The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nord Lead 4 vs Yamaha AN1X sound
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Nord Lead 4 vs Yamaha AN1X sound

I realize these are two pretty different synths, at quite different price points. But how would you compare them sound-wise? I own a Lead 1, which I love the sound of, but I'm frustrated by its lack of onboard effects, so I've been considering getting a new VA that does have them. I have a Lead 2X as well, but I've never been able to get it to sound as warm or aggressive as the 1. I've listened to some demos of the AN1X and it sounds gorgeous, so I've been keeping my eye out on Reverb and eBay. But I do really like the layout of the Leads, as well as the wooden pitch-bend lever. So does the Lead 4 have as nice, warm sound as the AN1X? And are its effects as good as the AN1X?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

They sound quite different, each great in their own way. AN1x is more flexible synthesis-wise, with less polyphony and less parts (2 instead of 4).
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronjw View Post
....I own a Lead 1, which I love the sound of, but I'm frustrated by its lack of onboard effects, so I've been considering getting a new VA that does have them...
How about an external fx box? Probably more flexible than most fx built into keyboards.
I had a NL2 and liked its sound, but felt it was pretty limiting.
I like Yamaha's AN series, and given the choice, I'd probably go for one of those.
Don't have any experience with the NL4 though - so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 23 hours ago
Both have their strengths and their weaknesses, the effects in the AN1X are good but nothing incredible, very Yamaha-ish, you can get the AN1X to SCREAM like nothing else if you know how to tweak it, super aggressive sync saw sounds, I like that it's light, not too big, it's well built and has a nice keyboard, great as a controller/ synth for gigs, I don't like the display, its limited polyphony/multi timbrality and it uses a wall wart power supply.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search