The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JX-3P, to keep or not to keep?
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuc View Post
Then you would necessary need a programmer (or soft editor if there is one)?
Or you can access to all new parameters through button combinations?
Yes - add the Synthgraphics decal, and it's the same exercise as a standard JX-3P, with the added benefit of usable SysEx.
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Addict

I had 2 JX-3Ps at one time, one with PG-200, one without.

A voice told me to sell both and I did.

Like you, I have no regrets.

Best to sell to someone who can 100% enjoy the JX-3P.

Still have the JX-8P but it perma-leans against the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
After owning all the JX range here and there over the years, it was my favourite of the range.

However, (like the Juno I had), over time I began to get bored of its sound. I can't put my finger on what it was, but it had this subtle flavour to its sound that never inspired me much. I would jump into a song thinking that using the JX strings would be spectacular, but often ended up using something else.

I sold it along with its PG=200 programmer and never really regretted it.

It was always a 6/10 synth for me. (but thats just my opinion of course).
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
'fruity'.
saudade, anemoia

edit: however anything which is 100% subjective shouldn't de debated, I personally know grown people who thinks buffy vampire slayer is a great show
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludar View Post
saudade, anemoia
great words to google
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuc View Post
I don't, but I actually think It's not that pain in the a** to use it without the programmer, which by the way costs almost like the synth itself...
Agreed, I ask because your thread includes the sale option and, as you imply above, the programmer would make a big difference.

Still, why would you keep it? Maybe I haven’t read carefully enough but I haven’t found where you’ve articulated that. Do you only want to keep it in a closet in hopes of appreciating value? Does it get used at all since you’ve acquired the ob6? Do you still get enjoyment from it? Just wondering where you’re coming from for the sake of discussion.
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
I had 2 JX-3Ps at one time, one with PG-200, one without.

A voice told me to sell both and I did.

Like you, I have no regrets.

Best to sell to someone who can 100% enjoy the JX-3P.

Still have the JX-8P but it perma-leans against the wall.
Yeah its not a bad synth by any means, I just found all the JX line of synths rather vanilla and for best of word 'safe'.

I'd take a DW8000 over a JX8P any day. To my ears (and of course imo) it has a more alive & unrestrained sound.
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Addict

Had a DW-6000 which I sold at the same time as the JX-3Ps.
Paid $150 and sold for $250CDN.
it's archiles heel was the low output level, even with correct
gain staging methods inside synth programming.
I am not one to pre-amp or use anything but 0dbu on my mixer sliders
(let the synth hit the level the mixer needs).

Loved the tone of the DW-6000, but some of us 50+'ers
can be ruthless in what stays and what goes.
Heck, I even traded away my Timbre Wolf!

Edit: I should sell the JX-8P as I have not logged even 40 hours of playtime
and I bought this 2012. Compared to the thousand of hours of play/program on Blofelds.

Back on topic: the JX-3P really mehhed-me-out when you tuned DCO2 to DCO1 unitiy,
you could hear the locked phase of the DCOs, and at the time it bothered me.

Now, a DCO synth with separate master clocks for each DCO would be better in my books.

Quote:
Yeah its not a bad synth by any means, I just found all the JX line of synths rather vanilla and for best of word 'safe'.

I'd take a DW8000 over a JX8P any day. To my ears (and of course imo) it has a more alive & unrestrained sound.
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
great words to google
remember to try vintage synths too
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been looking to add another polysynth to my arsenal, preferably in rackmount form, and have been considering some fairly expensive machines (002R, all three of the Black Corp offerings, etc.). But as I listen to demos, I keep coming back to the DW-8000/EX-8000. Honestly? I think it sounds as good as any of 'em, and oftentimes sounds better (esp. Espen Kraft's demo of his soundbank: yes, I know he used effects). Maybe I should just trust my ears...
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just found all the JX line of synths rather vanilla and for best of word 'safe'.
You spelled iconic wrong
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
I've been looking to add another polysynth to my arsenal, preferably in rackmount form, and have been considering some fairly expensive machines (002R, all three of the Black Corp offerings, etc.). But as I listen to demos, I keep coming back to the DW-8000/EX-8000. Honestly? I think it sounds as good as any of 'em, and oftentimes sounds better (esp. Espen Kraft's demo of his soundbank: yes, I know he used effects). Maybe I should just trust my ears...
Its a bit of a marmite synth. Some love it, some hate it. I think its a very nice sounding synth. Still excellent value for money. That programmer looks like it really opens it up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
You spelled iconic wrong
iconic?, another over-rated Roland synth? Same thing
Old 2 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post
Agreed, I ask because your thread includes the sale option and, as you imply above, the programmer would make a big difference.

Still, why would you keep it? Maybe I haven’t read carefully enough but I haven’t found where you’ve articulated that. Do you only want to keep it in a closet in hopes of appreciating value? Does it get used at all since you’ve acquired the ob6? Do you still get enjoyment from it? Just wondering where you’re coming from for the sake of discussion.
I bought it later than the OB6, actually it's not been a year since I have it. Kinda wanted to try out some Roland stuff from those years to see how they sound.
Not disappointed at all, sequencer is great and you have wide programming range, maybe never convinced at all by the overall character but that's just personal taste. I still play around with it and try out some patches, I was just trying to build a solid set where everything has its own place and found a bit stuck over this question
Part of which I still keep it (and bought in first place) it's just because I'm in love with those f***ing machines!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search