The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why isn't anybody here into producing Jpop?
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Head

Anyway. I think most of us don't produce jpop by virtue of not living in Japan.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Up until 5 minutes ago I didn’t make Jpop because I didn’t know what it is. Now I know what it is I don’t make Jpop because it’s the music equivalent of a coat hanger abortion. WTAF is that?
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiirai View Post
Anyway. I think most of us don't produce jpop by virtue of not living in Japan.
now I'm confused about why I don't produce Jpop.
I was using the not living in the Japan excuse until you came along and pulled that rug from under my feet.
Old 26th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
but Vocaloid is much more my thing
Oh yes! Especially Hatsune Miku!! This is my favorite track, i prefer it because it features a super talented lady from Sichuan province, Yao Ren Mao (cat that bites) aka Ririchiyo:

I must have watched this video at least 50 times and i will do another 5000. Mind you, the graphics was added later, this just shows this little lady has a millisecond precision, it's insane. She is Chinese but also speaks English, a bit of Japanese and a bit of Vietnamese, plays piano way better than me and definitely my favorite dancer.

Plenty of good stuff on the Far East, you just have to look, and definitely NOT everything they make is cringe worthy.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
now I'm confused about why I don't produce Jpop.
I was using the not living in the Japan excuse until you came along and pulled that rug from under my feet.
My apologies. Had I known that excuse was already in use I would've adopted a difference stance to begin with.

I don't produce J-pop because all the preppy-faux-happy J-pop girls are toxic to my base-line state of cynicism.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiirai View Post
My apologies. Had I known that excuse was already in use I would've adopted a difference stance to begin with.

I don't produce J-pop because all the preppy-faux-happy J-pop girls are toxic to my base-line state of cynicism.
no you're right. I should take this opportunity to officially adopt this excuse, and do so with pride. but granted this position does put me at odds with claims that someone doesn't have to be Japanese to make Jpop. but I am at least now more ok about it.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Some more J-pop for you:

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by base615 View Post
Up until 5 minutes ago I didn’t make Jpop because I didn’t know what it is. Now I know what it is I don’t make Jpop because it’s the music equivalent of a coat hanger abortion. WTAF is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
I've never thought of it as anything other than what's in the charts in Japan. I haven't payed much attention for years, but even now most of the popular stuff seems to be based on templates that were created in the nineties. Not much forward motion.
Sort of like 2000's EDM I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
I get exactly what J-pop is..which is why
I find that “trying” to write/compose a song
in that style is so exhausting.

J-pop, like K-pop and Euro-pop and whatever,
celebrates style over substance. There is
actually almost no song substance to it at all.
It is more a collection of “hooks” sequenced
together, every sound has to be its own hook,
lyrics are all cliche catch-phrases that roll off
the tongue easily and are fun to sing along
to, but have very little meaning.

The music appeals to a 9yr. old to 15 yr. old
demographic. There are only four themes
ever explored:
1. I want you I want to be with you.
2. I hate you and I’ll get even with you.
3. Nobody knows how I feel.
4. Let’s party.

I grew up on actual songs, not cut-and-paste
looped sequences, so for me doing J-pop
really isn’t rewarding. It is, however, annoying.
I’d rather not waste the years I have left
trying to second guess 11-year old girls.

You mean like the Beatles?

I think the main elements of the JPop and Kpop music may not be as much a gender or age thing as much as a defining characteristic of a particular subset of the population. I see is sort of similar to the appeal of manga graphic novels -- just like there was a particular type of "Western geek" that was attracted to fantasy comics. Very particular subset and by no means widespread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Some more J-pop for you:
fascinating stuff. this could be interpreted as a parody of Western styles like Emo-rock or death metal.
Old 26th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
Very particular subset and by no means widespread.
Indeed. But some really good jewels can be found among:

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Indeed. But some really good jewels can be found among:

the anamanaguchi set from secret sky.

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

make fun of it all you want, that a pretty catchy tune.

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yes! Especially Hatsune Miku!! This is my favorite track, i prefer it because it features a super talented lady from Sichuan province, Yao Ren Mao (cat that bites) aka Ririchiyo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTAiHEQ-PuQ

I must have watched this video at least 50 times and i will do another 5000. Mind you, the graphics was added later, this just shows this little lady has a millisecond precision, it's insane. She is Chinese but also speaks English, a bit of Japanese and a bit of Vietnamese, plays piano way better than me and definitely my favorite dancer.
Cool party trick (i guess) but musically??
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

LOL This thread is hilarious! Some interesting material too. Thanks for all the example posts!

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
If we're posting awesome Japanese popular music which isn't Jpop . . .
Since we're posting slightly out of category and I also love Cornelius, here's the Japanese track that sprang to my mind when first reading this thread.

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Some more Sakamichi Series:

Nice Mellotron here:
Old 26th May 2020
If I lived in Japan Id like it...its just a cultural language barrier for me as I really enjoy pop. Its been mostly introduced to me through my daughter but I find pop today is in a far better place than its been in the last couple of decades. Decent songwriting, catchy tunes, a lot of good talent topping the charts (if charts still exist). If my kids were Japanese of Korean Id probably appreciate that too if I heard it every school run or taking them for pizza

My wee boy singing MIA Paper Planes is very cute if a bit disturbing
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

The kind of stuff that comes to my mind when I think of J-Pop ..

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

And some J-pop from the 80s:
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
And some J-pop from the 80s:
and the 70s!.......

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kleinert View Post
That was cool.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

I got caught up with J-Pop first with Kyary Pamyu Pamyu then found her producer Yasutaka Nakata also was with Capsule (last post) and also produced Perfume. Perfume caught me by surprise and I have been a non-stop fan for 5 years.

What's unique about JPop vs US Pop is the scales they use, I am sick of US pop with the same same do-re-me interchangeable phrases and Perfume with their great harmonies and Yasutaka with this jazz based chords make music that is so unique from euro and US pop.

An early hit:

Old 26th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post
LOL This thread is hilarious! Some interesting material too. Thanks for all the example posts!

edit:

Since we're posting slightly out of category and I also love Cornelius, here's the Japanese track that sprang to my mind when first reading this thread.

Awesome
Old 26th May 2020
Another one of my favs:

Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Seems like fun-pop, lighthearted, innoscent, juvenile, exploring the cheesy and cute. But I don’t know, man, this Japanese devotion to small girls in school uniforms or similar baby-looks gives me the creeps. Like there is a dark side to it. I’ll pass. Music is not for me anyway.
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Guru

Surely baby metal isn't Jpop ..?? they play that stuff on alternative radio stations here, deffo not jpop imo, Jpop is when you've mistakenly walked into a blue light disco and the kid on the decks has turned the pitch up. Pure children's cheese.
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:

Plenty of good stuff on the Far East, you just have to look, and definitely NOT everything they make is cringe worthy.
Just had to check, nope not April 1st.. whew.
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Surely baby metal isn't Jpop ..?? they play that stuff on alternative radio stations here, deffo not jpop imo, Jpop is when you've mistakenly walked into a blue light disco and the kid on the decks has turned the pitch up. Pure children's cheese.
Indeed. It's an Idol group that makes metal. Nothing Jpop about it.

Another reason why we're not into producing Jpop. We don't actually understand what that word means. Which is interesting as it's literally an amalgamation of 'japanese' and 'pop'.
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Surely baby metal isn't Jpop
Google it, look on the right side of your screen.
Quote:
Genres: Heavy metal, J-pop, Power metal, Alternative metal
I would also add "Kawaii metal" to that list.
As i said before, J-pop is a "genre" that includes a very wide variety of genres.
And J-pop is simply 90% of the music that is made in Japan and is popular and is not few selected genres.

Read the Wiki page i linked, it is really interesting.
Old 27th May 2020
Let's kill the negative vibe the thread recently picked up...

It needs moar K-Pop featuring Yaorenmao:

Click full screen, thank me later...
Old 27th May 2020
Gear Guru

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that a lot of blokes like this stuff because of the girls.
Old 27th May 2020
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that a lot of blokes like this stuff because of the girls.
No way. It can't be.

I think they come because of the incredible compositions, larger than life chord progressions, insane crescendos, super original counter points, and most sweet cadences. They come because they got tired of noobs like Dvorak, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky and Debussy.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear