The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TR-8 7X7 upgrade last call
Old 12th May 2020
Lives for gear

TR-8 7X7 upgrade last call

Just a little heads up, Roland's Content Store is going down:
Notice (May 12, 2020)

End of sales of 7X7-TR8 Drum Machine Expansion for TR-8

Sales of the 7X7-TR8 Drum Machine Expansion for the TR-8 will conclude at the end of July 2020. Although you can still purchase from Roland Content Store until the end of July 2020, activation on your TR-8 unit must be completed within 30 days after purchase.

~~~~

Sales of plug-in software products moved to Roland Cloud

Sales of the following plug-in software products have been moved to Roland Cloud .
  • SYSTEM-1 Software Synthesizer
  • SYSTEM-100 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer
  • SH-101 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer
  • SH-2 PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer
  • PROMARS PLUG-OUT Software Synthesizer
  • SOUND Canvas VA
The licenses of these products (including download tickets) already purchased from the Roland Content Store or musical instrument shops will continue to be supported by Roland Account Service
So if you want 7X7 on your TR-8 it's soon or never.

They've revamped the Cloud BTW.
Old 12th May 2020
Lives for gear

I would hedge a bet they will never offer another add on for the TR8 now then.
Old 12th May 2020
Lives for gear

I've played around with the idea of purchasing the 7x7 upgrade for my TR-8 several times but always say "heck no!!" every time I go to the website and see how much they are charging for the upgrade. I just don't think it's worth it. All this here does if fuel my GAS for the much superior TR-8S.

Now if Roland reduces the price of the 7x7 upgrade to around $30-$50 (optimum price would probably be $35) then perhaps it would be worth considering. Since they are about to discontinue it, I think it would make since for them to lower the price, which would definitely overall increase sales. Chances are, that's never gonna happen though.
Old 12th May 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah, they should at least do a sale on this, urgency + lower price is a great way to shift units. Now's their last chance to convince people to jump in.
Old 13th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cake100 View Post
I would hedge a bet they will never offer another add on for the TR8 now then.
i'd agree that they should at least offer a discount, but i'm not sure why you expect another "add-on" for a product that was discontinued over two years ago.
Old 16th May 2020
Here for the gear
Thank you for posting this @ ToyBox ! Always wanted to get the expansion but never got to it. Bought it last night and it's awesome.

Although I feel a little bit robbed by Roland for paying 100 bucks to unlock a bunch of samples (ok, ACB models) that were already present in the machine. Could have flipped that bit myself with some incantations and telekinesis.
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

The MC307 is cheap, has 707 samples (and most of the other Roland drums, like the DR110/505/626 etc), you can run them through ringmod/booster/FXM (which is particularly cool, for Fm sounding drums) and won’t need you to buy into some kind of slavish deal with your overloads that could sour at any moment.
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Using MIDI/other machines ain't the same as having built-in. Can't really take advantage of TR-8's main attraction with those, which is its workflow.

7X7 more than doubles the amount of sounds you can play with (people tend to forget that it also includes 606 and some extra 808/909 sounds), and adds some slight sequencing improvements (909's flam/accent, 7x7 alternate sounds/two sounds on one track). The number of new possible combinations is pretty huge.

If one likes what the TR-8 does but wants more than the stock sounds this is a pretty effective upgrade. As popular as 808 and 909 are they still offer a very limited palette. 7X7 looks like a small bunch of expensive "samples" but it's actually way more than that.
Old 18th May 2020
Here for the gear

Would be really cool if Roland would give a nice discount on this. For example Waldorf just offered their Blofeld sample license for 20e instead of the ~100e it was costing earlier.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Got a good deal on a secondhand in mint condition Tr-8 last month and did the upgrade today...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwippie View Post
Thank you for posting this @ ToyBox ! Always wanted to get the expansion but never got to it. Bought it last night and it's awesome.

Although I feel a little bit robbed by Roland for paying 100 bucks to unlock a bunch of samples (ok, ACB models) that were already present in the machine. Could have flipped that bit myself with some incantations and telekinesis.
The sound were not already in the machine IMO. When I installed the 7X7 update a moving wave file appeared on my PC screen with a 707 drum name, like a glitch but definitely saw this moving WAV file appear for a second or so. So I reckon they were just a bunch of WAVs of 707/727 getting copied across and the ACB part of those was just an emulation of how the OG processed(affected?) those sounds.

I think the value of TR8 second-hand will be higher with those sounds on-board.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can anyone tell me the prices off the system 1 plug outs.. I've been thinking off getting a system 1 for years but I've never seen how much the plug outs are.. Also do u still get a free plug out if u buy system 1?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
Can anyone tell me the prices off the system 1 plug outs.. I've been thinking off getting a system 1 for years but I've never seen how much the plug outs are..
$99-149 each (they used to be more).

Quote:
... Also do u still get a free plug out if u buy system 1?
nope.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can anyone tell me the prices off the system 1 plug outs.. I've been thinking off getting a system 1 for years but I've never seen how much the plug outs are.. Also do u still get a free plug out if u buy system 1?
They've moved(moving?) at the minute everything to Roland Cloud, think they are about 99 dollars. The SH-101 was only free for a while, tricky time to buy one new hoping for a free plug out now the content store is done if a card is still in the box for the freebie. You'd be better speaking to Roland themselves.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info I'm gutted you don't get the sh101 with system 1
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best bet is buy secondhand and ask the seller to plug out the SH-101 to it, you won't get the Vst but you'll have it in the hardware, ask sellers if possible upfront before purchase though. If you want the Vst too - it's Cloud only going forward.

If you're buying new best speak to Roland, their still may be the SH-101 card in the box, so ask if so do they still honour it if included? It would probably have to be old stock to include the card.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post

I think the value of TR8 second-hand will be higher with those sounds on-board.

Yep and the Tr-8 units without the upgrade will drop in price, because it won't ever be possible anymore to do the upgrade...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

screw Roland. they should at least put it on sale

I'll put that money towards a Behringer 909 instead
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
Yep and the Tr-8 units without the upgrade will drop in price, because it won't ever be possible anymore to do the upgrade...
Not a nice move from Roland, intentionally crippling the secondhand TR-8 market to push TR8S sales I bet.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
screw Roland. they should at least put it on sale

I'll put that money towards a Behringer 909 instead
I was thinking the same, but after the Midi sync problems of the Behringer 808 I am not sure anymore if I will go that route. Also, I got really used to the TR-8 and love the stepped effects. I might just bite the bullet and get the upgrade. But I think it is pricey.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have the TR8 and it's the only modern Roland gear I won. I cannot see me ever buying Roland products again.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the TR8 and it's the only modern Roland gear I won. I cannot see me ever buying Roland products again.
your loss.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Would never say never, Roland is what it is, we are all not happy with the way they do things, but it is a name that not will go away, who knows what they come up next with...
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
It's a promotional item from 6 years ago!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where did you win it?

Last edited by breakmixer; 1 week ago at 09:39 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hmm... maybe the price of stock TR-8s will fall so much that I can grab one... I can do TR-707 sounds just fine using my ESI-2000.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I wonder why Roland does this. It's a downloadable file and not a "real" device that goes out of production. Seems very strange and customer unfriendly.
I sold my TR-8 but still have the upgrade file on my computer. Maybe it will be a rare item in the future. "Rare vintage upgrade file for sale!"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAbLeHeAd View Post
I wonder why Roland does this. It's a downloadable file and not a "real" device that goes out of production. Seems very strange and customer unfriendly.
I sold my TR-8 but still have the upgrade file on my computer. Maybe it will be a rare item in the future. "Rare vintage upgrade file for sale!"
Give it time until someone figures out how to hack it and then you can add in any sounds you want. lol
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You have to use it now within a month of purchase then it will self destruct(it does a server handshake I think), so they've covered that angle - you won't be able to upgrade further TR-8 in the future with that file.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
To cripple the non 7X7 upgraded secondhand TR-8 market, less competition for the Tr8s new market for those that want TR-7X7 sounds.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear