The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternative to Akai?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Alternative to Akai?

The mpc live and force are great. Probably one of a kind type of instruments. That said, if you already had both but wanted to try something else (sans force or mpc) what would you get and why?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0mega View Post
The mpc live and force are great. Probably one of a kind type of instruments. That said, if you already had both but wanted to try something else (sans force or mpc) what would you get and why?
Roland mc 707.
Beautiful synths deeply editable, best effects on the market for a groovebox, original roland drum machines, looper, sampler, very useable and enjoyable and great sound most of all.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Sweetwater has the Live II on preorder. I don't know what's new though.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Pioneer Toraiz SP-16 maybe. Sorta of a simplified version of a MPC w/ a Dave Smith analog filter thrown over the top.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Alternative to Akai is of course E-mu
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I hear good things about the Roland MV, I'm a diehard Akai/MPC guy so no personal experience..
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Deluge, or, if you want a totally different type of sequencer, OP Z.

Edit: Why? I have a Live and it's super powerful, but also very straightforward. The OPZ is much more creative and makes you think about musical phrases in different ways. Much more creative and pushed me in directions I probably wouldn't have gone with the Live
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Peter View Post
Deluge, or, if you want a totally different type of sequencer, OP Z.

Edit: Why? I have a Live and it's super powerful, but also very straightforward. The OPZ is much more creative and makes you think about musical phrases in different ways. Much more creative and pushed me in directions I probably wouldn't have gone with the Live
I have the live and force. But I’m kinda frustrated with Akai right now and I want to know if I have a prayer of getting a similar workflow without a daw.
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the live and force. But I’m kinda frustrated with Akai right now and I want to know if I have a prayer of getting a similar workflow without a daw.
I would say probably not. If I had to get rid of my MPC, I would get an MPK261 controller and use it with Logic 10.5. That combo might be a better MPC than MPC itself!
Old 22 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I am an Mpc Live user since 2 years and I clearly understand your frustration with Akai.
But I think it's not easy to find something like Mpc if you want this workflow.
I use Mpc with an Mc101, it's a very different workflow but they stay perfectly together. I love my 101 but if you want more synth edit, mc707 it's perfect, more tracks, and I really.think it has a great sound.
Why not Mpc Live and Mc 707 together?
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
ISLA Instruments S2400, my "why?" follows.

Well I've been using Spark(which I like) but its a PITA to load user samples fast(great for factory kits) and I don't like Geist 2(I find it not intuative and get annoyed with its workflow and close it) so I decided I wanted a sample drum machine, I looked at TR8S, MPC One but then started checking out the SP1200 clone - S2400 and decided that's the one for me, pure impulse and was drawn to it in a way that the others didn't have the same effect. Especially when someone said its a simple device to understand because I prefer simplicity and ease of use than over complicated do it all devices with too much bloat. I'm hoping I made the right choice, it's a pre order not shipping yet.
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
I am an Mpc Live user since 2 years and I clearly understand your frustration with Akai.
But I think it's not easy to find something like Mpc if you want this workflow.
I use Mpc with an Mc101, it's a very different workflow but they stay perfectly together. I love my 101 but if you want more synth edit, mc707 it's perfect, more tracks, and I really.think it has a great sound.
Why not Mpc Live and Mc 707 together?
Yeah, if you want the “MPC workflow” then get a MPC (or learn to live with its shortcomings in this case). They’ve been refining and developing it constantly since the late 80’s. I’ve used MPC’s since the 60, and its a very specific almost zen-like workflow (especially w/ the more stripped down older MPC’s). My advice would be focus on the glass being half full not half empty. The new generation of MPC’s are extremely capable. But like with any self contained system it has its limitations. Nothing, not even computers, will solve every problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search