The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Matriarch + One Other
Old 1 day ago
Moog Matriarch + One Other

I purchased my first Moog a few months ago (Matriarch) and have absolutely fallen in love with it and the Moog sound. One of the first things I realised was just how 'flat' my Matrixbrute sounded (totally subjective, of course) - so much so that I have been thinking recently of selling it.

So, I'm looking for something that will complement my Matriarch. Before I bought the Matriarch, I was really close to getting a Sub37 and so that is on the shortlist along with a Moog Voyager. But, I'm not 100% sure which would complement the Matriarch better.

It's this kind of sound that I am trying to get and both do it really well - not interested in traditional basses or leads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8flvz7DkyTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaZwFliATPs

Plus point for the Sub37 is that it is much cheaper
Plus point for the Voyager is that I can get a RME which will free up lots of space

Thank you
Old 1 day ago
eb7
Lives for gear

If it has to be another Moog, I'd go with the Sub37. It offers a nice contrast to the Matriarch, particularly with the filter in two-pole mode.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Take a look at the MFB Dominion 1 as well. Those two really compliment each other in my setup.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

I don't own any Moog unfortunately (I would love to have one,I was looking the Voyager for some time) but from what I've heard I prefer the sound of the Voyager.It sounds way more classy IMO and it has the third oscillator which opens a wider palette of tones and the HP filter,the FM from osc 3.

However I find some likeness in the sound of the Voyager with your Matriarch.
The Matriarch should be able to sound like the first video you have posted,don't you think?

Given you already have the Matriarch,maybe the Sub 37 is a wise choice?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

What about a Pro-3 instead? I’ve heard it can do moog like tones and it is much more versatile.
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post
I don't own any Moog unfortunately (I would love to have one,I was looking the Voyager for some time) but from what I've heard I prefer the sound of the Voyager.It sounds way more classy IMO and it has the third oscillator which opens a wider palette of tones and the HP filter,the FM from osc 3.

However I find some likeness in the sound of the Voyager with your Matriarch.
The Matriarch should be able to sound like the first video you have posted,don't you think?

Given you already have the Matriarch,maybe the Sub 37 is a wise choice?
I didn't realize the guy is playing with the continuous oscillator shape of the Voyager on the first video.So no,you can't do that with your Matriarch...

You need the two as a GS...Maybe start with the Sub 37 ?
Old 12 hours ago
Yeah, a Pro 3 is always an option.

But I totally fell in love with the Moog sound though - it wasn't until I heard it right in front of me that I totally got it.

My heart says Voyager but my head says Sub37 + Boog.
Old 12 hours ago
Lives for gear

Don't have any experience with a Voyager, but I've got the original Sub37 and a Matriarch. I'd say the tones complement each other pretty well. Not that much overlap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search