The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Prolouge 8 vs 16 voice L.F compressor important?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Korg Prolouge 8 vs 16 voice L.F compressor important?

Hi! Im considering buying a Korg Prologue and i'm not sure if i should get the 8 or the 16 voice version. 8 voices and 49 keys is enough for me, so the question is: Is the 16 voice worth it just to get the l.f compressor?

Also, if anyone have experience with both the prologue and sequential prophet 6/ob-6, can the prologue sound as fat as these?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rullgardin View Post
Hi! Im considering buying a Korg Prologue and i'm not sure if i should get the 8 or the 16 voice version. 8 voices and 49 keys is enough for me, so the question is: Is the 16 voice worth it just to get the l.f compressor?

Also, if anyone have experience with both the prologue and sequential prophet 6/ob-6, can the prologue sound as fat as these?
You get more with 16 than the LFC - which is awesome! - you get front panel layering controls on the left hand as well; much, much easier to tweak layering than menu diving. Plus you get those extra 8 voices for layering without stunting the voicing. 1/2 my presets are layered.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rullgardin View Post

The Korg analog sound is a little more "glossy" and "cold" to my ears than the Sequentials sound. Perhaps a touch thinner without effects - not always a bad thing when trying to fit them in a mix. Maybe those are the wrong words - I quite like the Korg analog sound, myself. It's absolutely worth listening to as many videos as you can of all of them. The programmable oscillator provides some really interesting avenues of sonic exploration. The 16 would be very much worth the extra if you can afford it. Not that you need 16 voices at once - rather, that you can do two different 8 voice sounds at once. Ideally, you could, in a DAW for example, use the Prologue 16 on 2 different tracks at the same time.

For me: I'd strongly consider a Prologue 16 over a Prophet 6 keyboard version. While there's some overlap in the sound (I'm no expert, having only played around with those 2 synths) with the OB-6, the OB-6 can go further afield in a different direction. Whether you want or need that is a personal thing. I'd almost certainly get a Prologue over a Rev2 16 keyboard for certain, as well.

Korg is shooting itself in the foot by not having a desktop Prologue.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I can definitely hear when the compressor is on or off. Sometimes you want it on, and sometimes you want it off. It's basically just another sound design tool.

I agree with what everyone else has said about the 8 vs 16. I got the 16 for the reasons stated by others - layering/splitting retains 8 voices per part, instead of 4. Four is a little rough. Also, I just checked Reverb and the cheapest 16 right now is $1,139, while the cheapest 8 is $800. That's not too much of a price difference for twice the voices, the compressor, and some extra knobs and switches on the panel.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I bought the XD module as soon as it came out. It convinced me 16 is the way to go. 4 voices isn't enough for many voicings when you dig into the digital oscillator.

With layering, you get 4 VCOs, and two digital oscillators (they don't have to be the same!!) per note. With all that, would be happy with just 4 voices?? No! Of course not! :-)
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head
Ok, thank you all for some really good advice, this helps a lot! I guess i should consider the 16 voice based on all the positives mentioned by you guys But as some of you mentioned, the prologue sound is a bit thin? Is it thinner than the sequential synths for example? I have a Roland jx-3p which i'm going to sell because i think it sounds a bit thin and metallic.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I don't find the Prologue 16 sounding thin and metallic, unless I want it to. But that's a subjective thing, you'll have to decide for yourself.

The compressor definitely beefs up the bottom end on the 16. Maybe the 8 might fit that description better.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

The Korg is not thin and metallic. It’s just slightly more so - and it’s only more a description than a significant difference... a way to describe how they don’t sound the same. Roland is very controlled. Korg is less so. Korg analog sounds good. It’s a little cleaner than Sequential, especially the OB-6 which can be slightly beastly (to mix, as well). Maybe don’t listen to me. Heh.

Again, if I hadn’t fallen in love with the OB-6, I’d own a Korg. I have a lot of Korg soft synths, too. I enjoy their sound. I also have a Roland SE-02.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Listening to the Andersons video the Prologue sound Pretty damn good on that Broken Wings Patch Ol boy plays. Sounds like a perfect synth to sit in a mix.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head
Ok! Thanks again for all your comments! good to know that it's not thin sounding. Im considering the ob-6 as well, but i think i will go with the korg since its much cheaper. Ive watched the Andertons video a bunch of times also, it sounds great!

Btw, i came across this comment on reddit regarding the 8 vs 16 voice prologue:

"The compressor on the 16 voice version isn't a big deal. I got a chance to directly compare a Prologue 8 and 16 side by side in a shop before making the purchase and noticed that the gain staging is a little different on the 8 so even without the compressor the low end sounds full and fat. The P16 doesn't sound as full in the low end with the compressor off, so it's nice to have the option to beef it up if I'm working on a patch that needs it."

Does anyone know if this is the case?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I don't know if that's the case, but I can say that having the ability to switch the compressor off is quite useful when you want a sparkly sound. Basically, it's like an EQ. Compressor-on makes the synth nice and full when playing by itself, but compressor-off would be very helpful when trying to fit it into a specific frequency slot in a crowded mix.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I really hope that Korg will make a Prologue XL rack or something. If they took the XD motion sequencer that would be awesome.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsauca View Post
I really hope that Korg will make a Prologue XL rack or something. If they took the XD motion sequencer that would be awesome.
It's probably coming soon, since I just bought my Prologue.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
It's probably coming soon, since I just bought my Prologue.
Yeah! That’s how it is. My TR-8 got usurped by the TR-8s...

Prologue is a great synth by all accounts.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
I don't know if that's the case, but I can say that having the ability to switch the compressor off is quite useful when you want a sparkly sound. Basically, it's like an EQ. Compressor-on makes the synth nice and full when playing by itself, but compressor-off would be very helpful when trying to fit it into a specific frequency slot in a crowded mix.
I leave it on all the time. Sometimes I turn it off to check a patch. The only time it gets in the way is when there are some low DSP artifacts that are magnified with it on.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quick question while I think about it: is the compressor on/off saved with patch data?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighesttree View Post
Quick question while I think about it: is the compressor on/off saved with patch data?
Nope. It's manual on/off P16 only.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I would also add that, although I always leave LFC on - I am just playing it for myself. If I was recording. It would only be on when it had to be up front. It won't lay in a mix unnoticed.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Addict

It’s a pretty useful little compressor, if you don’t have outboard
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search