The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TR-8 7X7 upgrade last call
Old 1 week ago
  #31
I hate the thought that there could be a bunch of non-upgraded machines out there in 20 years time. I hope at some stage (like in 5 years time) they just make it freely available on the web.
Old 1 week ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 

its good business, these days bean counters hate seeing 10,15, 20, 30+ yr old gear still having value.

no ones using a 2010-20 roland gear in 20-30 yrs time, like we are using thier old gear now..
Old 1 week ago
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAbLeHeAd View Post
I wonder why Roland does this. It's a downloadable file and not a "real" device that goes out of production. Seems very strange and customer unfriendly.
I sold my TR-8 but still have the upgrade file on my computer. Maybe it will be a rare item in the future. "Rare vintage upgrade file for sale!"
Mmm. It's clear they don't want to give it away, and I'm guessing they don't think it's worth the trouble of adding it to the Cloud support and sales service.

The availability of new TR-8 seems to be going down, so they may be discontinuing it soon. There can't be that many people left interested in 7X7.
Old 6 days ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
Roland should do a last update adding the expansion for free. I had a TR-8, added the update, sold it for a TR8s which I then sold... a pity to have a TR-8 today and soon not be able to get the update.
Old 6 days ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Klankdroid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Roland should do a last update adding the expansion for free. I had a TR-8, added the update, sold it for a TR8s which I then sold... a pity to have a TR-8 today and soon not be able to get the update.

Yep, otherwise the 7x7 updated tr-8 will become limited editions....
Old 6 days ago
  #36
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
it's not like there isn't a ton of other gear out there that they owners never bought upgrades/expansions for.
Old 6 days ago
  #37
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
I got the drum expansion a month or so ago, I bought the System 100 plug out/in ages ago but can only use it in Ableton as it's VST 3 only Reason doesn't support VST 3 yet as far as I know but I wish it did that plug in is mental sounding.
Old 6 days ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby View Post
Would be really cool if Roland would give a nice discount on this. For example Waldorf just offered their Blofeld sample license for 20e instead of the ~100e it was costing earlier.
Where ?
It is 100 euros on their site
Old 6 days ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I got the drum expansion a month or so ago, I bought the System 100 plug out/in ages ago but can only use it in Ableton as it's VST 3 only Reason doesn't support VST 3 yet as far as I know but I wish it did that plug in is mental sounding.
the only Roland plugin that is "VST3 only" is ZENOLOGY, all others have VST2.4 versions. (unless maybe on Mac? is that the problem?)
Old 6 days ago
  #40
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
the only Roland plugin that is "VST3 only" is ZENOLOGY, all others have VST2.4 versions. (unless maybe on Mac? is that the problem?)
yup..
Old 6 days ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
your loss.
because why?

he cant buy other gear?

he wont make a hit?

he wont enjoy making music?

can you give ONE solid reason?

(other than your personal fanboism)
Old 6 days ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
it's not like there isn't a ton of other gear out there that they owners never bought upgrades/expansions for.
oh ship man are you really comparing a mostly hardware upgrade with a software?

see my post above

'we' get it you adore roland..
Old 6 days ago
  #43
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
because why?

he cant buy other gear?

he wont make a hit?

he wont enjoy making music?

can you give ONE solid reason?

(other than your personal fanboism)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
oh ship man are you really comparing a mostly hardware upgrade with a software?

see my post above

'we' get it you adore roland..
lol @ "he won't make a hit?"

i haven't cared about anything Roland has made in the past 20+ years until just recently, but they've made some great stuff recently and who knows what they might come out with in the future. there's not much "other gear" that does what some of their stuff does so well. can't think of much "other gear" that made me think "damn, gotta have that thing" like some recent Roland stuff, but even those aren't perfect. but yeah, i "adore" the fact that they've come out with some gear that i've been waiting over twenty years for them to make.

this would be like me saying "i won't buy anything more" from Elektron or Clavia/Nord. who knows what they'll do in the future and who really cares if i don't? all this fashionable boycott posturing that people have started to pull over the past few years is ridiculous, same with all the NI haters. their reasoning is almost always bull**** and nobody gives a damn what they think anyway. it usually says more about them than it does the company they're against.

yeah, there's not much difference between a TR-8 without the 7x7 expansion and an MPC or E-mu sampler without the output or fx upgrades. you could buy these separately (which they won't be able to do with the TR-8), but it's usually better to just buy one that already has it. plenty of other stuff that it's almost impossible to find upgrades/expansions for if they don't already have them.
Old 6 days ago
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Roland should take a page from Zoom's customer service manual.

When Zoom discontinued the Multistomps (MS-50G, MS-70CDR, MS-100BT) they opened up every effects algorithm and made them available for the lowest model (50G). Previously these effects were either exclusive to the CDR or were for purchase-download for the Bluetooth model.

Now that was an unexpected gift!

edit: looks like the MS-50G and MS-70CDR are still available. Saves you the trouble of tracking down a cheap second hand 50G.
Old 5 days ago
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Klankdroid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Roland should take a page from Zoom's customer service manual.

When Zoom discontinued the Multistomps (MS-50G, MS-70CDR, MS-100BT) they opened up every effects algorithm and made them available for the lowest model (50G). Previously these effects were either exclusive to the CDR or were for purchase-download for the Bluetooth model.

Now that was an unexpected gift!

edit: looks like the MS-50G and MS-70CDR are still available. Saves you the trouble of tracking down a cheap second hand 50G.
Roland only cares for our money and how to make us get rid of it....
Old 5 days ago
  #46
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
yup..
what about AU? looks like it didn't support that on release, but does now.
Old 5 days ago
  #47
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
Not a nice move from Roland, intentionally crippling the secondhand TR-8 market to push TR8S sales I bet.
Yeah. It seems like they keep doubling down on the Cloud subscription model, while backing away from long-term support of hardware.

I wonder what products are big sellers for Roland. Maybe most of their customer base uses gear as ephemeral toys and doesn’t care when support for a product dissolves. This approach must be driving away older customers, repeat buyers—but maybe that doesn’t affect sales much.
Old 5 days ago
  #48
Gear Addict
 
Mortal Engines's Avatar
 

I think that they're pushing all of their Aira content to the cloud. Call it a hunch, but even if their webstore closes all of the Aira plug-outs will remain available up there. I guess it makes sense (to them). Why have two servers handling the same content? They've altered their cloud pricing too. I actually sold my System-1, TB-3, and TR-8 last month. The System-1 had the Sh-101 loaded, and I guess the License is still good as long as it stays in the unit (not my problem anymore). I never bought any of the other plug-outs. I always felt like Roland were nickel-diming me after shelling out close to $1300 bucks for their flashy plastic things (they all did sound good though). They never offered specials on them after the initial introductory period. The cloud went up roughly a year later. Maybe that's why.

Last edited by Mortal Engines; 5 days ago at 10:34 PM..
Old 5 days ago
  #49
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
what about AU? looks like it didn't support that on release, but does now.
Reason only recently started to support VST, remember it was a walled garden forever.
Old 5 days ago
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
VST3 support and multichannel VST MIDI support is what I'm waiting for with Reason. For now I don't have much reason (lol) to upgrade my version 10 to 11.
Old 5 days ago
  #51
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Reason only recently started to support VST, remember it was a walled garden forever.
Right, but it now supports AU, though it was only VST3 when they launched the plugin rack thing. Why not use AU if you’re on Mac?
Old 5 days ago
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
Right, but it now supports AU, though it was only VST3 when they launched the plugin rack thing. Why not use AU if you’re on Mac?
The Reason Rack Plugin... I'm sure the Reason DAW (the only type of Reason I care about) still only supports VST2.
Old 5 days ago
  #53
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
The Reason Rack Plugin... I'm sure the Reason DAW (the only type of Reason I care about) still only supports VST2.
huh? the Reason Rack plugin is what you use to run plugins inside Reason (which is what he’s looking to do with the Roland plugins) and only supports VST3/AU/AAX on Mac. i think? Reason IS his DAW.

EDIT: sorry, i might be a bit off here. either way, i don’t see why he couldn’t run the Roland plugins as AU instead of VST3.

Last edited by jbuonacc; 5 days ago at 02:30 AM..
Old 5 days ago
  #54
Gear Nut
I have a vintage TR8 with the 7x7 expansion. Who wants to start me off at 5k?
Old 5 days ago
  #55
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
huh? the Reason Rack plugin is what you use to run plugins inside Reason (which is what he’s looking to do with the Roland plugins) and only supports VST3/AU/AAX on Mac. i think? Reason IS his DAW.

EDIT: sorry, i might be a bit off here. either way, i don’t see why he couldn’t run the Roland plugins as AU instead of VST3.
Where did you see AU plug ins can be loaded in Reason..? as far as I'm aware it's vst2 and vst2.4 only at this point..? When installing plug ins I only ever install the VST versions I never install the AU versions as I don't use garage band or Logic. The only folder Reason looks at for plug ins is the VST one..?
Old 5 days ago
  #56
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Where did you see AU plug ins can be loaded in Reason..? as far as I'm aware it's vst2 and vst2.4 only at this point..? When installing plug ins I only ever install the VST versions I never install the AU versions as I don't use garage band or Logic. The only folder Reason looks at for plug ins is the VST one..?
sorry. i don't understand how they wouldn't make it possible to load AU's in the Mac version (wtf?), but it looks like you're right.

if you'd like, you can try this:

https://kushview.net/
https://github.com/kushview/Element

it's a free "modular plugin host" that will bridge AU/VST2/VST3. you should be able to install the VST2 version on your Mac (depending on your OS, i guess) and load the Roland VST3's into that. i recently used this to run VST3 inside Ableton Live 9 on Windows, which doesn't work with VST3 itself (this was introduced in Live 10). i think this should work for you (??).
Old 5 days ago
  #57
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
sorry. i don't understand how they wouldn't make it possible to load AU's in the Mac version (wtf?), but it looks like you're right.

if you'd like, you can try this:

https://kushview.net/
https://github.com/kushview/Element

it's a free "modular plugin host" that will bridge AU/VST2/VST3. you should be able to install the VST2 version on your Mac (depending on your OS, i guess) and load the Roland VST3's into that. i recently used this to run VST3 inside Ableton Live 9 on Windows, which doesn't work with VST3 itself (this was introduced in Live 10). i think this should work for you (??).
yes wrappers, can't be arsed to be honest. I know people use them but I can't be bothered, it's just frustrating it's not VST 2 I mean what would be reasoning to release a plug in/out as VST 3 only, seemed really daft to me at the time when most plug ins were VST 2. I can use the System 100 plug in with Ableton but I rarely use Ableton even though I have the full suite I always default to my fav Reason as it's like so easy and all my templates are there.
Old 5 days ago
  #58
Lives for gear
 
Rogue Ai's Avatar
I tried using the Jbridge wrapper in Reason so I could use all of my old 32bit plugins but it runs like ass even though I have a beast of a PC with 32GB RAM and a Hex core i7 *700k at 4.8 GHz... ugh.
Old 4 days ago
  #59
Gear Addict
 
kAbLeHeAd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
You have to use it now within a month of purchase then it will self destruct(it does a server handshake I think), so they've covered that angle - you won't be able to upgrade further TR-8 in the future with that file.
What? That's even more crazy. Why is Roland so mean? What have we customers done to them to treat us this way?
We probably didn't buy enough Roland gear recently.
Old 4 days ago
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Klankdroid's Avatar
 

We have now officialy gone into the last month of the legendary 7x7 upgrade pack for the Tr-8, on the 31 of july we should do something special to salute a goodbye... but for now try to upgrade as many Tr-8 as possible...
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump