The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Arturia product coming soon
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTK View Post
Why do Synapse need to make an emulation of obsolete tech that will still be an emulation and therefore probably less real than an analogue original?
Actually Synapse is/are working on it right now.
If it is comparable to The Legend, then it will be epic.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Just listened to the beginning of the Arturia promo video. Sounds nothing like a Jump Like It's 1999 Obie.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
Would like to see how this compares to the OP-X-PRO II. The Arturia demos for the OBXa-V sound pretty strong and solid. Some of the user YouTube videos sound thin.
You can download the demo and hear for
yourself.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMickey View Post
Must confess I‘m a bit disappointed that it‘s „just“ another VA software product. Having already so many I had hoped for polyphonic hardware.
I think maybe everyone is overlooking the
fact that Arturia’s hardware production
schedule may still be on hold, due to the
pandemic.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
for $49 its tempting, I like their new plugs, but Ill end up downloading it to my laptop then never using it

guess I better buy it then
Me too.

I was all, “I’m waiting for Synapse’s emulation.” Then I saw that for $149 I can get OB-8a V, CZ V, Synthi V, and Mellotron V. (All of which I’m interested in.) That’s a pretty great value. They always get me like this.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
You can download the demo and hear for
yourself.
You can. I tried it. It seemed a bit CPU heavy, but I definitely thought it sounded great. I had to dial down voice count a few times. Could be time to buy a new PC. Definitely not thin sounding.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
... I saw that for $149 I can get OB-8a V, CZ V, Synthi V, and Mellotron V. (All of which I’m interested in.) That’s a pretty great value. They always get me like this.
i've got a price of $249 for the OB-Xa plus the whole V-Collection 7 (sold my v6 a year or two ago but have all the fx and freebies). not too bad, i dragged my heels on the recent $199 v7 deal and missed out. might jump on it, not sure.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Me too.

I was all, “I’m waiting for Synapse’s emulation.” Then I saw that for $149 I can get OB-8a V, CZ V, Synthi V, and Mellotron V. (All of which I’m interested in.) That’s a pretty great value. They always get me like this.
I hold out for quality. Get the most exquisite, not the most bountiful. At least that's my goal.

But I'm on GS for a reason....
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Addict

Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Just listened to the beginning of the Arturia promo video. Sounds nothing like a Jump Like It's 1999 Obie.
Right.
But that can be user error.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Time for a thread title change?
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

I already started a proper thread for this. We don't need the pages of speculation about what Arturia's going to announce. Or maybe a mod can merge the two.

Arturia OB-Xa V
Old 20th May 2020
Quote:
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i've got a price of $249 for the OB-Xa plus the whole V-Collection 7 (sold my v6 a year or two ago but have all the fx and freebies). not too bad, i dragged my heels on the recent $199 v7 deal and missed out. might jump on it, not sure.
The new plugs are excellent

Id love if Arturia focused on everything digital, because they really shine...the CZ has totally extinguished any chance of me buying one. Thanks to their dx my dx7 still hasnt been repaired (well that and a little virus going around lol)
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
I hold out for quality. Get the most exquisite, not the most bountiful. At least that's my goal.

But I'm on GS for a reason....
I’ve trashed Arturia in the past for their lackluster quality, but there’s none of that in this emulation. Not that I can detect. One of the first thing I noticed was it had this certain “crispness.” Most noticeable when you play a chord. You can hear it very clearly in that one demo where the guy with the cheezy morning DJ noodles about with it. Almost like a little internal distortion, or like the sound of a preamp driven really hard. It’s a great sound. My only wish is that they added a multi core option, like RePro. I did have trouble running some of the presets in my older i7 3.4. I will do a proper a/b with OP-X Pro 2 later, if I get some time. This shelter in place has been murder on my ability to play music.

Is it a 1:1 emulation of an OB-Xa? Probably not. I don’t even think that’s possible at the current level of our tech. But I never approach any emulation with that mindset. I just like a synth, or don’t. Will I like it more than the Synapse? Hard to say. If the Synapse OB-Xa is more similar to their Legend, it will lack the modulation options that Arturia always adds to their emulations. They’re pretty damn good, especially if you’re like me and do a lot of ambient music where evolving pads are a must.

So, maybe the Synapse will be closer, but I’ll see your GearSlutz status and raise you a “I’ll buy both.”
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
The new plugs are excellent

Id love if Arturia focused on everything digital, because they really shine...the CZ has totally extinguished any chance of me buying one. Thanks to their dx my dx7 still hasnt been repaired (well that and a little virus going around lol)
Agreed. I really think they’re perfectly positioned to do a Fizmo-ESQ-1 hybrid emulation. I’d poop my pants if they released something like that.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Is it a 1:1 emulation of an OB-Xa? Probably not.
It basically a modernized version with extra modulations, FX, and the xmod from the OB-X.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed. I really think they’re perfectly positioned to do a Fizmo-ESQ-1 hybrid emulation. I’d poop my pants if they released something like that.
even better if they added Mirage/ESQ sampling as well. does Syntaur have rights to the ESQ stuff these days?
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If they release Fizmo, I am not even pausing to buy it. I don't care if the sounds aren't even all that. I just WANT a Fizmo.

FWIW there's some clunky ESQ etc. emulation in MAME.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTK View Post
If they release Fizmo, I am not even pausing to buy it. I don't care if the sounds aren't even all that. I just WANT a Fizmo.
it’s mainly just samples of the original, but UVI has a “Fizmo” (ESQ as well). not the same as a true emulation though.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, maybe the Synapse will be closer, but I’ll see your GearSlutz status and raise you a “I’ll buy both.”

If my price for it was $50, I'd probably get it. As it is, I'm purposefully NOT doing a demo since I'd have to pay $150, at least not doing a demo until the Synapse one is out. I'm trying to not buy both at ~$150 (no price announced yet for Synapse, so just guessing).

Trying.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Proper Arturia OB-Xa thread is here:
Arturia OB-Xa V
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

The demo is far from the sound.This is no good.

I feel that there is not enough sound in the center.

I uninstalled it.It is a waste of time.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Right.
But that can be user error.
Uh... Arturia. Wrote the program. Made the video. Consider your next response carefully...

I've now listened to a few different videos and this plug just doesn't seem to have any weight or stateliness behind it as you would expect from an Obie clone. Nothing I've heard even makes me want to try the demo, let alone rush out and buy it.

Imma go lust after the Microfreak now.
Old 20th May 2020
Deleted a5cda09
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Imma go lust after the Microfreak now.
The MicroFreak is the real deal. Don't let the haters kid you. It punches way above its weight class. You can't beat the modulation possibilities for the price. Arturia hit a home run with that synth. That's why so many of us were disappointed that they haven't followed up on that with a monster freak synth. ARTURIA....ARE YOU LISTENING??? Your customers have spoken. MAKE THE SYNTH WE HAVE ALL BEEN ASKING FOR! Is that too much to ask? Listen to your customers? Its called Business 101.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
The demo is far from the sound.This is no good.

I feel that there is not enough sound in the center.

I uninstalled it.It is a waste of time.
Can’t you pan all voices to the center if you want?
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
for $49 its tempting, I like their new plugs, but Ill end up downloading it to my laptop then never using it

guess I better buy it then
Gotta spend yer money on something.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Pics or it didnt happen.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
Pics or it didnt happen.
Well, when it happens, I’ll PM you the photos. I have a feeling the moderators might not want public posts on their forums.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoneight View Post
Pics or it didnt happen.
There's a great niche market there. Adult diapers themed with your favorite band to poop into when new **** you want drops.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
even better if they added Mirage/ESQ sampling as well. does Syntaur have rights to the ESQ stuff these days?
Not sure. My dream would actually be for a “Ensoniq 3000” that incorporates oscillators from all their instruments, including sample engines. If they can’t get the rights, just change the waveforms enough to not step on legal rights. You’d need the ability to do all the Transwave stuff, including turning a sample into a Transwave made famous by the AR, and have the Hyperwave options. Having some emulations of DP effect algorithms would be necessary as well.

I’m not sure if there’s legal or technical reasons why the above isn’t possible. It sure seems like there’s a pile of money sitting out there that’s just waiting to be scooped up by a developer that’s ready to tackle it. Double bonus if you made it so that it could act as a Fizmo editor. Arturia seems like they’d be perfect for the job, as they’ve already done fantastic versions of the Synclavier II and Fairlight.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear