The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JX-3P, to keep or not to keep?
Old 1 day ago
  #1
Here for the gear
JX-3P, to keep or not to keep?

Hey there,

Was just wandering if I should keep this synth, considered that I also have an OB6. It may not sound right to someone but i think with the OB I can cover much of the sonic range of the JX, plus more. So I was thinking about selling it to get a nice mono or something else...
Any thoughts?
Do you think that Its price we'll go up in the next years?

Thanks
Old 1 day ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Most synth prices seem to be slowly going up. I'd keep it because it has a vintage tone the OB6 does not. They seem like they'd be a great combination. It all depends on what type of music you want to make.
Old 1 day ago
  #3
Here for the gear
Yes true...lately I'm working on more cinematic/landscape sort of tones, and the JX seem to always have this stingy metallic tone which doesn't seem to fit
Old 1 day ago
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'd keep it because it has a vintage tone the OB6 does not.
And what's that "vintage tone" that the OB6 doesn't have exactly?
Old 1 day ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
And what's that "vintage tone" that the OB6 doesn't have exactly?
It's what all earlier analogs have that most modern ones don't. There is a Retrosound comparison on youtube of OB6 and OBXA.

Do you not believe there is a vintage sound? Or you think OB6 nails it? I don't think OB6 is quite there if you want that tone quality.
Old 1 day ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Westlaker's Avatar
Vintage synth enthusiast here. Of the modern machines I've fiddled with at my local GC, the OB-6 is the only polysynth that I thought could stand with the big boys from yesteryear. Have considered adding it to my arsenal...

FWIW.
Old 1 day ago
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's what all earlier analogs have that most modern ones don't. There is a Retrosound comparison on youtube of OB6 and OBXA.
Are you actually claiming that your JX-3P with DCO sounds like an OBXA?


Quote:
Do you not believe there is a vintage sound? Or you think OB6 nails it? I don't think OB6 is quite there if you want that tone quality.
No, there is no vintage sound. A JX3P doesn't sound like a Polymoog or an OBxa. So which one has a "vintage sound" exactly?
Old 1 day ago
  #8
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
Vintage synth enthusiast here. Of the modern machines I've fiddled with at my local GC, the OB-6 is the only polysynth that I thought could stand with the big boys from yesteryear. Have considered adding it to my arsenal...

FWIW.
It does not shame but definitely does not sound either vintage
Old 1 day ago
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
It does not shame but definitely does not sound either vintage
What does that even mean? What does "sound either vintage" means? It doesn't mean anything. A JX3P doesn't sound remotely like a OBXa at first place. Neither does the OB6 but it doesn't say anything about whether something is "vintage sounding" or not. Define "vintage sounding".

One thing is certain, the DCO on your JX3P sound thinner than the VCO on a OB6, the former wouldn't be much of anything if not for its chorus.
Old 1 day ago
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuc View Post
Yes true...lately I'm working on more cinematic/landscape sort of tones, and the JX seem to always have this stingy metallic tone which doesn't seem to fit
I sold mine for exactly that reason.
Sound quality was pretty bad.
It was one of the first affordable polys when I picked mine up in, what 1983?

If I want DCO I can use my Korg EX-800
It's got bad sound quality that I like sometimes.
Old 1 day ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
I’ve had both. The JX-3P has a really wide range in the filter and too much envelope or key tracking can open it excessively and this synth doesn’t sound best with filter wide open. If tamed it can sound very close to the junos. I actually like it a bit more than the 106 (which has always sounded to rigid and nasal to me) but less than the 6/60 which is a masterpiece. The LFO is too slow perhaps, that was for me the main drawback together with the lack of proper pwm. Organix mod is a must in my opinion. The simple and effective poly sequencer is one of the best and most fun things Roland’s ever made. Top notch sync sounds, and in general close to what a Jupiter 6 can do.

OB-6 was a bittersweet experience for me, as that’s when I discovered I really don’t like 2-pole filter polys and very much prefer the sweeter 4-pole classics. Or more precisely perhaps, I realized I’m more into roland polys rather than oberheims. OB-6 lacked punch and it had a modern DSI sizzle I wasn’t fond of. The clangorous Obie resonance was missing though. Tons of features but half-assed imo, bad sounding audiorate LFOs, VCOs thinner than some old DCOs... all softness and no character.
I spent 2k for the OB6 and 350 for the JX-3P (including PG-200) and in practice I found myself using the Roland a tad more. The OB was a lot of money put into something not worth it. If left after a year. The JX stayed a bit longer only to later fund my favorite poly synth of all, the Jupiter-4.
Old 1 day ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
GeminIAm's Avatar
Keep it. In 2 years it'll go for 1500-2000
Old 21 hours ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
It's different enough, and complimentary. I Kiwi-ed mine (as the CPU had died) and it was a really nice improvement.
Old 19 hours ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
was silents's Avatar
Do you have the programmer?

Regardless, why would you keep it?
Old 19 hours ago
  #15
Lives for gear
I just finished a track with the jx3p. Keep it. It sounds fantastic.
Old 15 hours ago
  #16
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post
Do you have the programmer?

Regardless, why would you keep it?
I don't, but I actually think It's not that pain in the a** to use it without the programmer, which by the way costs almost like the synth itself...
Old 15 hours ago
  #17
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
It's different enough, and complimentary. I Kiwi-ed mine (as the CPU had died) and it was a really nice improvement.
Do you know where you can get a kiwi mod?
Is it easy to install it yourself or you need a technician?
Old 14 hours ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
After owning all the JX range here and there over the years, it was my favourite of the range.

However, (like the Juno I had), over time I began to get bored of its sound. I can't put my finger on what it was, but it had this subtle flavour to its sound that never inspired me much. I would jump into a song thinking that using the JX strings would be spectacular, but often ended up using something else.

I sold it along with its PG=200 programmer and never really regretted it.

It was always a 6/10 synth for me. (but thats just my opinion of course).
Old 14 hours ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
three86's Avatar
I sold mine and got a JX-03 because it is a lot more fun with the knobs and sequencer
Old 13 hours ago
  #20
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
What does that even mean? What does "sound either vintage" means? It doesn't mean anything. A JX3P doesn't sound remotely like a OBXa at first place. Neither does the OB6 but it doesn't say anything about whether something is "vintage sounding" or not. Define "vintage sounding".

One thing is certain, the DCO on your JX3P sound thinner than the VCO on a OB6, the former wouldn't be much of anything if not for its chorus.
Im not maybe best person to describe nuances of the sound of analog synths but I will try at least. OB6 is extremely good sounding synth (obviously) but somehow it doesn't sound similar to old Oberheims, this is not bad thing at all but if you're after classic obie sound it just doesn't have those textures and resonance, instead it is loud as **** and it almost sounds like it had some kind of compression on all the time. I was constantly looking 'how to get that boost off'.. Of course skilled designer can pull anything out from it but lets just say its not similar to vintage, and Im not one of those designers.

JX3P instead, it sounds vintage for obvious reason because it is (IR-3109 etc.) I prefer OB6 sound to JX3P but classics are those what are used in my recordings mostly. Oh and by the way, thin is good! I mute JX3P chorus and record it mono.

peace.
Old 13 hours ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuc View Post
Do you know where you can get a kiwi mod?
Is it easy to install it yourself or you need a technician?
https://www.kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm

As far as I'm aware Murray has stopped making the 3P upgrade but still has kits in stock. Once they are gone they are gone. He's still updating the firmware with the occasional bugfixes. Last version was May 2019.

If you are uncomfortable with soldering and desoldering then I suggest taking it to a tech.

Now, as for what the Kiwi-3P brings to the table... it turns it into a whole new synth. This has its good points and bad points. All of the extra features add a layer of complexity (to both the synth structure and the UI) that makes you go down different paths than you would with a stock 3P. Sometimes, just sometimes you want a vintage synth for it's straight up simplicity and dialing in the sound you want quickly.

In other ways the Kiwi upgrade makes the 3P almost as powerful as (and in some ways more powerful than) a Jupiter-6. You are also facing a bit of a sunk costs scenario: Do you keep adding things to the 3P (upgrades, knob boxes, decals) or just go and buy the other synth you are trying to make the 3P into.

Tough call.
Old 12 hours ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
I’ve had both. The JX-3P has a really wide range in the filter and too much envelope or key tracking can open it excessively and this synth doesn’t sound best with filter wide open. If tamed it can sound very close to the junos. I actually like it a bit more than the 106 (which has always sounded to rigid and nasal to me) but less than the 6/60 which is a masterpiece. The LFO is too slow perhaps, that was for me the main drawback together with the lack of proper pwm. Organix mod is a must in my opinion. The simple and effective poly sequencer is one of the best and most fun things Roland’s ever made. Top notch sync sounds, and in general close to what a Jupiter 6 can do.

OB-6 was a bittersweet experience for me, as that’s when I discovered I really don’t like 2-pole filter polys and very much prefer the sweeter 4-pole classics. Or more precisely perhaps, I realized I’m more into roland polys rather than oberheims. OB-6 lacked punch and it had a modern DSI sizzle I wasn’t fond of. The clangorous Obie resonance was missing though. Tons of features but half-assed imo, bad sounding audiorate LFOs, VCOs thinner than some old DCOs... all softness and no character.
I spent 2k for the OB6 and 350 for the JX-3P (including PG-200) and in practice I found myself using the Roland a tad more. The OB was a lot of money put into something not worth it. If left after a year. The JX stayed a bit longer only to later fund my favorite poly synth of all, the Jupiter-4.
For the reader’s reference. I’m going to completely disagree with all of the negative points you’ve said about the OB6. It sounds wonderful. If it didn’t sound wonderful it wouldn’t cost that much to make. I’m here because I don’t want anyone put off by one negative opinion.

Yes, folks, Internet forums are useless. There is no consensus on any of these synths. Best to try them out.

While I think about it, humanity hasn’t reached a consensus on any issue, there’s always someone, annoyingly raising his hand and disagreeing.
Old 12 hours ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
daviddever's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
https://www.kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htmNow, as for what the Kiwi-3P brings to the table... it turns it into a whole new synth. This has its good points and bad points. All of the extra features add a layer of complexity (to both the synth structure and the UI) that makes you go down different paths than you would with a stock 3P. Sometimes, just sometimes you want a vintage synth for it's straight up simplicity and dialing in the sound you want quickly.

In other ways the Kiwi upgrade makes the 3P almost as powerful as (and in some ways more powerful than) a Jupiter-6. You are also facing a bit of a sunk costs scenario: Do you keep adding things to the 3P (upgrades, knob boxes, decals) or just go and buy the other synth you are trying to make the 3P into.

Tough call.
Not that tough, as one would face a similar dilemma with the OB-6 and the YorickTech LFE (Low-Frequency Expander).

You try to maximize the experience of the thing you enjoy, because you can't get it anywhere else.
Old 12 hours ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by three86 View Post
I sold mine and got a JX-03 because it is a lot more fun with the knobs and sequencer
and sequencer that is not polyphonic :-(
(keyboard transpose could be nice too. very limited sequencer.)

plus b*gger all user preset memories... 16? Roland please fix this !!!
Old 12 hours ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
For the reader’s reference. I’m going to completely disagree with all of the negative points you’ve said about the OB6. It sounds wonderful. If it didn’t sound wonderful it wouldn’t cost that much to make. I’m here because I don’t want anyone put off by one negative opinion.

Yes, folks, Internet forums are useless. There is no consensus on any of these synths. Best to try them out.

While I think about it, humanity hasn’t reached a consensus on any issue, there’s always someone, annoyingly raising his hand and disagreeing.
So we’re gonna have to agree to disagree This is why I emphasis on personal experience and particular opinion several times in my reply. By no means it’s definitive or tries to set opinions in stone. Take it with a big fat “not for me”.
Not only your perception of a synth relate to your personal experience but also to the rest of the rig you have and your musical aspirations and expression. I’m just sharing mine, and I’m happy there’s opposite experiences to it.
Old 12 hours ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
For the reader’s reference. I’m going to completely disagree with all of the negative points you’ve said about the OB6. It sounds wonderful. If it didn’t sound wonderful it wouldn’t cost that much to make. I’m here because I don’t want anyone put off by one negative opinion.

Yes, folks, Internet forums are useless. There is no consensus on any of these synths. Best to try them out.

While I think about it, humanity hasn’t reached a consensus on any issue, there’s always someone, annoyingly raising his hand and disagreeing.
And such is life.....I’m sure you’ve heard the old addage, you cant please everyone? Welcome to it. :0)
I keep waiting for someone to build the perfect synth, that everyone loves......they’d sell billions of them, or at least thousands.
Old 12 hours ago
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar View Post
Im not maybe best person to describe nuances of the sound of analog synths but I will try at least. OB6 is extremely good sounding synth (obviously) but somehow it doesn't sound similar to old Oberheims, this is not bad thing at all but if you're after classic obie sound it just doesn't have those textures and resonance, instead it is loud as **** and it almost sounds like it had some kind of compression on all the time. I was constantly looking 'how to get that boost off'.. Of course skilled designer can pull anything out from it but lets just say its not similar to vintage, and Im not one of those designers.

JX3P instead, it sounds vintage for obvious reason because it is (IR-3109 etc.) I prefer OB6 sound to JX3P but classics are those what are used in my recordings mostly. Oh and by the way, thin is good! I mute JX3P chorus and record it mono.

peace.
You still didn't explain what "sounds vintage" means. You're dancing around it.

Quote:
but somehow it doesn't sound similar to old Oberheims,
Neither does the JX3P which you claim "sounds vintage", so it doesn't seem to be a precondition to "sound vintage" according to your own logic.

"sounds vintage" is meaningless.
Old 11 hours ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
You still didn't explain what "sounds vintage" means.
'fruity'.
Old 11 hours ago
  #29
Lives for gear
Here we go again

edit:
JX-3P is a keeper, even if most of the time Roland Cloud's JX-3P can do the job just fine.
Old 10 hours ago
  #30
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
https://www.kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm

As far as I'm aware Murray has stopped making the 3P upgrade but still has kits in stock. Once they are gone they are gone. He's still updating the firmware with the occasional bugfixes. Last version was May 2019.

If you are uncomfortable with soldering and desoldering then I suggest taking it to a tech.

Now, as for what the Kiwi-3P brings to the table... it turns it into a whole new synth. This has its good points and bad points. All of the extra features add a layer of complexity (to both the synth structure and the UI) that makes you go down different paths than you would with a stock 3P. Sometimes, just sometimes you want a vintage synth for it's straight up simplicity and dialing in the sound you want quickly.

In other ways the Kiwi upgrade makes the 3P almost as powerful as (and in some ways more powerful than) a Jupiter-6. You are also facing a bit of a sunk costs scenario: Do you keep adding things to the 3P (upgrades, knob boxes, decals) or just go and buy the other synth you are trying to make the 3P into.

Tough call.
Then you would necessary need a programmer (or soft editor if there is one)?
Or you can access to all new parameters through button combinations?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump