The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Arturia product coming soon
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm disappointed too, but at least it's affordable. We will get our hardware someday, hopefully soon.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Looking forward to the Synapse version. I'm not a fan of Arturia's VST Synths.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

All the extra OB I need, great! My A6 does Oberheim quite well, this is nice, extra sauce. Thanks, Arturia!
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

In hardware, what I'd love next from Arturia is a Minifreak, this spec: Microfreak, with 49-key polyphonic aftertouch capacitive touch keyboard (possible? Could be electrical limitations), two analogue oscillators a la Minibrute 2, combined with the Microfreak sonic architecture, and maybe a more screamy variant of the original Minibrute Sallen-Key filter on top of the creamy SEM-type one they already have in the Microfreak. With the kind of matrix they feature on the Microfreak, and the sequencer with Slice and Dice options.

That would be awesome, especially if, like the Microfreak, it's at an amazing price!
Old 19th May 2020
Kja
Lives for gear
What a tease..
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Sad trombone
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Would like to see how this compares to the OP-X-PRO II. The Arturia demos for the OBXa-V sound pretty strong and solid. Some of the user YouTube videos sound thin.
Old 19th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
Would like to see how this compares to the OP-X-PRO II. The Arturia demos for the OBXa-V sound pretty strong and solid. Some of the user YouTube videos sound thin.
I downloaded OP-X Pro II but didn't install it. Having watched the news page I did at 7am go from page 1 of Google for Arturia OB-X when they first had the tweet, to being obliterated by countless videos (I am assuming some of those people had beta access)... maybe I will have to accept video after all.

What do people really want in videos? Scope to show if the waves are the same? Recreating the same patch, zero effects? Someone with actual talent (sorry, can't do)? Small mirror with my kindly face gazing back, one assumes at another mirror so I can watch my own reflection as I talk? (I jest. I quite like Cuckoos videos. But anything I do will be about product, not me).

OTOH, I'm still not going to monetise (beyond Amazon affiliate links people can choose to click) and if I do video. I want to be sure no-one ever hears a grammarly advert before a synth demo. Or Squarespace. Or whatever other crap is mindlessly filling YouTube.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

MatrixBrute V ?
Mini Brute V ?
MicroFreak V ?

Interested in them......Full compatibility.....more Polyphonic voices.....
10 years later?

I think Pigments ver.2 are more interesting as software.
Old 19th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpro600k View Post
MatrixBrute V ?
Mini Brute V ?
MicroFreak V ?

Interested in them......Full compatibility.....
10 years later?

I think Pigments ver.2 are more interesting as software.
In the year 2025 (if man is still alive)...

Someone on a synth forum somewhere will be listening to Arturia V Collection X and complaining that Arturia's TAE emulated Microfreak V, produced by the same person who designed the hardware, doesn't sound the same.

Pigments is brilliant.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

I think it's better to apply the Plate reverb to the sound for OB-Xa V.
Attached Thumbnails
New Arturia product coming soon-obxa_v.png  
Old 19th May 2020
M32
Lives for gear

Just watched some demos. While it's got the timbral character, it sounds pretty thin and doesn't seem to have the up-frontness of an analog synth. It pretty much sounds like a 2010-era VST emulation.

*edit* just tried the demo which confirmed my impressions. The filter emulation is awful, even worse than the oscillators.

I'm hoping the Synapse audio one will do better.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

From the Arturia Chatmaster on that YT announcement

Quote:
no, this is a new product, it's not part of the VC7
But it's probably going to be part of VC8 in the future, doesn't make sense still paying twice and ending up with 2 licenses to use 1 product eventually, still perplexed...
Old 19th May 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
Just watched some demos. While it's got the timbral character, it sounds pretty thin and doesn't seem to have the up-frontness of an analog synth. It pretty much sounds like a 2010-era VST emulation.

I'm hoping the Synapse audio one will do better.
So here's a thing; you've got some oscillators, you've got some modeled filters and stuff...

Synapse make Dune. If Oberheim-programming techs had had access to Dune in 1981, they would probably have exploded in excitement, not least because no crappy analogue cables and noise to freak out about.

Why do Synapse need to make an emulation of obsolete tech that will still be an emulation and therefore probably less real than an analogue original?
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

If you set the volume of OB-Xa V to 0db, you can feel rich sound.
It sounds pretty good.

The default setting is -28.6db.
Old 19th May 2020
M32
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTK View Post
So here's a thing; you've got some oscillators, you've got some modeled filters and stuff...

Synapse make Dune. If Oberheim-programming techs had had access to Dune in 1981, they would probably have exploded in excitement, not least because no crappy analogue cables and noise to freak out about.

Why do Synapse need to make an emulation of obsolete tech that will still be an emulation and therefore probably less real than an analogue original?
It doesn't have to be a perfect emulation. It just has to sound good.
This, does not.

And there are software synths i love, that sound great and impress me, so it's certainly not a purist kindof thing.
Old 19th May 2020
M32
Lives for gear

Quote:
It sounds pretty good.
I know this from their other vst's. still meh.

I do like the fact that the oscillator sound changes when you reduce their levels, like how the sound changes when you drive the filter less hard.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It sounds pretty good.

Plus add some bass EQ, around 200Hz. Instant analogue vintage warmth!
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

I think that it will be fun to reproduce the actual size and use it on a large monitor.

It may be fun to output it externally and apply an external effector.

Well, everyone may have experienced.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

The current Arturia effects suites are well worth checking out in concert with this, but the built-in effects are nothing to sneeze at, either.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
From the Arturia Chatmaster on that YT announcement

But it's probably going to be part of VC8 in the future, doesn't make sense still paying twice and ending up with 2 licenses to use 1 product eventually, still perplexed...
Agree, plus I am betting Pigments is in VC8 as well
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear
Probably the demos aren’t good, because it can’t sound so thin an Oberheim emulation...
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Agree, plus I am betting Pigments is in VC8 as well
I'm not sure about them doing that, apart from the once upon a time included Spark, VC is all about vintage emulation(from organs to synths), they may go on to do another modern collection in time that includes Pigments.

I'm not going to buy this seperately, I don't need it. I'm more interested in the Digital Stuff they've done very well so far, personally I'd like stuff like Mirage, Emulator and SQ80 to be done with all the factory sounds/discs etc.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

The demo video mentions a legendary growl machine but the audio has no ‘growl’ , nothing like , for example , korg prophecy / the prodigy style noises

And personally , I recognise the ‘jump’ sound but it doesn’t make me want to buy it, though I’m more of a 90’s idm/electronics fan than 70’s hair rock .
Pigments is more interesting to me.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post

I'm not going to buy this seperately, I don't need it. I'm more interested in the Digital Stuff they've done very well so far, personally I'd like stuff like Mirage, Emulator and SQ80 to be done with all the factory sounds/discs etc.
Right there with you. I recently got the V Collection when it was on sale for $250 a month or so ago. Mainly for the Synclavier, and Fairlight which are AWESOME. I was pleasantly surprised that the DX7 was so good and find the Mellotron to be cool when abused as a lowfi sampler

I would love to see an Emulator V with all the libraries that would be cool

I find the rest of the V collection to be OK. Where I am finding it to be really fun is using it to create patches to use a sample material for the Fairlight or to resynthesize in the Synclavier
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
... Why do Synapse need to make an emulation of obsolete tech that will still be an emulation and therefore probably less real than an analogue original?
So a few dorks can play ‘Jump’, of course.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Right there with you. I recently got the V Collection when it was on sale for $250 a month or so ago. Mainly for the Synclavier, and Fairlight which are AWESOME. I was pleasantly surprised that the DX7 was so good and find the Mellotron to be cool when abused as a lowfi sampler

I would love to see an Emulator V with all the libraries that would be cool

I find the rest of the V collection to be OK. Where I am finding it to be really fun is using it to create patches to use a sample material for the Fairlight or to resynthesize in the Synclavier
I'll have to look into the Synclavier more, only tried it once, thought it was just the FM part. Yeah, the CMI V is great and the other stuff, Arturia on the whole are making great headway. It's a great collection.

I think though with Sonic Projects, OBXd, Synapse, Aly James lab and any other I might of missed they between them keep doing the same stuff, maybe they all think they can do it better - I dunno, I say do stuff the competitors haven't already done that is missing from the VST market.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear
Tried the demo. The template sounds a bit weak, as expected.
But like most of Arturia's stuff a little tweaking can bring stuff out.

Made a 15 second mp3 (hurry-up mode) of the first seq. program with a couple tweaks, before the demo time expired.
I think it could sound pretty good with a little time sunk into it.
Attached Files

OBX-arp - Copy.mp3 (254.5 KB, 1064 views)

Old 19th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet View Post
Arturia stuff all sounds the same

for $49 its tempting, I like their new plugs, but Ill end up downloading it to my laptop then never using it

guess I better buy it then
Old 19th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
A new pleasure! A new pleasure!

Very quick play with the demo of OB-Xa (can't afford to get the upgrade until payday at least); warm and vicious and pretty impressive. I like it more than OB-Xd, but OB-Xd is kinda raw compared to the way Arturia delivers things.
I'll check it out, no doubt.

I just watched a Starsky Carr shoot-out video. I love that guy's stuff. What struck me was how utterly different all the Oberheim emulations stood out and there often was no clear winner. Not that I could discern, anyway.
📝 Reply