaces anyway more just as tone addition to synths. I’ll use the M7 or 2016 reverb for real spaces.

I have to say the tail on the Bam is quite nice.
Not muddy like some I hear.

I wouldn’t mind owning a PCM 70 and a Quadverb though, but after BAM not so much in a hurry to get one.
Geez how much reverb do we need around here

I think Lexicon vintage is praised for a reason, I have heard some beautiful sounding reverbs from some of these old boxes.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Oh the nightmare of cables, leads and wires! Adapters, wall warts and anything else hanging around!
It’s my never ending saga in the studio!
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh the nightmare of cables, leads and wires! Adapters, wall warts and anything else hanging around!
It’s my never ending saga in the studio!
It’s compounded by me having loads of Australian plugs as well - I should just hack the ends off and fit British plugs!

If anyone has any great ideas on what you can about adapters then I’m all ears - they’re all mostly different sadly, so I can’t just buy one of those one to many ones that are made for guitar pedals !!
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s compounded by me having loads of Australian plugs as well - I should just hack the ends off and fit British plugs!

If anyone has any great ideas on what you can about adapters then I’m all ears - they’re all mostly different sadly, so I can’t just buy one of those one to many ones that are made for guitar pedals !!
It gets worse when you buy gear directly from Japan and you are forced to use step down transformers

I did notice lots of travel adapters
Ha ha
Can’t help with you your issue man

I found power conditioners help me loads
One unit 11 connections
Only downfall requires a rack but I love them
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It gets worse when you buy gear directly from Japan and you are forced to use step down transformers

I did notice lots of travel adapters
Ha ha
Can’t help with you your issue man
Thankfully only my JX8P has a stepdown! And I can now fix all the travel adaptor plug problems - I've enough Aussie bar sockets and I did fit a UK plug to one, so can finally banish most of the adaptors - still need a Euro one for the A880 though!
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Loft getting redone at some point and yes, I'd have high sockets built and lots of them!
Old 16th June 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
I had a similar experience with the Virus - six times.

Never with the Blofeld though. It's been love from the first try.
I'm on my second Virus here. It probably would be more times than that, but I hang on to it knowing that each time I buy it over, it'll be more expensive and I'll lose that much more money.

...so anyone wanna buy a TI2?
Old 16th June 2020
bax
Gear Maniac

Working on the vocal chain this month:
  • UAD Apollo Twin USB (and a lot of the Unison-enabled plugs/bundles for channel strips and preamps that I never really needed before). Glad UA is having a really good sale this month, but even with that I spent more on plugins than I did on the interface...which I suppose is par for the UAD course.
  • RODE Mic Boom
  • Cloudlifter (SM7B needs a *lot* of gain)
  • Appropriate cabling

Got a project that will require actual vocals coming up, and I really wanted to try out the UAD preamp+modeling magic (vs the very clean RME FF800 pres). Probably just gonna lay down the vocals with it, then switch back to the FF for mix duties.

I really wish Thunderbolt 3 was truly a smooth and automatic thing that for the most part just worked on Windows without voodoo and small animal sacrifices, but not really the case just yet. If it was, the Apollo X8 is really calling to me, but I'm not moving to Mac at this point to chase an interface. Maybe someday...or maybe the "next big thing" (USB4?, SuperDuperBolt?) will work everywhere.

Thanks!
bax
Old 16th June 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
What if you could use the sound waves to generate more electricity?

New Technology Converts Sound Waves Into Electricity
https://wakeup-world.com/2011/05/30/...o-electricity/

Quote:
Electrical engineers have developed a new technique for turning sound into electricity, allowing a mobile to be powered up while its user holds a conversation.

The technology would also be able to harness background noise and even music to charge a phone while it is not in use.

Dr Sang-Woo Kim, who has been developing the design at the institute of nanotechnology at Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul, South Korea, said: “A number of approaches for scavenging energy from environments have been intensively explored.

The sound that always exists in our everyday life and environments has been overlooked as a source. This motivated us to realise power generation by turning sound energy from speech, music or noise into electrical power.
Old 16th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense_A View Post
What if you could use the sound waves to generate more electricity?

New Technology Converts Sound Waves Into Electricity
https://wakeup-world.com/2011/05/30/...o-electricity/
Hahaha I read your quote in the email I got sent and came here to post a picture of Keanu going woah - to find you had done it - bravo !!!
Old 16th June 2020
Gear Guru

It sounds shockingly good and it's only $20 with the discount code SUMMER-2020-20 .

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...berhausen.html
Old 16th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
It sounds shockingly good and it's only $20 with the discount code SUMMER-2020-20 .

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...berhausen.html
I agree. I grabbed it recently at the same price. It has their Tolerance Modeling Technology. Totally worth it.
📝 Reply