The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Arturia product coming soon
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i've got a price of $249 for the OB-Xa plus the whole V-Collection 7 (sold my v6 a year or two ago but have all the fx and freebies). not too bad, i dragged my heels on the recent $199 v7 deal and missed out. might jump on it, not sure.
If you only think about the best of their current crop, that actually becomes a really good deal. Hell, I’d probably pay $250 or more for just the Synclavier and CMI V. The Buchla emulation is also a lot of fun. I think it was... maybe you, that told me that their Synthi emulation was better than XILS’s, though I’ve not tried it yet.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Right.
But that can be user error.
Also, you’re comparing a sound that’s been recorded on tape, mixed and processed, including mastered, with the sound of a raw synth. They’re never going to be identical. I’m always a bit amazed that people ignore this.
Old 20th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted a5cda09 View Post
The MicroFreak is the real deal. Don't let the haters kid you. It punches way above its weight class. You can't beat the modulation possibilities for the price. Arturia hit a home run with that synth. That's why so many of us were disappointed that they haven't followed up on that with a monster freak synth. ARTURIA....ARE YOU LISTENING??? Your customers have spoken. MAKE THE SYNTH WE HAVE ALL BEEN ASKING FOR! Is that too much to ask? Listen to your customers? Its called Business 101.
Awful sounding plastic toy, sold it quickly.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
If they can’t get the rights, just change the waveforms enough to not step on legal rights. ...
nah, an ESQ missing the original waveforms wouldn't be an ESQ that users are happy with. they'd get slagged for it. i'm guessing the legal end of it would be a mess, but i'd love to see them pull through with it.

Quote:
If you only think about the best of their current crop, that actually becomes a really good deal. Hell, I’d probably pay $250 or more for just the Synclavier and CMI V. The Buchla emulation is also a lot of fun. I think it was... maybe you, that told me that their Synthi emulation was better than XILS’s, though I’ve not tried it yet.
i've owned (v6) or tried all of them except for this new one, it's a hell of a deal for sure (unless i wait until after v8 has been out for a while and maybe have an offer of $199 again). it's a little over $10 a synth for all of them, i think. i'm trying to set aside money for the MC-707, but i might go for it. too much value to pass up, even if i hardly use most of them.

yes, the Synthi was very impressive. do check it out when you get a few minutes.
Old 20th May 2020
Deleted a5cda09
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
One man's toy is another man's CS-80.....
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
And one man's CS-80 is another man's boat anchor.

I think Arturia is really killing it on the hardware side. The Brutes, the Freak, the Impact--all very useful, great sounding gear.

On the software side, their latest offerings have been yawn-inducing. I got the CMI, which was worth the price of admission, but the CZ and OB just don't tempt me.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Well, when it happens, I’ll PM you the photos. I have a feeling the moderators might not want public posts on their forums.
Old 20th May 2020
Deleted a5cda09
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I think Arturia is really killing it on the hardware side. The Brutes, the Freak, the Impact--all very useful, great sounding gear.
Couldn't agree more....the Microfreak partnered with the Drumbrute Impact makes a lethal combination. For the sheer firepower and price, its a heck of a deal. Let's hope Arturia cranks out another hardware synth soon. I'm willing to donate plasma if the synth specs hit all the high marks....
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
nah, an ESQ missing the original waveforms wouldn't be an ESQ that users are happy with. they'd get slagged for it. i'm guessing the legal end of it would be a mess, but i'd love to see them pull through with it.
I don't think any patents on the transwave tech are still standing, but there might still be copyrights on the waves themselves. I'm sure Creative would love to sue over the use of those, if they still own the IP.

Maybe team up with Dave Rossum and someone from the old Ensoniq (I can never remember those guys' names) to dream up an update with modern z-planes and transwaves and whatnot and put out a grand unified Emusoniq synth.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
On the software side, their latest offerings have been yawn-inducing. I got the CMI, which was worth the price of admission, but the CZ and OB just don't tempt me.
Give the Arturia CZ a shot, it has really impressed me. I've never used a real CZ but it's probably my favorite of the V Collection.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
I'm sold. Thank you.
Old 20th May 2020
Quote:
I was giving you a taste of your own posts

the microfreak's great, did sell it though
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Head
I had hated Arturia's house sound for a long time, but I changed my mind since they released Buchla. Not 100% analog, but they are releasing excellent synths. I wish they would update their old releases.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
OMG you’re insane!

Oh well, so am I.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
The demo is far from the sound.This is no good.

I feel that there is not enough sound in the center.

I uninstalled it.It is a waste of time.
I’m going to site this and claim user error. Plenty of sound in the center... and on the left, right, and moving all about, if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
Seriously, it’s been almost 40 years since I touched an OB-Xa, and I could not claim to be an expert in its sound, as I only got to use one in the music shop that I worked in, but I’m having a hard time imagining that anyone who liked synthesis would think this is a bad sounding instrument.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't think any patents on the transwave tech are still standing, but there might still be copyrights on the waves themselves. I'm sure Creative would love to sue over the use of those, if they still own the IP.

Maybe team up with Dave Rossum and someone from the old Ensoniq (I can never remember those guys' names) to dream up an update with modern z-planes and transwaves and whatnot and put out a grand unified Emusoniq synth.
I’m sure you’re right about that, but it’s so stupid and short sighted of Creative. They’re sitting on IP that’s not generating a cent for them. Now, maybe the money from licensed waveforms is small potatoes to their bottom line, but as a marketing device, it would be invaluable. Just write the contract to read something like, “Any time Arturia’s logo is shown, it must be accompanied by the Creative logo. Any time Arturia’s name is mentioned in marketing materials, it must be proceeded by “In cooperation with Creative Labs...” Right now, I nearly never even think of Creative in any way but, “the fs that won’t give up or license the Ensoniq/E-MU IP.”
Old 20th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
OMG you’re insane!

Oh well, so am I.
I was joking
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Maniac

kinda bummed about arturia support with the microfreak . still haven't fixed acknowledged bugs but keep pumping out new stuff. sold it many many months ago with the intent of picking one back up when they fixed the bugs, but that's still yet to happen. love my impact though
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m sure you’re right about that, but it’s so stupid and short sighted of Creative. They’re sitting on IP that’s not generating a cent for them. Now, maybe the money from licensed waveforms is small potatoes to their bottom line, but as a marketing device, it would be invaluable. Just write the contract to read something like, “Any time Arturia’s logo is shown, it must be accompanied by the Creative logo. Any time Arturia’s name is mentioned in marketing materials, it must be proceeded by “In cooperation with Creative Labs...” Right now, I nearly never even think of Creative in any way but, “the fs that won’t give up or license the Ensoniq/E-MU IP.”
Creative has never been noted for good business moves.

Though from everything I have read, they treated their Emu and Ensoniq employees well -- until the axe fell.
Old 20th May 2020
How did the creator of the sq8l get around copyright issues? That little beauty sounds spot on to the real deal and it's still one of my favorite synths and its long been abandoned. I can't remember the devs name I think it was Wolfgang Kullman or something like that and that emulation is virtually spot on to the hardware. It still sort of works with jbridge but it is sketchy at times. Please for the love of all that is good and holy someone make a modern version!
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
How did the creator of the sq8l get around copyright issues?
i know he was working with Syntaur on it, which is why i thought they might have the rights to the sounds.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can’t you pan all voices to the center if you want?
I pointed out that the center is a weak point.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
The MicroFreak is the real deal. Don't let the haters kid you. It punches way above its weight class. You can't beat the modulation possibilities for the price. Arturia hit a home run with that synth. That's why so many of us were disappointed that they haven't followed up on that with a monster freak synth. ARTURIA....ARE YOU LISTENING??? Your customers have spoken. MAKE THE SYNTH WE HAVE ALL BEEN ASKING FOR! Is that too much to ask? Listen to your customers? Its called Business 101.
Don't expect to win no award for thinking of this idea, Arturia originally when they released the Microfreak talked about the Freak "range" of instruments, the Micro was potentially the first in the line. Its still quite a new instrument plus as someone already mentioned with C19 restrictions I suspect they have had to come down to a slow walk when it comes to hardware manufacturing, they don't have their own megacity manufacturing plant like Behringer do.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
I pointed out that the center is a weak point.
That’s the creamy goodness.
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I just wonder how different a waveform has to be before it’s legally a new waveform. Maybe not far enough to make a aural difference. Or maybe even improve upon them. I had the EQ-80 for a while, and for me it was a lot more about the filter than the waveforms. Many were pretty cheezy.

Radom thought: waveforms should be like fonts.

Quote:
yes, the Synthi was very impressive. do check it out when you get a few minutes.
I did. I agree. They really did an excellent job capturing an analog vibe. That four note poly mode really extracts a high cost though... barely usable for me. One thing I missed was the pin matrix potentiometers, like XLIS 3/4 has, though to be honest, I’d be way happier if they just presented a user populated mod matrix like other software (including itself) do. It is one of those synths that’s so different, I’m really going to have to hit the manual to get the most out of it.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s the creamy goodness.

If you like it no problem.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

For now, i am yet to hear sounds like these from the VSTi:
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I Think Only repro would be on par with those raw sounds. The Arturia OBXa seem like a thin toy compared to this sound. Let’s hope Synapse Audio OBsession will bring us something better!
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Nut

So y’all got Rick Rolled...
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah put a long release on the envelopes on any patch on the Arturia VST and you’re right there.
📝 Reply