The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compressor/Effects Pedals for Vermona drm mk3
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Compressor/Effects Pedals for Vermona drm mk3

Hi there fellow Slutz,
I am thinking of beefing up the Bass and Snare of my Vermona drm mk3 analog drum synth with a pair of compressors, the FMR RNC and RNLA.
does anybody have any experience of these compressors? Is there a reason why I should avoid them?

Or are there any effect pedals that can do the trick?
Any general suggestions for channel enhancement welcome

E.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

you want character or utilitarian comps? because these fall more on the utility style of comps. you could go for the ehx platform. that has a lot of colour to it. but also, what's the budget? because that can change things quite a lot
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

If you dont have a good drive pedal, I would go with that for the bass drum. I love the sound of the drm1, but always add some kind of drive (have tried many, lots of good results) in parallel. If that's not possible, maybe find a pedal with a dirty/clean balance.

I liked to add slap back type echo with an analog delay or short reverb (usually also dialing a bit of "master" reverb) to the snare to make it a little "bigger"

A simple analog phaser can drastically change the way the hats sit in a mix

I have the RNC and, as stated above, it's more of a utility than something that adds character. If you are just looking for balancing the dynamics, it will do and is hard to beat in the price range. RNLA supposedly sounds better, but I have never used one.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

for drum machines or synths i always go for bass overdrives first as more often than not they have dry/wet controls. you can always look for rack gear like dbx comps. tons of them out there. but again, not much character, more utility stuff. there's also the sknote raw comps which should have some sort of character to them. plus they look cool as hell
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

There are vids on utube of people using these and riding the knobs to good effect. I have two of them on order at the moment.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...mpressor-pedal
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jSR5z3aHbbw
Old 5 days ago
had RNC, its a transparent utilitarian stereo compressor that sounds good only up to 3 dB of gain reduction. never liked what it did to mids. and too unballsy.

for handling your snare and kick on the very cheap end, i would suggest old Focusrite Compounder. running it in dual mono. it is flexible, has option to leave lo end uncompressed for kicks. and most importantly it has glue and attitude. its not neutral, its not transparent. and if you go overboard with attack or release it adds subtle drive to the kick. i used that sometimes to add edge.

of course you can also utilize it as stereo drum bus compression if that suits the track better.

there are pedal compressors, but in general are not on the same level bcs of low headroom, limited power supply compared to rack gear. and you have to fit all electronics in that little box. hard to expect same results. older forgotten dual mono rack compressors in rack give you better quality for the money. those pedals that are standouts, like Cali76, enter price range where you can really think of nicer things.

alternatively if you are diy capable, build yourself cpl of Hairball Audio 1176 channels for indiv drums. pretty much studio high end for fraction of the cost. punchiest kick, bass guitar, bass synth i ever heard. and on stereo drum bus a VCA compressor, like diy SSL4000 clone with wet/dry option and if you can find some dBX202c vcas. had that and stupidly sold it.

next to that i'd get an ota phaser of sorts so you can sweep/shimmer the top end like hihats and cymbals. older big box small stone, boss ph1r etc. a warmish BBD delay can also work nice and do triplet offsets, 8ths , 4ths, dotted eights to liven up the groove.

Last edited by clusterchord; 5 days ago at 12:19 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

What do u think of this? People replace the tubes and then it is supposedly the ****.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ling-amplifier
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

it's not really
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the replies...

Very Informative, thanks!

I already user an overdrive pedal, the MXR M89 , and a phaser, the MXR phase 100.

I feel that with a sub e1000 budget, I could do quite well, with the FMR RNC and RNLA. I might even look up a diy option also.
I liked the tip about the BBD Delay pedal also!

Thanks again!

E
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search