The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In praise of the Rev2
Old 9th May 2020
Lives for gear

In praise of the Rev2

I decided to follow Special Agent Dale Cooper's advice and get myself a present. I had been wanting to upgrade from my Minilogue to a bigger, badder polysynth for some time, so when I found a good deal on a b-stock 8-voice Prophet 08 Rev2, I pulled the trigger. It showed up a couple weeks ago. Imagine my surprise when not only did it appear to be spotless and completely as new, it turned out to be the 16-voice model instead of the 8-voice I had ordered. A good deal instantly became a screaming deal.

I've read plenty of pooh-poohing of the Rev2, but it has been putting a smile on my face ever since I played the first chord on the default factory preset. A lot of the presets are cheesy, of course, and I imagine if I played it next to a Prophet 6 or an OB-6 or whatever, it would fall a little flat. Who cares? Considering its price point, it is a truly wonderful synth with limitless sonic possibilities. As somebody who can't even really play keys and just likes to dabble and noodle, it's probably more synth than I deserve. But I love it, and it's a keeper. Thank you, Dave Smith, for designing an instrument this nice that I can afford to own.

Now, back to fumbling my way through Gary Numan's "Films".
Old 9th May 2020
Gear Nut

I recently bought this sound set and it feels like owning a completely new synth.

http://www.lukeneptune.com/downloads...dset-dsi-rev2/
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Its new price is way high for what it offers.

Not that it’s alone in that. And if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks.
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

All of the b-stock/demo units/returned items I've ever bought have been practically MINT. Always been a great choice for a good discount.
Old 10th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
All of the b-stock/demo units/returned items I've ever bought have been practically MINT. Always been a great choice for a good discount.
I got an “open box” REV2 16 voice model that had a bad screen (vertical line that never went away). I returned it, and although they showed they still had “open box” deals, they said they didn’t and offered me a new one. So I yelled a lot via email until they “found” another return to sell me for the same deal. It came factory sealed.
Old 10th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp View Post
I decided to follow Special Agent Dale Cooper's advice

Quote:
I've read plenty of pooh-poohing of the Rev2
F those people. Here’s my guess. They initialize a patch and listen to the naked sawtooth of it’s DCOs. They’re pretty sterile and the filter opens straight up, which the Prophet 5’s did not without extra modulation. Anyway, the 08 is not really what one would call a juicy sound at that point, so they more or less stop listening. They spend the rest of the demo looking for that juice that’s never there and missing the juice that is there. It doesn’t pop out with it’s booty out all a shaken. You have to take it out, show it some sweetness, coax it, tease it. It’s like finding that place on a clutch where you just shift. At first it seems like it’s not there, and then it’s like you can’t imagine having missed it. There is is. It pops and sizzles, but you can get warmth out of it as well. I’ve got several analog polys and it’s definitely got a permanent home here. It’s part of a complete breakfast.
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Most open box have nothing wrong with them, they're just the ones that people take back after buying 2 similar things, evaluating them for a couple of days and deciding to keep the other one.

I also don't agree with people saying the Rev2 is bad against a P6 or OB6, they're just different.

Congrats.
Old 10th May 2020
Gear Maniac

i fully share your experience. ok, i didn't get such a good deal, but i still got one with the old price before it went up 2 days after ordering. the rev2 stands here since thursday and i absolutely love it
Old 10th May 2020
Gear Guru

Congrats on the extra 8 voices that's awesome, you obviously had some good karma coming your way, either that or it's a test of your honesty..
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Congrats on the extra 8 voices that's awesome, you obviously had some good karma coming your way, either that or it's a test of your honesty..
I would feel a bit guilty about that, but i think i would keep it if it was from some big seller with professional trained employees, not from some poor starving granma who doesn't know what she is selling after her husband died.
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I would feel a bit guilty about that, but i think i would keep it if it was from some big seller with fprofessional trained employees, not from some poor starving granma who doesn't know what she is selling after her husband died.
It's a tough decision. I wouldn't know what I'm doing. But I tend to inform the seller if it is clearly a mistake by them.

To the Rev2, I have several polys (Peak, DM12, Hydrasynth, Modx, Blofeld, jd-xi, ..) and as others had also said it is the most difficult one to get the sounds I like. At the moment I surprisingly like the Hydrasynth the most.

Best regards
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've read plenty of pooh-poohing of the Rev2, but it has been putting a smile on my face ever since I played the first chord on the default factory preset. A lot of the presets are cheesy, of course, and I imagine if I played it next to a Prophet 6 or an OB-6 or whatever, it would fall a little flat. Who cares? Considering its price point, it is a truly wonderful synth with limitless sonic possibilities. As somebody who can't even really play keys and just likes to dabble and noodle, it's probably more synth than I deserve. But I love it, and it's a keeper. Thank you, Dave Smith, for designing an instrument this nice that I can afford to own.
It only falls flat next to a P6 or OB6 if what you want is what they do and there are good reasons to pooh-pooh those as well, gotta hope my P6 doesn't hear I said that!

Buying a DCO based synth to criticise it for not being a VCO based synth which is a lot of what the pooh-poohing is, is just plain outright weird. It's like buying a Strat and complaining it's not a Les Paul.
It's more of a conduit for some people to express their analogue purism rather than a legitimate criticism of the synth for what it is. Unfortunately it does cloud out the reasonable thoughts & opinions on the Rev2.

If you look at who uses the Prophet 08/Rev2 and listen to what they get out of it, that says a lot more the online opinions of people who really should save and get themselves a Prophet 5 when that is what they actually want and somehow thought a reasonably priced 16-voice DCO synth was the shortcut to get them there.
Old 10th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I would feel a bit guilty about that, but i think i would keep it if it was from some big seller with professional trained employees, not from some poor starving granma who doesn't know what she is selling after her husband died.
Yeah, I certainly would speak up in the latter situation. I ordered this from an online retailer, and after thinking it over (and based on my previous experience working at an online MI retailer), I had a hard time imagining them wanting to deal with two extra rounds of shipping to rectify their mistake. That's how it would have gone at my old employer, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
Its new price is way high for what it offers.

Not that it’s alone in that. And if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks.
You think so? I'm pretty impressed by what it offers, honestly. The Prologue is cheaper, but offers the same limited modulation options as the Minilogue, so I ruled that out. What synths would you put up as offering more for the money?
Old 18th May 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've read plenty of pooh-poohing of the Rev2, but it has been putting a smile on my face ever since I played the first chord on the default factory preset. A lot of the presets are cheesy, of course, and I imagine if I played it next to a Prophet 6 or an OB-6 or whatever, it would fall a little flat.
Agree most of the stock patches aren't good (I do like the first one though!) but with a few modifications some of them can start to sound nice, and the soundsets that some people have come up with such as Luke Neptune or AnalogAudio1 sound great to me - I look forward to trying those out. I feel like this synth is capable of a lot but just haven't had the time to explore it properly yet.

I made this track entirely with the Rev2 using fairly heavily modified stock patches, which I think shows the amazing level of expression you can achieve with this synth (especially using a pedal and aftertouch):
Old 18th May 2020
Deleted a5cda09
The prophet rev2 is a beast! Any moron who dismisses this synth needs to have their head examined. For the price, options, sonic potential, this can’t be beat unless behringer clones the damn thing. The Rev2 is a modern masterpiece that will be talked about 100 years from now if there’s a planet left. The Rev2 in the right hands by someone who can actually play an instrument and not turn knobs and hit blinking buttons is a warhorse for music and sound design. Make no mistake, there are other more expensive options out there but for the money you cannot beat this package. Ignore the haters. They don’t play music anyways. Just blips, blops, and wet farts.
Old 19th May 2020
Gear Maniac

I spent an afternoon playing a bunch of Dave Smith synths including OB6 and P6 and the Rev2 was my favorite and the one I walked out of the store wanting to buy.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

How important is the Aftertouch on the Rev2 for y’all using the keybed? Would assigning it to the modwheel Work for you if you were using a non Aftertouch keyboard controller? Or is the keybed feel and quality alone a big deal for the complete package?

I ask as someone who doesn’t have room for the keybed version with a non Aftertouch synth controller, but might be interested in the desktop Rev2.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
How important is the Aftertouch on the Rev2 for y’all using the keybed? Would assigning it to the modwheel Work for you if you were using a non Aftertouch keyboard controller? Or is the keybed feel and quality alone a big deal for the complete package?

I ask as someone who doesn’t have room for the keybed version with a non Aftertouch synth controller, but might be interested in the desktop Rev2.
I think that comes down to your playing style. On some of the patches I've made, aftertouch is assigned to something; on others, it's not. It's potentially a nice expressive tool if that's the way you like to play, but you can certainly assign the mod wheel to do whatever you might otherwise accomplish with aftertouch. That's the beauty of this synth's architecture and user interface; it imposes very few limitations on what you can do, and it manages to be pretty straightforward at it.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think that comes down to your playing style. On some of the patches I've made, aftertouch is assigned to something; on others, it's not. It's potentially a nice expressive tool if that's the way you like to play, but you can certainly assign the mod wheel to do whatever you might otherwise accomplish with aftertouch. That's the beauty of this synth's architecture and user interface; it imposes very few limitations on what you can do, and it manages to be pretty straightforward at it.
Ah, ok, cool. Thanks for your feedback. I’m thinking of getting the Prologue 8 to control the Rev2 desktop. I’m not much of a player, just try to find nice chords out of chord books to put together with interesting sounds.
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ah, ok, cool. Thanks for your feedback. I’m thinking of getting the Prologue 8 to control the Rev2 desktop. I’m not much of a player, just try to find nice chords out of chord books to put together with interesting sounds.
I agree with Whoopysnorp. How important having aftertouch in a keybed depends mostly on your playing style. It sounds like you'd be fine with a non-AT keybed. Using a modwheel or foot pedal is probably just as good a way to get more expressive sounds as AT.

But in my case, having aftertouch was a key issue. It's why I dismissed the Prologue in the early days when I was looking for a bi-timbral poly analog. I've now got a Minilogue XD module that I'm pretty happy with.

But a few years ago when I bought the Rev2 I needed the aftertouch because that is my play style.* The Rev2 has a pretty decent AT keybed. My main disappointment is that you can't assign AT to layer B only. Layer B was where all my lead patches go.

In your case, a Prologue 8 + Rev2 desktop will make a great combination. They compliment each other well... one is lively and a bit unruly, but limited in modulation possibilities. The other has tons of sound-shaping available, but might the naked oscillators and filter are more tame.

Naked Oskillators. Good name for a band.

* I use both hands (and sometimes a foot!) while playing live on stage, and use AT to bring in vibrato, volume, pitch shifting, or filter opening effects, and don't have a third hand to use a modwheel or an extra foot for a expression pedal. Maybe I could sit to free up my feet, but who wants to see a bass player sitting on stage?
Old 19th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
My main disappointment is that you can't assign AT to layer B only. Layer B was where all my lead patches go.
Beg your pardon? Making a stacked patch where only layer B responds to aftertouch works fine in the Rev2.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Beg your pardon? Making a stacked patch where only layer B responds to aftertouch works fine in the Rev2.
In multimode?

Try setting the layers 2 different MIDI channels, split them, and then try using aftertouch on layer B.
Old 20th May 2020
3bc
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif View Post
I recently bought this sound set and it feels like owning a completely new synth.

http://www.lukeneptune.com/downloads...dset-dsi-rev2/
This is a must buy. $30 does really take the quality of the Rev2 to another level. Probably 30-40 presets there that are above and beyond any of the factory patches, or anything I was able to program when I owned the synth.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
In multimode?

Try setting the layers 2 different MIDI channels, split them, and then try using aftertouch on layer B.
Ah OK, I was thinking in stacked mode.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The more I use the Prophet REV2 (16 voice), the more I love it, this is one of my favorite analog synths, and can get very addictive once you begin programming this beauty. I also have lots of fun running it through an Eventide H9 Max effects pedal, I'm using an iPad to program the H9 Max.

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC View Post
I spent an afternoon playing a bunch of Dave Smith synths including OB6 and P6 and the Rev2 was my favorite and the one I walked out of the store wanting to buy.
You must have hearing like the fella in your avatar.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Love the rev 2 I got yesterday. Compliments the Quantum well. Easy to dial in.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
You must have hearing like the fella in your avatar.
They were all powered off
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
The other day I had my A6, One, and Rev2 all on INIT patches*, and fiddled around for a couple hours seeing how quickly I could get a random sound in my head onto the boards. The Rev2 was quickest and the most colorful of the bunch.

The amazing thing is, I used to really dislike that Curtis filter. Now I always tame it by setting the cutoff, filter env amt, velocity, and keyboard amt all to very low levels. It's easy to get brassy and warm, or full and beefy, or with the resonance up, sparkly or shimmery. The filter's resonance has a great character, I'd say almost more pronounced and useful than the One's SVF, and definitely better than the ladder on either the One or A6.

The Rev2 has bass, is clear, and has the mod matrix up there with the One and A6.

Funny how tastes change with time and experience. (Still not a fan of the envelope curves, though...)

=============================================

* Every time I pull up an INIT patch on the Rev2, the first 2 things I do is get those OSC's in motion. There's a decent variety of tones in there:

slow LFO3 ==> OSC1 waveshape
slow LFO4 ==> OSC2 waveshape

That really warms up the OSCs and gets away from that static DCO sound. Sometimes it's better to just use one OSC, as the two together seem to have less overall volume and kinda phase against each other.

Then you switch to Layer B, do it all again, and have an instant stack with different characters blended together.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

I personally like expression pedal more than mod wheel, as you can control it without taking your hands off the keys. I control my REV2 with a keyboard that has aftertouch though.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear