The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha RS 7000 vs Akai MPC 1000 vs whatever - which one suits my workflow best?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Yamaha RS 7000 vs Akai MPC 1000 vs whatever - which one suits my workflow best?

Gear I’m considering: Akai MPC 1000 and Yamaha RS 7000.

Feel free to recommend something else in that price range.

I’m looking for a hardware midi sequencer that records the polyphonic midi that I play on my keyboard. It should be straightforward. After the first pattern is recorded (triggering synth 1), I’d like to record a second pattern (triggering synth 2) while monitoring the first one. A flexible arpeggiator would be an added bonus. Once done, I’d like to quantize and edit the patterns and create interesting variations from the midi that I’ve just recorded (the crazier the better). Finally, I should be able to trigger all the individual patterns on the fly while the unit records the session. Simple stuff. Which one of these units would you recommend and why?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I would get a Squarp Pyramid. I had RS7000 and it is nice and has some cool sounds as well but it is quite large and getting old. The pyramid has midi fx as well which was nice on the RS and rm1x. The RS7000 has a job function though which can take a simple arp and turn it into a freaky pattern. Anyway, if all u need is sequencing then get a Pyramid which costs the same as a clean RS or MPC.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
At that price range, you'd be better off buying a brand new MPC One rather than an overpriced used antediluvian device with a greenish screen that will hardly be in good shape.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
I would get a Squarp Pyramid. I had RS7000 and it is nice and has some cool sounds as well but it is quite large and getting old. The pyramid has midi fx as well which was nice on the RS and rm1x. The RS7000 has a job function though which can take a simple arp and turn it into a freaky pattern. Anyway, if all u need is sequencing then get a Pyramid which costs the same as a clean RS or MPC.
Thanks for the suggestion. Pyramid looks nice. Is there something you like better on the Pyramid compared to the RS - besides the fact that it’s smaller & newer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
At that price range, you'd be better off buying a brand new MPC One rather than an overpriced used antediluvian device with a greenish screen that will hardly be in good shape.
LOL I love green! *insert rant about the psychological effects of green*

Also: Plenty of MPC1000s and RS7000s in great shape where I live.

Thanks for suggesting the MPC One, but I’m not a fan. There’s too much going in the menu for me and it has a color screen - too distracting (and I really mean for me - personal preference). It’s like staring into a laptop, which is precisely what I’d like to avoid while I’m composing. Forgot to mention this in my OP.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Displays are easy and cheap to swap. You can get MPC One for $500ish?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow Sky View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Pyramid looks nice. Is there something you like better on the Pyramid compared to the RS - besides the fact that it’s smaller & newer?

LOL I love green! *insert rant about the psychological effects of green*

Also: Plenty of MPC1000s and RS7000s in great shape where I live.

Thanks for suggesting the MPC One, but I’m not a fan. There’s too much going in the menu for me and it has a color screen - too distracting (and I really mean for me - personal preference). It’s like staring into a laptop, which is precisely what I’d like to avoid while I’m composing. Forgot to mention this in my OP.
Nothing to do with the color, everything to do with barely readable screens which kill eyesight.

You can even go in and out of live recording without having to press stop on the RS7000, this is also a matter of workflow that is severely outdated.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
You can even go in and out of live recording without having to press stop on the RS7000, this is also a matter of workflow that is severely outdated.
Is this a typo or an Americanism , “can” really meaning CAN’T ?
(“could care less“ = couldn’t care less )

Search my previous posts for details on this - you CAN’T drop in & out of realtime record AND switch between *Sections without stopping ( a matter of workflow that is seemingly outdated ) ,
though you CAN drop IN to realtime record then OUT to REHEARSE mode but only within the same pattern .

I've given up making sequencer recommendations , I merely pop up when prospective polyphonic players are being recommended inappropriate homophonic or monophonic devices (such as Elektrons , Electribes , Beatsteps ) ,
the OP seems well in control of this distinction so I will wish them well in their search .
In my cherished ”ageing” RS7000 defence I will say it can record & edit PolyAT & sysex , which Ableton version 10 still cannot .
For all its great functions , the arpeggiator is not one of them , & cannot be synced to be recorded though .

Last edited by subhertz; 8 hours ago at 04:10 PM.. Reason: corrected “patterns” to “Sections”
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gear I’m considering: Akai MPC 1000 and Yamaha RS 7000.

I’m looking for a hardware midi sequencer that records the polyphonic midi that I play on my keyboard. It should be straightforward. After the first pattern is recorded (triggering synth 1), I’d like to record a second pattern (triggering synth 2) while monitoring the first one. A flexible arpeggiator would be an added bonus. Once done, I’d like to quantize and edit the patterns and create interesting variations from the midi that I’ve just recorded (the crazier the better). Finally, I should be able to trigger all the individual patterns on the fly while the unit records the session. Simple stuff. Which one of these units would you recommend and why?
The RS7000 is definitely cool and worth getting, imo. I have two of them
Have you looked at the Pioneer Toraiz Squid? It is also very interesting.
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Nothing to do with the color, everything to do with barely readable screens which kill eyesight.
I see. I’ll give the display a good look then if I decide on buying one of these „antediluvian“ devices. Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by subhertz View Post
Search my previous posts for details on this - you CAN’T drop in & out of realtime record AND switch between patterns without stopping ( a matter of workflow that is seemingly outdated ) ,
though you CAN drop IN to realtime record then OUT to REHEARSE mode but only within the same pattern .
This might get a bit annoying sometimes, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me.

Quote:
In my cherished ”ageing” RS7000 defence I will say it can record & edit PolyAT & sysex , which Ableton version 10 still cannot .
For all its great functions , the arpeggiator is not one of them , & cannot be synced to be recorded though .
Thanks for bringing up sysex. Even though I’ve never been hugely into automation, sysex recording could still come in handy in the future. I actually do use sysex gear and have considered getting a Novation Remote (MKI or MkII) to do some on the fly tweaking of my digital synths. Would you say that the RS would be able to record knob movements via sysex without choking up? I’ve heard sysex data can get quite dense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
The RS7000 is definitely cool and worth getting, imo. I have two of them
Have you looked at the Pioneer Toraiz Squid? It is also very interesting.
Two mighty RS7000s? Man, that’s neat. Looking at your signature, you seem to have a lot of really nice gear.

Toraiz Squid looks good - I was only aware of the one with the bigger display. I might give this one (and the Pyramid) a try in a shop. Thanks!
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for bringing up sysex. Even though I’ve never been hugely into automation, sysex recording could still come in handy in the future. I actually do use sysex gear and have considered getting a Novation Remote (MKI or MkII) to do some on the fly tweaking of my digital synths. Would you say that the RS would be able to record knob movements via sysex without choking up? I’ve heard sysex data can get quite dense.
Maybe a little bit of realtime tweaking , depending what else is coming into the buffer , but yes input buffer can overload .
You can filter & thin data (once recorded) to protect receiving devices but of course you’ve got to get it in first .
I was really referring to send / receive occasional commands , or storing & transmitting sysex patches for hardware within the project but not while the song is playing .

I’ve said before about stopping the sequencer is that not only do you give your ears a little break , but you get the repeated joy of hitting the play button & hearing the groove kick in .

P.S should have used Yamahaspeak “Sections” not “patterns” above , now corrected.

Last edited by subhertz; 8 hours ago at 04:12 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Maybe a little bit of realtime tweaking , depending what else is coming into the buffer , but yes input buffer can overload .
You can filter & thin data (once recorded) to protect receiving devices but of course you’ve got to get it in first .
I was really referring to send / receive occasional commands , or storing & transmitting sysex patches for hardware within the project but not while the song is playing .

I’ve said before about stopping the sequencer is that not only do you give your ears a little break , but you get the repeated joy of hitting the play button & hearing the groove kick in .

P.S should have used Yamahaspeak “Sections” not “patterns” above , now corrected.
Okay, thanks. I guess I'll just have to try it and see how far I could push things. But even just occasional sysex commands are already a major plus indeed. I'm amazed that Ableton doesn't do sysex.

Yeah, taking small breaks in between takes could be seen as an advantage - all a matter of perspective, as with most things in life. Thanks for all the good info
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search