The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
QasarBeach - recreation of the Fairlight CMI IIx. [Win, Mac and Linux]
Old 6 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
Ok, that is your choice
For anyone with an open mind, who doesn’t want to set up a dedicated computer just to be a Fairlight emulator, (does it emulate the analog filters? The Arturia version does a great job in this respect.) I highly recommend the plugin. I know they cut out things, like the ability to sample, that didn’t make sense to include within a DAW, but to call it a “sound module” is ignorant. Maybe you’re thinking of the iPhone app. I bring it up because someone like Xanderbeanz would be able to get a bit of Fairlight II vibe without having to buy his 11th computer. I find the resynthesis and additive to be really fun to work with and their provide awesome results. You can pick up an old Wacom if you really want to get the “light pen” experience, though you’ll have to fashion some sort of cable to attach the stylus.
Old 5 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I can’t actually do it. Buy a computer just to run a piece of software that looks cool. I have enough computers
owning an an uncanny valley version of the original Failight, is not something which should so quickly passed over. with that rig, we could reenact the original appearance on Tomorrows world. it could be like messing with the fabric time in two different ways. I’d probably watch every episode.
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
For anyone with an open mind, who doesn’t want to set up a dedicated computer just to be a Fairlight emulator
You seem to be mistaken. This does not NEED a dedicated computer. The discussion earlier was around the idea of creating an authentic experience of using the original CMI by aquiring a touchscreen computer and stylus, but that is by no means a requirement.
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
owning an an uncanny valley version of the original Failight, is not something which should so quickly passed over. with that rig, we could reenact the original appearance on Tomorrows world. it could be like messing with the fabric time in two different ways. I’d probably watch every episode.
Are we going into some kind of YouTube partnership now by the way?

PS I found the computer for slightly cheaper on their eBay account.
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvshpr View Post
This emulates the workflow of the CMI rather than the sound, right?
Both, sound and workflow, while most emulations only want to throw a ball with the sounds...
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
You seem to be mistaken. This does not NEED a dedicated computer. The discussion earlier was around the idea of creating an authentic experience of using the original CMI by aquiring a touchscreen computer and stylus, but that is by no means a requirement.
What I mean is that it doesn’t integrate with your DAW application, so unless it does something like Ableton Link, you’ll need a second computer to run it. Touchscreen monitors, especially not multitouch compatible are pretty common, but frankly, I find that to be a bit gimmicky in practice. Fun for stuff like Omnisphere’s Orb controller page, but a trackball or trackpad works better for most purposes.
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
For anyone with an open mind, who doesn’t want to set up a dedicated computer just to be a Fairlight emulator, (does it emulate the analog filters? The Arturia version does a great job in this respect.) I highly recommend the plugin. I know they cut out things, like the ability to sample, that didn’t make sense to include within a DAW, but to call it a “sound module” is ignorant. Maybe you’re thinking of the iPhone app. I bring it up because someone like Xanderbeanz would be able to get a bit of Fairlight II vibe without having to buy his 11th computer. I find the resynthesis and additive to be really fun to work with and their provide awesome results. You can pick up an old Wacom if you really want to get the “light pen” experience, though you’ll have to fashion some sort of cable to attach the stylus.
+1
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequadix View Post
+1
I do sort of think that things like this are cool but I also know that all design comes with compromise. They make the original with the best that existed at the time, but that doesn’t mean they’d make the same choices today. I’m sort of a “spare me the labor pains and give me the baby” kind of guy. If something can provide the essence of an instrument and discard the awkward or unnecessary bits, I’m all for it. Whatever was left out of CMI V is more than made up for by a seamless integration into a complete studio environment. Of course, that’s just my opinion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search