The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why isn't anybody here into producing Jpop?
Old 21st May 2020
Here for the gear

Why isn't anybody here into producing Jpop?

I tried searching but didn't see any threads where people were interested in J POP production. The few I seen asking about it got no replies, weird.

Is anybody here interested in it, into produing it?
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

I do (did?), but not the dance type Jpop. More into the pop side, such as Hamasaki Ayumi or Amuro Namie, and maybe a little bit Perfume.
We have doing this since maybe 10 years ago, but never really into serious territory.
My partner is currently busy doing other works, hopefully will release more tracks later this year.

Here's our latest work for a Youtube series:
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Because it's sh1t?
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

because it would be cultural appropriation
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Head

No thanks, I saw the film "perfect blue" last week and I don't want any "me-manias" hanging around.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Normally on Fridays I dress up as a Japanese schoolgirl and our metal band plays worship ballads for the overfiend.

But sorry this week we're busy with flamenco, maybe next week.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konokoknk View Post
I tried searching but didn't see any threads where people were interested in J POP production. The few I seen asking about it got no replies, weird.

Is anybody here interested in it, into producing it?

If only I was a Japanese girl....

I have this album on vinyl :p

Old 21st May 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
because it would be cultural appropriation
Is this "cultural appropriation?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYG...ature=emb_logo
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Because it's sh1t?
Bingo.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Am 50yo hetero honkey male, for starters.

I mean, I jam when Gangnam Style comes on, because it jams and the video is amusing, but the whole jpop and kpop scenes are well outside of my interests, and I mean that with no snark...

I don't follow the Jonas Brothers, either. Yet they seem to have, literally, millions of fans. Who knew.

People are strange.

Old 21st May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
but the whole jpop and kpop scenes are well outside of my interests, and I mean that with no snark...

You just need to be exposed to the right material, alot of jpop songs are really good
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

More of an ASA-Chang & Junray and Cornelius guy here but wow, these are some intense tunes. Prefer it to Atari Teenage Riot for sure. Gives new context to that Fantomas suspended animation album too. Definitely interested in the discussion but without much to contribute. Thanks for posting all these vids!
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

When it comes to *Pop, I prefer EuroPop for the music, KPop for the videos and whatever cutsie name we have for American Pop (USPop?) for the hooks.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm View Post
Because it's sh1t?
Dont hold back lol.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Head

I shamelessly appropriate j-pop/rock cliches. You don't generally hear me about it because of popular mindsets as seen in this thread.

People who don't listen to anime music don't need to know why my music sounds happy and dramatic at the same time. And for those who've seen Cowboy Bebob, well, they can feel 'in the know'.

Wish there was a J-music production ap(propr/prec)iation thread somewhere though.

PS: Cultural appropriation is awesome if you consider it a thing. It's sad to want to keep stuff all to yourself.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

I love a bit of Jpop and I would say it’s an influence (I sample it quite often...eg in the tune in my sig). But as to why it doesn’t come up here much, I’d say it’s the language barrier, pure and simple. There are a number of Japanese based contributors here on GS, but they only post in English, from what I have seen. So we are probably missing out on Jpop but also plenty of other good Japanese music too (eg I love Cornelius).
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Head
I spent 4 years or so writing songs for HΛL, the Japanese producer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_(Japanese_band)

Was very strict briefs with often extremely fast turn arounds. Good fun, though
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
If only I was a Japanese girl....

I have this album on vinyl :p

Oh my eyes will never be the same! :-) that was awesome.

I loved watching TV when I was over there.
Old 22nd May 2020
Producing J-Pop is an elite team sport. Most of us don't have the team ...
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

I like the Yellow Magic Orchestra, does that count?
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
... as to why it doesn’t come up here much, I’d say it’s the language barrier, pure and simple.
i'd imagine it's more of a taste barrier. same reason we don't see hardstyle mentioned too much.

i think Jpop must be the most aurally offensive music i've ever heard, just a non-stop attack on the senses with an "annoyance factor" never before seen. completely exhausting to listen to, an instant headache which lingers long after it's over. makes bro-country seem like a breath of fresh air, which is really saying something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post
... Prefer it to Atari Teenage Riot for sure.
the OP took the video down, but that's exactly what that one tune made me think of... "ATR for little kids, with none of the punk cool".

Old 22nd May 2020
I remember 30 seconds ago before I knew what “J Pop” was. Man, those were good times.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Guru

I wouldn't mind but the whole scene uses fake, plastic, bright coloured child like fashion, backdrops and imagery. There's nothing of any substance, earthliness or belief. Its almost is the perfect audio/video description of what's wrong with humans, whenever I see this stuff it reminds me of those seedy old men who are into buying females underwear from vending machines. yeah nah leave me out of that thanks, cringe is super high on jpop & kpop.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Not my thing. One of my best friends growing up was Korean, he didn’t listen to it either. When we were age appropriate it was more Young Jeezy, Gucci Mane and lil Wayne.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I wouldn't mind but the whole scene uses fake, plastic, bright coloured child like fashion, backdrops and imagery. There's nothing of any substance, earthliness or belief. Its almost is the perfect audio/video description of what's wrong with humans, whenever I see this stuff it reminds me of those seedy old men who are into buying females underwear from vending machines. yeah nah leave me out of that thanks, cringe is super high on jpop & kpop.
What a shallow way of looking at the community.

You just became my least favorite person on GS.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Anyways.....Jpop is cool and all, like it when in the mood.....but Vocaloid is much more my thing.

Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiirai View Post
I shamelessly appropriate j-pop/rock cliches. You don't generally hear me about it because of popular mindsets as seen in this thread.

People who don't listen to anime music don't need to know why my music sounds happy and dramatic at the same time. And for those who've seen Cowboy Bebob, well, they can feel 'in the know'.

Wish there was a J-music production ap(propr/prec)iation thread somewhere though.

PS: Cultural appropriation is awesome if you consider it a thing. It's sad to want to keep stuff all to yourself.
Culture, music, they are like water. They flow around and take their shape from the lay of the land around them. Not owned. Only constrained til they flow differently.

Have listened/watched some Jpop stuff. Some of it was interesting, some not so much. Does liking Babymetal count? Very tight performances, super intricate shows. Not even a junior metalhead here, but still enjoy it.
Old 22nd May 2020
< moderator message - OP you would've gotten different replies if you had asked "who's into J-pop?" oh well.. >
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Addict

After reading some responses in this thread I'm a bit afraid to answer...

Well, for the last two-three years I'm very much into Japanese music. I'm not sure if it qualifies strictly as Jpop however. My main focus currently are singers-songwriters like Anri Kumaki, Maiko Fujita, Ai Kawashima, Aoi Teshima etc etc, but I also love some of the more "plastic" stuff like Garnidelia or the aforementioned Perfume. Some AKB48 or other idol groups are also welcome (in moderate doses ). And yeah, it all started with anime and game opening songs for me

That also influenced my recent output. So far I have posted two such tunes on YT:

What I like the most about Japanese songs that I listen to is that they still put strong emphasis on melody, and use the chord progressions that I love, but which went out of fashion in the West some 30 years ago
I mean - pop is mostly all about the cliches, but I love their cliches
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Then you are a perfect target audience for japanese idol groups, some which are top players in J-Pop...

Lets do a simple experiment.
Take a small mirror or a smartphone and watch this video:

If it doesn't brighten your mood enough to put a smile on your face, then i doubt the statement i quoted from you on the top.

I usually listen to some of the darkest and most brutal genres of metal and rock.
But once every week or so, i just need some kawaii girls dancing and singing and not being dressed sluttily nor behaving like western pop stars.

That they are not too good at singing is actually a good thing, gives them a homely feeling of just a girl next door singing when hanging out clothes to dry:

And their weekly variety shows are a barrel of laughs:

📝 Reply