The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDI/CV all-in-one Interface and Converter
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

MIDI/CV all-in-one Interface and Converter

I've been thinking it was about time to incorporate all of my synths in a way that would allow me to sync and control both MIDI and CV controllable synths and effectively integrate all of my synthesizers and my Eurorack, as well as my virtual synths, etc., if possible.

I'm currently using an iConnectivity mio10 as my MIDI interface. It's ok, if a bit confusing (to me), and probably does more with MIDI than I really need. It would be great if there was a single rack-mountable interface that would allow all of my MIDI and non-MIDI synths and my computer to all connect to it so all instruments could talk to each other, arpeggiators and sequencers could be synched, etc., etc.

I was looking at the Kenton Pro-2000, which looks great, and is rack mountable, but obviously it doesn't have all the ins/outs i would need. Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist and I should just incorporate something like the Pro-2000 into my existing setup. I thought I'd come here and see if there might be something that has eluded me and might be the perfect solution.

Ideas? Suggestions? Is the TA Programming Studio MIDI & CV Interface something to consider?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
expert sleepers modules.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Ya don't know of an all in one, but a racked case sounds like the way to go. I just picked up, but have not yet tested, hexinverter Mutant Brain, with midi in and 4 CV + 8 gates, configurable via sysex app.
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

CVOCD is another option: https://six4pix.net/product/cvocd/

How many MIDI and CV devices are you trying to hook up?

You might want to consider running multiple MIDI busses in parallel with splitters to MIDI-CV converters. Running more than a few MIDI devices in a chain can get laggy depending on the volume of MIDI message traffic. MIDI is a serial protocol -- so only one message at a time can go through. With parallel MIDI chains this isn't as much of a problem.

It also may be worth your while to look into a MIDI router as the 'hub' of your MIDI network. From the hub you can then manage multiple parallel MIDI chains (some of them with MIDI/CV conversion) or connect to a PC with USB.

Clock signals are a whole other ballgame. How you handle clocking will depend on what your equipment needs. MIDI Clock, Analog sync clock (either V-trig or S-trig), DIN Sync (and could be 24 or 48ppqn). MIDI clock is the simplest, though it has the same constraints as other MIDI messages -- only one at a time and can get laggy if there's a lot of traffic.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I've been thinking it was about time to incorporate all of my synths in a way that would allow me to sync and control both MIDI and CV controllable synths and effectively integrate all of my synthesizers and my Eurorack, as well as my virtual synths, etc., if possible.
Hey KP! Long time no talk and hope you're doing well!

I know that this doesn't answer your specific question, but have to ask:

If you still have your OB8 with MIDI, have you tried the DSX? If not, check it out.
It connects to your OB with an old school DB25 and has a *bunch* of CV I/O.

If you still have an OB8 w/ MIDI, there's no reason not to get one for as cheap as they are.....

Cheers!

Greg
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Addict

I have 3 CV OCDs and swear by them!
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Wasn’t there a new kickstarter a little earlier this year or last year that had a lot of this?
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone!

Rob Ocelot - at any given time I'll have about 5 or 6 MIDI synths set up (OB-8, Chroma Polaris, Prophet 600, Waldorf XTk + some rack mounts), as well as 3-4 older non-MIDI gear (Korg Trident, Lambda, Roland Jupiter-4, SH-1000). I also have a Eurorack setup. And several virtual synths on the computer. Looking at the CVOCD, that has a single MIDI input, so I'd just run out of one channel of my mio10 to that?

Greg - nice to hear from you! I do still have the OB-8 and love it. I've seen DSX's around but have never picked one up. I'll read up on them a bit, but they seem kind of bulky, no? Space at a premium here as you can imagine. That's why ideally I'd like to find a rack mountable solution - I have a few spaces open in one of my racks right now, so that would be ideal.

Looks like there isn't anything that could replace my existing MIDI interface AND supply MIDI/CV conversion is there? Something that could do that AND be mountable in a 19" audio rack would be the best. But the CVOCD does look interesting. And affordable too...

Last edited by The Mule; 19 hours ago at 05:08 AM..
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Long ago I remember people using MOTU 828s for CV stuff. I never needed it so I don't know how to do it. I know there's discussions about it though.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

On the cheap: 1 to a few CV.OCDs.

More $, and eurorack fornat: various Expert Sleepers solutions, various Ladik modules, etc.

Lots of ways to piece it all together.

No singular, clean, simple, solutions...
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

I have a Mio10 myself. I wouldn’t replace it in this case. Rather, I’d suggest getting a Polyend Poly2 (if you’re not using 3.5mm/eurorack you might also need something like a 4MS Pod and some 1/8” to 1/4 cables). Run midi from the Mio into the Poly2 and go from there. The Poly2 is incredibly flexible and should more than meet your needs.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I have a Mio10 myself. I wouldn’t replace it in this case. Rather, I’d suggest getting a Polyend Poly2 (if you’re not using 3.5mm/eurorack you might also need something like a 4MS Pod and some 1/8” to 1/4 cables). Run midi from the Mio into the Poly2 and go from there. The Poly2 is incredibly flexible and should more than meet your needs.
The Poly2 does look pretty great - thanks, I'll investigate further!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search