The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
In praise of the Rev2
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I agree with Whoopysnorp. How important having aftertouch in a keybed depends mostly on your playing style. It sounds like you'd be fine with a non-AT keybed. Using a modwheel or foot pedal is probably just as good a way to get more expressive sounds as AT.

But in my case, having aftertouch was a key issue. It's why I dismissed the Prologue in the early days when I was looking for a bi-timbral poly analog. I've now got a Minilogue XD module that I'm pretty happy with.

But a few years ago when I bought the Rev2 I needed the aftertouch because that is my play style.* The Rev2 has a pretty decent AT keybed. My main disappointment is that you can't assign AT to layer B only. Layer B was where all my lead patches go.

In your case, a Prologue 8 + Rev2 desktop will make a great combination. They compliment each other well... one is lively and a bit unruly, but limited in modulation possibilities. The other has tons of sound-shaping available, but might the naked oscillators and filter are more tame.

Naked Oskillators. Good name for a band.

* I use both hands (and sometimes a foot!) while playing live on stage, and use AT to bring in vibrato, volume, pitch shifting, or filter opening effects, and don't have a third hand to use a modwheel or an extra foot for a expression pedal. Maybe I could sit to free up my feet, but who wants to see a bass player sitting on stage?
Personally, I’d say skip the Prologue and instead get a Hydrasynth. Totally different but cool vibe, would complement the REV2 perfectly and when you find out that the REV2 responds to the poly aftertouch of the Hydrasynth, it’s a whole new instrument. You’ll spend days pretending you’re Vangelis.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Rev2 has bass, is clear, and has the mod matrix up there with the One and A6.
That's good to know. I sold my A6 and thought that the Rev 2 16 voice would be a good replacement if I missed the mod matrix.

Currently Solaris is more than covering those duties but there's definitely a different feeling when it's analog.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp View Post
Considering its price point, it is a truly wonderful synth with limitless sonic possibilities. As somebody who can't even really play keys and just likes to dabble and noodle, it's probably more synth than I deserve. But I love it, and it's a keeper. Thank you, Dave Smith, for designing an instrument this nice that I can afford to own.
Funny you should say that—I heard an interview with Mr. Smith once, on a podcast I think, where he basically said that the Rev2 was the Sequential synth he would particularly recommend to a buyer. He seemed genuinely proud that it was both a quality instrument and not too expensive.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Personally, I’d say skip the Prologue and instead get a Hydrasynth. Totally different but cool vibe, would complement the REV2 perfectly and when you find out that the REV2 responds to the poly aftertouch of the Hydrasynth, it’s a whole new instrument. You’ll spend days pretending you’re Vangelis.
I spent a good deal of time on my Hydrasynth when I first got it. Funny, but the last time I played the Hydra, I had it MIDI'd directly to the Rev2. I forgot what I was trying to accomplish. Think I'll go visit it now.

EDIT: man, that was a good session... Hydra Spectral FP melancholy pads with left hand soloing on MODX7 FM Syn Lead. Kicking myself again for not having a recording setup.

Anyway, on to the Rev2 next...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
That's good to know. I sold my A6 and thought that the Rev 2 16 voice would be a good replacement if I missed the mod matrix.

Currently Solaris is more than covering those duties but there's definitely a different feeling when it's analog.
I really want to get more into my A6... when you hit those sweet moments, it's really lush sounding. But my setup puts the A6 close enough for viewing the screen, but too much I have to arch my neck. And the Andy is a bit glitchy too. Definitely pulls you out of the moment.

That's what makes the Rev2 a couple tiers below it more inviting. It's more consistent and accessible. Both tone-wise and while sound designing. Only thing is the shorter keys are a bit of a turn off.

Will have to look into some videos of the Solaris. I know next to nothing about it, other than it's got this legendary aura around it. It's in that mystery basket along with the Neuron and Schmidt... and the Quantum.
Old 3 days ago
vlz
Lives for gear

It's a great synth. I got an 8 voice but then quickly realised I needed to upgrade, so I got the expansion board.

I never use the presets it came with. First thing I did was to create my own sounds. Easy synth to program too.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I'd say overall that just about all DSI synths are a breeze to sound design on. Esp the later generations with the intuitive mod assignment system. And the Rev2's compact size made it a snap to gig with. That along with a Minitaur brought me 3 channels of analog to stack with Kronos combis. I hear that the Rev2 is one of the more gigged instruments out of all DSIs?

It's a bit ironic that Dave Smith instruments aren't exactly the greatest of MIDI controllers. Assigning and filter MIDI controllers to the layers comes to mind (AT, pitch and mod wheels). There's rumor on the DSI forums that a long-awaited update is in the works. Probably just a couple bug fixes, but I'm holding out hope for Polyphonic Unison.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really want to get more into my A6... when you hit those sweet moments, it's really lush sounding. But my setup puts the A6 close enough for viewing the screen, but too much I have to arch my neck. And the Andy is a bit glitchy too. Definitely pulls you out of the moment.

That's what makes the Rev2 a couple tiers below it more inviting. It's more consistent and accessible. Both tone-wise and while sound designing. Only thing is the shorter keys are a bit of a turn off.

Will have to look into some videos of the Solaris. I know next to nothing about it, other than it's got this legendary aura around it. It's in that mystery basket along with the Neuron and Schmidt... and the Quantum.
Yeah the A6 was hard work but super capable. Not the easiest workflow and the would sound bland far more easily than you would expect.
But it was the main synth I used for 15 years.
Can do as much variety as a wall of modular.

Everything from microtonal world music sounds to recreating the natural world, frogs, birds, rain the sea.
Crazy machine. All that FM is insane.

Solaris is more HiFi and solid. Crazy wall of polyphonic modular. Just as endless and time consuming but more focused in it's tone.
Less nature and organic sounding. More precise. FM and cross modulation of everything by everything creates more metallic resonant and string like sounds. As does the Neuron but that synth goes into by far the weirdest territory of anything I have ever used.
I just bought a quantum for my IDM music as I miss the Neuron. Just waiting for it to arrive.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
Yeah the A6 was hard work but super capable. Not the easiest workflow and the would sound bland far more easily than you would expect.
But it was the main synth I used for 15 years.
Can do as much variety as a wall of modular.

Everything from microtonal world music sounds to recreating the natural world, frogs, birds, rain the sea.
Crazy machine. All that FM is insane.
Wow, that's intriguing you got good natural sounds out of it. My proudest creation were some chamber horn patches... will have to explore the FM side as well.

Quote:
Solaris is more HiFi and solid. Crazy wall of polyphonic modular. Just as endless and time consuming but more focused in it's tone.
Less nature and organic sounding. More precise. FM and cross modulation of everything by everything creates more metallic resonant and string like sounds. As does the Neuron but that synth goes into by far the weirdest territory of anything I have ever used.
I just bought a quantum for my IDM music as I miss the Neuron. Just waiting for it to arrive.
Ha! Funny that you actually are into both a Neuron and Quantum since I mentioned them earlier...

Some of the way you describe the Solaris reminds me of the One. To me, it's more precise, and does string like sounds easily. It's got a very acoustic like quality to it as well, but it seems a bit restrained, not as flabby as the A6 can get. I need to spend more time on both. My longest streak with the One was deliving deep into that SVF... so much variety and character there, compared to the rather one dimensional ladder.

Surprisingly though, the Rev2 has quite a bit more variety to it than the One's ladder, from what I've been to pull out of them. It's easy to get colorful brassy out of the Rev2, but it can also go ambient or experimental or classic 80s. I'm having a tougher time doing that on the One, although I admit I haven't been too adventurous on the experimental side yet.

Got any links to decent Solaris demos?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I can’t speak to the Schmidt or Quantum, but I spent a month playing with the Neuron when they ported it to the Mac, and I was underwhelmed by it. It’s all novelty that ends up producing something that could be done by Absynth or something. I always seemed like I came up with some interesting sound that would have been good for a sci-fi sound effect, but not much else.

I’ve only played the Scope Solaris version, but I have considered the full keyboard, and now that there’s a module version, I’m even more interested. It’s still a bit out-there price wise, but of all the digital VA/Wavetable synths to be released in the last couple of decades, it seems to have the most mojo. Lot’s of character. The Quantum can do a lot more, but it seems the philosophy of it seems to be to provide more of a blank slate, where the Solaris has a definite character to it. You’ll hear it if you listen to the demos. In a sense, I feel it sounds more like a hybrid than the Quantum does.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can’t speak to the Schmidt or Quantum, but I spent a month playing with the Neuron when they ported it to the Mac, and I was underwhelmed by it. It’s all novelty that ends up producing something that could be done by Absynth or something. I always seemed like I came up with some interesting sound that would have been good for a sci-fi sound effect, but not much else.

I’ve only played the Scope Solaris version, but I have considered the full keyboard, and now that there’s a module version, I’m even more interested. It’s still a bit out-there price wise, but of all the digital VA/Wavetable synths to be released in the last couple of decades, it seems to have the most mojo. Lot’s of character. The Quantum can do a lot more, but it seems the philosophy of it seems to be to provide more of a blank slate, where the Solaris has a definite character to it. You’ll hear it if you listen to the demos. In a sense, I feel it sounds more like a hybrid than the Quantum does.
Well that's good to hear about the Neuron... always a good thing in my book to kill the GAS for any exotic gear. I do remember watching a few videos of the Neuron, even with the designer talking about it, but came away with more curiosity than anything else. Kronos is more than enough playgrounds to play in for me.

I peeked at the Quantum thread recently, but the main thing that kills it for me is the huge size and cost. But I bet it sounds gorgeous... is it using SSI filters?

This exploration of gear-mania in the Age of Analog Renaissance has made me appreciate the Qualities of the various filter types I have on hand. I'm still enamored with my Micron's filter types, but I do definitely appreciate my analog filter arsenal -- A6 ladder and SVF, One SVF and ladder, Rev2 Curtis, Minitaur ladder, Boog ladder, Minilogue XD squelcher. Slim Phatty ladder and Matrix 1000 Curtis seem like knock-offs compared to the others, somewhat.

Surprisingly, top 3 faves atm are One SVF, XD and Rev2.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well that's good to hear about the Neuron... always a good thing in my book to kill the GAS for any exotic gear. I do remember watching a few videos of the Neuron, even with the designer talking about it, but came away with more curiosity than anything else. Kronos is more than enough playgrounds to play in for me.

I peeked at the Quantum thread recently, but the main thing that kills it for me is the huge size and cost. But I bet it sounds gorgeous... is it using SSI filters?

This exploration of gear-mania in the Age of Analog Renaissance has made me appreciate the Qualities of the various filter types I have on hand. I'm still enamored with my Micron's filter types, but I do definitely appreciate my analog filter arsenal -- A6 ladder and SVF, One SVF and ladder, Rev2 Curtis, Minitaur ladder, Boog ladder, Minilogue XD squelcher. Slim Phatty ladder and Matrix 1000 Curtis seem like knock-offs compared to the others, somewhat.

Surprisingly, top 3 faves atm are One SVF, XD and Rev2.
I’m not surprised by that. All the demos I’ve heard of the One and XD sound really good. I was tempted to get an XD...

I’m not sure what the Quantum is using for it’s analog filters, and even if I knew, it wouldn’t really mean anything to me. I’ve spent the week listening to Iridium demos and in one the guy goes over the different filter modes (all digital) and they sound pretty good to me... makes me wonder why they bothered to use analog filters in the Quantum in the first place.

But then I drifted back to the idea of finishing off the studio with one more bit of analog... a Dreadbox Abyss. So after a week of listening to Iridium demos... it was like a breath of fresh air. It’s like the Iridium was appealing to my brain and then the Abyss just pulled down my pants and started sucking. What a great sounding filter.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
It’s like the Iridium was appealing to my brain and then the Abyss just pulled down my pants and started sucking. What a great sounding filter.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear