The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
QasarBeach - recreation of the Fairlight CMI IIx. [Win, Mac and Linux]
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

But you can run other software on it too. I was thinking maybe a software emu emulator too and maybe a couple of others.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Nah, it’s too much
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I can’t actually do it. Buy a computer just to run a piece of software that looks cool. I have enough computers
You could run QasarBeach and Audioterm....

Then you would bascially have a CMI Fairlight and a PPG Waveterm.

"I have enough computers" < Please mention one digital synthesizer, which is not computer based?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

1.23 now uploaded to itchi.io gonna download and report back
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
1.23 now uploaded to itchi.io gonna download and report back
I think the developer has done a phenomenal job. I could part with cash.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Ver 1.23 Update (23 May 2020)

note velocity KEYVEL now received from MIDI
PAGE R now respects incomming MIDI velocity and sets the vol/keyvol for the note
minor mod to .wav wavetable loading
added lfo and subvoice support to new numpad editing
Extended numpad keys+enter now supported
fixed loading of .in fies where loops sounded wrong on import
PAGE 7 - added 'SAVE IN VC' to top table
PAGE E - REFLECT moved from left ot right side
PAGE E - Added SET LOOP to right side
PAGE E - Added AUTO XF to left side
PAGE E - Added X FADE to right side
PAGE E - visual of loop and xfade added to waveform view as in documentation
PAGE E - SET LOOP operational
PAGE E - XFADE operational
PAGE E - added VIEW: START END to top UI
PAGE E - when clicked and held down with mouse the start or end segment is displayed. This allows you to check the exact contents and is great for merge and cutting
new midi with updated linux and pi core
peliminary IIx .RS loading added
preliminary ios .RS loading added
initial IIx .IN loading added
PAGE 2 Loaded IIx .IN will report missing voices - these need to be in the same folder as the .IN
PAGE 2 missing .IN files now remain visible when changing to other folders
PAGE 2 can detect missing .VC files in new folder when .IN has missing files
PAGE 2 missing .IN files can now be 'ignored' IGNORE FILES added to UI
PAGE 2 RELOAD added to UI for use with missing .IN files
PAGE 2 Reloading of missing files now operational
PAGE 7 Names of loaded 1234.co files are now displayed in header
PAGE 2 better display of loaded/available voices
PAGE 2 IIx .CO loading added
PAGE 7 RELEASE ECHO renamed to DAMPING ECHO
PAGE 7 original IIx DAMPING in .VC and .CO files now rerouted to DAMPING
CHO (formally RELEASE ECHO)
PAGE 7 voice RESET help text corrected

Link:
https://adamstrange.itch.io/qasarbeach

Community:
Facebook group -> QasarBeach
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
You could run QasarBeach and Audioterm....

Then you would bascially have a CMI Fairlight and a PPG Waveterm.

"I have enough computers" < Please mention one digital synthesizer, which is not computer based?
I do love Audioterm!

But I actually do have enough computers, over 10
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I still cannot get this to work under linux. Still does not scan midi so unable to use. Running windows version in wine is not very good so cannot really use that either.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I still cannot get this to work under linux. Still does not scan midi so unable to use. Running windows version in wine is not very good so cannot really use that either.
Did you report it to the developer?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did you report it to the developer?
Yes reported to developer. Unfortunately I think I'm gonna have to now pass on this now as it's not gonna work for me.
I think it might have to do with linux dependencies that are not resolved. I'm also giving up on linux as it's far too complicated. I dont have time to mess around trying to get things working, I need to be able to plug n play both hardware and software but linux is not like that and finally, trying to get this working today has resulted in me accidentally braking my OS so I need to format the hd and reinstall.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes reported to developer. Unfortunately I think I'm gonna have to now pass on this now as it's not gonna work for me.
I think it might have to do with linux dependencies that are not resolved. I'm also giving up on linux as it's far too complicated. I dont have time to mess around trying to get things working, I need to be able to plug n play both hardware and software but linux is not like that and finally, trying to get this working today has resulted in me accidentally braking my OS so I need to format the hd and reinstall.
From your first post I was going to advise you were on a hiding to nothing with Linux and audio, unless you're doing the coding yourself.

If you want a cheap stand-alone, get a cheap licence for Windows7 64bit and use that - will be rock solid as a stand-alone instrument!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Yeah I've had it with linux now. I thought it might have been down to linux mint so I tried to install avlinux. This did not give me the option of installing alongside mint so was going to completely replace it. The computer froze wiping both hard drive and usb drive so tried to reinstall mint but the hard drive is now fubar. Left me with a computer with no os and unable to install an os. My only option with this computer is to replace the hd. So yeah I'm done with linux. I just hope my monitor still works after being kicked off the desk.
My only real option at this point is a new computer.
It's nice that linux is free but I just need something that works out of the box and not have to faff around with trying to track down dependencies etc. Linux is for computer programmers, not for users.
Sorry if I seem a bit grumpy but I've been f***ing around trying to get my computer working for most of today. Complete waste of time
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Just to reiterate, the problem I have is with linux and not quasarbeach.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Can somebody please explain how to run it on windows 7? I downloaded and unpacked QasarBeachWin123. qasarbeach.exe doesn't work at all.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticman View Post
Can somebody please explain how to run it on windows 7? I downloaded and unpacked QasarBeachWin123. qasarbeach.exe doesn't work at all.
Is it 64 bit Windows 7? It needs to be 64 bit.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
What kind of error, do you get when you try to run qasarbeach.exe ?

Im using Windows 10, 64-bit.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Is it 64 bit Windows 7? It needs to be 64 bit.
Quote:
What kind of error, do you get when you try to run qasarbeach.exe ?

Im using Windows 10, 64-bit.
Ah, my bad. It's strange but just tried to start it as an administrator and it runs.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Ah, my bad. It's strange but just tried to start it as an administrator and it runs.
No problem friend!
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Watched the vid above with English subtitles. Some of those translations
You're not kidding. Wtf are 'volume sprinkles'?
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Guru

Seems a long way around the block when there’s CMI V available. Add Synclavier V, CZ V and DX7 V and it’s 1983!
Old 16 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Seems a long way around the block when there’s CMI V available. Add Synclavier V, CZ V and DX7 V and it’s 1983!
Where do you see the authentic spirit of CMI Fairlight IIX as workstation and not only a sound module with top 100 sounds of famous Fairlight users in Arturia CMI V?

Additional question:
Where is page A on Arturia CMI V?
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Read my previous post. I'm trying to run it on a linux machine. I also have a mac that runs it no problem. It's the linux machine that is the issue.
Midisupport is not implemented in the current linux version (1.23) . So it's neither your fault nor that of linux.
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumfix View Post
Midisupport is not implemented in the current linux version (1.23) . So it's neither your fault nor that of linux.
as mentioned by the developer on the webpage approx. 21 hours ago, just to get the full perspective:

AdamStrange 21 hours ago
Quote:
"I'm running linux as a virtual machine here, so testing has not been strictly on a linux machine.

Midi is still very primitive, it's the next item on my list "
Webpage:
https://adamstrange.itch.io/qasarbeach
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I've had it with linux now. I thought it might have been down to linux mint so I tried to install avlinux. This did not give me the option of installing alongside mint so was going to completely replace it. The computer froze wiping both hard drive and usb drive so tried to reinstall mint but the hard drive is now fubar. Left me with a computer with no os and unable to install an os. My only option with this computer is to replace the hd. So yeah I'm done with linux. I just hope my monitor still works after being kicked off the desk.
My only real option at this point is a new computer.
It's nice that linux is free but I just need something that works out of the box and not have to faff around with trying to track down dependencies etc. Linux is for computer programmers, not for users.
Sorry if I seem a bit grumpy but I've been f***ing around trying to get my computer working for most of today. Complete waste of time
Matt, you can’t trash a hard drive like that - it’s a configuration error - don’t bin it! Ask for help
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Where do you see the authentic spirit of CMI Fairlight IIX as workstation and not only a sound module with top 100 sounds of famous Fairlight users in Arturia CMI V?

Additional question:
Where is page A on Arturia CMI V?
CMI V isn’t a sound module with 100 sounds. I don’t know what “page A” is (sorry, I didn’t have the $35,000 to buy one back in the day and my boss was a Synclavier II user, hell, I had to do a coop buy for my Juno 106!) but I encourage you to download the free demo and find out what CMI V actually is. It’s very good.
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
CMI V isn’t a sound module with 100 sounds. I don’t know what “page A” is (sorry, I didn’t have the $75,000 to buy one back in the day and my boss was a Synclavier II user) but I encourage you to download the free demo and find out what CMI V actually is. It’s very good.
Ok, that is your choice

Last edited by teevee; 9 hours ago at 02:47 PM.. Reason: nothing
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

This is pretty cool! I have several CMI apps, sitting front of a floppy-less* CMI would be fun.

*-floppys are too slow.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

I'm sorted. Ditched linux and followed @ usedtohaveajuno 's advice. I have installed windows 10 and it now all works. Now to find some other stuff to put on there. thanks all
Old 8 hours ago
Gear Maniac

This emulates the workflow of the CMI rather than the sound, right?
Old 8 hours ago

Works really well with touchscreen, you can just draw edits with your finger

I have the Arturia version which is excellent but this is really cool too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search